Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ultimate Cargo Bike

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Ultimate Cargo Bike

Old 09-05-07, 10:50 PM
Bushman
Grumbly Goat

Bikes: bicycles with round wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its not next spring yet!!! i got a long ways to go before i import it. (its pretty pricy).
Old 09-05-07, 10:50 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by le brad
I wonder if you could camp in this?
There are things like that all over in the city I am in, in China. They are generally used for cargo and have to be pushed up most hills. I am seeing the new ones having some form of power assist. I see no reason that it wouldn't work, it would just be real slow.
Old 09-09-07, 10:21 PM
workingbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
You realize we'll all find you and hunt you down if you do not post pics when the time comes, don't you?
Heck with that, I'm gonna hunt him down and steal it!

Oh, hang on, I just read he has chainsaws, maybe not such a good idea.

Seriously, would love to see pics when you get it.
Old 09-10-07, 06:00 PM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
The ultimate cargo bike? we have it right here in Australia.

Everything was built by the owner in CrMo, right down to the forks. The bike is called "one less ute". 'Ute' is short for utility vehichle, what Americans call pickup trucks. You can see how the load bearing platform folds up when not in use.

Old 09-10-07, 06:19 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow that is amazing! What a completely practical vehicle

My one worry would be that with the rider so far back from the front wheel an unobservant car driver might run over the cargo platform.
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 09-10-07, 07:05 PM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I'm loving the folding load bed.

Ute is what we call small SUVs and a tribe out west, we call pickups, trucks.
Old 09-10-07, 07:41 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i really like that home built cargo bike. the chain drive steering is interesting!

here's a pic of my bak: (anxiously awaiting a traditional kid cover for wet and rainy grocery and tool hauling!)

Old 09-11-07, 08:38 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

from instructables, of course.
Old 09-11-07, 09:50 AM
Elkhound

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclaholic

Everything was built by the owner in CrMo, right down to the forks. The bike is called "one less ute". 'Ute' is short for utility vehichle, what Americans call pickup trucks. You can see how the load bearing platform folds up when not in use.
Do you have a link to the manufacturer, or is it a custom job?
Old 09-11-07, 09:52 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elkhound
Originally Posted by Cyclaholic

seems custom to me.
Old 09-13-07, 03:19 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What a terrific rig Would you have a clear photo of the rear axle setup on the trike?

I love my own tricycle and consider it to be a perfect car replacement.

OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 09-13-07, 09:11 PM
Bushman
Grumbly Goat

Bikes: bicycles with round wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by workingbike
Heck with that, I'm gonna hunt him down and steal it!

Oh, hang on, I just read he has chainsaws, maybe not such a good idea.

Seriously, would love to see pics when you get it.
i dont just have chainsaws......i also dabble in machining my own...um..."thundersticks" ..

I'm looking at late sept next year to finalize this...i need to raise about $7000 to cover the cost of the bike and duties.
Old 09-13-07, 10:21 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thebikeguy
While I still had it out. Here's a pic of the drive. So the hub has had the spokes removed and two cogs screwed into place through the spoke holes. Each axle has a freewheel on it so when you turn a corner, the power is dstributed evenly to both wheels. Brilliant.
Thank you very much for going to the trouble of taking that photo for me. You sir are a gentleman
Old 09-14-07, 12:02 AM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Elkhound
It was a one-of custom built by my friend Moz. He's a prolific tinkerer, check out more of his creations here... https://www.mozbike.com/
Old 09-15-07, 11:01 PM
Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
I wouldn't really call that a differential since the wheel that's turning faster (the one on the outside of the turn) isn't receiving any torque. But at least it has a form of limited slip- you're only driving the slowest turning wheel, so if you lose traction on one wheel (say it lifts in a corner) you're still driving the one with traction.
Old 09-20-07, 12:50 AM
thebikeguy
Smiling and Waving

Bikes: -

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, that's the beauty of this set up. Both wheels get torque all the time.I had it out last winter and I could spin both wheels turning or straight.In a corner it's the inside freewheel that spins but the power is still transmitted to it even though the freewheel is turning slightly.Like I said, a brilliant design.
Old 09-20-07, 12:59 PM
invisible

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice!

that trike transmission is the best ive seen yet! ive ridden a bunch of trikes and until now the best one had a differential on it like a car, but sadly the thing got skidded on so much that the teeth sheered off gears inside the differential. that trike looks great! looks like you can pedal even with one wheel off the ground, which is great when just fooling around on the things!

as for cargo bikes, i built a long john style bike a few years back out of a bmx and a step through, ill see if i can dig up some pics of it, as its currently in the possession of my buddy...
Old 11-09-07, 05:40 PM
invisible

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok so it took a bit longer than id thought

but i figured out how to post this thing now! hooray! so here it is, the diy cargo bike:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cargosmall.JPG (56.1 KB, 208 views)
Old 11-09-07, 07:11 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by invisible
but i figured out how to post this thing now! hooray! so here it is, the diy cargo bike:
Ok, that's really great, but now you've got to tell us how you built it
Old 11-10-07, 06:08 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
If it has freewheel on both wheels, then you never get power to the outside wheel until the inside one slips. That's different from a car differential, which can deliver power to both wheels while turning (but when one wheel slips, no power goes to the remaining one).

That's not a criticism of the set-up- just an observation. Seems like I saw an OLD pedicab a while back, and it actually had a differential in it. But on a typical three-wheeler, I would expect either a set-up like yours or else just one wheel would be powered.
Old 11-10-07, 07:18 PM
invisible

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that carbo bike there is a mix of a a few doner frames. the step through is left as is, the bmx had its stays cut off, and the third bike was used for its tubes only, but was trashed and couldnt have been used for riding anyway. with a little time and a cheep mig welder, the whole thing got stuck together. it was tricky getting the welds to work though, as the tubing is thin and the only adjustments on the welder were on/off, fast/slow and high/low. as they were simplly switches we only had 4 on settings to choose from and found that blowing holes in bike tubes is easy. the thing is strong though and has carried people, buss parts, groceries, and much more!

as for the trike above, im not sure if that last post is aimed at me, but if it is, i was saying that the method used to get the power to wheels on that trike is probably the best ive seen, as power would still go to the wheel on the ground if the other came up, i know its not a differential, but i did have a trike that actually had a differentail, and it didnt work out that well, in fact all the skidding it got put through sheard the teeth off of the cogs inside the unit!
Old 11-10-07, 08:51 PM
oldfool
Infidel

Bikes: 1976 step thru Schwin 10 speed with fenders, home made20" long bike, '73 Puegeot P-15, several beaters, kids bikes and projects

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is a little something different and totally practical for pedal powered utility. I have been aware of this concept for some time but I keep going in several directions at once (senior moments) and losing the link. Being a front wheel drive bicycle/tricycle builder at one time is what lead me to it. At one time I had an image of one of these carrying a refrigerator and another of a bunch of drunks being ferried home after a night out but I have lost those. I don't need one but if there was ever a reason to learn to weld this is it.

image is not me

https://drumbent.com/trike.html

https://organicengines.com/lazy-index.php

https://drumbent.com/trikedetails6.html

https://drumbent.com/trike/trikeload.AVI
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
kyoto.jpg (57.1 KB, 130 views)
Old 11-11-07, 02:47 AM
geebee

Bikes: GT3 trike,Viper chopper, electric assist Viper chopper,Electric moped(Vespa style)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I assume you guys and gals are aware of the SUV trike at Organic engines?
https://organicengines.com/products/t...e-aka-the-suv/

Old 11-12-07, 12:46 AM
Chicagoan

Bikes: Fixie conversion, a few 10 speeds, a trailer, I GT Transeo for utilitarian riding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cool he is pulling trailers that you pull with a car, nice
Old 11-17-07, 03:30 PM
v1nce

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I sell all kinds of Cargo utility bikes for a living in the Netherlands'. Our shops strives and succeeds at having the widest range of manufacturers and models in the NL (which probably implies the world). We sold the TrioBike twice... never again! It stinks! Badly! A great piece of design that looks flash but functions very poorly... To wit: The disk brakes barely brake no matter how much you adjust them. The steering is very very dodgy, costs tons of effort and is very akward. Very easy to oversteer yet hard to compensate. The stability of the bike is okay at best.

Additionally the concept of a MTB style bike with a real aero position combined with a bike specifically meant to haul kids is flawed. I am sure there are 1 or 2 moms who want to cycle fast when they haul their kids and then spend 5 minutes getting grease on their hands and doing (dis)assembly so they can convert their Triobike into an MTB and then bomb down some moderate hills,.. but i have yet to meet them. Pass on this bike.

By contrast the Cargobike Long by Bakfiets.nl that pictures were posted off is the very best Cargobike out there (though that SUV recumbent might be a challenger to the throne).

It rides faster and easier (amazing handling) than any other cargobike (especially three wheelers), excellent parts and durability, low center of gravity. The biggest selling new Cargobike in the NL (world?) for a few years running. And, on top of that it has been tested as being the best Cargobike by the independent and authoritieve Cyclist Union (Fietsersbond) and it is the cheapest new cargobike bike we sell! We sell it at 1505 Euros and with the 7 Speed Shimano hub. By contrast the Triobike is almost a cool E 1000 more expensive!!

As you can tell i love this bike and that it has my vote despite selling and riding more than 8 other major brands and models 3 days a week.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.