Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

set-and-forget camera , not 'invented' yet?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 04-15-21, 07:36 PM
freewheely

Bikes: 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've spend days in looking for a set-and-forget "dash" camera for a bicycle. I expected 10+ models from different brand to be available, but haven't found a single one.
So my question: Does it even exists??
With set-and-forget I mean: set and forget. Like every dash-cam in a car. So with these features:
  • waterproof , including when usb/power cable is plugged in
  • anti theft , even minimal where you need a tool (standard torx / screwdriver), a code or a key to detach..is fine
  • auto recording , and if not: a single button to (de)activate both the front and rear camera
  • auxiliary power , this could be a power bank, dynamo (with buffer), battery from e-bike (with usb-socket),...
These basics seem very trivial to me (apart from generating stabilized good quality video footage with readable license plates). Or am I really unrealistically demanding?
All the models I've found :
  • do not have a waterproof (usb-)connector (to charge),
  • are detached easily in seconds without any tool,
  • do not record automatically, not even power on/off automatically,
  • work only on a battery that lasts 6 hours at best.
But: They all have WiFi , which is completely unnecessary (at least for me).
Don't we want to put our time in other things than looking for a power socket to charge after each ride, put both camera's in our pockets at every stop and vice versa, unplug cable every time it begins to rain, to remember to power on each camera and start recording at every ride?

The Fly 6 (rear) and Fly 12 CE (front) from Cycliq look the most promising (despite having almost none of the mentioned features) but I read lots of bad reviews about water ingress, not recording anything at random times while it says it is recording, and on top of that: very bad / non-existing customer service.
I asked them if they've addressed these issues in their latest model (Gen 3 for Fly 6), but they don't even care to answer.. good start...
This cyclist is asking the same: Cycliq fly 6 gen3 (Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets)
Other topic about cameras: Anyone ride cameras? & Recommend front & rear camera (Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets) (i'm not allowed to post URLs yet)

A solution could be to use camera's for motorbikes. Downside: you have to tinker with a 12V --> 5 V converter , alter the mounts and find a place for the pretty large main unit. Most units also seem to record on max 1080p (or less), which may not be enough to capture license plate numbers.

Waterproof usb-sockets and plugs do exist. For the anti-theft: 3D-printed housing? A glued frame or plate with a steel wire which can be attached to a standard padlock could be a less elegant way to go.
If someone knows a DIY solution for (some of) these, please share! Or - even better - an out-of-the-box solution

Last edited by freewheely; 04-15-21 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-15-21, 08:37 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I've been satisfied with the Drift Ghost X, front and rear, for going on two years. Check my previous lengthy posts and YouTube reviews for the Ghost X and newer Drift video cameras.
Old 04-15-21, 09:35 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
The Drift Ghost XL seems to me to be the best option now.
  • ​​​​​​It's compact.
  • Has a long run time.
  • Can turn on multiple cameras at the same time (from one camera or a BT button).
  • Fairly flexible mounting options.
But it should have image stabilization.
And the battery should be replaceable (even if you have to take it apart).

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-22-21 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-22-21, 09:21 AM
freewheely

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks canklecat and njkayaker!

I remember I had a quick look at the Drift Ghost camera's but apparently overlooked those features.

The Drift Ghost XL has about all the features I need

Too bad they didn't applied the waterproof connectivity to the Ghost 4K(+), otherwise I'd gone for that.
Old 04-22-21, 09:25 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by freewheely
Too bad they didn't applied the waterproof connectivity to the Ghost 4K(+), otherwise I'd gone for that.
The 4K model has replaceable batteries (the Ghost XL does not).
Old 04-22-21, 09:44 AM
freewheely

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The 4K model has replaceable batteries (the Ghost XL does not).
I know. But now that you mention this: this indeed can be an acceptable alternative for the waterproof connector.
Still, it would be much easier to just leave it connected to a power source (eg. battery that can be charged with a dynamo or battery from electric assisted bike) instead of swapping the battery every time.
On the other side: this is only needed when raining. So I think I go for the 4K model after all.
Thank you for this insight!
Old 04-22-21, 09:46 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by freewheely
So I think I go for the 4K model after all.
The 4K has image stabilization.
Old 04-22-21, 07:09 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Where in Europe are you? Here in the US, people like their bike accessories to be detachable to prevent theft. I happen to like the Dutch approach to bolting things on, but maybe there aren't enough of us who feel this way. Someone tried to steal my dynamo-powered headlight, bolted onto my bike. He didn't have a wrench (idiot) so he just bent the bracket. No problem, I just bent the bracket back. The concept of bolted-on stuff is proven. Thieves are too stupid to carry wrenches.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-24-21, 06:44 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
You don't need to detach your cameras if one is attached to your helmet or chest and the rear camera is attached on your pannier or trunk.

I just discovered the other day, you can make your camera battery last much longer if you plug the camera into a high capacity power pack, like 10,000 mah.

That's all I got.

Internal microphones are lousy and you can't plug your external mike in if your camera is in its waterproof case.

Last edited by Daniel4; 04-26-21 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-26-21, 08:21 AM
freewheely

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Where in Europe are you? Here in the US, people like their bike accessories to be detachable to prevent theft. I happen to like the Dutch approach to bolting things on, but maybe there aren't enough of us who feel this way. Someone tried to steal my dynamo-powered headlight, bolted onto my bike. He didn't have a wrench (idiot) so he just bent the bracket. No problem, I just bent the bracket back. The concept of bolted-on stuff is proven. Thieves are too stupid to carry wrenches.
I'm from Belgium (and also Dutch speaking ). Wasn't aware that bolting things on was known as a typically Dutch approach :-)

Detaching stuff is indeed the best way to prevent theft, just as removing the steering wheel of car is. I just don't like to carry these stuff along every time I make a stop for a 30 min walk or break. The camera's are supposed to be an integral part of my bike (I don't use them for anything else).
I prefer a higher risk of theft and have this comfort in return. If someone is really determined to steal the camera, navigation (same problem), stem , saddle, light, front wheel... they'll always be able to. With the right tools in under a minute.

Like you say, I'm convinced that fixing or bolting things on makes a huge difference. My saddle is more expensive than the camera and fairly easy to remove (with the right hex key or wrench), but until now never stolen (fingers crossed).
But if it's not bolted on at all, it's like leaving the key of your car in the ignition.

Originally Posted by Daniel4
You don't need to detach your cameras is one if attached to your helmet or chest and the rear camera is attached on your pannier or trunk.
I just discovered the other day, you can make your camera battery last much longer if you plug the camera into a high capacity power pack, like 10,000 mah.
That's all I got.
Internal microphones are lousy and you can't plug your external mike in if your camera is in its waterproof case.
One 360 degree camera on the helmet would indeed be the most easy solution. Although you still have to fiddle with a cable every time you jump on and off the bike (on top of other stuff,...).
I also don't always wear a helmet, especially on short trips. I consider using a Hövding (hovding.com) airbag for bikers instead.
Good point about the waterproof case. Also cameras can overheat in hot sunny conditions when in a waterpoof case because there is not enough heat dissipation. Therefore I need a camera which is waterproof out-of-the-box. And I just discovered that the Ghost 4K is not waterproof