Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

'97 Trofeo for parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-21, 07:15 PM
mooseinmass

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
'97 Trofeo for parts

Newbie here. Have a Bianchi Trofeo in celeste (pretty sure it's '97 but not 100% sure, decals appear to be different color), looking to figure out how much I can sell the bike altogether for parts, frame damaged...
Story is first ride in warm weather and my rear derailleur ended up in my spokes. Bent the hanger and rear dropout, was pedaling hard on fifth gear and I think debris from a construction site or poorly lubricated chain caused it..
The frame is semi-salvageable (quoted $140 to repair at frame builder), rear derailleur has broken b-screw mount so likely ruined. All other parts are original and in good good, working condition...
-Campagnolo groupset, believe to be Avanti but limited branding
- 8 speed gearset
-Campagnolo integrated levers/shifters
-Ambrosio Super Elite wheels

Can't post links yet, will share some after 10 posts!

Edited to add pictures here

Would appreciate any thoughts!!

Last edited by mooseinmass; 04-14-21 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-02-21, 08:11 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
Just NO IMHO. For A parts level bike you can do 3xbetter and you should be looking for a whole bike in your size considering your price range.
Old 04-02-21, 08:26 PM
mooseinmass

Originally Posted by zukahn1
Just NO IMHO. For A parts level bike you can do 3xbetter and you should be looking for a whole bike in your size considering your price range.
sorry, to clarify, I want to sell this but I don’t know how much I can get for it.

If this is wrong forum let me know!
Old 04-03-21, 01:55 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,589 Times in 3,779 Posts
Part it out.

Old 04-03-21, 03:03 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
I would agree on parting out you can likely get a $100-150 for the shift groups as is online here or ebay and $100-150 for the wheel complete set with tires scewers and cassette locally. Then just donate the rest to a local bike coop. This way the only tools involved will be a single allen wrench and a chain tool. This way you can likely get it done in just a a couple days bike gone money in your pocket.

Last edited by zukahn1; 04-03-21 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-14-21, 07:59 AM
mooseinmass

Originally Posted by zukahn1
I would agree on parting out you can likely get a $100-150 for the shift groups as is online here or ebay and $100-150 for the wheel complete set with tires scewers and cassette locally. Then just donate the rest to a local bike coop. This way the only tools involved will be a single allen wrench and a chain tool. This way you can likely get it done in just a a couple days bike gone money in your pocket.
Thanks for the idea.

Unfortunately the rear derailleur took some damage from the incident so wouldn't be able to sell that for much... When you say shift groups would that include the crankset? Assuming not but I think I might part it out this way as you suggested.

Finally hit 10 posts so here's pictures of it https://imgur.com/a/lG3lIj9
Old 04-14-21, 08:13 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I’d like to see a picture of that hanger. You may be able to fix the frame yourself or have a shop do it for less than 140.
Old 04-14-21, 08:37 AM
mooseinmass

Pictures below -

Hanger AND dropout are bent. It's forged steel so shop recommended a frame builder that could torch the area before bending back...

Frame builder wants $125 to do it, $100 if I can remove the cranks, bb, and chain myself.

I would also, however, need to replace an 8-speed campy derailleur and that seems to run ~$70-80. At that point, I need to ask myself would this bike be worth what I can get for parts + $180 invested back in?

Old 04-14-21, 09:26 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
There are several members here on BF that could fix that for you. If you were in ATL, I'd be willing to do it for you. I had what I believe is an equally bad bend on a Claud Butler I recently repaired.

I'm no expert but I disagree about applying heat to repair that. Just slow and steady work. But someone like a gugie could probably guide you better.

That said, I agree with the above. Part if out, everything, including the headset and complete BB. I reckon you can get at least $$250-350 + ship for everything including chain, being it all appears to be in "rider" condition. Then sell the frame & fork on CL for $60 bucks "needs repair". It's a good frame, Else if you can find a local BF'er with the tools to fix that, I expect you could pull $125-150 for the F&F after it's repaired.

Don't trash the rear mech. There are some harvestable parts on it still. If you're willing to pass it on, I'll gladly pay shipping. I'd love to pick it apart and save the little bits in case I or one of the other folks on BF need it. Ask around, you'll find a plethora of people who'll vouch for me sending them freebies (on my own dime many times) to help them out of a bind. I've also had others like Mad Honk do the same for me, BF C&V is good like that.