Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery pre-war bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mystery pre-war bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-22, 06:18 PM
Glyndwr

Bikes: 1989 Eddy Merckx Century Hitachi Team, 2008 Colnago Master X-Light, 2012 Cannondale SuperSix 5 Liquigas Team, 1995 Vitus 992 Lotto Team, 2006 Bianchi Cross Concept, 1992 Pinarello Asolo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mystery pre-war bike?

A neighbor found this gem in his barn (yeah, that does sound cliché, but it's true). Unfortunately, it's head tube badge was missing. The bike is equipped with a two-speed kickback hub and coaster brake. It looks very much like a pre-war Schwinn Model C but that bike has a horizontal (what I'll call) secondary top tube, and this bike's is slightly bowed. The junction between the top, head and down tubes on the Model C is simple and angular, while this bike has a rounded "flare" from the top tube to the down tube. Anyone have an idea what this brand/model is?

Old 03-30-22, 06:36 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Whatever it is, it's pretty sweet.
This really is more the wheelhouse of the guys over on the Cabe. You might want to post over there as well. If you do find out elsewhere, please let us know.

Last edited by Hudson308; 03-30-22 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-30-22, 06:40 PM
Fat Tire Trader 

Bikes: https://www.fattiretrading.com/collection.html

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 23 Posts
It is Murray built, could be a Mercury or an Elgin or a Hiawatha. The same bike could have been sold as any of the above. I have a few of them. This is my Elgin that I put together for riding down Mt. Tamalpais.

Last edited by Fat Tire Trader; 03-30-22 at 06:59 PM.
Likes For Fat Tire Trader:
Old 03-31-22, 10:13 PM
WildRalph

Bikes: '85 Le tour Luxe, Puch Mixtie, Raleigh Gran Sport, Mystery Machine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I second "the cabe." Sometimes the chainring can help i.d manufacturer, but is often swapped out. That chainring is what i would call "unique." There is a crank/chainring just like it on Ebay, alleged by seller, as from a 1950's Western Flyer, manufactured by Huffman, and has "HM Co." markings. There is also an online article about "Dual Suspension" antique bikes, specifically, a 1938 Monark, that has that same chainring. Whether original or not, is unknown to me. As far as frame features, i will defer to Fat Tire's assessment, cuz that is beyond me. All the best.