Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

New Rear derailleur for Dahon Stowaway V

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 07-21-17, 03:45 AM
yelworc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello!

I have Dahon Getaway V (late 80s) with Shimano Tourney. I would like to replace this derailleur with something newer
Any ideas?
dahon.jpg

dahon1.jpg

Last edited by yelworc; 07-21-17 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-21-17, 03:36 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 185 Posts
It's got to be a claw rear derailleur, as that's the type you're replacing.

Something like this Shimano Tourney TZ50 would probably work:

https://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...lleur-w-hanger
Old 07-21-17, 04:18 PM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There are not many derailleurs made that have the hanger built in. Generally only the entry level models.
Old 07-21-17, 04:23 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
It's got to be a claw rear derailleur, as that's the type you're replacing.

Something like this Shimano Tourney TZ50 would probably work:

https://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...lleur-w-hanger
$8.84... that's literally cheaper than dirt.

Last edited by smallwheeler; 07-21-17 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-21-17, 04:54 PM
bargainguy

Originally Posted by smallwheeler
$8.84... that's literally cheaper than dirt.
Niagara actually had cheaper claw derailleurs available, but from SunRace and Falcon. I think the Shimano is probably a better bet here.
Old 07-21-17, 05:13 PM
smallwheeler

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Niagara actually had cheaper claw derailleurs available, but from SunRace and Falcon. I think the Shimano is probably a better bet here.
it will probably work just fine.

when i see these old dahon space frame bikes i just want to strip them and rebuild with modern components.
Old 07-22-17, 02:01 AM
yelworc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for replies!

Which derailleur with hanger built in should I choose? Can I choose derailleur without built in hanger?

And what shifter will be good for it?
Old 07-22-17, 02:34 AM
tudorowen1

Bikes: Brompton S6L ,Bike Friday NWT, Phillips 8 speed folder, Trek 930, Thorn XTC

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
You used to be able to buy just the claw part of the derailleur so that you can fit a good quality bolt on derailleur..I am sure looking at a few websites would track one down..Try SJSCycles, SPA cycles, Practical Cycles..all in the UK..Perhaps ThorUSA can help ?

https://practicalcycles.com/products/...nger-boss.aspx

Last edited by tudorowen1; 07-22-17 at 02:42 AM.
Old 07-22-17, 06:33 AM
badmother

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The one on the bike is short cage and pointing forwards. The suggested RD is medium or long cage and there are no indication it is going to point forwards when in use. You could end up with a der that is touching the ground..
Old 07-22-17, 08:19 AM
yelworc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, can you give an example of the RD with short cage and pointing forwards?
Old 07-22-17, 08:57 AM
HighValleyRanch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, can you give an example of the RD with short cage and pointing forwards?
Being spring loaded, the derailleurs position is determined by the take up in the chain. In the first photo, the combination is the large chainring with the rear largest cog. So of course the derailleur will be in the forward position. This is also determined by the adjustment of the length of the chain given the cog/crank combinations and length of chainstay i.e. distance from crank spindle to rear axle length.
Old 07-22-17, 10:26 AM
tudorowen1

Bikes: Brompton S6L ,Bike Friday NWT, Phillips 8 speed folder, Trek 930, Thorn XTC

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Generally it would be true to say you need a short cage derailleur with 16 inch wheels..If you have a long one it is more likely to catch the floor..
Old 07-22-17, 11:39 AM
bargainguy

Ah, good point about needing a short cage, badmother & tudorowen1. Here's one from Niagara that might work:

https://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...6-7s-w-brkt-bk
Old 07-22-17, 01:55 PM
tudorowen1

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
These look a low quality rear derailleur..I gave you one solution..Here is another..Go to SJScycles website and order one of these..
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spa...anger-bracket/
They have 2 other alternatives..
SJScycles will ship worldwide really quickly..They are a first class bicycle supply company..amongst the best in the world..This component will just cost a few dollars..and then you can go to your local bike shop and choose any good quality short cage derailleur you want.It will simply bolt onto this component..
The chances are if you go to a decent local bike shop they will have this type of thing in stock anyway..
Once you have this shimano gear hanger you can fit any one of a hundred rear derailleurs on the market..It's a NO Brainer!
Old 07-22-17, 05:11 PM
badmother

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What about converting it to IGH? I had a bike like this and it was a 3 speed SA. It would be possible to get hold of a SA 5 speed too. I have one on my brompton and like it a lot.

Dahon Classic III 1988 folding bicycle Bootiebike

Anybody out there have the link to that Asian site with all the old Dahons?
Old 07-22-17, 05:25 PM
yelworc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok guys, thanks for replies! Can you give an example of the good quality RD with short cage?
Old 07-22-17, 05:37 PM
yelworc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badmother
What about converting it to IGH? I had a bike like this and it was a 3 speed SA.
It's a good idea, but are the frame and wheel suitable for this? and what about brakes? I have rear drum brakes. Are the frames of the dahon III and V similar? Is there any instrucrion of the instulling IGH to the Dahon V?
Old 07-22-17, 06:15 PM
bargainguy

Originally Posted by yelworc
Ok guys, thanks for replies! Can you give an example of the good quality RD with short cage?
Well, here's the thing. Good quality and claw rear derailleur don't always go together.

So you really have a couple options. Either get a claw adapter and run any kind of short cage rear derailleur you want as tudorowen1 suggested, or just get a short cage claw rear derailleur of any sort and call it a day.

Just curious, why are you replacing the rear derailleur? Is it not working correctly or damaged? There might be a simple fix (adjust cable tension, new derailleur cable and housing, for ex.) that would allow you to keep your present rear derailleur with a minimum of fuss.
Old 07-23-17, 01:51 AM
yelworc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, here's the thing. Good quality and claw rear derailleur don't always go together.

So you really have a couple options. Either get a claw adapter and run any kind of short cage rear derailleur you want as tudorowen1 suggested, or just get a short cage claw rear derailleur of any sort and call it a day.

Just curious, why are you replacing the rear derailleur? Is it not working correctly or damaged? There might be a simple fix (adjust cable tension, new derailleur cable and housing, for ex.) that would allow you to keep your present rear derailleur with a minimum of fuss.
The rear derailleur is generally ok, but it does not switch clearly, although I adjusted it up. I think the point is in the shifter that is not index.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (99.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg
2.jpg (98.1 KB, 79 views)
Old 07-23-17, 06:31 AM
bargainguy

You have a 5 speed rear cluster, correct? I don't believe there was an indexed / click-shifting 5 speed around then, but fairly certain you can get an indexed 5-speed twist shifter now.

Here's a way to check whether the problem is in the shifter or somewhere else. Use the shifter to put the chain on the smallest rear sprocket. If there is a run of exposed shift cable (not within housing) anywhere from the shifter to the rear derailleur, grab a handful of exposed shift cable and pull it away from the frame tubing, thereby mimicking shifting action by pulling sideways on the exposed cable. You should be able to "shift" into each gear by changing the distance you pull the cable away from the frame.

If you can shift into each gear this way but not with the shifter, then the problem is in the shifter. If you can't shift into each gear this way, the problem is something else.

My first thought is that if it's not the shifter, it's a worn / slack chain. There is a simple tool (Park Tool Chain Checker) which measures chain slack. A bike shop should have one if you don't. If your chain is worn, it'll never shift cleanly. If your bike has a few thousand miles versus a few hundred, the chain will most likely be worn and slack.

Reason I mention all this - I'd hate to see you replace parts that don't necessarily need replacing, and not replace parts (worn chain, for ex.) that definitely need replacing.
Old 07-23-17, 07:49 AM
yelworc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I have 5 speed cluster with non-indexed shifter.
Generally, the shifting is not bad but not as smooth as I want it to be. And I would like to have click-shifting. Thats why I want to replase RD and shifter. But I don't think that new cheep entry level models will be better than my old one.
Old 07-23-17, 09:21 AM
badmother

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by yelworc
It's a good idea, but are the frame and wheel suitable for this? and what about brakes? I have rear drum brakes. Are the frames of the dahon III and V similar? Is there any instrucrion of the instulling IGH to the Dahon V?
First thing is to measure the distance between the dropouts in the rear fork, that is the space available for a different hub.

It is a steel bike so you can adjust it but since the chainstays are short a cold setting is not going to give you a lot of adjustment.

Then look at hubs. Do you have a hub (IGH) or do you want to buy one. New or used?

To see what is available I`d go to the SA site: https://issuu.com/francescoscomazzon...gue-2016-2017_

Even if you want to buy a second hand hub it is a good place to see what is actually available.

some of us grew up with coaster brakes so if you can use that and there is space in the frame problem solved.

Therer are some hubs with roller brakes and such but I am not sure if there is space in your frame.

We need a picture of your frame where a caliper brake would normally go to know if it is possible to install caliper brakes.

You need a hub with a spoke count that`l match the rim you have- or one you buy. Your curent rim may not agree with rim braking.

Depending on where you live it may be possible to buy a complete wheel.

https://no.search.yahoo.com/search?f...verting+to+IGH

Edit: If you scroll down there is a red bike laying on its side with a caliper brake atatched to the chainstay bridge.

Last edited by badmother; 07-23-17 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-23-17, 12:45 PM
2wheeldeal
Goldmember

Bikes: Trek Multitrack 750, Dahon Classic

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since you're dealing with a Chinese made product from the 80's or early 90's, you might try current Chinese products:

https://www.aliexpress.com/category/...58,2-201487410

I have an original Dahon with the Sturmey-Archer 3-speed, and I prefer it. Some of the other suppliers offer complete wheels, like Litepro.
Old 07-23-17, 03:39 PM
badmother

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Plenty pictures here. 10 speed (5 gear IGH x 2) and 8 speed IGH.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/number...57606937764955
Old 07-24-17, 02:57 AM
yelworc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2wheeldeal
Since you're dealing with a Chinese made product from the 80's or early 90's
My Dahon V is also original and was made in Taiwan (like your original Dahon with the Sturmey-Archer 3-speed)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.