Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXX

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXX

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-20, 01:32 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by gnome
On the cars with power steering the power assistance was run off the same high pressure hydraulic system. The rubber brake button is just a cover for the pressure switch. Later Citroens (CX, GS, BX ) had a conventional brake pedal. Although it was still just pressing on the pressure switch. So the brakes were still sensitive. Over the years I've had a number of Citroens. They were often very cleverly designed and engineered and the height adjustable, load sensing hydraulic suspension is brilliant. When they were working they were great. I've only had two that had hydraulic problems. But they are expensive to maintain and fix. Because I'm a slow learner my wallet has been repeatedly and severely pillaged keeping an old french car going.
Oh yeah! That's right! I'd forgotten about the steering being on the hydraulic system, too.

My Dad loved that car, and overlooked any number of flaws for that reason. Luckily, there was a Cit dealer/mechanic only 35 miles away, because otherwise I don't know how he'd have managed. No local mechanic could do much more than plugs and points! One time, there was a small leak in the hydraulic system, such that as it ran it would blow the fluid out slowly. Dad didn't want to pay to tow the car 35 miles - because you can't tow them, you need to put them on a flatbed truck - so he drove to the mechanic with my Mom following. She noticed her windshield getting dirty - it was blown-out fluid from Dad's car.

My brother got one as well. Not the fancy DS21 Pallas Dad had, though. He got an ID19, which was the same shape but a smaller engine, manual transmission, vinyl interior. But it was a lemon - even more so than all other Cits. The dealer chased problems through the hydraulic system for a year or more. Finally he sold it. And bought another one!

Since that one was followed by a series of Renaults, I wouldn't say his judgement in cars was all that good.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-09-20, 01:33 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
My post-work rides are all based around the same Canada Road I described a few days ago. Because it runs parallel to one of the two freeways that run down the Peninsula, there's relatively little car traffic. It's a wide road, and has wide bike lanes in addition. It runs 8 miles to Woodside, where there's a 4-way stop. It's possible to put together >20 miles without having to turn left at an unprotected intersection, riding on roads that have either a wide bike lane or very little car traffic, or both. I can stretch that to 24 if I add a single unprotected left turn.
I saw that - looks nice. Our rural roads are all two lane with no bike lanes, and have a lot of unprotected intersections. Our 25 mile route crosses a very busy arterial with 55 mph speed limit twice. It's four lanes divided, but only governed by a two-way stop. Don't like crossing that unless its a really off peak time. I wish we had more places around here, but this is not really very bike friendly.
Old 12-09-20, 01:35 PM
Mojo31
-------

Oh yeah! That's right! I'd forgotten about the steering being on the hydraulic system, too.

My Dad loved that car, and overlooked any number of flaws for that reason. Luckily, there was a Cit dealer/mechanic only 35 miles away, because otherwise I don't know how he'd have managed. No local mechanic could do much more than plugs and points! One time, there was a small leak in the hydraulic system, such that as it ran it would blow the fluid out slowly. Dad didn't want to pay to tow the car 35 miles - because you can't tow them, you need to put them on a flatbed truck - so he drove to the mechanic with my Mom following. She noticed her windshield getting dirty - it was blown-out fluid from Dad's car.

My brother got one as well. Not the fancy DS21 Pallas Dad had, though. He got an ID19, which was the same shape but a smaller engine, manual transmission, vinyl interior. But it was a lemon - even more so than all other Cits. The dealer chased problems through the hydraulic system for a year or more. Finally he sold it. And bought another one!

Since that one was followed by a series of Renaults, I wouldn't say his judgement in cars was all that good.
Would have been much smarter for him to buy English sports cars.
Old 12-09-20, 01:43 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11966 Post(s)
Liked 6,632 Times in 3,478 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Not me.
I don’t even know what he’s talking about.
Old 12-09-20, 01:47 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by BillyD
I don’t even know what he’s talking about.
Mean looking bird of prey. You must be a real bad ass.

You should change it to this so you aren't so intimidating.

Likes For Mojo31:
Old 12-09-20, 01:49 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,682 Times in 4,077 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Ugh. 3-5" of snow and 20-30mph winds this Saturday.
Ideal cycling conditions!

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 12-09-20, 01:50 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31

That fluff ball will, in a handful of months, be one of nature's most successful killers. Try again.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-09-20, 01:51 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Would have been much smarter for him to buy English sports cars.
HA! That was MY thing. My first car, in 1979, was a 1966 MGB - Positive Ground, non-synchro first gear and all. No way of knowing how many miles because the speedo was broken. Well, really, it was the speedo drive gear on the transmission tailshaft.

It was every bit as reliable as my brother's Cit.

But amazingly, neither my MGB nor my brother's Cit were The Worst Car in the family. No, THAT prize went to my other brother, who in 1969 bought himself a 1965 Simca 1000 - watercooled, rear engine, tiny little tin box of a car. When it was running well, it couldn't manage to stay above 45 mph on the PA Turnpike's worst uphill segments. And it was almost never running well. First week he owned it, the starter gave out. First long trip he took in it, it overheated. I was along for that trip. We stopped at the Turnpike rest areas every 30 or so miles (as they were then) to top up the radiator. He replaced the head gasket repeatedly. Finally got rid of it and bought a 10 year old Ford Galaxie that ran for years.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-09-20, 01:51 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets

I'm gettin' a little pissed that I haven't been able to ride the studs in a few weeks.
Old 12-09-20, 01:54 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I might just have to go play around on my fixed gear if it's not too nasty
Old 12-09-20, 01:59 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
I might just have to go play around on my fixed gear if it's not too nasty
I'd recommend switching from Deltas to flats though
Old 12-09-20, 02:04 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11401 Post(s)
Liked 4,753 Times in 2,766 Posts
My ******g Lord, you people are gluttons for punishment when it comes to behicles.

Gawd. I'm surprised you are functional adults.
Old 12-09-20, 02:09 PM
Mojo31
-------

HA! That was MY thing. My first car, in 1979, was a 1966 MGB - Positive Ground, non-synchro first gear and all. No way of knowing how many miles because the speedo was broken. Well, really, it was the speedo drive gear on the transmission tailshaft.

It was every bit as reliable as my brother's Cit.

But amazingly, neither my MGB nor my brother's Cit were The Worst Car in the family. No, THAT prize went to my other brother, who in 1969 bought himself a 1965 Simca 1000 - watercooled, rear engine, tiny little tin box of a car. When it was running well, it couldn't manage to stay above 45 mph on the PA Turnpike's worst uphill segments. And it was almost never running well. First week he owned it, the starter gave out. First long trip he took in it, it overheated. I was along for that trip. We stopped at the Turnpike rest areas every 30 or so miles (as they were then) to top up the radiator. He replaced the head gasket repeatedly. Finally got rid of it and bought a 10 year old Ford Galaxie that ran for years.
I had a Triumph on order in the mid-70s, but the factory was on strike and I never got it. Ending up getting a Celica which probably proved to be the better thing. Fortunately, I've never had a bad car, but always stuck with Japanese and German cars with a few Fords and Jeeps thrown in.

My current car has me scratching my head though. For some unknown reason, random warning lights will light and chime from time to time, but no codes can ever be retrieved. The oil sensor warning will also light up once in a while although the oil level is always okay. dealer has been unable to replicate or figure it out. Runs absolutely great though. But, it's definitely a car that I will move before the warranty expires as out of warranty work will be really expensive, and there is so much tech on it that I'm afraid of things going wrong out of warranty.
Old 12-09-20, 02:26 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
I've had them on several cars, including the current. I really like them. They really shine in rural areas that are not well lit.
Wife has them on the Mazda. Agree: Very nice, but you can see them juddering slightly as they rotate and it would suck if one of them got stuck off center and the car developed a strabismus.
Old 12-09-20, 02:30 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Wife has them on the Mazda. Agree: Very nice, but you can see them juddering slightly as they rotate and it would suck if one of them got stuck off center and the car developed a strabismus.
Should not do that. If still under warranty, take it in and have them fix it.

Strabismus would be very bad. Very, very bad. Not good at all. A yuge problem.
Old 12-09-20, 02:34 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11401 Post(s)
Liked 4,753 Times in 2,766 Posts
Should not do that. If still under warranty, take it in and have them fix it.

Strabismus would be very bad. Very, very bad. Not good at all. A yuge problem.
Yep.

They usually go straight to the shredder when that occurs.
Old 12-09-20, 02:41 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Troubling sign in humans too.
Old 12-09-20, 02:49 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Is anyone else troubled by BillyD .s avi?
That's a juvenile peregrine, that cute little face isn't intimidating, especially compared to the previous scowling peregrine.

You just want to see some robins or something, dont'cha.
Old 12-09-20, 02:50 PM
BillyD
Administrator

This was our symbol for gun talk a few years back.
Old 12-09-20, 02:52 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by WhyFi
That fluff ball will, in a handful of months, be one of nature's most successful killers. Try again.
IKR, one of them tried to kill Big John.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 12-09-20, 03:06 PM
WhyFi

Took a trip over to the lumber yard to pick up some walnut for some picture frames. About 20 minutes in to the half hour drive there, I realized that my wallet was still in my cycling jacket from the morning ride.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-09-20, 03:23 PM
Mojo31
-------

We have feral cats that roam through the yards in our neighborhood. They get up on the patio furniture and piss on the cushions to mark them as if they are competing for space with Princess Ella. I'd like to take a little target practice, but the problem is that it is illegal to discharge firearms in the city and there are houses about 75 feet behind ours that would catch the strays. So, probably not a good idea to do so.

My Python (not the snake) would sure take care of those little PIAs, but would leave a real mess.
Old 12-09-20, 03:26 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
My ******g Lord, you people are gluttons for punishment when it comes to behicles.

Gawd. I'm surprised you are functional adults.
yes, yes I am. I've enjoyed the multitude of old English and French cars I've had. Mostly. At least when they were working. Although my bank balance hasn't.

And functional adults is a very, very low bar. It's not hard to achieve. It's even easier than riding a bicycle.
Old 12-09-20, 03:26 PM
Mojo31
-------

One of them possibly killed a Texas man not far from here recently.

Texas man found dead in woods 'could have been killed by mountain lion' | US news | The Guardian
Old 12-09-20, 03:27 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
Went to leesburg for the night to visit my aunt. Her neighborhood was beautiful, nice open roads, barely any traffic. Wish I had my bike.

Took Amelia to the disney store in the way home. It was her first time, and my wallet was considerably lighter leaving.
Likes For bampilot06:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.