Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Replacing Suspended Fork for Rigid on Giant Roam 0

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 03-12-17, 03:19 PM
SamBike

Bikes: Giant Roam 0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is it possible to replace the Suntour SR suspended fork on my Giant Roam 0 with a Rigid fork ?

Would I notice the benefits of weight loss by using a rigid fork, especially when going uphill ?

The existing fork I believe is a SR Suntour NCX-D lock out, 63mm Travel. Given that the majority of cycling I do is Tarmac cycle paths or packed gravel paths I'm not finding the suspension fork much use to me. I bought the bike used and in fantastic condition so was lucky to have it at such a good price. I've done approaching 250 miles on it now but would be willing to replace the suspended fork if I would notice the benefits.

If it can be done, any suggestions regarding type, make and model of rigid fork would be appreciated.

Thanks again.
Old 03-12-17, 05:29 PM
jase33

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS 4, 2014 Niner RLT 9 [storage], K2 Shadow 9 [indoor trainer]

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, it is possible to replace the front fork with a rigid one.

There will certainly be a weight savings. The benefits of that will depend on how you ride. I have a lockout suspension fork on my DS4 and have no issues climbing however I keep it because I do ride some gravel/tracks/dirt paths and I like the cushion of the fork at times.

If you are going to do it I would say look for a carbon fork if you are looking for the most weight savings. They can get pricey so make sure you shop around. Start at your Giant LBS and see what they say. They may be able to order one from Giant for you. I also suggest you take a look at Ritchey or Whiskey and I think Specialized sells one separately now too. Its an important part of the bike and you want to be sure it wont fail.

But if your comfortable riding the fork you have that's okay too.
Old 03-12-17, 05:45 PM
mickw

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 3 , 2001 Trek 700 Multitrack , 2017 Surly LHT

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking into this myself also.
This looks like a match more or less.
Forks | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes
Both style brakes , length about right , I would leave the stem uncut.
I figured about a 2 lb weight savings from the suspension setup.
I found them new for around $120.00.
It's do-able if you want to save weight and maintenance over time.
Mick
Old 03-12-17, 06:18 PM
therealjoeblow

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 1 | 2002 Giant Sedona LX | 1980s Norco Monterey SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you think that 2lbs really makes a significant and noticeable difference?

I mean, if you weigh 200 lbs, and the bike weighs 25 lbs, that's less than 1% savings.

If it is (significant), you can also shed more than that by switching from the highly rated Schwalbe Marathon Plus at around 1kg each that many use to a nice cyclocross tire at 300-400g each... That would be a better and much more cost effective weight reduction IMO because it's rotating mass as opposed to static mass, and more likely to affect your bike's performance.

My opinion is that it's not a worthwhile change the fork if you are simply looking to shed weight, there's not likely enough there to make a noticeable difference, and the cost is between 10% and 20% of the bike's original value, labour not included. On the otherhand, you have to change tires every couple of years anyway, so that's a "free" weight loss if you pick better ones (assuming you are using relatively heavy ones to start with).

Cheers
TRJB

Last edited by therealjoeblow; 03-12-17 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-13-17, 05:09 AM
rise000
litrenka

Bikes: Trek FX

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
I did it on my two Roams

Roam XR1 with Carbon Cycles rigid fork:

Roam 2 with Surly Karate Monkey fork:

you need to find rigid fork with atc 460-470mm...make, model and material are at your will depending on budget....
Old 03-13-17, 01:44 PM
SamBike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I'm definately going yo look into the options. The Suntour suspension has its benefits especially on uneven forestry roads, I've not tried a rigid fork on those rides but I'm not sure that I will miss it that much.
Anyone know how heavy my Suntour Suspended fork is compared to a standard rigid or carbon rigid fork.
Old 03-13-17, 03:43 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow
Do you think that 2lbs really makes a significant and noticeable difference?

I mean, if you weigh 200 lbs, and the bike weighs 25 lbs, that's less than 1% savings.
It's not really about the overall weight.
Swapping an inexpensive and kinda heavy sus fork for a rigid does a lot more for the feel and handling of the bike than the reduction in overall weight would suggest.
Old 03-13-17, 07:48 PM
therealjoeblow

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 1 | 2002 Giant Sedona LX | 1980s Norco Monterey SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SamBike
Thanks for the replies, I'm definately going yo look into the options. The Suntour suspension has its benefits especially on uneven forestry roads, I've not tried a rigid fork on those rides but I'm not sure that I will miss it that much.
Anyone know how heavy my Suntour Suspended fork is compared to a standard rigid or carbon rigid fork.
Not sure about the rigid's, but the Suntour NEX on the Roam 1/2/3 is about 2.3kg's and the NCX on the Roam 0 is 2.0kg's. I just looked those up in the Suntour catalog.

Cheers
TRJB
Old 04-17-17, 12:38 PM
gas_pig70

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just replaced the Suntour NEX HLO, on my 2016 Roam 2 after a bunch of research with the Nashbar Full Carbon 29er Fork (Item# NB-C29F).

Weight savings was almost 4.5lbs and it feels great on dirt trails, gravel and pavement. You'd surprised how much this rigid fork sucks up manhole covers and such. The price is right @ $179 USD and the fit, finish and geo works perfect for the Roam. I did end up lowering my stem a few spacers over stock to dial some additional stability and aero which made it perform even better as a flat-bar gravel grinder/adventure bike.

Here's the stats on the forks using my Feedback Sports hanging scale:
Suntour NEX HLO: 5.93lbs/2.69kg (including crown race)
Nashbar Rigid: 1.48lbs/0.67kg (w/o crown race)

Last edited by gas_pig70; 04-17-17 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-17-17, 08:05 PM
johnny_t

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey rise, thinking about converting my roam to a rigid setup. Which fork do you prefer out of the two(looks and ride quality)? I do most of my riding in the city.
Old 04-17-17, 08:44 PM
jase33

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS 4, 2014 Niner RLT 9 [storage], K2 Shadow 9 [indoor trainer]

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gas_pig70
I just replaced the Suntour NEX HLO, on my 2016 Roam 2 after a bunch of research with the Nashbar Full Carbon 29er Fork (Item# NB-C29F).

Weight savings was almost 4.5lbs and it feels great on dirt trails, gravel and pavement. You'd surprised how much this rigid fork sucks up manhole covers and such. The price is right @ $179 USD and the fit, finish and geo works perfect for the Roam. I did end up lowering my stem a few spacers over stock to dial some additional stability and aero which made it perform even better as a flat-bar gravel grinder/adventure bike.

Here's the stats on the forks using my Feedback Sports hanging scale:
Suntour NEX HLO: 5.93lbs/2.69kg (including crown race)
Nashbar Rigid: 1.48lbs/0.67kg (w/o crown race)
Got any pics??
Old 04-25-17, 09:50 AM
gas_pig70

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here you go.

giant-carbonforks1.jpg

giant-carbonforks2.jpg
Old 04-25-17, 03:00 PM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Quite like my suspension , feels great locked out as well, but the options here are great to see in the event it were to fail out of warranty period or I got the mod bug down the road
Old 04-25-17, 03:23 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 471 Posts
I wasn't able to find the axle-to-fork crown measurement on your fork at the Suntour site, but since it is 63mm suspension, I'd say the measurement is about 43cm. This is a critical measurement, because it will determine whether your bars will be the same height as now. I totally recommend the swap. You'll be glad you did.
A good, welded alloy rigid fork will weigh 1/3 of your current fork. I am doing the same thing now, on my 26" mtb.
This one gets good reviews: Kinesis Maxlight XLT Forks | Chain Reaction Cycles
Old 09-15-17, 11:16 AM
JonnyVain

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rise000
I did it on my two Roams

Roam XR1 with Carbon Cycles rigid fork:

Roam 2 with Surly Karate Monkey fork:

you need to find rigid fork with atc 460-470mm...make, model and material are at your will depending on budget....
NICE! You are an artist. What's your drivetrain? SRAM, Deore? I have Deore XT and 9 speed cassette I plan on adding, and would like a two speed crank.

I replaced my Fork with a Surly Ogre. Axle to crown was almost identical as the locked out suspension. Saved 2lbs as stated. Also recently replaced my stem with a Ritchey Comp 90mm and bar with a Race Face Evolve. Bike is now at 28lbs.

The shorter stem and slightly increased offset of the fork give it better handling. I also hated the locked out NEX as it would slam over bumps.

I'll post pics tonight.

Did OP pull the trigger on a rigid?
Old 09-15-17, 04:10 PM
Maverick 13330

Bikes: 2005 GIANT STP2, 2015 ROAM3, 1993 Trek 7900 Multitrack, Critical Single Speed

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Roam3 served me well. Already put 5000miles in just 2.5years. Its not gonna hurt I think if i replace my nex fork for a rigid one. Bought on CL old threadless giant ocr fork for 10bucks. Though its a caliper brake compatible only, i have a tektro brake in my bin its not gonna break bank.
Old 04-02-19, 01:06 PM
SamBike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I created this thread I have for the past 14months been using another bike but have just got the Roam back from by brother who has been using it.

Ive decided that the fork in the Roam needs to be replaced and I am favouring getting a rigid carbon fork to replace the cheap Suntour suspended fork the bike came with.

Is is this an easy job to do and roughly how long will it take to swap the forks. Is this a job for an expert bike service repair person as I'm thinking of trying it myself as the bike shops seem to be busy this time of year.

Thanks again.
Old 04-02-19, 07:26 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Not familiar with your bike but I replaced a very heavy RockShox OEM fork on my Gary Fisher with a Surly fork and I couldn't be happier. I saved a few pounds but more importantly, I stopped sapping energy caused by the bobbing due to shock. I do 90% of my biking on roads so the smoother ride is also more comfortable.
Old 04-03-19, 04:33 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by SamBike
Is is this an easy job to do and roughly how long will it take to swap the forks. Is this a job for an expert bike service repair person as I'm thinking of trying it myself as the bike shops seem to be busy this time of year.

Thanks again.
It's not difficult but the tools are expensive and even in a shop setting they are among the lesser used common tools. It is by far cheaper to pay the shop to do it right than to buy the tools needed. There are workarounds but YMMV.
Old 04-03-19, 05:39 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
It's not difficult but the tools are expensive and even in a shop setting they are among the lesser used common tools. It is by far cheaper to pay the shop to do it right than to buy the tools needed. There are workarounds but YMMV.
What special tools assuming the headset cups are the same?
Headset is one of the few items I haven't installed yet for lack of need. But OP should be able to reuse that.
Other than that fork replacement seems easy.
Old 04-03-19, 05:44 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
What special tools assuming the headset cups are the same?
Headset is one of the few items I haven't installed yet for lack of need. But OP should be able to reuse that.
Other than that fork replacement seems easy.
Race remover, race setter, maybe a star nut installer, and maybe special blades for crabon
Old 04-03-19, 07:55 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
I agree with DorkDisk. I just replaced my suspension fork on my Crosstrail. Found it was cheaper to have LBS do this rather than buying a cutting tool. LBS charged: $20 for cutting and installing and $15 for repacking the headset bearings. Cutting tool guides range from cheap $15 to over $40 for the good tools. If you don't have the proper saw, then that is an additional expense.

To me, being how little I would use it, I felt it better to have this done at LBS and not waste money on a tool that would not be used often.
Old 04-03-19, 02:31 PM
SamBike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I will contact my local bicycle shop for an estimate for supply and fit. i do find the Roam a more comfortable bike to ride than the Giant Rapid I've been using recently, although the Rapid is a little easier getting up the hills near me. I have 32mm tyres on my Rapid whereas the Roam has 40mm wide tyres which will soon need replacing also,
Old 04-03-19, 03:35 PM
DorkDisk

Originally Posted by travbikeman
I agree with DorkDisk. I just replaced my suspension fork on my Crosstrail. Found it was cheaper to have LBS do this rather than buying a cutting tool. LBS charged: $20 for cutting and installing and $15 for repacking the headset bearings. Cutting tool guides range from cheap $15 to over $40 for the good tools. If you don't have the proper saw, then that is an additional expense.

To me, being how little I would use it, I felt it better to have this done at LBS and not waste money on a tool that would not be used often.
A good hacksaw is useful around the house and for cutting handlebars and seatposts (more common)

Removing and installing a crown race without the proper tools is almost impossible. The race is a part of the headset and needs to be pressed into the fork for the headset bearings to roll on. Each headset uses a unique race and close enough doesn't work here.

The race remover and installer do one job each and do it well.

Chopping the steerer is the easy part.

Then theres spillover tools and hardware: torque wrench for crabon, files, housing ties, maybe brake adjustment.
Old 04-03-19, 08:05 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
I agree with DorkDisk. I just replaced my suspension fork on my Crosstrail.
Have you posted pics of your Crosstrail with new fork?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.