Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Indoor Trainer or More Layers?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-14, 01:40 PM
bryanfellenbaum

Bikes: Mongoose Detain Fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello cyclists.
I live in Central Pennsylvania, and while it isn't the coldest place in the world, it's cold enough to me. And this fall has already been very cold, meaning the winter could be doubly so. I want to keep riding, but the harsh cold is really daunting for me.

I'm looking for an affordable trainer to use this winter in order to keep in shape. I've been looking at this one, the Conquer Indoor Trainer (https://www.amazon.com/Conquer-Traine...rainer+cycling), but I've heard mixed views on cheap trainers. Also, this one requires a quick release axel, and as you know, fixies need a bolt on axel. Does anyone know of an alternate trainer for fixed gear bikes which is also in the same general price range?

Also, if I were to train outside this winter, what gear would you recommend? (Keep in mind that I'm a starving artist in college) I already own a pair of running tights, which aren't too heavy so I would probably want something more. I also have a pair of cycling shorts to wear under tights, a pair of decently warm gloves, a cycling cap, and, of course, a helmet. I would assume a wind breaker would be good for an outer layer, with a long sleeve shirt or thermal underneath. I would love suggestions from all of you, since many of you know much more than I do!
Old 11-24-14, 02:17 PM
bruin11

Bikes: Lynskey Helix, Serotta Fierta IT, Torelli, Raleigh Carbon Revenio 3.0

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the clothing go look in the winter forum. Plenty of questions already answered in regards to clothing choices.

Winter Cycling
Old 11-24-14, 03:06 PM
thisisbenji

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Specialized Crux, Specialized Carve

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I usually ride my track bike on rollers rather than a trainer.

Although my my track bike does work perfectly well on my cycle ops fluid 2 trainer that is designed for quick release.

That being said if it's above 10 degrees and dry I'm outside riding.
Old 11-24-14, 04:24 PM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
More layers. As long as there is no ice on the roads I'm out there. Does make it somewhat cold going downhill at midnight though. Once you get rolling and are dressed for the temperature you'll love it.
Old 11-24-14, 05:54 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I have a Nashbar fluid trainer, which I like. It was relatively inexpensive and I've had it for years.

I also have lots of layers ... see the Winter Cycling forum as mentioned above for more info on that.

When I lived in Canada, I commuted to and from work by bicycle most of the year ... unless the roads were too icy.
I rode inside after work during the week ... dark and cold has no appeal for me.
And I rode as much as I could outside on the weekends.

If you're a student, you should be able to get a 6-month gym membership quite inexpensively. I did that when I was in uni and if I had a couple hours between classes I'd go over there to ride the stat bikes or spin bikes, to walk/jog on the treadmill, to use the rowing machine, and occasionally to attend the spinning classes.
Old 11-24-14, 08:25 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Spend your money on good clothing instead of indoor trainer, it's a lot more fun to ride outside.
Old 11-24-14, 10:04 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you just want to keep doing a little riding over the winter, there will be many days when the roads are clear and you can ride with enough clothing on. If you aren't going far, the set of usable clothing is very large and findable at thrift stores. OTOH if you are training, the key to training is consistency and for that you need a trainer more than you need the fancy clothes etc. that would enable consistent outdoor training in PA.
Old 11-28-14, 06:11 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in SW PA -- so conditions may be similar (although we are below the snow belt that extends half way down the state from Erie.)

My main criteria for winter is to keep the wind off and the sweat controlled -- so a good top layer (like a Gore-Tex shell or good cycling rain jacket) serves well. Under that, I wear a few insulating layers -- one of which is usually a turtleneck to keep the wind off of my neck. But, next to my skin I wear a moisture wicking layer to get the sweat away from my body. Gloves are similar to the top layer: blocking the wind is more important than insulation. My legs don't seem to be as important as my torso for warmth: for my legs I just wear a set of poly cycling pants and, if its below freezing some long underwear. I also wear a shell under my helmet that helps a lot.

For the bike: I change from a smooth tread tire to a winter tread. I don't seek out snow or ice, but I've learned that it is not unusual to find yourself on it or in it... I've also found that the bike is surprisingly stable on both snow and ice -- but I still try to avoid it (but not so hard that I stay inside...) I also use a larger trunk on the back of my cycle so I can hold extra layers -- either ones I carry with me in case conditions deteriorate or ones I take off if conditions improve.

Happy cycling...