Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Question about points, more than one in a day?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-14, 06:28 AM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Bikes: Pinarello F8, Bianchi ∞, Colnago SS, Niner MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys. I'm trying to knock out my 10 Cat-5 races to get into Cat-4 but I have a couple of questions.

1. Do my points from Road Racing season carry into Cyclocross season and vice-versa?
example: I have 4 out of 10 Cat-5 Road Races completed. If I compete in 6 CX races, will I be at Cat-4, or will I be at Cat-5 in road racing AND cyclocross?

2. Next question. If an event has two separate races that I can sign up for on a same day, will those races count for 2 out of the 10? Or would riding in both races count as a single point?
example: There's a 9 o'clock race for Cat-4/5 and another race for Cat-3/4/5 at 1:00

Thank you for clarification.
Old 09-02-14, 06:40 AM
YMCA
starting pistol means war

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) you'll still be a cat5
2) every race counts, do two a day and the misery will be over quickly
Old 09-02-14, 06:52 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cross and road are completely separate. You can be a cat 1 road and cat 5 CX.

Multiple races in the same day count just the same as if they were on separate days, for any upgrade.
Old 09-02-14, 06:59 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
I can't find the exact language, but I think there is a new rule that says you cannot be more than two categories different in disciplines. Meaning a Cat 1 on the road would automatically be a Cat 3 in cross without ever doing a cross race.
Old 09-02-14, 07:13 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I can't find the exact language, but I think there is a new rule that says you cannot be more than two categories different in disciplines. Meaning a Cat 1 on the road would automatically be a Cat 3 in cross without ever doing a cross race.
Sort of right, I didn't know that! Rule 1E6d says you can request a CX upgrade according to a table. Cat 1 road can upgrade to cat 1 CX, cat 2 road to cat 3 CX, cat 3 road to cat 4 CX.

Cat 4 road is still cat 5 CX, so it doesn't apply to the OP.
Old 09-02-14, 07:14 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 103 Posts

Multiple races in the same day count just the same as if they were on separate days, for any upgrade.
CX points and Road points are different. You can look at your license and sort of see that. Track would be separate as well.

I was going to say that although CX and Road are two different parts of your license the categories will be similar. I'm a Cat 3 CX and I've never even entered a CX race. Or owned a CX bike. Etc.

A race is a race. If you finish two separate races on the same day you'll get a finish credit for each one.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 09-02-14, 07:21 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@shovelhd (maybe @carpediemracing too): a cat 5 teammate did one of the CCAP rider education clinics at my suggestion. It was raining that day so they didn't ride outside, they just did 3-4 hours of chalkboard work. (The teammate said it wasn't especially educational but that's neither here nor there).

According to 1E2c, clinics count as 3 races for 5->4 upgrades. I believe this was a USAC approved clinic, do you know if there are requirements for road time etc, or would it still count as 3 races even though it was all chalkboard time?
Old 09-02-14, 07:28 AM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the information guys : )! This helped a ton! This will mean lots of racing in both RR and CX season!
Old 09-02-14, 08:01 AM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also noticed the Cat RD:05 TK:05 CX:05 on the license. Thank you : )!
Old 09-02-14, 08:07 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 103 Posts
@shovelhd (maybe @carpediemracing too): a cat 5 teammate did one of the CCAP rider education clinics at my suggestion. It was raining that day so they didn't ride outside, they just did 3-4 hours of chalkboard work. (The teammate said it wasn't especially educational but that's neither here nor there).

According to 1E2c, clinics count as 3 races for 5->4 upgrades. I believe this was a USAC approved clinic, do you know if there are requirements for road time etc, or would it still count as 3 races even though it was all chalkboard time?
No idea on how it works.

I asked about the Bethel clinics, like if someone did all seven would it count for something (depending on the weather the clinics would total about 210 minutes riding and maybe 70 minutes chalk talk). No answer. Also asked about what would constitute an approved clinic, meaning if I was missing particular aspects (I dunno, like if you can mix RR and CX points, etc) and also got no answer.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 09-02-14, 03:29 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not any clinic, an approved clinic. Ask Aidan. I don't think his clinics are approved for upgrades but if they were he would know.
Old 09-02-14, 03:38 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Not any clinic, an approved clinic. Ask Aidan. I don't think his clinics are approved for upgrades but if they were he would know.
Sorry, I meant CCNS. Says here it counts for an upgrade: https://www.bikereg.com/23204

As for whether it still counts even though they got partly rained out, well, I guess my teammate will find out!
Old 09-02-14, 03:47 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It should count no matter what as long as it was approved.
Old 09-02-14, 06:03 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Now of course the question is will doing 3/4/5 be useful. Are you strong enough to hang on, or will you be shelled off the back. At which point it becomes a training ride. Sure it might count towards an upgrade, but will it be a valuable learning experience. The requirement is there not just as an obstacle to get over, but to hopefully provide a learning experience.
Old 09-02-14, 10:26 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
^^ sorry, but vomit

go race, OP. as much as you can, against the hardest competition they will let you.

Turns out you only get better by practicing.
Old 09-03-14, 08:27 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
I agree with Fudgy. If the OP is getting shelled, it's likely the official would pull him anyway, meaning he wouldn't finish and therefore would not be able to count they race toward his upgrade. The second race is usually cheap so he might as well go for it and see what happens.
Old 09-03-14, 08:40 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Fudgy. If the OP is getting shelled, it's likely the official would pull him anyway, meaning he wouldn't finish and therefore would not be able to count they race toward his upgrade. The second race is usually cheap so he might as well go for it and see what happens.
If I were the CJ, if the course was technical and he was a danger to the field (about to be lapped before a prime or finish) I would P&P him so he would get his finish.
Old 09-03-14, 10:37 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I speak as a guy that raced like 15 times/year in years 1 & 2 and now 40+ in year 3. All the times I was "waiting for my fitness to be just right" or "waiting for the perfect course" were just bull****.

I'd have been better off doing the stuff I was bad at from the start rather than waiting to do my first few crits against 1s and 2s who had years more experience than I. Much better, in hindsight, to just go race everything through the various levels 5>4>3>2 as you work your way through them.

I remember a guy, his sig was "racing is my training." He was wise.
Old 09-03-14, 01:21 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
^^ sorry, but vomit

go race, OP. as much as you can, against the hardest competition they will let you.

Turns out you only get better by practicing.
You missed my point.

I speak as a guy that raced like 15 times/year in years 1 & 2 and now 40+ in year 3. All the times I was "waiting for my fitness to be just right" or "waiting for the perfect course" were just bull****.

I'd have been better off doing the stuff I was bad at from the start rather than waiting to do my first few crits against 1s and 2s who had years more experience than I. Much better, in hindsight, to just go race everything through the various levels 5>4>3>2 as you work your way through them.

Yes.
Old 09-05-14, 11:10 AM
YMCA
starting pistol means war

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that would have been everyone prior to Lance's first Tour victory
Old 09-05-14, 12:08 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
If I were the CJ, if the course was technical and he was a danger to the field (about to be lapped before a prime or finish) I would P&P him so he would get his finish.
This is the norm here.