Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

What is the gearing on your bike?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

What is the gearing on your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-14, 09:06 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
Not really, the point of gearing is to stay at optimal cadence, but not necessarily no matter how fast you are going. My optimal cadence doing downhill is zero - it's called tuck and coast. VERY few people can push a 50-11 on level ground for any length of time unless they are at an inefficient cadence and thus not going very fast. By going to a higher top gear than is practical one gives up finer adjustments in the range one rides the most, therefore defeating the "whole point of gears."
+1

Even if a cyclist likes to pedal when travelling downhill at speeds above 30 mph, the percentage of time a recreational cyclist is maintaining that speed is probably less than 1%. The amount of time a recreational cyclist spends in the 3 to 30mph range is more than 99%, and gearing needs to cover that range with a 40 to 100rpm cadence.

This data shows cycling speeds up to 47.6mph. But the amount of time traveling at speeds greater than 30mph is not significant.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/356683768
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 10-12-14 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-12-14, 12:16 PM
LGHT

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barrettscv

A large drop or increase in speed of 5 mph or more provides the ideal opportunity for shifting a 50 & 34 compact double. On hilly routes, the large change in cadence when down shifting a compact double is sometimes welcome, especially when beginning a climb after a fast descent.
I'm really getting used to my 53 / 34 as of late. Doing a lot more riding and yesterday I finally got over the "hill of death" route I have been trying to ride for a month now. What really helped was cranking hard on the rolling hills on the down slope and shifting down to get up them quickly on the other side. This was a little standing peddling and the hills now take a lot less time and effort. Some of the steep hills I still crawl at 5mph, but I am getting stronger and noticed a slight increase to 6 / 6.5 for a couple of hills so I'm sticking with the gear set.
Old 10-12-14, 12:27 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by LGHT
I'm really getting used to my 53 / 34 as of late. Doing a lot more riding and yesterday I finally got over the "hill of death" route I have been trying to ride for a month now. What really helped was cranking hard on the rolling hills on the down slope and shifting down to get up them quickly on the other side. This was a little standing peddling and the hills now take a lot less time and effort. Some of the steep hills I still crawl at 5mph, but I am getting stronger and noticed a slight increase to 6 / 6.5 for a couple of hills so I'm sticking with the gear set.
Constantly rolling terrain is a great application for a compact double. When speeds are constantly changing in the 10 to 33 mph range, a compact double and an 11-28 cassette is ideal. The bigger changes in cadence are welcome and tight gearing loses it's advantage when cresting a hill or beginning a climb.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-12-14, 12:29 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Nexus 8spd (SG-8R31) IGH:

Gear Ratio, total difference: 3.07
Gear Ratio 1: 0.527
Gear Ratio 2: 0.644
Gear Ratio 3: 0.748
Gear Ratio 4: 0.851
Gear Ratio 5: 1.0
Gear Ratio 6: 1.223
Gear Ratio 7: 1.419
Gear Ratio 8: 1.615

20T ring out back, on the hub.
42T chainring up front, single.

I find that it's a nice range for moderate to easier hills, sufficiently low-geared to deal with the hills (with my strength) yet sufficiently quick for the flats. Might prefer the Alfine 11spd or the Rohloff 14spd gearing, but the Nexus-8 is fine.
Old 10-13-14, 08:11 AM
scarleton

Bikes: Lynsky R240 w/ Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Nexus 8spd (SG-8R31) IGH:

I find that it's a nice range for moderate to easier hills, sufficiently low-geared to deal with the hills (with my strength) yet sufficiently quick for the flats. Might prefer the Alfine 11spd or the Rohloff 14spd gearing, but the Nexus-8 is fine.
so what type of grade hills do you deal with? Ever as much as 10 to 15? I ask because I am looking to build my wife a bike with either the Alpine 11 or Rohloff 14. I like the Rohloff, but it is expensive, so if the Alpine will work, that would be great.

also, do you use a chain or belt? What are the pro's and con's?
Old 10-13-14, 09:03 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Constantly rolling terrain is a great application for a compact double. When speeds are constantly changing in the 10 to 33 mph range, a compact double and an 11-28 cassette is ideal. The bigger changes in cadence are welcome and tight gearing loses it's advantage when cresting a hill or beginning a climb.
Yep, that's almost any ride in Austin except east of town.

Climb a half mile or so at 12mph, descend at 40 mph, wash, rinse repeat.

50 tooth chainring on all the downs. 36 tooth chainring on all the ups.
Old 10-13-14, 09:15 AM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For folks that are interested, I wrote up my impressions of SRAM's Force 22 drivetrain, which you can read here. Currently testing the Rival 22 group, but won't have that review completely for a month or two.
Old 10-13-14, 09:19 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
Not really, the point of gearing is to stay at optimal cadence, but not necessarily no matter how fast you are going. My optimal cadence doing downhill is zero - it's called tuck and coast. VERY few people can push a 50-11 on level ground for any length of time unless they are at an inefficient cadence and thus not going very fast. By going to a higher top gear than is practical one gives up finer adjustments in the range one rides the most, therefore defeating the "whole point of gears."
I have no idea what you mean about only being able to pedal at an inefficient cadence.

My Saturday ride was a perfect example of why big gears are needed. We road from 734 at 1431 to Andice into a headwind.

It took a little longer than expected so on the return, I told my friends I had to get home to go to my daughter's band competition. So from 2338 back to 1431 I rode at 25 - 38 except for a couple of big climbs dropping down to the low teens. I was using 11, 12, and 13 for most of that return trip. That's 15 miles of going fast where you are suggesting I should have just coasted. I'm certainly no pro racer, just an average cyclist but I can assure you my cadence was 90 +/- 10 and not inefficient.

Riding out and back into strong headwinds is a very normal condition on lots of rides and with a little effort mid 30 speeds are very achievable. I guess some people just automatically stop pedaling when they see something greater than 20 on the speedometer.
Old 10-13-14, 09:24 AM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by andr0id
I have no idea what you mean about only being able to pedal at an inefficient cadence.

My Saturday ride was a perfect example of why big gears are needed. We road from 734 at 1431 to Andice into a headwind.

It took a little longer than expected so on the return, I told my friends I had to get home to go to my daughter's band competition. So from 2338 back to 1431 I rode at 25 - 38 except for a couple of big climbs dropping down to the low teens. I was using 11, 12, and 13 for most of that return trip. That's 15 miles of going fast where you are suggesting I should have just coasted. I'm certainly no pro racer, just an average cyclist but I can assure you my cadence was 90 +/- 10 and not inefficient.

Riding out and back into strong headwinds is a very normal condition on lots of rides and with a little effort mid 30 speeds are very achievable. I guess some people just automatically stop pedaling when they see something greater than 20 on the speedometer.
Depends. If I'm going to ride 300-400km in a day (as you would in a fleche etc) then no I don't pedal downhill. Simply put I need that energy later. If I'm commuting and just want to get home? Sure I'll push the big/small ring combo as fast as my legs will allow me and get home. Makes it a little safer on 6 lane roads as you are closer to the speed of the traffic.
Old 01-07-15, 09:12 PM
lopek77
Banned

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tripple front 28/38/48 and 7 speed rear 12-34
Perfect combination for me. Great for going up or down hills....easy up, or speedy down lol
Old 01-07-15, 09:32 PM
lopek77
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by krobinson103
Depends. If I'm going to ride 300-400km in a day (as you would in a fleche etc) then no I don't pedal downhill. Simply put I need that energy later. If I'm commuting and just want to get home? Sure I'll push the big/small ring combo as fast as my legs will allow me and get home. Makes it a little safer on 6 lane roads as you are closer to the speed of the traffic.
300-400 km in a day on "Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb" ? If that's true - I'm amazed and happy for you, but sadly I will call it BS. You should try Tour De France...there is no way you can't win that... You are much faster on your old 21 speed bike, than any road biker I have ever seen... Oh wait... Maybe mtb means "Motor Turbo Bicycle" in Korea?
Calculator is your friend when it comes to creating some BS stories that some may actually believe in it. I can't wait for another amazing story from you buddy.

Last edited by lopek77; 01-09-15 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-07-15, 09:56 PM
TerraCottaGamer

Bikes: 2014 Trek Marlin 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lopek77
300-400 miles in a day on "Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb" ? If that's true - I'm amazed and happy for you, but sadly I will call it BS. You should try Tour De France...there is no way you can't win that... You are much faster on your old 21 speed bike, than any road biker I have ever seen... Oh wait... Maybe mtb means "Motor Turbo Bicycle" in Korea?
Calculator is your friend when it comes to creating some BS stories that some may actually believe in it. I can't wait for another amazing story from you buddy.

I with you on this one. Total BS. To do 400km in a day one would have to average 30km an hour for 13 hours. I think even the pros would have a struggle with that.
Old 01-09-15, 08:40 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Depends. If I'm going to ride 300-400km in a day
Originally Posted by lopek77
300-400 miles in a day on "Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb" ? If that's true - I'm amazed and happy for you, but sadly I will call it BS.
Originally Posted by TerraCottaGamer
I with you on this one. Total BS. To do 400km in a day one would have to average 30km an hour for 13 hours. I think even the pros would have a struggle with that.
He said 300-400 km in one day, not miles.

300 km is less than 200 miles, and there are plenty of non-professional people who ride 200 miles in one day. A 200 mile ride is called a 'double century'. I was having beer and wings last night with a chap who does an annual early season (in my opinion) double century ride in Southern Ontario...

https://www.tbn.ca/hairshirt

In my experience, it doesn't take a super-human amount of fitness or strength to ride super long distances - if you know how to pace yourself, the primary hurdle is saddle pain.
Old 01-09-15, 08:53 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
My Gearing

I have two bikes - a road/touring and a mountain bike.

My road/touring bike has an mtb crank with 44-32-22 rings and a 12-25 cassette. Very low gearing, I know, but I run wide tires and often take dirt and gravel routes on my 'road' rides.

My mtb is full rigid and I do real mtb rides on it - IMO, you can ride a rigid bike anywhere you can ride a full suspension bike, but you can't ride as fast. Accordingly, the gearing is a Shimano Alfine 8 speed hub with a 32/22 combo. Shimano recommends a 1.9:1 input ratio for the Alfine, but my gearing is a 1.4:1 IIRC, which according to x-perts on the interwebs should have my bike spitting out broken sun gears and pawls with every pedal stroke. I weigh between 240 and 260 lbs and use 180mm cranks.
Old 01-09-15, 09:18 AM
TerraCottaGamer

Bikes: 2014 Trek Marlin 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier

300 km is less than 200 miles, and there are plenty of non-professional people who ride 200 miles in one day. A 200 mile ride is called a 'double century'. I was having beer and wings last night with a chap who does an annual early season (in my opinion) double century ride in Southern Ontario...

In my experience, it doesn't take a super-human amount of fitness or strength to ride super long distances - if you know how to pace yourself, the primary hurdle is saddle pain.
I know guys do doubles but it is not common and this guy kind of threw it out there like it was a common thing for him to go ride 400km. I stand corrected on my timing of it as that website is listing 10 hours for 322km. So I was about 2km per hour off. Still - I was referring to 400km which means an additional 2-2.5 hours. Doable, most definitely. Casually throwing it out there as this guy did - not doable. Which was my point.
Old 01-09-15, 09:27 AM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Nah, he or she is talking about a fleche -- where when we say day, we mean ALL DAY -- all 24 hours. 15 kph minimums. Krobinson103 hangs out lots in the long distance forum. Most of us ride roadbikes and not hybrids like his or hers, but I've seen all sorts of bikes on rando events. There were two fixed-gear road bikes and one singlespeed rigid MTB/touring contraption on our 400k last year, all of whom finished before I did. I rode my road bike, with its usual gearing (to get back to the point of the thread): 50/34 and 10-speed 11-36, Shimano road-mountain hybridized drivetrain. Well, except that one of the bar-end shifters started to fail at about mile 200 out of 260, and I had to finish with my gearing options being the 50/34 + 15/17/19 in the back being my only options (and every shift on the back took coaxing and horribly noises and risking more mechanical issues, so I mostly left it in the 17 and shifted only the front).

Personally, I really like the double + wide range setup -- I do occasionally get chainsuck if I shift into a small-small combination (which I sometimes do coming up to a stop sign on flat or downhill ground when going fast). The 34/36 combination will let me climb almost anything when fresh, and a lot of things after riding for 12+ hours.
Old 01-09-15, 09:28 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I still think that the best drivetrain is a 50-40-30, with an 11-32, or 11-34 cog...... Gears for just about any situation, and you would spend most of your time in the middle of everything..........
Old 01-09-15, 09:40 AM
lopek77
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier

Now way on the bike he said he have... 190-250 miles a day on a crappy mountain bike is plain and simple - IMPOSSIBLE
Old 01-09-15, 09:46 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
On a relatively flat route, 30kph (18.6mph) seems eminently doable. A professional peloton certainly moves at a much faster pace. I've averaged 24.5kph (15.1mph) for 6-8 hours/day on a 51-pound touring bike (example). While I was pretty fit at the time, I'm not an incredible athlete by any means. With a lighter bike or a flatter route, I could certainly go faster and longer.
Old 01-09-15, 09:55 AM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
On a relatively flat route, 30kph (18.6mph) seems eminently doable. A professional peloton certainly moves at a much faster pace. I've averaged 24.5kph (15.1mph) for 6-8 hours/day on a 51-pound touring bike (example). While I was pretty fit at the time, I'm not an incredible athlete by any means. With a lighter bike or a flatter route, I could certainly go faster and longer.
Again -- krobinson103 was talking about a fleche, which means 24 hours to go 360km, thus it's 15kph (9.3mph). Even more eminently doable.

Last edited by antimonysarah; 01-09-15 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-09-15, 10:50 AM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Mid compact on the front (52/36) and whatever I need on the back. Usually it's an 11-25 for around here. It takes a whole 10 minutes to swap a cassette and make any needed changes to the B screw. Need to do a lot of climbing I'll chuck on the 28T cassette.

EDIT: And yes, I will pedal down hills

Last edited by IBOHUNT; 01-09-15 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-09-15, 11:33 AM
newbie101
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fantastic thread. One of my favorites, along with the pedaling efficiency thread.

I just bought a bike with a standard compact double setup: 50/34, 12 - 30.

If I convert to a triple, will I need anything else besides the following?

-triple crank 50/39/30

-left STI triple shifter

-new front derailleur

Will I need to change the chain? It's a KMC10.

Do I need to change the front derailleur? I'm guessing yes.
Old 01-09-15, 12:42 PM
krobinson103

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by antimonysarah
Again -- krobison103 was talking about a fleche, which means 24 hours to go 360km, thus it's 15kph (9.3mph). Even more eminently doable.
Now way on the bike he said he have... 190-250 miles a day on a crappy mountain bike is plain and simple - IMPOSSIBLE
Totally doable. I did it. On an mtb with slicks. Then I rode a further 30km to get home. Call it BS if you want. I know what I did, got the cert from france and did it in 24 hours. Saddle pain and upset stomach are the only things that slowed me. You don't need a really expesnsive bike for distance. You just need the right gearing, some training, and heart. I also carried most of the spares for the team and a small battery scooter battery on the rack.

Want proof? here

I'm second in line there and enjoying it thoroughly.

Theres the cert. It is possible on just about ANY bike. Only takes willpower, fitness, and plain stubbornness. In fact, we did the last 60km of the ride uphill in less than 3 three hours after riding all day and night as one of our team members bonked so we had to pick up the pace for the last. That REALLY hurt but we did it. I'd reconsider what you call impossible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fleche.jpg (98.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg
20150110_074830.jpg (89.2 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by krobinson103; 01-09-15 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-09-15, 12:55 PM
scarleton

Bikes: Lynsky R240 w/ Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On an mtb with slicks.
Which slicks? I am looking for a good set of FAST tires for my 26" bike (originally it was a mtb, but I have drops on it and only ride on the road with it, so it really isn't a mtb anymore). The best I have found is the Compass, they look great and come with a great (big) price tag of $57. I two sets, both me and my wife. I would love to find a less expensive option, if it exists. My requirements:
  1. 26"
  2. fast tires
  3. not super expensive

I know that $57 is not super expensive, but... if there are equally good for less

P.S. I could see you riding for 24 hours to go 360km, personally. I am guessing you are not 5'2" and only 100lb, might be hard for such a small light person, lacking the muscle mass as someone like me that is 6'4"/288lb.
Old 01-09-15, 01:13 PM
krobinson103

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scarleton
Which slicks? I am looking for a good set of FAST tires for my 26" bike (originally it was a mtb, but I have drops on it and only ride on the road with it, so it really isn't a mtb anymore). The best I have found is the Compass, they look great and come with a great (big) price tag of $57. I two sets, both me and my wife. I would love to find a less expensive option, if it exists. My requirements:
  1. 26"
  2. fast tires
  3. not super expensive

I know that $57 is not super expensive, but... if there are equally good for less

P.S. I could see you riding for 24 hours to go 360km, personally. I am guessing you are not 5'2" and only 100lb, might be hard for such a small light person, lacking the muscle mass as someone like me that is 6'4"/288lb.
Nope, 6' 2" and closer to 200 pounds. Also ride almost every day. I just used some continental comfort contacts on that ride. Can't remember exactly as I had to sell that bike to come back to New Zealand. Riding a Soma at the moment in touring mode. Even more fun when you carry all your gear up 500m hills for a week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.