Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

19?? Bianchi Grizzly Mountainbike

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-21, 07:18 PM
fajir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
19?? Bianchi Grizzly Mountainbike

Hello,

I need help identifying a Bianchi Grizzly that I bought recently. I've been scouring the internet looking at old catalogs and reading other posts trying to figure out the exact year. My best guess right now is 1993. I have not been able to find any models of that year with the black and gold colored frame, and wondered if this is some sort of limited or special edition. Photo album is here: imgur(dot)com/a/sbROfxk Thanks in advance!

Frame:
  • Black and Gold
  • Seat tube length: 20"
  • Top tube length: 22"
  • Wheelbase: 42"
  • Chainstay length: 17"
  • Front center: 25"
  • Bottom bracket drop: 1.5"
  • Bottom bracket height: 11.5"
Wheels:
  • Wheels: 26", 36-hole front, 32-hole rear
  • Tires: 53-559 (26x1.95)
Features:
  • Gears: Shimano Deore (3x7)
  • Brakes: Shimano Alivio
  • Front Suspension: Rock Shox Judy XC
Misc:
  • "Campione Del Mondo" sticker, top part of down tube
  • "Project Habitat" sticker, bottom part of down tube
  • "Superlug Heat Treated Superset-2 Bianchi Exclusive" sticker, top part of seat tube
Old 04-11-21, 08:58 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,248 Times in 1,308 Posts
I think I remember seeing the ad for this bike. Unfortunately, it seems like a total parts bin build starting from an original frame and fork. All the XT stuff is gone! I'm guessing the Judy XC was OEM because I found a picture of a different Grizzly in these frame colors with one.
perhaps closer to stock -->

Anyways, if the fork is original, that means it's from 95 or 96.

Pic assist.

Old 04-12-21, 05:53 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Welcome to the forums. As noted the subject bicycle has been largely rebuilt, complicating identification. However, the presence of that style of CdM decal indicates it is no older than than the 1993 model year. I've seen this colour scheme on other Grizzly having a rigid, threaded fork, so the fork would appear to be a later addition and I suspect the bicycle is circa 1993-1995. In the mid-1990s, most of Bianchi ATBs were being built in Asia, in which case the serial number may allow us to determine the exact date of manufacture.
Old 04-12-21, 10:29 AM
fajir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello and thanks for the replies. I looked on the bottom of the frame and found the serial # "H3L009073".
Old 04-12-21, 01:51 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by fajir
Hello and thanks for the replies. I looked on the bottom of the frame and found the serial # "H3L009073".
Based on the serial number, it should be a 1994 model, manufactured in December 1993 by Hodaka of Taiwan.