Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I hate cancer

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I hate cancer

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-07, 03:57 PM
ripa
51.8977°N 8.4711°W

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hate cancer

My mom was diagnosed with cancer in or around the summer of 2004. When they found it, she was really bad off. For several years she had all the symptoms but the doctors never put all the clues together. I’m not bitter about that, it is what it is.

When she found out she was sick, she cried a little and got mad at her cancer a lot. She told all of my siblings she was going to fight his disease and she was going to win. I believed her, heck…she was my mom, she was always right. She changed her diet and started to keep a log of everything she did. What she ate, her exercise and sleep patterns and all her medications went in to her log book. She went to all her doctors appointments and did everything she was told. She began to read anything and everything that related to her treatments and cancer in general. Some of it was helpful and some not, but she studied it all the same.

As she moved along in the process and the cancer started to gain the upper hand she was placed on a pretty demanding treatment schedule that involved tremendous amounts of chemo therapy. These treatments would make her terrible sick and she lost so much weight. Between treatments they gave her other medications that had nasty side effects. Some of the medications would make her gain weight and make her look bloated all the time. She would sea-saw back on forth during these weight loss and weight gain periods for months it seemed. She never lost hope or the will to fight. She was terribly strong.

During her battles I would visit, as would my other nine siblings and see how she was doing as well as take her on errands or to her appointments for treatments. During my visits we would talk about her childhood. My mother’s family came to the United States from Ireland. She was born in the Bronx, NY just before WWII began. Her family then moved back to Ireland after the war where she grew up for the most part. They again moved back to the states when she was just becoming a young woman. She met my father one day while working in NY. They fell in love married and then moved to Texas.

She spoke to me often of her days as a child in Ireland and how she wanted to go back there and ride her bike. We made a promise that she and I along with one of my brothers would make a trip back, just the three of us and we would ride around the same places she did when she was growing up. We all looked forward to that day. These talks gave her hope and gave us something to talk about other than her cancer.

My mother passed away on a Saturday. I was not with her when she died. I was traveling for work. It took an entire day to get home. It was the longest day of my life. My mom left my brother and me a note. In it she said just two things. “I love you…please finish the ride for me….Mom.” That’s when I became a cyclist.

I bought my first bike the winter of 2006 just a few months after she past and I began to train like never before. I had a promise to keep. My brother had been riding for over 10 years so he was way ahead of me. I had a lot to learn. We planed on completing the promise this summer and were talking about shoring up the plans one day on the phone when he said he had to go but would call me back. My brother called back a few days later and told me we needed to make the trip soon. I asked him why and he told me he was sick…I didn’t understand. He then told me he had cancer.

He began treatments in January of this year to help reduce the tumor in his brain. He lived three to four hours away in a small Texas town, during his visits to the hospital he would stay with my family or with some of my other brothers and sisters. We continued to make plans to complete our trip to Ireland. On one of his visits he saw a picture I have on my PC of 55/RADS chrome Pinarello. He fell in love. It gave me an idea. I began to look for a bike that we could build up together something that he could look forward to besides his treatments. I found a bike just like RAD’s but was out bid on eBay. I contacted the lucky winner (BF member aka: Mariner Fan) and asked him if he would part with his new find. He considered it and we worked out an agreement. With the help of RAD (who also made an unbelievably generous offer that I will not go into here) and Mariner Fan we were well on our way to building a special bike my brother could be proud of. All this talk and planning gave him hope and it sure brightened up his days.

Work took me away for three days again when the phone rang. My wife said that my brother was having some challenges and was in the hospital, this time not for his normal treatments. When I returned I went to see him and he had aged almost overnight. The chemo was not working and the tumor was growing at an alarming rate. His doctors recommended that he have surgery to remove the tumor before it could cause any additional damage. He agreed that this was the best plan and arrangements were made. Just before he went in for surgery he told me not to give up because he wasn’t and to remember we had a promise to keep. He said he had decided that we should build out an old Colnago that would rival RAD’s Pinarello and he could not wait to get started. He told me he could see the bike we were going to build and man was she pretty and lord was she fast! After ten hours of surgery the doctors came out to tell us they were done.

My brother died on a Tuesday. We laid him to rest on St. Patrick’s Day, fitting I think. He fought for three days but he was just so very tired. Like my mom had done before he left me a note. It simply said; “Never give up. I can see that bike and man is she pretty and lord is she fast! Finish it up and complete the ride…we have a promise to keep.”

I will keep the promise we made and travel to Ireland to complete the ride. Both my mom and my brother will be with me. I bought an old Colnago on eBay and as I build out the bike I know I will need help and advice. I really have no clue about what I’m doing but I know it will be special. I want to thank 55/RAD and Mariner Fan for their time and generosity. I could never repay them for their kindness and the hope they gave my brother.

I do have other thing to say…I hate cancer.
Old 03-19-07, 04:00 PM
voltman
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No words, except best wishes to you.
Old 03-19-07, 04:01 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
condolences.
Old 03-19-07, 04:02 PM
UTmtnbiker
Master of the Universe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. Powerful. Brought a tear to my eye just reading this story.

Good luck and best wishes.
Old 03-19-07, 04:09 PM
8Lives

Bikes: Lemond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your courage in fulfilling that promise is an inspiration.
Old 03-19-07, 04:11 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My condolences to you on two tragedies in your family in such a short time, and I wish you well on your ride. I have no doubt that it will be memorable.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-19-07, 04:12 PM
rog
militant buddhist

Bikes: '08 Scott CR-1 Pro, '02 Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just remembered that my mundane problems are no big deal at all. My deepest condolences.
Old 03-19-07, 04:26 PM
heddywouldgo
huge...tracts of land

Bikes: Ciocc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rog
I just remembered that my mundane problems are no big deal at all. My deepest condolences.
+1

A very moving story. I'll be cheering for you to complete that ride
Old 03-19-07, 04:29 PM
donrhummy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate cancer too. I'm very sorry for your loss and I hope your trip is successful. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Old 03-19-07, 04:30 PM
avmanansala

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I hope that time heals your wounds and you find comfort in the memories you shared.
Old 03-19-07, 04:47 PM
HWS
Fuji Shill

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn...
Old 03-19-07, 04:49 PM
dagna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am so sorry. I'm glad they will be riding with you in Ireland, and I suspect they'll watch over the bike build, too.

I hate cancer, too.
Old 03-19-07, 05:15 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Wow....good luck with everything.....
Old 03-19-07, 05:21 PM
Hammertoe
A Little Bent

Location: Struggling up a hillside in Vermont, USA... ..........................................
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My heartfelt condolences....

Life is something to be cherished...

Enjoy your ride...

Your Mom and Brother will always be with you....
Old 03-19-07, 05:22 PM
biker7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 75 year old beloved Mom had cancer last year. After treatment she is clean but cancer is such an insidious disease. I try to think what the world would be like without her positive spirit and it is hard.
My girlfriend and best friend's Mom's died of it recently...both wonderful ladies.
I wish you the very best and ride that bike in their memory.
George
Old 03-19-07, 05:28 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ugh....My mother died in 1993 of ovarian cancer. It is why I became a scientist. Not that it helps your mother or brother, but I and my colleagues work very hard so that hopefully no one else has experience what my poor mother did and so many others. Many of us have personal experiences with cancer and don't ever forget the anguish. My thoughts are with you.
Old 03-19-07, 05:40 PM
twahl
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's inspiring to know that your family is so close that they can give you so much inspiration even when they are no longer with you. We'll all be thinking of you, and looking forward to hearing the report of your ride.

"It hurts so good..."
Old 03-19-07, 05:42 PM
c_bake

Bikes: Kestrel RT900SL, 1975 Viner, Specialized StumpJumper

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cancer is so limited.
It cannot cripple love.
It cannot shatter hope.
It cannot corrode faith.
It cannot eat away peace.
It cannot destroy confidence.
It cannot shut out memories.
It cannot silence courage.
It cannot quench the spirit.
Old 03-19-07, 05:49 PM
Mcurrier1241

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know your pain my friend, I also lost my brother to cancer. He was diagnosed with brain cancer when he was 9. The treatments worked and he was fine until the summer before his 18th birthday. The cancer came back and he fought strong, he died in my fathers arms at the hospital 7 years ago. He was an avid mountain biker, we bought him a black marble gravestone with a picture of him riding his bike engraved on it, it is beautiful.
Old 03-19-07, 05:52 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Sorry to hear of your losses. My deepest condolences. I hope you finish the ride for them both. Keep their memories close, for nothing can ever take that away from you. I had my own, all too close brush with cancer when I was 18. Thankfully it was caught early, and was on the skin, but something like that changes a person forever. At first I was scared, then worried, timid about life. It took several years before I took grasp of my future back from that fear. I wish you the best, where ever the road takes you.
Old 03-19-07, 05:53 PM
blonduathlongrl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Big hug.
Old 03-19-07, 05:57 PM
yairi
é wot?

Bikes: Gary Fisher Montare, 1973 Bottechia, IRO Jamie Roy,1998 Cervelo Eyre Tri, 1982 Peugeot Sport fixed gear, and some kind of red bike hanging in the rafters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with you. I lost my mother to cancer last year, almost a year ago now. Still feels like yesterday.

You must finish that ride.
Old 03-19-07, 06:05 PM
cslone
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry for your losses. I can't imagine what that's like.
Old 03-19-07, 06:13 PM
powerglide
~ Going the Distance ~

Bikes: 2006 Bianchi Carbon 928, 2002 Gary Fisher Utopia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss.
Best Regards,
-Tom
Old 03-19-07, 06:18 PM
Ih8lucky13
The Truth

Bikes: Felt f4c, Felt RXC, Guerciotti Khaybar,Guerciotti EM-2, Cervelo P-3.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in a bad funk today, then I read your story. Even though it is a tragedy, that you lost your mother and brother to this dreadful disease, the love that you shown to your brother and mom, and the generosity of Rad and Mariner Fans brought back my level of faith in humanity.

Thank you for sharing this story.

My codolences on your loss.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.