Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

SRAM derailleur pulleys

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

SRAM derailleur pulleys

Old 03-14-19, 07:05 PM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
SRAM derailleur pulleys

Side to side play indicates the pulleys need to be replaced? I took the X7 derailleur off my 2007 Dahon folder awhile ago; now I may need to put it back on. SRAM uses what looks, from the parts manual, like a nearly infinite variety of pulleys. But I suppose I can get the right ones if I need to. The upper one here is weird. The post doesn't go through the center of the pulley; it's offset. I don't know why SRAM would do that except to make sure I have to go to them for replacements. Anyway there shouldn't be much movement side to side, right?
Old 03-14-19, 07:47 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
Side to side play indicates the pulleys need to be replaced?
Probably not. How much play, in mm? What problem are you attempting to cure?
Old 03-15-19, 12:37 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The upper pulley has some play side-to-side to help with indexing. Unless it’s rocking, it’s fine.
Old 03-15-19, 06:13 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
The upper one here is weird. The post doesn't go through the center of the pulley; it's offset.
The way this is written, it sounds like the axle of the pulley is not centered, but offset. If that is the case, the pulley would not make a circular motion when it spins, but more elliptical, right? Can you post a picture of what this upper pulley looks like?

Or do you mean that the center of the pulley is not mounted on the center of the cage pivot, and that is offset some (like many derailleurs are, especially Shimano and clones)? I think this is often done to keep pulley spacing with the cassette more consistent.
Old 03-15-19, 06:58 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Here's the view from SRAM's parts book. My lower pulley is different, but the upper is identical. The drawing doesn't show the fixing bolt for the upper pulley but what's different is it doesn't go through the center. You can see from the dash rule that indicates alignment, it goes through one of those outer holes. A nub on the cage engages the other hole on the cap to ensure that just the pulley, not the hub or caps, does the spinning. Weird, right? Anyway there's 1-mm side to side play or just slightly more between the pulley and the cage, which seems to me like a lot in such a small item.

Why I took the derailleur off in the first place: It seemed like there was a lot of resistance to the chain moving through it, especially noticeable when back pedaling. I put on an Altus and there was a world of difference. Now I might need the Altus for another bike. I wish there was someone to ask at SRAM.
Old 03-15-19, 07:25 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
The upper pulley has some play side-to-side to help with indexing. Unless it’s rocking, it’s fine.
If you ask me I would say it is rocking. Quite a lot, too.