Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Sort of vintage Scott bike

Old 04-15-21, 08:32 PM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 52 Posts
Sort of vintage Scott bike

This bike for sale caught my attention as it seems older than all the other Scotts I've seen before. Probably isn't proper "CV" material but not far from it. Probably early 2000s? I'm wondering about the value but also about the history of the Scott line up. It has an aluminum frame but a carbon fork, ffull Ultegra 6500 from what I can tell.

Old 04-15-21, 10:20 PM
reelfishin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I wouldn't have a clue on the value, but the brand has been around in the sporting goods world since the late 50's, but mostly in ski and motocross gear.
They had absolutely zero presence in this area until a small shop opened with them as their flagship brand next to Giant and Schwinn just recently.
I think they import most of their bikes from Asia like all the other brands. Someone told me they were from Taiwan, so that could mean a Giant connection?
Old 04-16-21, 08:02 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The bicycle is equipped with 6500 series Ultegra, which should place it 1998-2005. It has aluminum, aero section down and seat tubes but doesn't appear to be triathlon specific geometry. During this era, they did have an triathlon specific model called the Waimea, with 650C wheels.

Scott started circa 1958, offering revoltionary, taperd aluminum ski poles, then ventured into other sports. In the very late 1980s they introduced the revolutionary aero bar for time trialists and triathletes but ironically their early bicycle offerings were ATBs. The first bicycles were introduced circa 1988. They were intended as a summer compliment to their winter ski equipment and were initially offered through the existing Scott dealership network of sporting goods store and ski shops. They soon expanded into bicycle shops and diversified into hybrids and flat bar road bicycles but I can't recall seeing a dropped bar road model prior to about 1995. Scott has sponsored a number of pro road and ATB teams over the years, but their success has primarily been in the latter, with World Championship, World Cup and Olympic victories.
Old 04-16-21, 09:25 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
I actually like that bike and I like Shimano 6500 stuff. From what I hear those brifters can get gummed up almost to beyond repair so be careful about that. Regardless, if that was in my area and I needed it.... I'd give someone $175 for it. It would also depend on chainring wear etc. If you have to replace the brifters with Microshift... $115, chainrings $45-55 each etc etc.
Old 04-16-21, 11:37 AM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
if I needed it....
That's another question