Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Randomness: Why pricing is the way it is?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-20, 09:43 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts

Just a quick vent.
Looking at picking up a spare rear wheel [I'll leave those details out for now] & for just a quick factory rear wheel assembly is over 200.00.
if I buy a "set" that contains the very same rear assembly, I can also have a front assembly for just under 375.00.

Makes me just not want to buy anything at all. Probably will be the case.

/rant
Old 11-19-20, 09:45 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Bundle discount

Old 11-19-20, 09:56 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Rear typically costs more than the front due to different components.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 11-19-20, 10:14 AM
5teve

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Front hubs are simpler and cheaper. Front wheels are less expensive than back wheels. This isn't complicated or wrong.
Likes For 5teve:
Old 11-19-20, 10:21 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Rear wheel will always cost more. A freehub costs more than a front hub. A rear wheel will have different spoke lengths (DS/NDS) and possibly different lacing on each side, depending on the application.

I would expect more of a price difference, except in the case of disc brakes on the front. With disc brakes, lacing patterns are usually different.

Rim brake front wheels are pretty simple.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 11-19-20, 10:35 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Just a quick vent.
Looking at picking up a spare rear wheel [I'll leave those details out for now] & for just a quick factory rear wheel assembly is over 200.00.
if I buy a "set" that contains the very same rear assembly, I can also have a front assembly for just under 375.00.

/rant
Are you complaining that a rear wheel costs more than a front? Or are you complaining that a set costs less than the individual parts purchased separately?
Old 11-19-20, 10:42 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 201 Posts
Just a quick vent.

/rant
I heard on the Path Less Pedaled youtube channel that you can get a set of carbon wheels for about $400, from a company called Hunt. You may like that upgrade.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 11-19-20, 10:42 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Rear wheels typically have a freehub and more spokes and nipples
Old 11-19-20, 11:16 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
As others have pointed out, there is nothing 'random' about this. Rear hubs ALWAYS cost more than front hubs, and hence rear wheels ALWAYS cost more than front wheels.

Notice anything different about these two things?

Last edited by Koyote; 11-19-20 at 11:30 AM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-19-20, 11:24 AM
hsuBM
jj

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Strangeness abounds here.

Why does the thread have “thread” in the title?

In a world, the whole world, where we frequently see more complicated things costing x+(x•~0.25) than simpler things costing x AND we frequently see things which are logically bundled together costing less than when unbundled- what is “random” about this?

You must not have ever been to a Grocery Store. Brace yourself: two half gallons of milk will cost at least $0.50 more than a gallon. The same with two half dozens of eggs against a whole dozen.

Welcome to adulthood.

[edit] just saw your sn & avi. Ya got me!
Old 11-19-20, 02:30 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Just a quick vent.

/rant
I always wondered who was the last person left on the entire planet that didn’t understand the concept of a ‘bundle’ discount.
Nice to meet you
Old 11-19-20, 02:49 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
I always wondered who was the last person left on the entire planet that didn’t understand the concept of a ‘bundle’ discount.
Nice to meet you
Except that it's not really a bundle discount.
Old 11-19-20, 04:20 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Except that it's not really a bundle discount.
It's like the "five dollars each or two for $9.99" kind of discount.
Old 11-19-20, 04:33 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Incorrect. See post #9.
Old 11-19-20, 06:11 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Or are you complaining that a set costs less than the individual parts purchased separately?
comparing the pricing to other brands, the other known brands set the difference a la carte' vs "bundle" price gap rather farther apart.
When the bulk price is used in perishables, it still make sense to buy what I will use vs what I could save per price break margin. If I bought 1 US Gal of milk but can only consume 45% of the US Gal typically , there is no savings to be had. Just a bunch of waste, to which the loss could be applied towards the bundle of wheels, potentially.

FWIW the wheels are 6 bolt disc with cassette ready hub.
Old 11-19-20, 06:12 PM
Troul 

act now & get THREE for 14.99!
Old 11-19-20, 07:34 PM
Koyote

comparing the pricing to other brands, the other known brands set the difference a la carte' vs "bundle" price gap rather farther apart.
When the bulk price is used in perishables, it still make sense to buy what I will use vs what I could save per price break margin. If I bought 1 US Gal of milk but can only consume 45% of the US Gal typically , there is no savings to be had. Just a bunch of waste, to which the loss could be applied towards the bundle of wheels, potentially.

You are refusing to understand what is going on here, and so you just keep pissing in the wind.
Old 11-19-20, 07:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

I read this a couple times and am not sure what your point is as i dont see how your response is an answer to my questions.
Old 11-19-20, 07:43 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The worst bad actor in pricing, not just in bikes, is the "minimum advertised price" which is a form of monopoly price fixing. It's illegal in Europe and that's why we used to be able to get around it (Chain Reaction, Bike24, etc) but that avenue was shut down a couple years ago. We can still see the prices they pay. Can still get around it via China, but takes more careful shopping, and you're obviously not going to get the very latest from any American bike company that way.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 11-19-20, 07:53 PM
Troul 

I read this a couple times and am not sure what your point is as i dont see how your response is an answer to my questions.
The price of the brand name tends to be bout 350 for a rear only assembly & 200ish for the front or if bought in "sets," 400 seems to be the fare. That makes the gears for bargain thinking turn to justify the purchase.

The knock-off brands just throws everything out of whack. They seem to be trying for reputation value yet underdog the overall market with their pricing. If I could eat the wheel, it'd be worth the price as it wouldn't go to waste. All the fiber though, geesh. Ever have tacobell in conjunction with white castle all doused in diablo sauce? That's a man made fiber diet.
Old 11-19-20, 07:56 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
The worst bad actor in pricing, not just in bikes, is the "minimum advertised price" which is a form of monopoly price fixing. It's illegal in Europe and that's why we used to be able to get around it (Chain Reaction, Bike24, etc) but that avenue was shut down a couple years ago. We can still see the prices they pay. Can still get around it via China, but takes more careful shopping, and you're obviously not going to get the very latest from any American bike company that way.
Pretty much the thought I was going after. I would be an expensive leisure activity if it were not for it though.
Old 11-19-20, 08:22 PM
Koyote

“Minimum advertised pricing“ does reduce competition a bit, mainly by raising consumers’ transactions (i.e., search) costs, but it is most definitely not a form of price fixing, in and of itself. Price fixing occurs horizontally - competing firms collude to set higher prices. Minimum advertised pricing is entirely vertical - the manufacturer sets the minimum price that its retailers can advertise. Also note that it only applies to advertised prices – – retailers can charge lower prices... they just can’t advertise them.

Last edited by Koyote; 11-19-20 at 08:33 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-20-20, 06:44 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Pay double for one and receive another for FREE!
Old 11-20-20, 08:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

In cycling, MAP isnt price fixing and it definitely isnt any part of what makes a monopoly. There are no monopolies that I can think of in cycling...maybe Velo saddles could be the closest thing, and that company isnt close to a monopoly.
I liked buying cheap bike parts 4 years ago too, so yeah I was bummed when Euro channels stopped selling Shimano to the US(except Merlin for some reason).

MAP helps maintain a product's standing in the marketplace, which is value to the company/brand. Many brands sell based on image and keeping their pricing at a position that is in line with their image is critical to the success of that brand/company. A brand absolutely should have a say as to how their products are sold at the retail level because perception affects brand value. If their products are constantly discounted at the retail level, then the brand's value suffers.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-20-20, 09:03 AM
Koyote

In cycling, MAP isnt price fixing and it definitely isnt any part of what makes a monopoly. There are no monopolies that I can think of in cycling...maybe Velo saddles could be the closest thing, and that company isnt close to a monopoly.
I liked buying cheap bike parts 4 years ago too, so yeah I was bummed when Euro channels stopped selling Shimano to the US(except Merlin for some reason).

MAP helps maintain a product's standing in the marketplace, which is value to the company/brand. Many brands sell based on image and keeping their pricing at a position that is in line with their image is critical to the success of that brand/company. A brand absolutely should have a say as to how their products are sold at the retail level because perception affects brand value. If their products are constantly discounted at the retail level, then the brand's value suffers.
Good luck getting anyone to understand this. Hell, plenty of posters in this thread can't seem to understand why a wheelset is NOT priced at 2x the cost of a rear wheel, even though the answer is obvious to anyone who's even glanced at bike wheels.
Likes For Koyote:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.