Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My 1986 Schwinn Passage

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My 1986 Schwinn Passage

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-18, 08:10 PM
Rotten

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1986 Schwinn Passage, 1987 Shogun Katana, 2018 Giant Anyroad Advanced, 2013 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 93 Posts
Added a link to the original post of a flickr album I put together today.

It has some better pics of the bike as well as some closeups of my poor attempt at lug lining. Also in the album is the new to me front rack I picked up from @zammykoo, the rack is torqued a little towards the drive side but I have enough clearance to not worry about it and will get one of the guys at work to hang onto the bars/fork while I try to center it better when I get a chance.

I made a separate thread about the seatpost constantly slipping down and am still working that out but while going through the parts box I came across a binder bolt and am hoping that it does the trick, I'll find out tomorrow on my morning ride.

The one definite thing I know is that I need to get the stem up a little bit. Probably going to flip the current 17 degree stem and see how that feels before I spend more on another stem.
Old 05-28-18, 10:14 AM
zammykoo

Bikes: Trek 510, Dahon Classic III, Specialized Tricross, Raleigh Technium 460

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
@Rotten, looks like a very nice build! Sorry about the rack, I didn't notice any misalignments while it was mounted on my bike. I hope it is not too much trouble to straighten out!

I can't seem to access the photo gallery via the link. Do you have another link to try?
Old 05-28-18, 10:52 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Ertsthomas
Not sure do you know what size/kind of bb it took. I need to order a new one either it broke or the crank did today?
Are you the guy from Tacoma that bought the Passage? Sorry to hear you have had issues, the BB is original to the bike, I don't recall measuring it but typically a triple would take a 118 mm spindle bb, good article on bottom brackets by Sheldon Brown and by Velo Orange
Old 05-28-18, 11:45 AM
Rotten

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1986 Schwinn Passage, 1987 Shogun Katana, 2018 Giant Anyroad Advanced, 2013 Karate Monkey

Originally Posted by zammykoo
@Rotten, looks like a very nice build! Sorry about the rack, I didn't notice any misalignments while it was mounted on my bike. I hope it is not too much trouble to straighten out!

I can't seem to access the photo gallery via the link. Do you have another link to try?
Absolutely no problem about the rack, there's enough clearance to ride it. And anyway I'd guess it's about 40 years old. I couldn't be happier and I'll get it straightened out no problem.

I couldn't get the flickr link to work so I linked up to an imgur album, less organized and there are some duplicate pics.
Old 05-28-18, 11:50 AM
Rotten

Originally Posted by ryansu
Lovely Passage, great looking build. I bought an 86 Passage in 2016 that I built up in 2017 and really loved the ride. I ended up selling it last month but that just gave me an excuse to buy another mid 80s tourer to tinker with (1987 Nishiki Cresta GT) Enjoy your Passage.
Thanks @ryansu, I read every blog post you made about your Passage and really enjoyed it. Hope the new owner appreciates the work you put into it.
Old 05-28-18, 12:09 PM
Rotten

Well apparently I missed some comments, Excuse my jumbled responses.

Originally Posted by cooperryder
Greetings fellow Texan and Passage rider.

Very nice job on your Passage!
I hope you enjoy many many great rides on it.

I had a 84 Voyageur for several years and really liked it even though it was a bit too tall
so it moved to a new owner.

From this forum I learned about the Passage model.

Now a 23" Passage has also joined my stable as well.

I am most impressed with the quality of ride and am enjoying it equal to my old Voyageur.

Mine is sporting Vittoria Voyager Hyper tires in a 700x38 that measure right at 40mm on Dyad rims.

Mine only has a few original parts left on it, the canti's and Sachs downtube shifters
plus the original cable hangers with the small wheel.

However, being an old fellow I prefer a more upright position and the original shifters are mounted on Paul thumbies on Soma Oxford bars. I think they look really great there.

Definitely a sleeper and quality touring bike imho.

I tried both the Tektro 720 and the nice TRP Euro-X canti's but neither would fit.

I understand why you sent yours to be modified.
I like this bike well enough perhaps I should consider such a modification.
It's definitely a keeper for me.

With a lot of fiddling I got the original Canti's to work pretty dang well.

I would think what one gives up and weight to the Voyageur on the fork is minimal.

Enjoy your Passage.
Thank you very much. Up to a few hundred miles worth of riding on it so far and it is definitely a dream to ride.
Great to hear of someone running 38mm tires I assume since they actually measure 40mm that your running the axle as far back as possible. I've been seriously considering trying some 38mm's but couldn't find any examples so that is extremely helpful.
I sent it to gugie to fix the top tube cable guides and reset the brake post position and can't say enough good about gugies work. The original top tube cable guides are pretty fragile and if you do have work done I strongly recommend that you go ahead and get them replaced with sturdier barrel type.

Not sure do you know what size/kind of bb it took. I need to order a new one either it broke or the crank did today?
Sorry it's taken so long to reply apparently my browser wasn't refreshing correctly. I still have the original bottom bracket (sadly the bearing surfaces are pitted). I'll dig it out, measure it and let you know ASAP.
Old 05-28-18, 12:13 PM
Rotten

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
tenax schwinns are the bomb. yours is exceptional.
Thank you very much. Your posts about your bikes are always interesting and often inspirational.
Before the Passage the only steel I rode were versions of 4130 (which is fine steel) but you are absolutely right Tenax is the bomb. Wish I could find a 23" Tenax road bike to go with my Passage.
Old 05-28-18, 12:32 PM
Rotten

The original bottom bracket spindle from my bike is 125mm not including the threads for the crank arms so 125 is what you want to get close to. The spindle is marked "3 S", E 11", "B".
f it were me I would pick up one of the Shimano sealed UN26 or UN55 bottom brackets as close to the original spindle length as possible, I have replaced many caged bearing BB's with the sealed Shimano units and haven't had any issues.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-28-18, 01:38 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Rotten
Thank you very much. Your posts about your bikes are always interesting and often inspirational.
Before the Passage the only steel I rode were versions of 4130 (which is fine steel) but you are absolutely right Tenax is the bomb. Wish I could find a 23" Tenax road bike to go with my Passage.
i feel like i should give you a dollar or something.
Old 05-28-18, 01:47 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
The original bottom bracket spindle from my bike is 125mm not including the threads for the crank arms so 125 is what you want to get close to. The spindle is marked "3 S", E 11", "B".
f it were me I would pick up one of the Shimano sealed UN26 or UN55 bottom brackets as close to the original spindle length as possible, I have replaced many caged bearing BB's with the sealed Shimano units and haven't had any issues.

Hope that helps.
Keep in mind, the spindle length is dependent upon the model of crank. Where you can get away with a 122 on a Sugino AT Triple, a Takagi Tourney XT triple needs at least 127.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 05-28-18, 04:23 PM
Rotten

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
i feel like i should give you a dollar or something.
PM with address incoming.
Old 05-28-18, 04:42 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Thanks @ryansu, I read every blog post you made about your Passage and really enjoyed it. Hope the new owner appreciates the work you put into it.
Thanks @Rotten! I appreciate that hope you found them helpful
Old 05-29-18, 07:55 PM
zammykoo

Bikes: Trek 510, Dahon Classic III, Specialized Tricross, Raleigh Technium 460

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Absolutely no problem about the rack, there's enough clearance to ride it. And anyway I'd guess it's about 40 years old. I couldn't be happier and I'll get it straightened out no problem.

I couldn't get the flickr link to work so I linked up to an imgur album, less organized and there are some duplicate pics.
Thanks for fixing the link. The bike looks awesome. I'm glad everything worked out!
Old 10-11-19, 12:55 PM
madbikermike

Bikes: 86' Schwinn Passage, 2000 Schwinn Moab, 2000 Rocky MTN Thin Air, 2009 Fuji Cross Comp, 2009 Fezzari CR3, 2015 Lapierre Zesty 429

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where did you have "the canti mounts widened and aligned to work better with 700 wheels, added lowrider rack mounts to the fork, and an alignment check and adjustment. Plus he had it powder coated for me." I've got a passage that is rusty and i'm sick and tired of 27 1/4 crappy old wheels and weighing my options to convert it to 700. Has anybody found a way to convert it to 700c without moving the brake bosses?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-11-19, 01:17 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by madbikermike
Where did you have "the canti mounts widened and aligned to work better with 700 wheels, added lowrider rack mounts to the fork, and an alignment check and adjustment. Plus he had it powder coated for me." I've got a passage that is rusty and i'm sick and tired of 27 1/4 crappy old wheels and weighing my options to convert it to 700. Has anybody found a way to convert it to 700c without moving the brake bosses?

Thanks,
Mike
Different brakes.

New canti brakes don’t have the adjustability that the old ones did- back when there was no real standard for canti placement.

People have had good luck with Shimano M732, BR MC-70, MT-60 and MT-62. I’ve personally used the MT-62s and Suntour XC Pros. I don’t recall I’d he stock DC 981s have enough adjustability.

There’s many discussions here about 27 to 700c canti brake conversions- read a few of those.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-11-19, 02:46 PM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,504 Times in 409 Posts
According to the 1986 catalog the Voyageur had the Dia Compe 981 canti's and the Passage had Dia Compe 960's.

I'm running 700c on my 86 Passage with the original 960's with no problem.

​​​​With new pads it actually stops very well for me.

Likes For cooperryder:
Old 10-12-19, 04:44 PM
rbickford

Bikes: Heron

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very nice!
Old 08-09-20, 08:42 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 87 Posts
Info

I have a long story on my passage purchase.
I will try to be brief. I have been looking for a vintage touring bike. I found a Schwinn Voyageur about 50 miles away and bought it. I really didn't test drive and it had updated components, wheels, bar e d shifters etc. Paid 250 and was happy. When I got home I test road it and found out had serious toe overlap??? How can that be on a touring bike??
it was the champion tubed one , not Columbus.
So now I dont like it so put it up for sale. I stumble across a Schwinn Passage on market place and go look at it >>>> no toe over lap , but old components, but frame is actually very good, minimal use it looks like. I purchase that , come home and realize everything should swap over to the passage , so now I can have a vintage touring bike and pick out racks etc. ,, yeah yay, I'm a happy guy again 🙂😎
ps , another strange thing is the the newer 700c wheels with wide tires fit and brakes line up perfectly 👍

Last edited by rossiny; 08-10-20 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-09-20, 08:48 PM
rossiny

So haven't been on bf in a little while. It's been to cold to ride and between work and my other hobbies that tend to kick in when I can't ride I just haven't been here much.

Anyway during the down time I slowly got my 1986 Schwinn Passage built up.

A couple of thank yous are in order. first to @abshipp for the deal on the bike, he took the time to answer all my questions and shot a ton of pictures and a video to help me finally decide. He's a credit to the forum. Secondly to @gugie, what can I really say, if you've dealt with gugie then you know how great he is to deal with. Gugies patience with me and all my emails was truly commendable, when necessary he took the time to both explain and enlighten courteously. Personally I believe he is one of if not the greatest asset to the C&V forums here.

And I have to say a huge thank you to my girlfriend also who as a birthday present to me paid for the shipping and work that I had gugie do. Love you.

Since I can't get the nice album I made on flickr to work here's an imgur album link - https://imgur.com/a/lfzGv

So without further delay here's the pic.

I have to say that the ride is very smooth over all but the roughest of roads. The combination of the geometry and the Columbus Tenax frame give this bike a ride quality that is outstanding. Especially for a clydesdale like me.

I had intended to leave the bike relatively stock but quickly realized that downtube shifters were not for me. The brakes needed new pads and when I got it up on the stand to work on the brakes the narrowness of the cantilever mounts made adjustments difficult and make swapping to 700 wheels a chore to say the least. While it was on the stand I pulled the old cables and housing and found that one of the top tube guides was severely bent. My attempts to straighten the guide resulted in one side of it breaking loose. This is the point where gugie came to mind. I wasnt about to try my hand at a repair and after thinking about it decided that the canti mounts had to be moved as well.

So I sent the frame and fork off and had gugie replace the top tube guides with sturdier barrel type, had the canti mounts widened and aligned to work better with 700 wheels, added lowrider rack mounts to the fork, and an alignment check and adjustment. Plus he had it powder coated for me.

When I got it back it sat for a couple of months while I thought about the build. The final direction was dictated by both convenience index shifting and the winds where I ride. In the Texas panhandle riding into a headwind can be extremely brutal and I wanted low enough gearing to allow me to not have to walk the bike and index shifting via brifters to allow me to keep both hands on the bars at all times.

A brief rundown on the build.
Sora 3x9 brifters
Tiagra fd
Nashbar/Microshift rd - great rd by the way
Deore 48/36/26 crankset - really wish it was a 48/38/28
Shimano 11-34 9 spd cassette
Deore LX brakes
Kool Stop Cross pads
Jagwire gold braided housing
VO quill and stem
Nitto noodle bars
VO headset
Vuelta HD 700 wheelset
Brooks B17 - wish it was blue
Lizard Skin bar tape
And the original Blackburn rear rack
not pictured are a set of vintage Cannondale blue rear panniers

Future plans
gold lug lining to match the cables
Dark blue B17
front rack - probably Soma Lucas Mini 2
switch out the Sora shifters for Microshift 3x9 - I prefer the way the Microshift paddles over the thumb lever Sora upshifts
bulid a touring 9 speed cassette 13/15/17/19/21/23/26/30/34
front panniers to match the blue cannondale rear ones
and a gugieficazion (or however that's spelled) sticker if I ever find who posted those a while back

I have to say that since I finished the build and have been riding the Passage I have lost all desire for another bike. I have my Karate Monkey for offroad and fun rides with the kids and this one for commuting and extended solo rides. Plus I have my World Sport as a back up to the Passage. But if you're in or near the Texas panhandle and are interested in a really good 3x7 World Sport build we can talk.
awesome build. I just bought a grey Passage, will post pics.
Old 08-09-20, 08:59 PM
rossiny

Just found

Any info on this model woukd be appreciated.
Likes For rossiny:
Old 08-09-20, 09:24 PM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,504 Times in 409 Posts
That's the first gray Passage I've seen.
It looks to be in great shape!

I'm still enjoying mine after a bit over 2 years.
I think the only original parts left are the Canti's with new pads and the original DT shifters now mounted up top on Paul Thumbie mounts.

It still puts a smile on my face every ride.

Likes For cooperryder: