Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Official BF Eroica California 2020 Roll Call!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Official BF Eroica California 2020 Roll Call!

Old 01-07-20, 05:32 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by rch427
er...well, it's not so much my shape that's the issue; it's more the combination of being my 56, and riding a 68 year-old bike with a 3-speed hub. There's only so much one can do with those factors.

Perhaps we should have a prize for "greatest combined age of rider and bike". I'm clocking in at 124!
Interesting way to rate oneself - my bike is 48 years old and I’m 64 so 112 bike-years here. Some of our Velo-retro riders would have you beat.
Old 01-07-20, 06:04 AM
mech986 

As for the PB route, my understanding was it was created as more of an easier and scenic ride although I had heard rumors that Eroica did try to gain some access to the eastern hillside roads for some climbing challenge and additional elevation views. However, most if not all the land north of Cambria is owned by the Hearst Family still and not publicly accessible for liability reasons. Sad because any number of north-northeastern mountain roads from Cambria would have spectacular riding and views.

Might be interesting to consider blocking off some roads roads like Bridge Street in town that climbs north to almost Cambria Pines Road. There one would have to cross over a very short unpaved private easement to Cambria Pines and then could head down a slightly winding descent to Highway 1. Problem is the roads are used by local residents, are narrow and have some blind spots making riding and cars a potentially risky situation. There are a number of local streets to the west end and southwest ends of town which could provide some climbing challenge for the short ride but all have the same residential use issues.

Otherwise maybe there’s a way to ride counterclockwise up the Cypress Descent to Cypress Summit and then back down. I guarantee you that although that would only be about 30 miles and no ocean scenic view, it would be quite a challenge.
Old 01-10-20, 01:21 PM
socaltrailrider

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7, Niner RLT9 RDO, Ibis Rimpo & Ripley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Will be the first time for me. Just refurbished a Bianchi Vittorio to ride in the event. Signed up for the Santa Lucia route. Looking forward to the ride.

1. Paul, socaltrailrider, Carlsbad CA

2. Route : 75 Santa Lucia (SL),

3. Primary Riding Bike - Bianchi Vittoria

3A. New info request this year - F/R gearing 35-48 crankset, 13-30 6 speed cassette, Conti GP4000’s, 25mm, Decent climber

4. Planned dates of arrival and departure and Where you be staying? TBD

5. Any additional activities - TBD
Likes For socaltrailrider:
Old 01-12-20, 03:40 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Towards the end we toured the moonstone beach and did the climb up the hill to take the back road intoCambria . We noticed a lot did not and rode into town the way we left. To each , their own. Joe
I think a lot of people missed that turn, it wasn't all that well marked.
Old 01-22-20, 06:14 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by rch427
I'm going to have to figure out (once they post the maps) if I can do part of another route instead.
I too would like an option between 30 miles of flat and 73 miles of serious hills. Maybe a shortened Santa Lucia route, removing a loop would be the ticket. Something like one of these:

Not having done any l'Eroica before, is this sort of thing OK, or discouraged?
-John
Old 01-22-20, 06:17 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
They give you a card that you get stamped. I think that you need that card to receive the prize, which was a bottle of cheap wine last year. just try not to cut off any check points if you care about the wine.
Old 01-23-20, 09:29 AM
jcb3

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
I too would like an option between 30 miles of flat and 73 miles of serious hills. Maybe a shortened Santa Lucia route, removing a loop would be the ticket. Something like one of these:

Not having done any l'Eroica before, is this sort of thing OK, or discouraged?
-John
I was up there riding over Thanksgiving and looked at the route you suggest. You can't turn left off of Santa Rita Road to get back to 46 on Santa Rita Ranch Road - I believe that is a locked gate, so you would need to go all the way to Templeton anyway, so not much gain there.

Also note the portion from 46 on Santa Rosa Creek Road is a brutally steep hill at the end, before you wind down to where Cypress Mt enters. Way more than 20%.

Cutting it short and riding up Old Creek Road to 46 (rather than turn right on Santa Rita Road) is pretty hairy, a good 12-14% all the way, narrow and very twisty. I try to ride it Thanksgiving morning, to avoid traffic, which is usually ok.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2897978786

I won't comment on cutting the Eroica route short, I have always liked the company (even in misery)

Best of luck this year, I won't be making it, have other spring commitments, be back year after next.

Joe
Old 02-07-20, 08:13 AM
hwheel72 
Steele is Real

Bikes: 86 De Rosa Pro, 79 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 72 Nishiki Professional, 71 Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by socaltrailrider
Will be the first time for me. Just refurbished a Bianchi Vittorio to ride in the event. Signed up for the Santa Lucia route. Looking forward to the ride.

1. Paul, socaltrailrider, Carlsbad CA

2. Route : 75 Santa Lucia (SL),

3. Primary Riding Bike - Bianchi Vittoria

3A. New info request this year - F/R gearing 35-48 crankset, 13-30 6 speed cassette, Conti GP4000’s, 25mm, Decent climber

4. Planned dates of arrival and departure and Where you be staying? TBD

5. Any additional activities - TBD
What is your BCD on your crank? Looking for a smaller granny? Currently I'm running 42/28t....
Old 02-07-20, 10:24 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
Originally Posted by hwheel72
What is your BCD on your crank? Looking for a smaller granny? Currently I'm running 42/28t....
That looks like a Campy Victory crankset. It has a weird (116mm) BCD that will only go down to a 35T inner chainring.
Old 02-07-20, 11:12 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Last year @Andy_K thought up a way to break Eroica.

As many have noted, the 36 mile Piedras Blancas route (up and down the coast, no real climbing) is pretty short and easy for those in reasonable shape, but all of the rest of the routes have signficant climbing, including the notorious Cypress climb.

But if you got up early and rode down to Cayucas along the coast, then turned around and rode back to Cambria, there's a good chance you'd get back in time for the Piedras Blancas start. Round trip Cambria-Cayucas is 36 mile, so you could get in 72 miles of beautiful coastal riding and avoid the killer climbs. Cayucas Pier as the sun comes up is pretty sweet.

BTW, Andy slept in and dreamt of riding to Cayucas and back.

I wouldn't call it cheating - you pay the same price regardless of the course you select, and it's not a closed course. You'd only "get credit" for doing the short ride, but that and a coupla bucks will get you a coffee at Starbucks...
Old 02-07-20, 07:48 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
BTW, Andy slept in and dreamt of riding to Cayucas and back.
There's an old Zen saying, "When hungry, eat. When tired, sleep." I was tired, so I slept.
Old 02-08-20, 02:32 AM
mech986 

New Start / Finish and Festival Grounds announced

So here is a link to 2020 Eroica California’s changes announced on their main page.

The Vintage rides’ Start / Finish and Festival will be at the Veteran’s Hall and the west adjacent Pinedorado Grounds in the heart of Cambria. Some modified routes for the Classic and Nova rides are already on Ride With GPS. There is a Farmer’s Market held in the east adjacent parking lot on Friday so I’m not sure how that will work out with any Friday Festival setup.

I will inquire as to whether there will be use of the Veteran’s Hall for Saturday festivities like either the Concours or maybe Swap Meet. That would provide shade, sitting, restrooms, and maybe some refreshments? Otherwise, I suspect it would be outdoors in both the Pinedorado Grounds and the Hall’s parking lot.

Here’s the official announcement:

Our new 2020 Festival Grounds

We are pleased to announce our new Festival Grounds and roll-out Start/Finish at the Veterans’ Memorial Building on the Pinedorado Grounds in Cambria. The Veterans’ Hall hosts the Friday Farmer’s Market and supports the local Lion’s Club, a beneficiary of Nova Eroica and Eroica California. Adjoining the Festival on Friday only is the local Cambria community Farmer’s Market where the locals shop for organic fruit, produce and more.

Venue & Start/Finish Location:
Veterans’ Memorial Building, 1000 Main St on the corner of Main and Cambria Drive.

https://mailchi.mp/982d464c062f/our-new-2020-festival-grounds-

If needed, I’m hoping to offer sponsorship of a large tent to provide shade. Sorta wonder though whether there’s room for it.

Last edited by mech986; 02-08-20 at 02:35 AM.
Old 02-08-20, 10:21 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by mech986

If needed, I’m hoping to offer sponsorship of a large tent to provide shade. Sorta wonder though whether there’s room for it.
Hmmm, how about a combined BF/CR tent? It could be a meeting place for everyone. Somebody brings an old school Polaroid camera, pix posted on a board...just thinking out loud here.
Old 02-08-20, 03:01 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Hmmm, how about a combined BF/CR tent? It could be a meeting place for everyone. Somebody brings an old school Polaroid camera, pix posted on a board...just thinking out loud here.
Im taking along a 10X10 canopy and a couple of chairs. Im IN if you want to set up a Bike Forums vintage area.
Old 02-08-20, 10:41 PM
mech986 

it would be nice but I don’t know if the powers that be with either site would be ok with using their names or logos. Informally done might be ok.
Old 02-08-20, 10:44 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

it would be nice but I don’t know if the powers that be with either site would be ok with using their names or logos. Informally done might be ok.
Pretty sure we can get CR approval, it’s pretty straightforward who to ask.
Old 02-08-20, 10:53 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
You just have to spell it wrong!

Byek Fourums heer.
Old 02-10-20, 08:40 AM
socaltrailrider

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7, Niner RLT9 RDO, Ibis Rimpo & Ripley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
That looks like a Campy Victory crankset. It has a weird (116mm) BCD that will only go down to a 35T inner chainring.
That is correct.
Old 02-10-20, 10:22 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
I think that you need that card to receive the prize, which was a bottle of cheap wine last year. just try not to cut off any check points if you care about the wine.
If I finish the first person to ask can have the wine. I am not a drinker. I would like to keep the bottle. 😁

Last edited by daviddavieboy; 02-11-20 at 01:37 AM.
Old 02-10-20, 10:47 PM
MrK.

Bikes: 2011 Handsome/ Twin Six Speedy Devil, 2006 Soma Groove, 1991 Haro Impulse Comp, 1987 KHS Montana Pro, 1986 Ross Mount Hood, 1986 Mongoose ATB, 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker I, 1973 World Voyageur, 1941 Schwinn DX "Klunker"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 45 Posts
I have not read this whole thread. I'm not sure if entry is even open anymore but we are looking for something to do in April. I have a 73 World Voyageur, completely original except tubes/tires. Would this be an appropriate bike?
Old 02-10-20, 11:17 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by MrK.
I have not read this whole thread. I'm not sure if entry is even open anymore but we are looking for something to do in April. I have a 73 World Voyageur, completely original except tubes/tires. Would this be an appropriate bike?
Registration is still open and yes, your bike would be fine.
Likes For Choke:
Old 02-11-20, 04:15 AM
Kabuki12

Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,268 Posts
I have changed my riding plans as far as my bike selection . I am riding my new to me Medici 1982 I think . It has aero style brake levers that are older Gran Compe anodized. I am not sure what year the levers are , whether they are pre 1987 or not . I don’t want this to be a problem , I like to stick with the idea of the vintage theme.
Old 02-11-20, 06:44 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
Look what I got in the mail yesterday! NOW I am ready for Eroica!

Likes For mgopack42:
Old 02-11-20, 07:45 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I have changed my riding plans as far as my bike selection . I am riding my new to me Medici 1982 I think . It has aero style brake levers that are older Gran Compe anodized. I am not sure what year the levers are , whether they are pre 1987 or not . I don’t want this to be a problem , I like to stick with the idea of the vintage theme.
Levers are not a problem with organizers. (My 82 Pro Strada had non Aero Record brakes and levers)
Old 02-11-20, 08:02 AM
Kabuki12

Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,268 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Levers are not a problem with organizers. (My 82 Pro Strada had non Aero Record brakes and levers)
Thank you, I think I will leave the bike the way it is except for the freewheel which will be changed to 14-28 or 26 . I was pretty certain , unless this was a custom built frame only purchase from Medici, that the brakes were changed. The guy I bought it from gave me a box of early Campagnolo NR/SR brakes(plus 1 extra caliper ) +misc. parts for an extra $35. These Gran Compe brakes with the Modolo pads stop as good or better than any of my other bikes, even the Mafac Racers. I am certain the Mavic wheels( Aero Spokes) are also borderline for period correct. All in , I think the bike fits the vibe of Eroica . I don't know if you still own yours , but I would like to know the serial # . I went on CR and checked out the registry and near as I can tell, mine is 1982. This bike really rides nicely just the way it is , best $300 I have spent on a bike! Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.