Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

SA 3 speed hub mechanical question :)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-16, 06:27 AM
DanielD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

If your able to provide any help I have a brief technical question about an old SA 3 speed hub.

Basically it's quite sluggish to shift and I think it may be the indicator chain catching on the axle nut. I threw away the plastic dust cap when I overhauled it for cosmetic reasons so I wonder if this dust cap has any function in making sure the chain doesnt catch?

Cheers for any opinions
Old 06-25-16, 07:30 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 6,681 Times in 2,609 Posts
No, that plastic sleeve is just there to prevent the indicator chain from getting smashed when the bike falls over. Have you unscrewed and inspected your indicator? A bent or kinked link could cause that problem as could the hub just needing a cleaning out. I suggest removing the indicator and spraying a good load of WD-40 in there as a short-term solution. Longer term is to disassemble and overhaul the hub. Lots of online instructions for how to do that if you haven't done it before.
Old 06-25-16, 07:25 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
There are a few things you could try before going to a full disassembly. Check for damage or stuck links on the indicator chain. The indicator pin should not be fully screwed into the hub. It should be backed out one full rotation before you attach the cable. You could also try over oiling the hub. Normally, it only requires a few drops every once in a while, but if you put a bunch in there, it will leak out for a while and make a mess, but it might help loosen things up if the hub has been dry for a long time.
Old 06-25-16, 07:37 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
I think it may be the indicator chain catching on the axle nut
...the best way to rule this in or out as your cause is to put the bike in a stand and shift it up and down through the gears multiple times while rotating the rear wheel with your pedals. then you can see what's actually going on. As stated above, sluggish shifting can have a number of different causes.

If you want to flush it with kerosene or mineral spirits, and then re-oil it it won't hurt anything. But it's messy to accomplish with the wheel built up, and might not fix the problem if there's some mechanical interference or cable pull issues.
Old 06-26-16, 06:01 AM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DanielD
Hello,

If your able to provide any help I have a brief technical question about an old SA 3 speed hub.

Basically it's quite sluggish to shift and I think it may be the indicator chain catching on the axle nut. I threw away the plastic dust cap when I overhauled it for cosmetic reasons so I wonder if this dust cap has any function in making sure the chain doesnt catch?

Cheers for any opinions

The SA hub is one of the most reliable pieces of bicycle equipment. I rank it with the 60's VW Beetle on a get's the job done basis time after time with minimum maintenance.

I've had numerous SA hubs and was able to resolve a couple that had shifting issues with nothing more than some fresh oil. Add oil, run it thru gears a few times, repeat as necessary.

Of course I made sure the shifter chain was free and oiled it, put a bit of grease on the axle nut where it contacted the chain, made sure the cable/pulleys were lubed and free, and oiled the trigger shifter to insure proper operation.

Finally, make sure the cable is adjusted properly....easy and quick to do.....see Sheldon

This whole process shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes and a bit of oil.

Last edited by okane; 06-26-16 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-26-16, 07:18 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
It is true that the AW hub is super reliable and never seems to wear out. An oil bath may smooth up the shifting, but I have seen hubs that needed a tear down and clean up before they would shift smoothly. If left un-oiled for a long time, surface rust can build up and cause a gritty feel and slow to engage shifting. The bike I'm working on now is totally frozen. The hub free wheels and the pawls engage, but the key doesn't budge in the axle slot.
Old 06-26-16, 09:06 AM
DanielD

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do have a stand and iv put it up before to see what it's doing, it appears as though one of the links gets caught but as some of you say it might be the mechanism inside the hub thats actually catching or a stiff chain.

I'll have a go with more oil and also flexing the indicator chain a bit tonight, cheers
Old 06-26-16, 11:36 AM
thunderworks

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Common AW repairs

If you need to overhaul the hub, look carefully at the clutch key and the return spring. The key is one of the common wear points in the hub and is commonly replaced when doing an overhaul. The main clutch spring should be replaced as well. Although getting harder to find all the time, most shops that have been around for a while can source the parts.

FWIW, I also recommend replacing the pawl springs as long as the hub is being overhauled. (I owned a bike shop for many years when these were common hubs).