Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to improve triple FD performance?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-19, 11:33 AM
geezerwheels

Bikes: +/-2000 Alp d'Huez (Dura Ace/Ultegra) Alloy Synapse disc (Ultegra), '84 de Rosa Eddie Merckx Super Prestige (Modified with 10sp Record mechs), Carbon Synapse disc (SRAM Red), '80-something Trek 540 (7sp AccuShift), Serotta Fierte (Ultegra)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it's my wife's Marin Fairfax Alp, with entry level 3x8 flat bar shifting, and road gearing. The original left shifter had already exploded, so I replaced both shifters with a set of Shimano ST-R225's. The FD is an R-334, and the crank is an optimistic 52-42-30. It takes about two fingers of slack in the first position of the little ring, just to make to the big ring. Even so, with the inner guide laying against the seat tube, the chain still rubs in little-little.

I could swap out the front mechanics with SRAM twisters, and suitable FD. (Or will SRAM shifters pull Shimano deraileurs?) But then why not do the rear mech's to match? Or go to XT, although I'm not sure there is a mountain ratio FD that would handle 52 teeth. Not that my wife ever goes that fast. So why not go with a compact double? But then she would need a bigger cog for hills...

You see where this is going....

thanks for reading ;-)
Old 03-16-19, 11:48 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Just adjust it better... cable and derailleur
Take pliers to that DR if you need to bend it so it doesn't rub.
Old 03-16-19, 01:57 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
The MRX series pf Grip Shift controls are the Shimano compatible versions. If you get a micro friction front type then there's no specific click per shift and the der can be trimmed to avoid rub.

But there's a big difference in the ergonomics between the Grip Shift and the Shimano lever action shifters. I would hope you would ask your wife for her preference first

Unsure what "It takes about two fingers of slack in the first position of the little ring, just to make to the big ring." means. But as to the small-small rub, don't use that gear. It's the second worst as far as cross over, noise and wear goes. I generally suggest that when in the small ring one should avoid the last 2 or 3 smallest rear cogs. (Just as when in the big ring avoid the last couple of big cogs). Andy
Old 03-16-19, 02:04 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Front Shifting is a learned Skill , not a thing I Buy,..

the lesson is: plan when you shift and let up on the pedal force, so the shift wont work against that resistance..

Read the road ahead and shift down to the smaller ring before you get into the hill ..

Up shift at the top as you get ready to go down..

Old 03-16-19, 02:06 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I've found the Park Tools front derailleur adjustment procedures to be very helpful.
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...&area%5B%5D=52

Generally, SRAM 8-spd twisters work with Shimano front derailleurs, and SRAM twisters with model names/letters, not model numbers, work with Shimano rear derailleurs. But, you may be ok with adjustment of what you have.