Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fender Sizing (Nishiki Road Bike)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-16, 11:19 AM
Blurry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am trying really hard to sort this out on my own. I contacted Velo Orange with a fender/tire size question and they immediately responded (which was awesome) suggesting 45mm wide fenders for my bike.

“…We use 45mm fenders with 28mm wide tires. They will provide enough clearance and not look too bulky.”

I wrote back to verify brake clearance as I didn’t offer any other measurements and have not yet heard a response (how anti climatic ).

According to:

The Velo ORANGE Blog: Choosing Fenders

1 - The basic rule in fender fitting is that the fender should be at least 8mm wider than the tire; 10-12 mm is better

2 - Short reach caliper brakes typically can accommodate 35-37mm fenders. Long reach brakes can usually fit 43-45mm fenders.

I have 700 x 28c tires.

Here is a link to pictures of the bike that is hopefully getting new metal fenders.

https://imgur.com/a/HOVVx

(sorry so many pics are irrelevant to the topic)

I am wondering if 37mm fenders will work even though it is against what the experts suggested by email? I like the idea of 45mm if possible but don't see this working.

I am really hoping to go with this style but perhaps will have to consider something else? I don’t want any fenders that are split in the middle, or have to be forced in and bent etc… as I don’t like the aesthetics or the knowledge of that workmanship.

Can anyone help? This is a “cheap” bike and I am hoping to keep costs balanced between that, appearance and usability. I have a few other minor changes but this is by far the greatest expense.

Hopefully the install goes smoother than the pre-purchase confusion.. Somehow I doubt this.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike2.jpg (88.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 05-31-16, 11:36 AM
Blurry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velo Orange got back in response to me having 50mm brake space

"If you have 50mm then it should be fine. It's hard for us to be certain without seeing the bike and measuring everything, but 45mm fenders fit most road bikes, other than racing bikes with very narrow tires and tight clearances."
Old 05-31-16, 11:58 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 725 Posts
If the clearance is really tight under the brakes, you could Dremel a narrow slot in the top of the fender to clear them. If you take only the minimum amount required and leave the corners of the hole raduised you will not unduly affect the strength of the fenders. There is often some metal/plastic work involved to fitting fenders, here is a video from Rivendell Bikes showing how they do the job: https://youtu.be/lG_WZVS9SUY
Old 05-31-16, 01:39 PM
Blurry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info and the link, that is helpful and definitely looks within my skill level.

Now I just need to settle on a size. I am so torn. Thanks!
Old 05-31-16, 02:59 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 725 Posts
Too narrow fenders makes it kind of pointless if water is spraying out the sides. If you are just a couple of millimeters shy of clearance at the stays don't be shy about cutting notches to clear the width; just measure twice and cut once.
Old 05-31-16, 08:24 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Quoted: 26481 Post(s)
Liked 10,448 Times in 7,248 Posts
...37-38 mm fenders work fine with 28mm tyres in my personal experience, so if clearance at the fork/brakes/stays is a concern in your mind, and you don't want to deal with either crimping them where they are too fat or trimming them as suggested above, just buy the narrower ones.

That said, I installed maybe a dozen sets of fenders last fall in anticipation of El Nino here, and there were only a couple of bikes in my garage that would not accept a 45 mm wide fender both front and rear. But I ride older stuff, mostly from the 70's and 80's.

If you are buying the Velo Orange aluminum ones, they are easily bent and customized (which makes them slightly less durable in the long run). If you are going with stainless steel, try to minimize the amount of customizing you will need to do. The VO installation hardware is very nice.
Old 05-31-16, 08:29 PM
3alarmer

...looking at your photo, I'd be very surprised if a 45 mm fender would not fit in there. You need to make sure there are no surprises in the back, as well, that might narrow the clearance available for that fender. One bike I would have liked to fender had a front derailleur that made it impossible without changing out the derailleur.
Old 06-01-16, 09:23 AM
Blurry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again dsbrantjr

I completely agree, I guess I just have to accept the fact that it is a custom job which makes it kinda cool actually.

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...looking at your photo, I'd be very surprised if a 45 mm fender would not fit in there. You need to make sure there are no surprises in the back, as well, that might narrow the clearance available for that fender. One bike I would have liked to fender had a front derailleur that made it impossible without changing out the derailleur.
My bike is from the 80's too and I really like it. I measured more and even cut a plastic container to mimic the 45mm fender and checked the clearance in the problem areas along with using some calipers. 45mm fits in 98% of the areas. The thickness (not width) of the fender is what I am most concerned about (not sure if the the 37mm and 45mm are much different here?).

I know I am likely obsessing (I have to as I am on a limited budget for this type of thing and they have to be shipped etc. so I want to get it right the first time to avoid returns or scrap metal). I wish that there was a diagram etc. provided by fender manufacturers to see some of the other dimensions but that is probably not even desired by most for a bent tube essentially. Now that I think about it and hear from you guys I really am not too worried about tweaking all of this. I do some woodworking and have some basic experience with machine set up etc as a hobby.

Sorry my bike terminology is not the best. The rear frame angle (chainstay?) is the tightest part. I worry a 45mm fender will sit too far towards (where are 37mm would tuck in more) the rear tire in that small area leaving only a few mm gap between rubber and metal (this is where some bending etc may be needed as you stated to push it the other direction). Also, I know the brake pads will interfere, but it looks like this will require a simple notch/some dremel work/bending etc. Perhaps even lower profile pads will avoid this tweak all together as my current pads are a little bulky. .

I have contemplated some other fenders by SKS or planet bike as they are a little less money and may be a good way to familiarize myself with this. I just don't quite like the look as much and am not sure if I will ever install the fenders I want if I go that route.

Thanks so much

eta: some people have mentioned that 45mm fenders look a tad ugly on 28 tires. I am currently neutral due to my ignorance with this.

Last edited by Blurry; 06-01-16 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-01-16, 09:50 AM
3alarmer

...your concerns about wheel and tire fender clearance at the chainstay bridge is well founded. That is the one area where you usually end up doing some custom fitting. I often attach the fender end at that point in such a way that it rides on top of the bridge (using a modified P clamp that wraps around that bridge) rather than a through bolt with the fender end lower and between the stays. The clearance between wheel/tyre and fender is not much affected by your overall fender width.

I do this to allow sufficient clearance to remove and insert the wheel and tyre without the need to either deflate the tyre or move the fender every time. It changes the fender line at that point so that it does not follow the wheel as closely, but I'm willing to live with that for the convenience in wheel removal.

The SKS plastic/aluminum sandwich material that they use in their current fenders is a very durable product. I'm a fan of their full fender sets, and they have worked well. I know nothing about Planet Bike fenders.
Old 06-03-16, 10:37 AM
Blurry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for that info. I was busy with work and didn't see this response right away. That all makes a lot of sense and is helpful.

I ordered a 42mm aluminum set of planet bike fenders as I just couldn't quite commit to the 45mm ones. Also, they were about $25 less and I like the looks too... Apparently 3mm is the magic number for giving me peace of mind in the most meaningless way possible. hahah

I will report back with my progress in case anyone is interested after they arrive.

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-03-16, 12:54 PM
3alarmer

Originally Posted by Blurry
Thanks for that info. I was busy with work and didn't see this response right away. That all makes a lot of sense and is helpful.

I ordered a 42mm aluminum set of planet bike fenders as I just couldn't quite commit to the 45mm ones. Also, they were about $25 less and I like the looks too... Apparently 3mm is the magic number for giving me peace of mind in the most meaningless way possible. hahah

I will report back with my progress in case anyone is interested after they arrive.

Thanks everyone!
...I don't have any experience with Planet Bike, as stated, but the daruma fender mounting bolt idea used by many (including Velo Orange) is a superior method for mounting your front fender instead of a simple angled bracket mount (which also works, and I have used).

If you have access to a bike coop or other supply of miscellaneous used hardware, you can make one from some of the pivot bolts that hold on older style caliper brake levers and a large fender washer, otherwise, I think you can buy them separately from VO or another source. But the angle things work OK, you just end up fiddling with your brake more in the long run.

Old 06-05-16, 02:29 PM
Blurry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
awesome! I am still waiting on them to arrive and will certainly keep that piece in mind.