Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

fender to fit on my bike. that doesn't look like crap

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-16, 09:43 PM
EthanSpokesEtc

Bikes: DK team V3 frame built with profile odyssey and Shadow parts, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1986 Trek Elance 400D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

SO, im not trying to break my wallet here(which is already pretty broken) but Im trying to figure out what width fenders will work on my schwinn.

the tires are 27" x 1-1/4th. (normal)
the rims are 27" wheels....
the frame and fork look like they'll have enough space to mount them. 1cm between the fork and top of tire, in the front, and what looks like 1cm at the back between the rear tire and the brake bridge...

my issue is with the brakes. their DIA compe 500s, which when squeezed tight against the rim, give me about...
spot on 1cm all around in the front, and in the back.... i have ...
ok so on closer inspection it looks like i have about 1cm of clearance all around the tire. im looking at these-
Fenders Cascadia Road
which i measured in person(pretty sure they are the same ones linked) from edge to edge to be about 1-3/4"

sooo total space between brake arms is 51.75mm and the width of the fenders are...44.45mm soooo I should be good right? with... 3.65mm of clearance on both sides between the edges of the fender, and the brake arms.

sorry for the long boring over thought post, I just wanna make sure I figure out the right width to use for this bike, the clearances just look really tight to me, I'd normally just take it into work but my service manage at the main shop i work in isnt a huge fan of vintage bikes, and likes to give me crap whenever i ask him about it
Old 09-28-16, 05:32 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
It sounds like you are good to go. On paper everything looks good but sometimes it is just trial and error to get it to work. Get the fenders and take your time installing them. You will need a couple of hours the first time out. If the fenders don't fit under those brakes, you may need to trim the fender. Worse case scenario is to use a "reach around" fender mount. Good luck.
Old 09-28-16, 08:45 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by EthanSpokesEtc
SO, im not trying to break my wallet here(which is already pretty broken) but Im trying to figure out what width fenders will work on my schwinn.

the tires are 27" x 1-1/4th. (normal)
the rims are 27" wheels....
the frame and fork look like they'll have enough space to mount them. 1cm between the fork and top of tire, in the front, and what looks like 1cm at the back between the rear tire and the brake bridge...

my issue is with the brakes. their DIA compe 500s, which when squeezed tight against the rim, give me about...
spot on 1cm all around in the front, and in the back.... i have ...
ok so on closer inspection it looks like i have about 1cm of clearance all around the tire. im looking at these-
Fenders Cascadia Road
which i measured in person(pretty sure they are the same ones linked) from edge to edge to be about 1-3/4"

sooo total space between brake arms is 51.75mm and the width of the fenders are...44.45mm soooo I should be good right? with... 3.65mm of clearance on both sides between the edges of the fender, and the brake arms.

sorry for the long boring over thought post, I just wanna make sure I figure out the right width to use for this bike, the clearances just look really tight to me, I'd normally just take it into work but my service manage at the main shop i work in isnt a huge fan of vintage bikes, and likes to give me crap whenever i ask him about it
You should use fenders that are nominally 10-20mm larger than your tires (for 5 to 10mm clearance all around). In your case, your tires are 1.25in = 32mm, so 42mm - 52mm wide fenders are where it's at. Make sure they're labeled 700c or 28" wheel size, not 26" and not 29". Trimming fenders to fit tight spots is sometimes necessary -- you might need to nibble a little off inside your brake arms. There are lots and lots of fenders that should work for you. For examples, Nashbar has these right now that I would consider good buys at the quoted price:
$20 Zefal Paragon C50 Universal Fender Set
$25 Zefal Paragon Fenders - 700x45 Black or Silver
$30 SKS B42 Commuter 2 Fender Set
$38 Planet Bike Hardcore Hybrid Bike Fenders
$45 SKS P45 Chromoplastic Longboard Fender Set (one of my personal favorites)

Tree Fort Bikes has a fantastic selection, too, including some nice metal fenders at fair prices: Full Coverage Fenders at Tree Fort Bikes
Old 09-28-16, 09:00 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by OneIsAllYouNeed
You should use fenders that are nominally 10-20mm larger than your tires (for 5 to 10mm clearance all around). In your case, your tires are 1.25in = 32mm, so 42mm - 52mm wide fenders are where it's at. Make sure they're labeled 700c or 28" wheel size, not 26" and not 29". Trimming fenders to fit tight spots is sometimes necessary -- you might need to nibble a little off inside your brake arms. There are lots and lots of fenders that should work for you. For examples, Nashbar has these right now that I would consider good buys at the quoted price:
$20 Zefal Paragon C50 Universal Fender Set
$25 Zefal Paragon Fenders - 700x45 Black or Silver
$30 SKS B42 Commuter 2 Fender Set
$38 Planet Bike Hardcore Hybrid Bike Fenders
$45 SKS P45 Chromoplastic Longboard Fender Set (one of my personal favorites)

Tree Fort Bikes has a fantastic selection, too, including some nice metal fenders at fair prices: Full Coverage Fenders at Tree Fort Bikes
700c, 28" ( Germany?)" and 29ers all have the same rim size. Usually 29er tend to have wider rims and tires.
Old 09-28-16, 09:05 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I love my Portland Design Works fenders but they are a bit pricey.
Old 09-28-16, 09:33 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I put a pair of SKS Bluemel on my touring bike with 27x1-1/4 tires, I think they were around a size 45 width. They don't fit your "don't look like crap" criteria, but they function well enough. They did need trimming, specifically on the brake mount for the front fender, which I had to grind down to get me more clearance between the fender and top of tire (it was limited by hitting the bottom of the headset).