Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery Custom Frameset

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mystery Custom Frameset

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-21, 05:38 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Mystery Custom Frameset

I picked up this mystery frame last week, and it just doesn't match anything I've seen before. Some details are pointing to a (British? American?) custom build, so I'm doubtful I'll figure out who actually made it. Maybe someone here will recognize the work. The most unique feature I see is the shifter stop made from a piece of wire. There is no serial number anywhere. It has English BB threads, a 26.8mm seat post, Campy dropouts and Bocama lugs. The only stamp anywhere is a 58 stamped on the steerer tube. Rear OLD is 125mm. The seat tube measures 56cm center-to-center, and the top tube measures 58cm. The seller had stripped off all the NR bits.

Last edited by Hudson308; 12-25-21 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-26-21, 08:12 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

thanks very much for sharing this mystery

do not see anything in the images to suggest a custom or artisanal product but then your eyes are the ones on the scene

use of a piece of wire as a no-slide pib is not especially rare but perhaps a helpful clue for the right pair of eyes...

the three possible national origins which come to mind are AT, BE & DE

frame appears early '70's with w/b mount a likely addition made prior to the present respray

the top tube housing stops will be a helpful clue for detectives of the calibre of our MauriceMoss since they are not widely seen...

here are a couple views of the machine's BOCAMA Professional lug set bare -

-----

Last edited by juvela; 12-26-21 at 08:16 AM. Reason: addition
Old 12-26-21, 09:05 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Is that a stamping on the top of the seatstay, where it's flat against the lugs? Can't see from angle of photo.

​​​​​​

Also, there is a cable guide and a cable stop located together, at each point where cable housings end or start. We see that double set on many bikes on the top tube, but not on every location on the frame set.
I"m sure I've seen that before but it's certainly shows a nice attention to detail of and one you don't see that often. Perhaps that is an identifier?

Old 12-26-21, 12:20 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 351 Posts
Hudson308 I saw the ad for that one too and was quite curious about it. I looked at the sellers pics for quite awhile and wasn’t able to come up with anything definitive, but it’s nice to see some better more comprehensive photos. Hopefully someone comes along who’ll recognize it. It’s certainly a nice frame.
Old 12-26-21, 12:28 PM
juvela

-----

...one possibility to keep in mind is that it might be a student/hobby frame in which case we would be unlikely to ever discover an identification for the maker...

make no assertion that this is the case

-----
Old 12-26-21, 01:04 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 221 Posts
Chrome on a student / hobby build ? Possible but a stretch for someone building a project frame. Just getting the bits together and having a semi straight frame would be enough to make most call it done and dusted.
Old 12-26-21, 06:51 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
thanks very much for sharing this mystery
Thanks again for more useful info, Juvela! I've always appreciated your willingness to help.

Originally Posted by WGB
Is that a stamping on the top of the seatstay, where it's flat against the lugs? Can't see from angle of photo.
Also, there is a cable guide and a cable stop located together, at each point where cable housings end or start. Perhaps that is an identifier?
No stamp on the seatstays. The camera angle exaggerates the paint scrapes there. I also neglected to point out those double cable stops. They might indeed be a valuable clue.

Originally Posted by Pcampeau
Hudson308 I saw the ad for that one too and was quite curious about it.
I watched the ad for a few weeks, and it kept calling to me. When the price got low enough I had to make the trip to go see it.

The Twin Cities area has some fantastic local, independent frame builders. My best guess is still that it was made by one of them. I'd love it if it has local roots. Hopefully time will tell. Thanks for all the feedback so far, guys!
Old 12-26-21, 07:05 PM
juvela

-----

one piece of information i found somewhat surprising is the 26.8 pillar size

have you been able to verify that it is the original size and not due to out of roundness for example?

---

your idea of a possible local maker sounds potentially promising

forum members gomango & Pcampeau are local and may be able to suggest name(s) to explore...

-----

Last edited by juvela; 12-27-21 at 11:48 AM. Reason: addition