Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Favorite bystander comments

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Favorite bystander comments

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-19, 08:26 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
Not from a bystander, but from a pace line going by. First ride on my first Jan De Reus. I love my Lejeunes, but for some reason Dutch bikes make me get up and go. Getting onto a long stretch, I saw a shop ride coming a bit off and decided I would see how long I could hold them off. All too soon (to my mind) they were buzzing by me. I heard several "nice ride" and the like, but the one that made my day was, "I thought we would catch you sooner."

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 11-01-19, 09:06 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
This happened to a friend of mine. He rode over a few days from Princeton, NJ to Fredericksburg, VA. In rural Virginia, he met a man outside a general store, and they got to talking. When my friend explained that he had ridden from New Jersey, the man said, in a strong southern accent, "Now, why would you do a damn fool thing like that?"

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-01-19, 09:07 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

On my long tour in France, I noticed that the French were aware of bike racing but not touring. I was an oddball. One tough rainy day, the road was empty. I rode by a house, and a little boy was sitting on his steps. When he saw me, he clapped and yelled, "Bravo!" It cheered me up, and I smiled.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-01-19, 09:08 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

In heavy traffic in NYC on a Friday night, I was passed by a fancy SUV filled with four young men out looking for fun, I suppose. They yelled out to me, "We love your legs!"

Old 11-01-19, 10:54 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
I used to commute to work at 3:30 am, well before the sun came up.

One morning while I was stopped at a red light, a car pulled up directly alongside me and the passenger side window slowly started to roll down. I thought, am I going to get shot? Is this it? There's nowhere to go, I'm finished....

Then I see an elderly lady in the driver's seat with no other passengers. She leans over and says, "I like your blinky light." The light turns green, she drives off, I'm standing there stunned.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 11-01-19, 11:06 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,818 Times in 1,539 Posts
on my commute two guys decked out, nice kit, newish carbon bikes, pull in behind me on my commute....I was moving ok, but motioned them to pass....

their response was " no we want to draft the guy with the de rosa"

so of course I killed my self upping the pace until they turned of.

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 11-01-19, 11:41 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2196 Post(s)
Liked 4,595 Times in 1,764 Posts
During one of my first cycling trips in France, years ago, I was riding my old racing bike through the countryside and an old farmer looked up, saw me coming, grew an enormous smile on his face and yelled "Allez Poupou!"

He made my day, if not week.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 11-01-19, 11:51 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Two comments come to mind. A few weeks ago, we had a local election, which happened to be on opening day of the school year. Our polling place was at a nearby middle school, which I knew would be crowded. It was also very warm that day. I decided to ride the old Peugeot. I chained it up to the pole outside the school room used as a polling place. After voting, as I was unlocking my bike, an older couple. (I'm 70) came walking up, looking hot and sweaty. They said it was a good idea to ride the bike, as they had to park "a mile away" and walk. I agreed. Riding my bike is almost always a good idea.

A few years ago, I was on an easy Sunday afternoon cruise on my '64 Legnano. An older gray bearded guy on a mountain bike caught up with me, checked out my bike, and said, "That's a mid '60s Legnano?".

I said, "Yeah, '64, that I've had since new".

He said, "Its good to see the old stuff still out on the road."

I replied, "You mean me or the bike?"

"Both", he said.
Old 11-01-19, 11:52 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
I used to commute to work at 3:30 am, well before the sun came up.

One morning while I was stopped at a red light, a car pulled up directly alongside me and the passenger side window slowly started to roll down. I thought, am I going to get shot? Is this it? There's nowhere to go, I'm finished....

Then I see an elderly lady in the driver's seat with no other passengers. She leans over and says, "I like your blinky light." The light turns green, she drives off, I'm standing there stunned.
Similar experience. Riding on the shoulder of a highway up a hill at oh dark thirty coming home from work. Moving along about 20 MPH (we were all once young and skinny, weren't we) when I notice a pickup slowing down to pace me. I too am wondering if I am about to be shot when the window comes down. "Twenty up this hill....pretty good." And he drove off.

And one I did for another rider. Was walking a trail and had observed a rider coming. I was on a high point and watched him labor his way up to me. I stood there and said "Allez, allez", clapped, and made noise like a cowbell clanging. Guy laughed and said "Thanks, man. I needed that." Kind of made my day.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 11-01-19, 12:04 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I did a bank run one day on my bike. When I came out, I was approached by a group of girl scouts selling cookies. I said, I didn't have any way to carry them. One little girl said, "You have three pockets in the back of your shirt".

I bought two boxes, as a reward for their entrepreneurial creativity.
Old 11-01-19, 01:06 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 892 Times in 381 Posts
One morning I decided to ride in Central Park (Manhattan, of course). It was my one and only time, Also, it was years ago and I was younger and stronger. I'm doing laps and I end up with a string of about 10 riders on my wheel. All I heard from them was "Who is this guy? Who is this guy?" It made me feel good.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 11-01-19, 01:35 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
This past June, we were on a weekend in Portland, Maine. We had our eight-year-old grandson, Tristan, with us for the weekend, and we took a ferry to Peaks Island. The boat was loaded with people and loaded with bikes. In front of me, was a 30-ish chap with a black Raleigh Competition. Nothing fancy, it was a rider. I went up to him and said, "Hey Nice bike, man! I love those old Raleighs!" We struck up a conversation after that and soon we docked.

Later on, as we were riding around the island loop, we stopped at a place on the shore to have lunch. Five minutes afterwards, the guy with the Competition stopped also. I said hey again, and he pointed to my Troll, "Hey that's a nice bike too!" After he left, Tristan puddled up and said, "He didn't like my bike! How come he didn't say that I had a nice bike?" His tears fell down his cheeks, clearly hurt from the lack of recognition.

I fought very hard to stifle a big wide grin, and explained to him that his bike was very nice, and that he shouldn't be sad that no one said anything about it. I said maybe the guy never saw it? Tristan got over it, and we had a great day.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 11-01-19, 02:05 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
mswesti : How much did you lose selling that bike ? markwesti : only a couple huni , honey .
Old 11-01-19, 04:38 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I was out riding on the MUP in Oak Ridge, TN, and a window rolled down "Nice Atomic Legs" was yelled. I yelled back, "Thanks" The ultimate compliment physically challenged me ever gets when he rides.
Likes For Kent T:
Old 11-01-19, 06:10 PM
515Cycling

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda, 1976 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 27 Posts
Climbing Mount Evans

As I finished the climb at the summit of Mount Evans right at the parking lot, a man saw that I had climbed up to 14,130 (+/-). He had just gotten out of his car and was walking over to the summit sign. He looked at me and said, "You are a f**king animal!" Best memory!

Last edited by 515Cycling; 11-01-19 at 06:14 PM.
Likes For 515Cycling:
Old 11-01-19, 07:22 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Got lots, but my all time favorite is the little boy walking with his mother after seeing me ride by on my recumbent, "mommy, what's wrong with that man that he has to ride a bicycle like that?"
I think the same thing whenever I see a recumbent.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 11-01-19, 11:39 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 322 Posts
After a ride a few years ago I was chatting with a friend about getting a rack for his Mini. He's a meticulous clean-freak and insisted on putting his partially disassembled bike in a custom made bike bag before putting it inside the Mini. This usually took quite a bit of time and frustration. During our discussion, he sees a couple of ladies who'd recently finished their ride and was curious about the brand of the bike rack attached to their car's trunk. He strolled over and said, "That's a nice rack.....umm..bike rack!"

I still kid him about it to this day.
Likes For Brad L:
Old 11-02-19, 09:59 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I was 21 years old and climbing Mt. Wilson (Los Angeles) with my 50-year-old friend, cycling partner, and part-time employer. We stopped about halfway up for a rest where a group of Boy Scouts was breaking camp. The Scout leader said, "Boy, I'm glad I not with you," alluding to the difficulty of our climb. "Where did you start -- Glendale?" Ollie honestly answered, "Santa Monica," (I joined him in west Los Angeles) which drew the response, "I'm really glad I'm not with you."
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 11-02-19, 10:02 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
(Looking at the downtube), What are those levers for?
Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 11-02-19, 10:59 AM
Iowa10Speed
Iowa10Speed

Bikes: 87 Schwinn Prologue, 85 Trek 720, 86 Panasonic Pro Touring, 75 Schwinn Voyageur II ("Voyareo"). projects: 98 Lemond Zurich, 81 Raleigh Competition GS, 50 Schwinn Superior

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
A Walgreens pharmacist's smile when I rolled up to her drive-thru window.
Old 11-02-19, 11:03 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,793 Times in 2,280 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
During one of my first cycling trips in France, years ago, I was riding my old racing bike through the countryside and an old farmer looked up, saw me coming, grew an enormous smile on his face and yelled "Allez Poupou!"

He made my day, if not week.
Somebody's not going to get that, and it's worth getting.

Poupou
Old 11-02-19, 11:04 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,793 Times in 2,280 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
(Looking at the downtube), What are those levers for?
Some of us have heard them referred to as "suicide levers." Guy at work did that just a few months ago.
Old 11-02-19, 11:19 AM
Iowa10Speed
Iowa10Speed

Bikes: 87 Schwinn Prologue, 85 Trek 720, 86 Panasonic Pro Touring, 75 Schwinn Voyageur II ("Voyareo"). projects: 98 Lemond Zurich, 81 Raleigh Competition GS, 50 Schwinn Superior

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Written for a church group, but suitable regardless of your beliefs ...

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”
Matthew 5:3 (NRSV)

I straddle my bike, panting easily, sweating, waiting for the light on Urbandale Avenue. I’m really dripping in the wicked August sun.

Ahead lies a good hill, a remnant of a trestle that got the old trolleys over Merle Hay Road to the turnaround. My red backpack, bulging with business suit, laptop and folders, digs into my back. Light still red.

The car beside me rolls a window. Frosty air within collides with the wet heat of my world. A fog bank forms, blurring a young man’s face. He hollers the most clever cruelty he can think of:

“Get a car!”

The light changes before my brain decodes his rant. I smile. “I have two new ones in my garage,” I would have said.

He wouldn’t get it.

I chose my apparent misery. I love summer heat indexes. Biking back and forth to work satisfies both curiosity and challenge. I save gas. But those are boring cover stories.

What I did not expect were sun rays behind clouds, pulling me downtown each morning. Neighborhood streets ease me home each night. Daybreaks set rhythm, evenings add texture. Soccer balls and pony tails bounce haphazardly in front of me. Self-important dogs yip behind me. Fresh cut grass. The first tint of fall. Gliding through raindrops. Four wheels can never match the poverty of two.

On every street, the call for more is loud: seek more comfort, more tech, more speed, more status.

Bicycles create the opposite: vulnerability, openness and humility. We can choose similar characteristics for our spirits.

The poor spirit turns aside jeers, notices each detail of joy, savors each blessing of peace. Invite your spirit to inhabit poverty.
Likes For Iowa10Speed:
Old 11-02-19, 11:40 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I once sold a bike to 6'2" 225 lb college tailback. Friction 2x9 Comp TA. I called a year later and he was doing crits with it in SC.

I would really like to hear those bystander comments.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 11-02-19, 02:04 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Some of us have heard them referred to as "suicide levers." Guy at work did that just a few months ago.
Alternatively, "reach-down switchers"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.