Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bike Security: What About Securing The Pedals???

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Bike Security: What About Securing The Pedals???

Old 02-22-19, 06:32 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I have no issue with a 1.5kg Abus U-lock attached to my bike, but if that is too heavy for you, then you could get a frame lock for the rear wheel that weighs between 650 to 900grams.
I should clarify that I am not really shopping for a lock. The idea for this thread came about because I was considering removing the generic cable lock from my seat post, as I never use it and all it really does is scratch the hell out of my inner thighs.

What I was looking to do was to generate some conversation about simpler ways to secure a bike, specifically by securing the cranks. Perhaps by putting this challenge out there, someone will invent the next billion dollar bicycle accessory.
Old 02-22-19, 06:35 AM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by tcs
A small padlock through the chainwheel around the chain, perhaps?

(I'd probably choose a different lock; this is just one I had on my workbench. Hmm. And perhaps orient the lock inside rather than outside. Hmm.)

Note: the rear wheel can still freewheel and the bike can still roll forwards.
VERY cool. THAT's wot om tawkin about!
Old 02-22-19, 08:11 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The lock appears to be around the chain+chainring. You would get about 1/2 crank revolution before experiencing "chain suck". Of course, with a freewheel/freehub, you could pedal 1/2 revolution, then backpedal 1/2 revolution, and repeat.
Certainly not the bike security method to end all bike security methods! But easy enough to put the bike in low gear and orient the lock so that 1/2 of that 1/2 rotation is the cranks turning through top dead center/bottom dead center.

Horses for courses. Down at the public library in my quiet town you'll find unlocked bikes. A little pocketable padlock like this would make your bike the most secure one in the rack.
Old 02-22-19, 09:52 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
A small padlock through the chainwheel around the chain, perhaps?

(I'd probably choose a different lock; this is just one I had on my workbench. Hmm. And perhaps orient the lock inside rather than outside. Hmm.)

Note: the rear wheel can still freewheel and the bike can still roll forwards.
That looks like it would be effective.

Do you think it would do any damage if you tried to ride on it?

It could hurt the derailleur if you pedaled backwards. But peddling forwards I'm thinking at most it might scratch up the inside of the chrainring, as in the ridge on the opposite side of the teeth, as in no big deal.

If you could combine that with a method to keep it from going backwards into the derailleur you might have something

For fixes and SRAM set ups with a single gear up front this might be a great out of the box solution
Old 02-22-19, 10:39 AM
tcs
Palmer

With a different (larger shackle, but still much smaller/lighter that a typical U-lock) padlock one might lock the chainwheel to the right chainstay. This 'locks the cranks', but the bike could still be rolled away (freewheeled) forwards.

Upper bound: with my Rockymounts Carlito U-lock I can lock the frame/rear wheel/crank, and it only weighs ~360g.
Old 02-22-19, 01:00 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
How is the lock going to damage the derailleur? It’s locked to the chainring and chain. It could still be ridden by pedaling half way around and backpedaling repeatedly. And coasting. Perhaps not the most effective solution.
Old 02-22-19, 01:45 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
That kind of lock is designed so its shackle is hidden from a bolt cutter when it’s through the lock hole on a gate or whatever. As shown the shackle is exposed.
Old 02-23-19, 07:46 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
That kind of lock is designed so its shackle is hidden from a bolt cutter when it’s through the lock hole on a gate or whatever. As shown the shackle is exposed.
Hmm, let's see. In one direction, a U-lock's entire shackle is exposed and can be cut. In another direction, using a padlock that isn't designed to hide its shackle when applied just exposes more of the shackle to attack. In another direction, that little disk lock, with its hardened steel shackle tight around the chain and chainwheel, is going to be harder to cut than anything flexible (like cables and straps). In yet another direction, obviously that little disk lock doesn't provide the resistance to attack that, say, a Xena X2 would, but it's smaller, lighter and possibly something one already has around the house.

So where were you headed with your comment?
Old 02-23-19, 08:19 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Lots of bikes stolen are not getting ridden away. Grabbed and loaded into a van/pickup

Old 02-24-19, 12:53 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
One good trick that urban bike messengers use (besides riding very simple 1-speed bikes with few components to pilfer) is to glue a nice fitting ball bearing into any hex head bolt so that the bearing would have to be painstakingly dug out before removing the part. Some pedals attach with a hex key only. So if you were worried about someone just stealing the pedals (as the OP headline suggests) then you just get those style pedals, install, then glue in the ball bearing.

Source: https://www.bikehacks.com/bikehacks/...art-theft.html
Old 02-24-19, 06:33 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
This whole pedal security idea doesn't make sense...Even if the bike isn't rideable it can still be picked up and carried away or loaded up into a vehicle.
Old 02-25-19, 06:25 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
When I was in college and lived off campus (urban neighborhood) I left my bike in the back yard, easy visibility and access from the alley. It was about 1990, the bike was a cast-off 10sp Bianchi from a friend of my Dad's.

One day I went outside and found that my pedals had been stolen.

The bike was not locked up at all.

I will never know if that was just a prank from some college buddy that forgot to ever tell me about it
Old 02-26-19, 09:24 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,450 Times in 1,429 Posts
I think you are trying to devise a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Bikes do get cannibalized, but pedals don't get stolen, for whatever reason.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-26-19, 11:04 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Aexcept afore a-my (admittedly anomolous) anecdote (above)
Old 03-01-19, 02:59 AM
errymo

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It's useful to install an alarm bell????
Old 03-01-19, 08:50 PM
Papa Tom

OP checking in.

This was never intended to be a discussion about how to avoid having your pedals stolen! Mine cost about fifteen bucks, so they are not an issue.

Also, I fully realize that a bike with any kind of value will be hauled away in a flatbed truck before it is ridden away. I guess I should have been clearer in explaining that I was thinking about a way to protect an average bike (like mine) against a simple ride-away theft, in which, perhaps, the thief is more interested in the thrill of getting away with it than in cashing in on a stripped frame or its parts. When I do overnight rides and need to stop at a 7-Eleven to pee, I mostly worry that some idiot will hop on my junker and take a joy ride just to express his disdain for bicycles and the tree-huggers who ride 'em.

If there's a way to keep that from happening, it might be worth a small investment.

Last edited by Papa Tom; 03-03-19 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-03-19, 10:47 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I was thinking about a way to protect an average bike (like mine) against a simple ride-away theft, in which, perhaps, the thief is more interested in the thrill of getting away with it than in cashing in on a stripped frame or its parts. When I do overnight rides and need to stop at a 7-Eleven to pee, I mostly worry that some idiot will hop on my junker and take a joy ride just to express his disdain for bicycles and the tree-huggers who ride 'em.

If there's a way to keep that from happening, it might be worth a small investment.
Wouldn't any inexpensive locking device serve that purpose?
This one costs $5.99:

https://www.harborfreight.com/combo-...ock-66689.html
Old 03-03-19, 12:20 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Well, at least the rednecks are no longer a concern.
Old 03-03-19, 05:52 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
You caught that, eh? After leaving it up with the original wording for a few days, I started to think, "Hey, there lots of people who identify as rednecks these days and are proud of it.." I can be turned off by that attitude, but I guess I have to keep my mouth shut and live with it.
I don't have to "identify" as a redneck to dislike seeing rural people disparaged en masse.
Old 03-04-19, 01:38 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,450 Times in 1,429 Posts
I have never heard of a bike theft motivated by disdain for bikes or cyclists.

The problem is that a bike can be its own getaway vehicle. And they're small and thus easy to hide. That's why bike theft is a bigger problem than other kinds of theft. Crime is way down in NYC and Boston, but bike theft is still as bad as it ever was in the bad old days.

I still sometimes travel without a lock. I run into a store occasionally, and leave it out. Before I do that, I sabotage it by undoing the QRs on the wheels and sometimes the brakes. I push the shift levers forward so the bike will shift when pedaled. Of course, it's important to remember to undo all that before I ride away.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-04-19, 04:05 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by noglider
What friends and acquaintances have experienced is people stealing bikes from storefronts, etc., riding them a few blocks, then crashing them into a tree or throwing them down a hillside. This type of theft is certainly not ALWAYS committed by someone with disdain for cyclists, but a person has to have some sort of anger in them to do something so messed up.

I work with a lot of tough dudes who ride around in huge pickup trucks looking for people to screw around with, just for laughs. These guys are always talking about throwing things at "those f-ing $%&s in tights" or "accidentally" backing into somebody's expensive ride in a parking lot. So yeah, even if what I'm describing is not theft for theft's sake, it's still the act of bikes being ridden away from their rightful owners.
Old 03-04-19, 05:28 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider

I still sometimes travel without a lock. I run into a store occasionally, and leave it out. Before I do that, I sabotage it by undoing the QRs on the wheels and sometimes the brakes. I push the shift levers forward so the bike will shift when pedaled. Of course, it's important to remember to undo all that before I ride away.
I like your idea of "sabotage"! Of course the paranoid side of me would be worried about the would-be thief injuring themselves and promptly trying to sue you...

As for the stuff Tom was talking about, I went to college with a kid that was into random acts of vandalism and destruction while drunk (which I didn't and don't condone, and which was indeed rather disconcerting). An unlocked bike would have a tempting target for mischief...
Old 03-09-19, 09:13 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
E/IR P/IE Do you know what a cattle wire is. Just like my uncle did when he attempted to stop his cows from walking through the fence. A simple electrical circuit. When they sit on the seat or grab the handlebars they complete the circuit. Add a 180 decibel alarm for effect and wala we have a rude awakening. OK so much for venting.
Old 03-10-19, 10:04 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
A couple of thoughts as another NY'er. First, I never leave a bike locked outside for any length of time. And when I do leave a bike outside it is my commuter that looks like crap although it has a full high end drivetrain, new wheels and other expensive parts. Second, with pedals you can get a pair of hex mounted types and carry a longish 8mm allen wrench like the one that came with my power meter Assioma pedals. And that is another thought, I put those on my commuter occasionally and those cost $$$$. I wouldn't leave them on my bike locked up outside, although I will in my office parking area since there is a security guard at the desk right there. But I take these off and swap them around easily enough and you can have a pair of pedals like that that are easy to remove and then you can thread a cable through the cranks. Another thing, when I'm running into a store I always thread my helmet through the wheels so nobody can jump on and pedal off without me seeing him fall to the ground first to kick the living shiiite out of him, and hopefully I have my carbon soled shoes on too. And always a store where I can keep it in view.

Mostly I just don't lock my bike up.

As for Copenhagen, I was there last summer and the bike rental shop seemed unconcerned about theft. They give you a lock that you would never use in NYC. There are piles of bikes at the Metro stations that look like they've been there for years, they can steal one of them.