Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

cetmaracks

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-09, 08:02 PM
Joyfulmama

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bergermeister
You could make one pretty inexpensively. I just flipped an extra rear rack that I had laying around, and bent some flat bar into a bracket to the fork crown, with a vinyl c-clamp on the rack. For aesthetics and a larger footprint for cargo, I attached planks of wood perpendicular across the top, but not covering the front and rear of the rack so as to still have areas to attach bungees. With the wood on top, it doesn't look like a backwards rear rack.

We need pictures!
Old 07-23-09, 12:48 PM
cman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bellweatherman
Yikes. Sorry to hear your negative experience from Cetma Racks. It'll make me think twice before ordering from them.
Maybe it will get better.

https://cetmacargo.tumblr.com/post/14...evious-post-my
Upon losing my father, a curious pair of simultaneous positive events have presented themselves to me. I don’t want to say what they are, but suffice it to say it will likely lead to changes in the way I conduct CETMA racks and CETMA cargo. More later.
Old 02-19-10, 08:08 PM
ratattack

Bikes: IRO mark v & a loaned mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did this ever get resolved? i've been waiting for a cetma rack that was ordered for me as a gift from my sister in may 2009. it's now late february, it hasn't arrived, and there has been no response to the emails my sister sent inquiring as to when the rack would be finished/sent out.
Old 02-19-10, 09:47 PM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
I love this thread. I can identify with OP. I recently purchased a Big Dummy frame from a certain on line retailer and a longtail xtracycle kit from another. The xtracycle longtail kit arrived 2 days after ordered. The frame set has been a week and counting, but it's on its way ( I have a tracking number). I know one is a frame and the other is a bag with a skateboard deck, but both companies promised less than a week delivery. The rack lady's rack are definitely worth considering.
Old 02-22-10, 09:42 PM
MUNIsucks

Bikes: Schwinn Chicago (le tour??) and c1985 League Fuji mix of Suntour Lepreel, sugino, dia-compe with nitto promenade bars.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I'm on the market for a rack too but don't know what to do...

For the look of the cetma racks and the price and wait time (time is money) it doesn't seem to be worth the asking price.

From what I can gather, he has lost a lot of potential business.

Antbikemike.wordpress.com/racks

has some good stuff.

And I don't think its "cool" either that the rack lady doesn't have a site. That too has its opportunity costs.
Old 02-22-10, 10:38 PM
vegenaise
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
needed some parts from lane and he offered to meet me in person and then refused to accept money for it. i've talked to him a few times and he seems like a good dude. out of the handful of bad reviews i bet he has hundreds and hundreds of great ones.
Old 02-23-10, 12:54 PM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
But the bad reviews are not that someone doesn't like the racks or the shipping was slow, it seems he is not delivering on prepaid orders. He might be a nice guy in person and just needs someone to keep things in order at the office but taking people's money...
Old 02-23-10, 01:29 PM
MUNIsucks

Bikes: Schwinn Chicago (le tour??) and c1985 League Fuji mix of Suntour Lepreel, sugino, dia-compe with nitto promenade bars.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Obviously there is a niche to be fulfilled in this market.

So all you guys at the top of Maslow's hierarchy.... consider delivering! haha

Last edited by MUNIsucks; 02-23-10 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-23-10, 07:59 PM
vegenaise
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crackerdog
But the bad reviews are not that someone doesn't like the racks or the shipping was slow, it seems he is not delivering on prepaid orders. He might be a nice guy in person and just needs someone to keep things in order at the office but taking people's money...
yea but we don't know the whole story. perhaps the op was a complete jackass on the phone and lane is just stringing him along for 6 months to tell him to screw off or something. not saying that he would do that, but i would.
Old 02-23-10, 09:57 PM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I was telling someone to screw off, I would send back the money. I don't know if any of the story is true, just like all the interwebs, but based on what I have read, I would get on top of it one way or another (I've been running tiny businesses for many years). People don't mind if I am going to be late as long as I tell them the truth and let the customer decide on what to do.
Old 02-24-10, 12:07 AM
SlowRoller

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MUNIsucks
Obviously there is a niche to be fulfilled in this market.
You live in SF, so why not: https://www.passstow.com/
Old 02-24-10, 12:52 AM
MUNIsucks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$250...
Old 02-24-10, 01:50 AM
vegenaise
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crackerdog
If I was telling someone to screw off, I would send back the money.
but see, that's the genius of it. dicking around with someone's money on hold is a way better form of screwing with someone than just a straight up refund.

$250...
man, are you so cheap that you don't want quality? my pass and stow is the best rack i've ever used, and imo the best out there. and when you think about it in terms of how long it will last, it is totally reasonably priced. people always complain about the price, and it just seems really stupid to me.
Old 02-24-10, 08:52 AM
SlowRoller

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$250...
There's always the standard porteur rack from VO, $145-160: https://www.velo-orange.com/racks.html. I think Leah's Rack Lady racks are amazing, and at ~$200 for a custom rack, an amazing deal as well (and I don't think she's hurting for business). For off-the-shelf, I'd probably go with the Pass and Stow. I didn't know the ANT racks were being sold separately from bike builds again, but I'm sure he's charging well north of $200 for those. As vegenaise mentions, good racks may seem pricey, but I think they're worth it, if you rely on them a lot and to carry a lot. A couple of things to note regarding quality is how well the struts are triangulated to the platform, and how/where the platform attaches to the frame.

Good luck with your search!
Old 02-25-10, 02:30 PM
MUNIsucks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vegenaise
but see, that's the genius of it. dicking around with someone's money on hold is a way better form of screwing with someone than just a straight up refund.

man, are you so cheap that you don't want quality? my pass and stow is the best rack i've ever used, and imo the best out there. and when you think about it in terms of how long it will last, it is totally reasonably priced. people always complain about the price, and it just seems really stupid to me.

Whoa, is this guy your brother or something?

I'm a college student who doesn't have that much money to start with (lets save the stereotypes here, I don't blow my money on booze and weed). I want a rack for groceries laundry and street rummaging.

I do think the rack lady is providing more value because its CUSTOM work for a comparable price.

And if I was going to be spending $250 on a rack I would probably step it up and get a fork with a drilled out crown (which yes would prove to last my lifetime).

Its a good looking rack, but its also a designer rack.... Its one of the first options that come up when searching. you're paying for convenience of attainment, the actual product and the fact its a designer rack.

I havent ruled out the P&S, I'm looking for any and every alternative. I may end up dropping that much but I'd really like to see if there is another solution first.

It's not so "stupid" as you crassly put it as it is just getting the best bang for the buck.

side note.
I have read that the tange on the VO rack attaching it to the top of the fork is a bit flimsy and could be a problem down the road so that kinda bummed me out.

one more thing... consider Freight Baggage's rack bag in concert with a pass stow rack(which they desgined the bag for)... Thats $400!
Old 02-26-10, 01:02 AM
vegenaise
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stop being so broke dude. get in the drug trade. i won't ride any bike that costs less than 2 g's.

on a more serious note, just because it's custom, doesn't necessary mean it's better. you'd be hard pressed to find a platform rack that is better designed than the p&s. like, im not sure how you could improve upon it. any other platform rack that can also take panniers that i've seen don't come close. i guess if you're into wood slats and all that crap. i want something that will work and last. not something that doesn't serve much of a point other then being flashy.

$400 bucks for a quality waterproof bag and a rack like p&s seems very reasonable to me.
Old 02-26-10, 03:25 PM
MUNIsucks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, fair enough.

I guess looking at it in the context of my bike being worth like $250 and then having $400 over the fork is what makes me hesitant.

cheers,
Old 03-12-10, 02:15 PM
MUNIsucks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any updates on the guys that are waiting on their Cetmas? He updated the site with new racks and prices...

also, I found the alternative I've been looking for. I'll keep you updated...
Old 03-12-10, 04:17 PM
cman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Muni- try his website. It list a 4 week wait currently. It also list his phone number.
Old 03-12-10, 05:57 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Porteur racks are for posers.
Old 03-12-10, 06:19 PM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
I wanna be a poser!
Old 03-12-10, 06:22 PM
vegenaise
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
Porteur racks are for posers.
care to elaborate on this statement?
Old 03-12-10, 06:29 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bugly64
I wanna be a poser!
Believe in yourself and make it happen!
Old 03-12-10, 06:30 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vegenaise
care to elaborate on this statement?
No
Old 03-12-10, 06:42 PM
vegenaise
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.