Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Anyone else built like this?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-19, 07:17 AM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts

To be right for me, my bikes require the low standover height of a 19-20" frame, but a higher seat, and consequently higher handlebars. Finding the right frame size has not been difficult, but I do need to switch out the stem for a longer one. Is this unusual, or fairly common?

Old 08-28-19, 08:41 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
That is a little out there. So you have long legs but short torso and reach... Why not a bit bigger frame and a stem with a short reach?
Old 08-28-19, 09:37 AM
kross57

Originally Posted by 55murray
That is a little out there. So you have long legs but short torso and reach... Why not a bit bigger frame and a stem with a short reach?
With, say, a 21 inch frame, the standover height is too much.
Old 08-28-19, 10:29 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
You need a drop bar mountain bike or hybrid with a short seat post, long top tube. Unedgimicated opinion as to fit would be to get a shorter arm crank set and bring the seat back.

I'm also of the taller sitting down tribe, but ride "french fit, dress left" on 23" frames, so I might have a different tolerance for standover height.

Last edited by bark_eater; 08-28-19 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-28-19, 07:15 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I have long legs and a short torso/arms. From what I can see with your bike, you have negative saddle to bar drop. Most quality road race bikes are not designed with that kind of geometry in mind. I run somewhere around 4” of drop saddle to top of bars. The bike in the picture is obviously designed to be very aggressive with its miniscule headtube.

Also, oldschool straight top tube bikes have poor standover compared to newer bikes with sloping top tubes (like mine).

I agree with the comment above that says you need a hybrid, not a road race bike. Or maybe a very lax, endurance or even gravel oriented bike. It may come with flat bars, but you can put drops on it.

EDIT: To answer your question, I think your problem is extremely common. It seems that previous road bikes were very hardcore, with huge gears, straight top tubes, skinny tires and short headtubes. Newer bikes cater more to the average cyclists, with taller headtubes (a necessity with threadless steerers), sloping top tubes (which allow for more standover clearance with taller headtubes), smaller gears (I can hit 43mph with a 50:11... not sure why so many people think a compact crank is only for beginners) and wider tires (my tires measure out to 29mm). Your problem is only one of many that modern bikes have attempted to solve.

Last edited by smashndash; 08-28-19 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-29-19, 03:15 AM
kross57

Originally Posted by smashndash
I have long legs and a short torso/arms. From what I can see with your bike, you have negative saddle to bar drop. Most quality road race bikes are not designed with that kind of geometry in mind. I run somewhere around 4” of drop saddle to top of bars. The bike in the picture is obviously designed to be very aggressive with its miniscule headtube.

Also, oldschool straight top tube bikes have poor standover compared to newer bikes with sloping top tubes (like mine).

I agree with the comment above that says you need a hybrid, not a road race bike. Or maybe a very lax, endurance or even gravel oriented bike. It may come with flat bars, but you can put drops on it.

EDIT: To answer your question, I think your problem is extremely common. It seems that previous road bikes were very hardcore, with huge gears, straight top tubes, skinny tires and short headtubes. Newer bikes cater more to the average cyclists, with taller headtubes (a necessity with threadless steerers), sloping top tubes (which allow for more standover clearance with taller headtubes), smaller gears (I can hit 43mph with a 50:11... not sure why so many people think a compact crank is only for beginners) and wider tires (my tires measure out to 29mm). Your problem is only one of many that modern bikes have attempted to solve.
I actually had a modern bike with upright bars and wider tires. Hated it! I had almost given up riding until I rediscovered the bikes of my youth.

I'm OK with the tires and gearing, but the bikes that fit me best (standover) have diminutive head tubes that don't allow much in the way of adjustment. If they were set up for a more aggressive riding posisition, and/or a different body geometry, then that would explain my predicament. It could be that a more recreation-oriented C&V bike would have a different set-up, but none of the ones I've ridden do. All the 49-51cm frames need taller bars for me. Using a taller stem is no big deal, and once I do that, the bikes fit like a glove. I was curious how often this occurred.

Anyway, I appreciate the info.

Last edited by kross57; 08-29-19 at 03:20 AM.
Old 08-29-19, 05:13 AM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
How much standover are you looking for?
On my square frame I have somewhere around half and inch of standover if I am lucky.
On my sloping top tube I have more.
You really don't need much standover (unless you are incredibly adept at falling from your bike directly onto both feet at the same time on flat ground).

I am lost for words about the rest of that fit.
Old 08-29-19, 05:19 AM
sumgy

Originally Posted by smashndash
I think your problem is extremely common.
Only with people who have incredibly poor bike fits.
Old 08-29-19, 05:23 AM
sumgy

Originally Posted by kross57
the bikes that fit me best (standover)
Seriously, I think you are spending too much time worrying about standover, at the expense of getting a bike that actually fits you.
Do you spend lots of time standing over your bike, or do you spend much more time RIDING it?
Whichever thing you spend more time doing should have priority with regard to your fit.
Would love to see a pic of you, because unless you have incredibly short legs, zero flexibility in your back, and incredibly short arms, that bike does not fit you.
Old 08-29-19, 09:49 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I actually had a modern bike with upright bars and wider tires. Hated it! I had almost given up riding until I rediscovered the bikes of my youth.
Wider tires, I understand. But you can always put skinnier tires on any bike.

Why did you hate the upright bars? It seems like you need upright bars. Or did your hating the modern bike have nothing to do with fit?
Old 08-29-19, 10:23 AM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 108 Posts
Maybe not exactly the same, but this is similar for me. This is a 51 cm Jamis, with a sloping top tube. I think I could go to a larger frame in this model, but the way I have it set up now feels great.

Old 08-29-19, 10:39 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
To be right for me, my bikes require the low standover height of a 19-20" frame, but a higher seat, and consequently higher handlebars. Finding the right frame size has not been difficult, but I do need to switch out the stem for a longer one. Is this unusual, or fairly common?
IMO with that much seat post sticking up, there's no way you couldn't handle a 21" frame with plenty of standover. The saddle is all the way forward as well. I'm guessing it needs to go down a little and maybe back some. Then reevaluate your stem situation.
Old 08-29-19, 10:46 AM
kross57

Originally Posted by sumgy
How much standover are you looking for?
On my square frame I have somewhere around half and inch of standover if I am lucky.
On my sloping top tube I have more.
You really don't need much standover (unless you are incredibly adept at falling from your bike directly onto both feet at the same time on flat ground).

I am lost for words about the rest of that fit.
Half an inch to an inch is plenty for me. I was only asking to see if someone else had similar issues. Not for a lesson on bike fit.

Hey, maybe all the people that tell me I have huge cajones are right.
Old 08-29-19, 10:50 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Half an inch to an inch is plenty for me. I was only asking to see if someone else had similar issues. Not for a lesson on bike fit.

Hey, maybe all the people that tell me I have huge cajones are right.
Also worth considering that all the people telling you your bike fit looks incorrect might be on to something. I mean that magnanimously.
Old 08-29-19, 10:52 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

And your cojones won’t love you very long if you keep riding with your saddle too high. Especially if they're as big as you claim. Sorry. As big as other people claim.
Old 08-29-19, 10:55 AM
kross57

Originally Posted by Phamilton
IMO with that much seat post sticking up, there's no way you couldn't handle a 21" frame with plenty of standover. The saddle is all the way forward as well. I'm guessing it needs to go down a little and maybe back some. Then reevaluate your stem situation.
And you would be wrong. I have a bike with a 21" frame, and it gives me zero (maybe negative) gap for standover.

I did adjust the saddle after that photo was taken. It made no difference in the stem I need.

Again, guys, not looking for a lesson in bike fit. I do appreciate the suggestions, but not what I was asking for.

Last edited by kross57; 08-29-19 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-29-19, 10:58 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

And you would be wrong. I have a bike with a 21" frame, and it gives me zero (maybe negative) gap for standover.

I did adjust the saddle after that photo was taken. It made no difference in the stem I need.

Again, guys, not looking for a lesson in bike fit. I do appreciate the suggestions, but not what I was aking for.
No problem, then. To address your original question: No. I've never seen anything like that. Looks pretty bizarre to me. Good luck.

Edit: Beautiful bike, BTW. I love Fujis.
Old 08-29-19, 11:02 AM
kross57

Also worth considering that all the people telling you your bike fit looks incorrect might be on to something. I mean that magnanimously.
Maybe also worth considering is that the bike set up the way it is, is awesomely comfortable and functional for me. Why would I change that? Bike fit is all about doing what works for you. Not adhering to some arbitrary standard. There is a reason they make longer stems, right?

Once again, checking to see if anyone else has similar issues, not bike fit education. But, thanks anyway.
Old 08-29-19, 11:11 AM
kross57

And your cojones won’t love you very long if you keep riding with your saddle too high. Especially if they're as big as you claim. Sorry. As big as other people claim.
But, remember, the saddle isn't "too high". It's at just the right position for me. As far as the cojone size issue, yes, I have no personal opinion.
Old 08-29-19, 11:13 AM
kross57

Originally Posted by riverdrifter
Maybe not exactly the same, but this is similar for me. This is a 51 cm Jamis, with a sloping top tube. I think I could go to a larger frame in this model, but the way I have it set up now feels great.

Hurray! Someone gets it! Yes, and if you wanted the bars at seat level, like I do, and the head tube was very short, like my bikes, you'd need a longer stem.
Likes For kross57:
Old 08-29-19, 11:14 AM
kross57

No problem, then. To address your original question: No. I've never seen anything like that. Looks pretty bizarre to me. Good luck.

Edit: Beautiful bike, BTW. I love Fujis.
Thanks!
Old 08-29-19, 11:23 AM
riverdrifter

The photo of the Jamis above is misleading, because it's sitting at an angle. Actually the bars are just slightly above the saddle, and yeah that bike has a really long head tube.

Ground to top of saddle is 38", ground to top of handlebars (flats) is 38.5". Standover is 29". Cranks are 170.

Hard to picture it, but sitting on flat ground, the basket is perfectly level.

Last edited by riverdrifter; 08-29-19 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-29-19, 11:26 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

The photo of the Jamis above is misleading, because it's sitting at an angle. Actually the bars are just slightly above the saddle, and yeah that bike has a really long head tube.
Out of curiosity, how much standover clearance do you have on that setup?
Old 08-29-19, 11:32 AM
riverdrifter

Out of curiosity, how much standover clearance do you have on that setup?
29" standover. I edited the post above with more info.
Old 08-29-19, 11:34 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

29" standover. I edited the post above with more info.
Ok - sorry! I meant, how much clearance do YOU have standing over it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.