Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

New bent owner, and I'm psyched!

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-05, 08:16 PM
Mars
coitus non circum.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I bought an HP Velotechnik Speedmachine yesterday. When I took it out for a test ride, I fell within 30 feet. Very low and twitchy. But after a bit, was able to ride, in a fashion, and thought it was the coolest bike ever. Since then, I have spent about 5 hours on the bike. Most of my time has been spent starting and stopping and low speed manouvering.

Today, I took it out on a MUP and opened it up a bit. What an eye opener! I quickly ran out of gears in the middle chainring. On the large chainring, I established an easy, no strain spin. Absolutely minimal effort. When I glanced at the computer, it was reading 19 mph! Now, I rode a roadie for the last 3 years and I can tell you that although 19 is not all that fast, it takes a bit of work. This was SO much easier and the air rushing over me felt like it wasn't really slowing me down. I wasn't confidant enough in my piloting skills to open her up all the way, but I had a LOT left in my legs, who knows how fast I could of gotten going? The seat is currently as far upright as it will go, so I can get a lot more aero than I was.

As far as this rider is concerned, the debate over roadie vs bent speed is over. You can tell from the above who won.
Old 09-19-05, 10:58 AM
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You picked a hard to learn but AWESOME bent for your first. It will be twitchy and you will fall for a while, but I took my road bike out this weekend and got ticked off at how slow I was going and how LONG it took to make a turn You'll feel that way after a couple months.

As far as speed, wait until you develop your bent muscles. My max speed on the bent is almost 10mph faster, and average is 4mph faster than my road bike. And I'm only 6months ahead of you!
Old 09-19-05, 12:17 PM
mike32

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mars
I bought an HP Velotechnik Speedmachine yesterday. When I took it out for a test ride, I fell within 30 feet. Very low and twitchy. But after a bit, was able to ride, in a fashion, and thought it was the coolest bike ever. Since then, I have spent about 5 hours on the bike. Most of my time has been spent starting and stopping and low speed manouvering.

Today, I took it out on a MUP and opened it up a bit. What an eye opener! I quickly ran out of gears in the middle chainring. On the large chainring, I established an easy, no strain spin. Absolutely minimal effort. When I glanced at the computer, it was reading 19 mph! Now, I rode a roadie for the last 3 years and I can tell you that although 19 is not all that fast, it takes a bit of work. This was SO much easier and the air rushing over me felt like it wasn't really slowing me down. I wasn't confidant enough in my piloting skills to open her up all the way, but I had a LOT left in my legs, who knows how fast I could of gotten going? The seat is currently as far upright as it will go, so I can get a lot more aero than I was.

As far as this rider is concerned, the debate over roadie vs bent speed is over. You can tell from the above who won.
Where'd you make your purchase? I'm in the market too - looking at the Velotechnik SM or the Challenge Mistral SL. Does anyone stock these or is it all special order stuff?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-05, 12:35 PM
erik forsgren

Bikes: Radius Marco Polo and Challenge Fujin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mars

I think many of us who owns a recumbent have made the same experience on our first trip on the recumbent. A friend of mine has got himself an Azub 4 bike and he fell off several times just as I had told him he would do in the very beginning. Now a couple of days later he is more confident and feels more comfortable with the bike. You seem to have made the same positive entrance into the recumbent world. I can assure you that you will only wait for the next opportunity when you can ride your machine again-riding a recumbent is addictive. Once you have it in your blood you can't stop. I ridden a recumbent for 4 years now and I still can't wait for the next day to come when I take it out for a ride to my work.
Old 09-20-05, 06:53 PM
Mars
coitus non circum.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Took my new speedmachine on my commute today. My trip is 19 miles one way. trip in; 51 minutes. Trip home; 55 minutes. Both of these times is more than 10 minutes off my best times on my road bike.
Old 09-20-05, 09:51 PM
Mars
coitus non circum.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mike32
Where'd you make your purchase? I'm in the market too - looking at the Velotechnik SM or the Challenge Mistral SL. Does anyone stock these or is it all special order stuff?

Thanks!
Hi Mike,
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I bought mine at Basically Bicycles in MA. there was one for sale at the Bicycle Man as well. Go to Bent Rider Online for their websites. the HP Velotechnik wwebsite has a list of dealers in the US. good luck with your new purchase... I'm delighted with mine, as you can see
Old 09-21-05, 11:53 AM
bentrox!
horizontally adapted

Bikes: Specialized Stumpie, Bianchi Pista, Optima Baron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You did everything I did four years ago. My first ride had me crashing into my neighbors trash can - at least it was at slow speed and I didn't go down. You're starting with slow speed, which is the cautious thing to do, despite the urge to let 'er rip. I've never ridden a V-SM but my own bent is of a similar low configuration - after several rides, low-speed handling becomes a non-issue. I could ride at pedestrian-walking speed without the wobbles after only a couple weeks practice.

Be mindful of speed and surface conditions when you try a high-speed banking turn, though. I banked too steeply on concrete, the tires couldn't maintain grip and I went down hard. There was only a small crack in the hard-shell seat but major bruising and road rash to my hip. At least on the recumbent bones aren't as likely to fracture when you fall only a few inches.
Old 09-21-05, 07:47 PM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mars,

Welcome to the dork side!
Old 09-22-05, 08:14 AM
Dr. Duk

Bikes: Easyracers Ti-Rush, Tour Easy, Vision R-64 Sabre, Rans Screamer, Bike E CT, Trek R-200, HP Velotechnik SpeedMachine, Haluzak Horizon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the world of recumbents. I purchased a SpeedMachine last March. A little on the heavy side but a comfortable and fast machine. I also have her stablemate the StreetMachine which I ride during the winter months. Recently I upgraded to Rotor Cranks on the SpeedMachine. 56/44/30. This has improved my speed, performance and efficency. On the flats I can push the 56 ring and keep up the rhythm for a period of time but with two fake knees I don't want to push at the extreme. On a downhill the big ring is great!!! Have fun on the new ride.

Carpe Diem