Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Trike : Slow?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Trike : Slow?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-14, 10:20 AM
Trikin'

Bikes: Catrike Trail/Catrike Expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
It's about the journey, not how fast you got there. I ride a trike for the comfort, not interested in high speeds anymore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
8091271572_c20a5949a8.jpg (55.1 KB, 18 views)
LAVA TRIKE 2.jpg (99.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-28-14, 06:30 PM
ancient11

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have always been perplexed with this obsession with speed. When I am really flying – hair straight back –hmmmmmmmm maybe 2 miles an hour. I like to stop and smell the roses, take a break in that shady spot, stop again and just watch the stream flow by. Hey, when you get in your late 80s and have COPD – dragging two oxygen tanks around, you learn to appreciate life and all that is around you. You realize that speed means absolutely nothing.
Old 07-29-14, 06:34 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
When you add a velomobile body, it becomes something else. Not a standard trike anymore. Of course, the price goes up 3x or 4x. Here's a Quest in action:

https://vid38.photobucket.com/albums/e135/blazingpedals/Bike%20Rides/Dalmac%202012/day4ridingthroughClarion.mp4 Speed DOES matter, because the ability to go faster with the same amount of energy implies the ability to go the same speed with LESS energy. Nobody wants to work harder to go slower; otherwise we'd all be riding around on gaspipe cruisers from out of the '50s.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 07-29-14 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-29-14, 08:14 AM
delcrossv

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Speed DOES matter, because the ability to go faster with the same amount of energy implies the ability to go the same speed with LESS energy.
Nobody wants to work harder to go slower; otherwise we'd all be riding around on gaspipe cruisers from out of the '50s.

Bingo. +1,000,000
Old 07-29-14, 10:36 AM
Bob Shaver

Bikes: Catrike Speed tadpole trike, Rans F5 recumbent, 1973 Motobecane Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have not ridden a Windcheetah, but I have a Catrike Speed tadpole trike with a front bubble, mostly to keep me warmer in winter, and ceramic bearings all around (yes, I"m a believer). I can cruise at 18-20 on the flat, have hit 49 mph on downhills, but its pretty darn slow uphill. I also have a 2 wheel bent, a Rans F5, and for longer mileage rides or group rides, I take the 2 wheeler. On the uphills, a few people pass me, but I generally pass them on the downhill and I can hold my own with most DFs on the flats. I'm 64, diabetic, clean shaven, 5'9" 185 pounds (not much aerobelly) a fair athlete, but I'm not training for racing. With the 2 wheeler, I don't finish a group ride with the other 64 year olds, I finish with the 30 year olds. But for comfort, stop and go, and commuting, I take the trike without question. Its more fun.

On the trike, I love to pass DFs, and if the road is even slightly downhill, like imperceptibly downhill, goodbye, I'm gone. If its rolling, that can work to my advantage. Its is a long uphill, I'm pretty damn slow on a trike. The thing is, bents have a different performance curve than DFs. Its not really practical to ride with a group of DFs if you are on a trike, you are either slower or faster than them all the time. A high racer 2 wheel bent is more similar to DFs on flats and downhills, and speed uphill totally depends on the rider. They can be faster than DFs, but are in the same ball park speed wise as a DF. Trikes are not in the same ball park as a DF when going uphill.
Old 08-18-14, 05:23 PM
Bobcat22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first post and I thought I would chime in on the relative speed of a trike vs DF.

#t=71
Old 08-18-14, 08:43 PM
Bizman

Bikes: 2014 Carbon Quest XS (Velomobile), 2014 Catrike Road (Trike), 2013 Easy Motion Max 700+ PCS (E-bike), 2011 Lynskey R340 (Road), 2011 Surly Moonlander (Fatty), 2010 Santa Cruise Tallboy (Full Suspension)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobcat22
My first post and I thought I would chime in on the relative speed of a trike vs DF.

#t=71
Inspiring video thanks for sharing! What kind of trike are you riding? A tadpole, or Delta, brand, model? I just got my Catrike Road last week so I am still getting my legs in shape. Right now I am slower than I was on my DF bikes but I do feel in time I will be atleaat as fast as I was on the DF. It feels like I am not that much slower on the trike when riding it, but my times are saying different on my 12.5 mile commute, about 10 or so minutes slower. Going up hills I feel are a slow point for me along with sharp turns (rolled it already), intersections, starting from a stop. On the down hills and flats it moves right along!
Old 08-18-14, 08:50 PM
delcrossv

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Welcome! Actually it was a Rans stickbike, but the point's well taken.
Old 08-19-14, 12:43 AM
Bobcat22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the welcome.

Bizman - you said you rolled your trike, did you try displacing your weight as to help compensate? Did you get hurt on that roll?

I just acquired an ICE QNT (2006) with all 20 inch wheels. I am methodically replacing and upgrading. The bike runs nicely.

Started a new thread describing the Upgrades and Mods. ref: https://www.bikeforums.net/recumbent/...ke-2006-a.html
Attached Images
ICE Qnt.jpg (31.7 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Bobcat22; 08-19-14 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-19-14, 08:54 PM
Bizman

Bikes: 2014 Carbon Quest XS (Velomobile), 2014 Catrike Road (Trike), 2013 Easy Motion Max 700+ PCS (E-bike), 2011 Lynskey R340 (Road), 2011 Surly Moonlander (Fatty), 2010 Santa Cruise Tallboy (Full Suspension)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Thank you for the welcome.

Bizman - you said you rolled your trike, did you try displacing your weight as to help compensate? Did you get hurt on that roll?

I just acquired an ICE QNT (2006) with all 20 inch wheels. I am methodically replacing and upgrading. The bike runs nicely.

Started a new thread describing the Upgrades and Mods. ref: https://www.bikeforums.net/recumbent/...ke-2006-a.html
Bobcat, yeah I rolled my trike on my daily commute (2nd ride) and yes I did shift my weight, just not enough as I was gong to fast for the type of turn. I was coming up to a "T" intersection, it's a back road, 2:00 am, no cars around at that hour, making a left hand turn up hill (off camber),I felt the left wheel lift and before I knew it I was sliding across the payment on to the germ and landed in a hedge row. I scraped up my right arm (road rash) and fortunately on ly scraped the right front center cap on the trike. I was lucky and learned very quickly mainly to slow down and lean even more on turns.

I am running 26" wheels, Allfine 11 rear IGH, Schlumpf high speed drive. I am enjoying it allot. As people say ars tend to go way out around me giving me more space than a DF bike. No sore back, wrists, not that tired, just a great new experience. This trike is getting me ready for my Carbon Quest XS due in November.

Was that you on your trike in that video or was that a Rans Stickbike as delcrossv said? If that was on your trike or even a Rans that was impressive!

Also here is a link to my trike https://www.utahtrikes.com/RECENTTRIK...sionTrike.html

Last edited by Bizman; 08-19-14 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Wanted to add link to trike
Old 08-20-14, 12:46 AM
Bobcat22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great you did not hurt yourself greater. That video is not me - however it and the Velomobiles motivated me to go trike. I am lucky to have an - correction "amateur shop" where I can modify or create solutions.

Last edited by Bobcat22; 08-20-14 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-20-14, 06:31 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

I am lucky to have an armature shop where I can modify or create solutions.
Does this tie into the "there, they're, their" thread on the 50+ forum, or does the shop really make electric motors?
Old 08-20-14, 07:58 AM
delcrossv

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Does this tie into the "there, they're, their" thread on the 50+ forum, or does the shop really make electric motors?
Or the spindles that CF fiber is wound on. In CF mast making the "plug" is called an "armature"
Old 08-20-14, 10:33 AM
Bobcat22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My mistake, meant to write amateur shop and not armature.

About Mid Drive Motor: The Bafang motor is made in China and is a top quality product. The BBSO series of crank drives (mid drives) are among the quietest and reliable in the industry. However there are distribution concerns. product link:
https://www.tnabattery-ebike.com/?Bafang-motor-c621.html

"Does this tie into the "there, they're, their" thread on the 50+ forum, . . ." Unfortunately I do not understand the question.

Last edited by Bobcat22; 08-20-14 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-20-14, 12:04 PM
BlazingPedals

"Does this tie into the "there, they're, their" thread on the 50+ forum, . . ." Unfortunately I do not understand the question.
Refers to a thread in 50+ about misspellings and homophones.
https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...ere-their.html