Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Handlebars for touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Handlebars for touring

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-20, 06:49 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
fishboat, those are interesting, especially the slight sweep for the tops, which I know must feel good on the hands.
I guess the only downside to these riser style drops is maybe being tricky for mounting stuff on the tops if the angled part gets in the way right where you want to attach something.
Old 11-18-20, 09:38 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
fishboat, those are interesting, especially the slight sweep for the tops, which I know must feel good on the hands.
I guess the only downside to these riser style drops is maybe being tricky for mounting stuff on the tops if the angled part gets in the way right where you want to attach something.
That might be so, especially if there are multiple items. I'm pretty sold on the second stem/auxillary bar concept now though. It solves so many problems.

I noticed an interesting thing when looking at the pics I posted. I'll repost just for ease so one doesn't have to scroll back and forth.

Look at the distance from the end of the drops (the butt of the bar) to the head tube. What a difference in reach!

Before

After

and a comparison to my touring bike

and my fixed gear

Old 11-18-20, 09:45 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I use a similar shallow reach, 12 degree flaired bar on my tour bike https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6001-8...ebar-%2831-8mm

Old 11-18-20, 11:30 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I worried about that too (before I bought them), but measured things out and it's been fine. The stem bar-clamp is 40mm wide. The diagram above indicates 80mm of constant diameter bar in the center. I have one small computer attached that uses zip ties 30mm wide..it works fine. I'll probably mount a navigation device on the opposite side of the clamp(or on the stem itself)..it'll fit.

As for the bars themselves..with a drop bar conversion, using a 90's MTB, the top tube length and low-stack headtube is usually a concern. I figured I'd get bars that help out as much as possible..the sweep back and vertical rise both go in the right direction. I like flat-tops too. Folks seem to like the Cowbells..the Ritchey bars are very similar, at a lower price I think(I paid about $40US I think)...though I'd give them a try..they're nice.
Old 11-18-20, 02:50 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I noticed an interesting thing when looking at the pics I posted. I'll repost just for ease so one doesn't have to scroll back and forth.

Look at the distance from the end of the drops (the butt of the bar) to the head tube. What a difference in reach!
I agree, your new setups are very similar to my bike. On your allez, if you rotate teh bars even just a bit, the tops will be fine, the drops will be more parallel to ground, and Im sure the ends of the drops will come back at least an inch.
As you say, this is where small little adjustments come in, to what feels right. And dont forget repositioning the hoods on the bars if need be, even if a bit annoying cuz you have to retape again.
Old 11-18-20, 08:24 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Anyone considering the Salsa bars could also have a look at the Soma Condor II (https://www.somafab.com/archives/pro...or-2-handlebar). The original was truly nuts, in a good way, and the second version is only slightly more restrained.
Old 11-22-20, 07:26 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
In that case, I can't see the point of a folding bike. I'd choose a mini-velo then (I already have such a thing that can separate if really needed, but it takes tools).
I don't think a folding bike would last me very long. They all seem to have exceptionally long steerers putting a lot of stress on the bearings.

My mini-velo is a Dahon Smooth Hound, but if I were to do it again, I'd get something that would take a belt and a Rohloff, discs, and BMX tyres. Something with the same frame shape of either the Cannondale Hooligan or the Velo Orange Neutrino and set up as a bike-backing setup somehow. Neither of those two takes a belt unless you can find someone to weld in a "break" in the stay.

There's a bloke on youtube who travels around the world (as in go somewhere and then use his Brompton). Hang on, see I can find it.

Here it is, the channel is called "Brompton Traveler":

https://www.youtube.com/user/gfilip
You might find the Moulton bicycles interesting.
I rode one for a couple of decades before moving to Australia and finding it couldn't haul enough water and luggage for my needs there but was great for every other country I've lived in.
MOULTON Bicycle Company
There was a company offering custom belt driven rohloff version in London but I'm struggling to remember the name
From memory the TSR versions were most affordable.
Likes For rifraf:
Old 11-23-20, 05:14 AM
muse kidd

Bikes: 1979 Trek 412, 2011 Dawes Ultra Galaxy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
The Ritchey ErgoMax are great bars. I just put them on my Dawes Galaxy and they are super comfortable. The raised section in the center gives a small little "hump" for the palms of your hands - which is surprisingly nice at times. Plus the modest flair adds a good amount of stability in fast decents. It's the subtle aspects that seems to make these bars shine. I highly recommend them!
Old 11-23-20, 05:18 AM
muse kidd

Bikes: 1979 Trek 412, 2011 Dawes Ultra Galaxy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Ritchey ErgoMax

on my drop-bar conversion Trek 970 now touring bike..and toured with them..works for me..I like them. 12 degree flare,5 degree sweep, 10mm rise, flat-tops, less than $50

[/QUOTE]
The Ritchey ErgoMax are great bars. I just put them on my Dawes Galaxy and they are super comfortable. The raised section in the center gives a small little "hump" for the palms of your hands - which is surprisingly nice at times. Plus the modest flair adds a good amount of stability in fast decents. It's the subtle aspects that seems to make these bars shine. I highly recommend them!