Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Recommend a front & rear camera

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 04-25-20, 06:51 AM
duffer1960

Bikes: Fred cycles

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts

After being harassed by the same driver (honk, very close passes, "you belong on the sidewalk!") on two different days on an otherwise empty and wide road, I'm thinking I need front & rear cameras. I did get a plate number and call the police, but I'm not sure this is enough for this particular turd. And in general

Simple, lightweight, easy to operate, cheap, long battery life, stupidproof, front & rear recording, etc. I know, can't have it all. What can I have these days?
Old 04-25-20, 06:57 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
What's the maximum you are willing to spend?
Old 04-25-20, 07:02 AM
duffer1960

I don't know. $200, say, if it's good enough to rate that price.
Old 04-25-20, 07:09 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
OP: if you got the plate number, at least contact the police. They may be willing to go chat with his motorist. I’ve gone that route with some decent results.

The “very close pass“ may violate the law in your state... many states now have laws about how closely motor vehicles can pass by cyclists.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-25-20, 07:28 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

$191 US:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cycliq-Fly1...UAAOSwOYFaXXfJ

I have heard people say the rear-facing cameras are not as helpful, so rather than get two cheap front and rear cameras, I would personally just get one good front-facing one. The battery life on these is 4-5 hours in real life conditions. Any of the other hi-res cameras that will pick up a plate have much shorter battery life (80-90 minutes?). If so that might work, I have seen Go Pros at Walmart, with bike mounts.

With my Fly 12 CE, the resolution is not great, but if there's an incident, the resolution (and sound) are more than enough to document it.

Another cheaper option might be to mount a still camera, and have it ready to take still shots. But if you want to have something that runs continuously for many hours, I think Cycliq is still pretty much the only game in town. Resolution is not as good as Go Pro, but i think the battery life makes up for it.

Last edited by Lemond1985; 04-25-20 at 07:37 AM.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 04-25-20, 07:38 AM
duffer1960

The rear camera I was thinking, in case the guy actually plows into me. Wanted something to show what hit me. On the other hand, the vehicle is a new pickup truck & he probably doesn't want to mess it up. Otoh, aren't rear-enders a common way for cyclists to get hit?

Nice images, Lemond1985

Originally Posted by Koyote
OP: if you got the plate number, at least contact the police. They may be willing to go chat with his motorist. I’ve gone that route with some decent results. The “very close pass“ may violate the law in your state... many states now have laws about how closely motor vehicles can pass by cyclists.
It is against the law and I did get a plate number and call the police. They didn't suggest they'd do anything, I suggested they should talk to him. An avid-biker associate at work said it's MilwaukeePD's poliicy to follow up with the driver in a bicyclist complaint. So I hope that's true.

Last edited by duffer1960; 04-25-20 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-25-20, 07:52 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

I look at it this way: The homicidal maniac in the beat-up white pickup truck, finally gets up the courage to ram you from behind. He takes another swig, hits the accelerator, strikes you at high speed, you go flying 20 feet in the air, hit the ground, and wake up dead.

OK, but the guy still has to drive away, and that's where a front-facing camera will record the plate, or at least capture a partial vehicle description while the camera is flying through the air. That your relatives can use to file a wrongful death suit against the driver. I think you want the best resolution you can get.

I have not used a rear-facing one, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But what if the guy surprises you and comes after you from the front next time?
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 04-25-20, 07:58 AM
duffer1960

Oh, definitely want a front view too. Was hoping for a small, inexpensive, but high-quality gadget that mounted on a helmet or something and captured both a front and rear view.
Old 04-25-20, 02:35 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I’m partial to the old Garmin Virb Elite cameras for front and rear, although my main ride has the Garmin up front and the Fly6 at rear. These are the not the modern Virbs that look like the blocky GoPros, but more cylindrical in shape. They have image stabilization, 1080p, and the Elite versions will tether to one another in master/slave mode. The cameras can be set to record when starting a ride with a Garmin head unit. Batteries last about two hours and they write to sd cards. Mounts have GoPro compatible adaptors included with them, making them easy to find mounts.

Only major negative is that they are hard to find since they are several years past discontinued. Some do pop up on eBay, used and new.

I also have a rear Fly6 2nd gen unit that records in 720p, but no stabilization (which I find is needed for road vibrations alone). Fiddly unit that I try not to touch once it is working. I have had sd card corruption and weird battery drain Issues, plus the charge port flap broke off during warranty period, but I was told they do not have parts, so it is sealed with gaffers tape. Newer versions have better specs, but have also had some serious complaints about water intrusion and unit failures. Once my current Fly6 gives up ghost, I will not be purchasing another Cycliq product.

Have used footage from both Garmin and Fly units for prosecution by authorities for non-traffic issues, namely some teenage delinquents wandering about with big TVs along the MUP. My only quasi traffic use was for more teen delinquents that shot me (and others from their car sunroof) with paintball pellets while commuting. Not even sure the footage was needed or finally used by police. For auto harassment I usually don’t even bother anymore, since our police department has more violent issues to deal with. Mostly the cameras are there for my future widow to finally have enough to run off with the nonexistent pool pool boy.
Likes For But its me:
Old 04-25-20, 06:22 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Drift Ghost X. I've been running one for six months and a pair of them since December. No problems.
  • 5-hour battery runtime, with optional 8-hour battery.
  • Weather resistant. I've been caught in rain, no problems. And I've had to wipe mud off them with a wet rag, also no problems. Seals are good.
  • Good image quality for an affordable tiny sensor camera. Good low light sensitivity and dynamic range. It's not 4K (that model costs a lot more) but pretty good for HD.
  • Various recording modes. I use "car DVD" set to 5-minute segments. If I need to save a segment for evidence, I don't need to bother with editing software. I just save a copy of that segment.
  • Overwrites earliest files. I need to switch from a 32GB to 64GB media card to avoid overwriting on longer rides. But 32GB is good enough for rides of 3-4 hours.

Current price is $100 each, but occasionally discounted. Put one in the Amazon cart (or move it to the "save for later" option) and check the prices daily. Sometimes that will trigger a price change.

I got the roll bar mount for my second camera. It's similar to the handlebar/stem mount, but with longer bolts.

I mount one to the stem, the rear facing camera on the seat post under my saddle bag.

It includes stick-on mounts for motorcycle helmets. Good 3M VRB adhesive, but the stickum doesn't quite match typical vented road bike helmets. I use Blue Tak gum and Scotch equivalent mounting putty to stick the mounts to my helmets. Works fine when I want to mount a camera to the helmet. The putty is not permanent and stays pliable, but holds very securely. I can be peeled up very carefully and reused.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 04-25-20, 06:32 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Nice bargain. I'm assuming that's 1080 x 1920 resolution, just like the Fly 12 CE. Similar battery life. But no image stabilization like the Cycliq has, so I guess that's the main thing you're paying the extra $100 for. However, if you use a helmet cam, you probably don't need stabilization. Interesting.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 04-25-20, 09:18 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Nice bargain. I'm assuming that's 1080 x 1920 resolution, just like the Fly 12 CE. Similar battery life. But no image stabilization like the Cycliq has, so I guess that's the main thing you're paying the extra $100 for. However, if you use a helmet cam, you probably don't need stabilization. Interesting.
I've run several video cameras, with and without image stabilization (sensor and lens based). Stabilization is less essential when the camera is mounted to the bike (assuming a good solid mount), and more useful when mounted to a helmet or the body.

Interestingly, my rear mounted cameras usually produce sharper videos, with or without camera stabilization. Probably just the way bicycles vibrate, especially the fork. Or maybe it's weight distribution. Front facing videos aren't bad with the Ghost X, but not quite as sharp as the rear facing videos.

Few action cams have the kind of sophisticated stabilization options developed by Nikon, Canon and others for still cameras. Nikon's Vibration Reduction options can be selected to minimize vibration from higher frequency chatter (such as a moving vehicle or boat), or slower speed motion from hand-holding a camera.

I also have a VanTop action cam that's a typical GoPro knockoff. It includes image stabilization that works best mounted on the helmet or body, but doesn't do much when mounted on the bike. If I needed a helmet cam I might dig that one out of the closet again, although I'd still prefer the Drift Ghost X. The Drift is much easier to operate in no-look fashion -- the large buttons and audible feedback really help.

Some GoPro-style knockoffs have audible alerts but those are often inaudible when the camera is used inside a protective housing.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 04-26-20, 08:38 AM
duffer1960

Originally Posted by canklecat
Drift Ghost X. I've been running one for six months and a pair of them since December. No problems.
  • 5-hour battery runtime, with optional 8-hour battery.
  • Weather resistant. I've been caught in rain, no problems. And I've had to wipe mud off them with a wet rag, also no problems. Seals are good.
  • Good image quality for an affordable tiny sensor camera. Good low light sensitivity and dynamic range. It's not 4K (that model costs a lot more) but pretty good for HD.
  • Various recording modes. I use "car DVD" set to 5-minute segments. If I need to save a segment for evidence, I don't need to bother with editing software. I just save a copy of that segment.
  • Overwrites earliest files. I need to switch from a 32GB to 64GB media card to avoid overwriting on longer rides. But 32GB is good enough for rides of 3-4 hours.

Current price is $100 each, but occasionally discounted. Put one in the Amazon cart (or move it to the "save for later" option) and check the prices daily. Sometimes that will trigger a price change.

I got the roll bar mount for my second camera. It's similar to the handlebar/stem mount, but with longer bolts.

I mount one to the stem, the rear facing camera on the seat post under my saddle bag.

It includes stick-on mounts for motorcycle helmets. Good 3M VRB adhesive, but the stickum doesn't quite match typical vented road bike helmets. I use Blue Tak gum and Scotch equivalent mounting putty to stick the mounts to my helmets. Works fine when I want to mount a camera to the helmet. The putty is not permanent and stays pliable, but holds very securely. I can be peeled up very carefully and reused.
Ordered. Got a $15 discount when I put it in my cart. Thanks for the recommendation. I've wanted an automobile dash cam too. Will try to use it double-duty. Didn't notice any optional extras for mounting, charging, data transfer. We'll see...
Old 04-26-20, 01:01 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by duffer1960
Ordered. Got a $15 discount when I put it in my cart. Thanks for the recommendation. I've wanted an automobile dash cam too. Will try to use it double-duty. Didn't notice any optional extras for mounting, charging, data transfer. We'll see...
It should include a dedicated USB cable - others may not work for data transfer but should for charging.

And two helmet mounts with heavy duty 3M VRB tape. But as I described, I used Blu Tack gum or the equivalent white mounting putty from Scotch, both available in most store stationery aisles. Build up a good platform of putty that extends up the sides of the Drift camera mounts. I'll try to post an example photo later.

But due to an old neck injury I try to avoid mounting cameras on my helmet.

So after I was sure the cameras were keepers I bought the bike mounts.

Using Scotch mounting putty to attach plastic mount for Drift Ghost X to Bell Formula MIPS.

Using Scotch mounting putty to attach plastic mount for Drift Ghost X to Bell Formula MIPS.

Last edited by canklecat; 04-26-20 at 02:37 PM.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 04-28-20, 08:46 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
I just ran across this video the other day. It's very recent.

Campark V30 $99
I googled the specs and it says the battery life can be 4hours.

It comes with spare batteries and a separate battery charger.

In the subforum, Commuting, there's an ongoing thread called "Do You Record"
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 05-05-20, 05:17 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
The lowest hassle, easiest use for this is the Cycliq 12CE (front) and the 6CE (rear). You also get a daytime headlight and taillight out of the package.

They can be a bit finicky until you get them dialed in but once dialed in, they are really low friction. Most importantly, they have image stabilization, microphone for recording, and good resolution so you can get license plate numbers and recognize driver’s faces. I have used them successfully in about 10 incidents with drivers - two school bus companies, a wood flooring distributor, a cement truck incident and with three private drivers. The video was more than enough for the sheriff to go and contact the drivers and either give them a citation or a warning. So, I’m a fan.

I always start the conversation with the companies with “I wanted to talk to you about this incident with one of your drivers today before I turn the video over to the sheriff.” That generally gets it handled right smartly.

They also recently put up a website where you can upload the videos and then provide links to law enforcement.

Everyone who looks at this first thinks that the rear is the most important camera - I’ve found it’s the front because there you can see the close pass and how little room you were given. As well, it covers the right and left hook issues. Having both is better but if you have to have one, get the front.

So I’m a fan of the Cycliq stuff because it’s worked with law enforcement and with the manager responible for safety at companies with commercial vehicles.
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 05-09-20, 01:26 PM
duffer1960

Thanks. If the Drift cam doesn't work for me, will take a closer look at the Cycliq
Old 05-09-20, 02:18 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I look at it this way: The homicidal maniac in the beat-up white pickup truck, finally gets up the courage to ram you from behind. He takes another swig, hits the accelerator, strikes you at high speed, you go flying 20 feet in the air, hit the ground, and wake up dead.

OK, but the guy still has to drive away, and that's where a front-facing camera will record the plate, or at least capture a partial vehicle description while the camera is flying through the air. That your relatives can use to file a wrongful death suit against the driver. I think you want the best resolution you can get.
I think your next of kin will find that whether you catch anything useful from a front-facing camera in a case where you get rammed from the rear is going to be a matter of luck. Once the impact has occurred and the bike is airborne and spinning madly, it'll be facing the sky, the dirt, the side of the road, the road itself, and, if you're lucky, you might catch a frame that happens to show the license plate as he drives off. And that's if you're lucky. Or, rather, if your next of kin are lucky, since by this point you personally don't care anymore.

Go to the Cycliq website and look through their gallery of horror show videos, and watch some of the ones taken from a front-facing camera after any kind of accident, be it crash or whatever. A common theme I noticed is that the camera is usually facing into the dirt or grass once the accident has happen and the flying through the air bit is over.

I have not used a rear-facing one, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But what if the guy surprises you and comes after you from the front next time?
I haven't got a rear-facing one yet either. I've just got the front-facing Cycliq installed in the last couple of weeks. I'll eventually fork out for the rear-facing one, just for some kind of closure for my family in the case that I'm run over from behind. Or, on a more positive note, if I'm on a group ride and someone eats it and my bike is in a position to record the moment for posterity, their insurance claim, or whatever other use.

Last edited by SethAZ; 05-09-20 at 02:21 PM.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 05-09-20, 02:30 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

I just love playing around with both of my Fly12 CE's, but then I have always been a bit of an A/V geek.
Old 05-09-20, 03:17 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
truer now than ever before, cough, cough ... prevention is worth a pound of cure

wear a t-shirt that reads: "smile you're on camera" w/ a clip art camera lens or something

https://www.amazon.com/Smile-Youre-C.../dp/B07H74YF4Y

or some stickers

https://www.amazon.com/Faittoo-Smile...apparel&sr=8-8

I think rear facing cameras have a lot to offer

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-09-20 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-09-20, 03:34 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

People report a lot of problems with the mount on the Fly 6's, FWIW. I enjoy recording long descents with my front-facing camera and then watching them on a big screen TV, for some reason they are relaxing. Watching rear-facing video just make me nauseous, like I'm riding in the back of a pickup truck like we used to do BIDT.

Rear-facing is arguably more useful from an accident forensics perspective. I would just be afraid of being hit by someone with no front plate, and then missing the rear plate completely as they drive off. If you use a rear camera, it probably should be in conjunction with a front one, IMO. I don't really like the idea of advertising, it's just gonna possibly make the person who hits you more thorough and grab your camera, before they drive off.
Old 05-09-20, 06:25 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I don't really like the idea of advertising, it's just gonna possibly make the person who hits you more thorough and grab your camera, before they drive off.
omg yikes where do you live? I definitely get more courtesy w my cam on my helmet. ppl see that I think & they just be like ok man go ahead I ain’t gonna kill ya
Old 05-09-20, 06:58 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

California. Don't you watch Tarantino movies? Or play Grand Theft Auto? SoCal people are heartless animals, and besides, it's been out of style for several years to stop for road accidents out here, much easier to think of some lame excuse afterwards ("I felt threatened").

In any event, it's currently impossible to get arrested for anything in this state, so the whole discussion is pretty much moot.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-17-20, 12:49 PM
GreenspeedGTS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sometimes the WI Bike Federation can offer some assistance in some of these situations.
Likes For GreenspeedGTS:
Old 05-17-20, 01:26 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
People report a lot of problems with the mount on the Fly 6's, FWIW. I enjoy recording long descents with my front-facing camera and then watching them on a big screen TV, for some reason they are relaxing. Watching rear-facing video just make me nauseous, like I'm riding in the back of a pickup truck like we used to do BIDT.

Rear-facing is arguably more useful from an accident forensics perspective. I would just be afraid of being hit by someone with no front plate, and then missing the rear plate completely as they drive off. If you use a rear camera, it probably should be in conjunction with a front one, IMO. I don't really like the idea of advertising, it's just gonna possibly make the person who hits you more thorough and grab your camera, before they drive off.
The FLY6CE mount is not great. The connection from the light to the mount is fine. It’s just that the mount on the seat post is bad.

The two better solutions I have are:

1. An adaptor from the Cycliq to a Garmin mount. They’re available from some of the 3D printing sites (i.e. shapeways). I just leave it on my FLY6CE all the time.

2. Get a seat/seat post GoPro mount and the piece from Cycliq that fits into a GoPro mount. That will be a pretty solid connection. A good one is the K-edge seat rail to GoPro mount that would be used for a rearward facing camera.

With respect to the utility of a rear facing camera - yes, they’re nice but if you want to correct driver behavior, my experience has been that the front camera is the best and provides the most evidence to law enforcement and works great. It also shows the consequence of the driver’s action on the cyclist.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.