Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek 1000 - Best Entry-Level Road Bike!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek 1000 - Best Entry-Level Road Bike!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-06, 07:55 PM
iamtim

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Vent Noir; 2016 Mercier Kilo TT Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by the beef
It is not the best road bike under $700.
Well, I say it is. And so does Bicycling magazine. So neener, neener, neener.

Old 05-01-06, 08:37 PM
Nubie

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Diverge Carbon Comp, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2020 Specialized Creo Expert

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Boooooo. It is not the best road bike under $700.
Of course not. The best road bike under $700 is the Fuji Newest. Duh.

Seriously, it's matter of opinion. We all love our bikes - that is why we're on this forum in the first place. Tim loves his Trek 1000. I love my Fuji. You love...well, whatever it is that you love.
Old 05-01-06, 08:41 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Albany-12303
I have a mediocre Nishiki 8 speed that I spray painted orange which I spent about $700 over the past three years on repairs. First a collision -new crankset and front wheel (tiagra) , broken campy shifters - I replaced with Sora, a messed-up hub, some broken spokes, upgraded brakes - to Avid shorties, and finally repairing a broken chain. Next week I want to replace a worn middle chain ring (its worn and the new chain is clanking on it.
But those old Nishikis get a lot of attention. Some of the younger folks don't remember them and don't know what to make of the brand. I have an old Nishiki MTB that I've upgraded with a shock and converted to a MUP bike. I love it. I would agree with you that $700 invested in a Nishiki is a little bit high and the Trek 1000 is more up to date.
Old 05-01-06, 08:41 PM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nubie
Of course not. The best road bike under $700 is the Fuji Newest. Duh.

Seriously, it's matter of opinion. We all love our bikes - that is why we're on this forum in the first place. Tim loves his Trek 1000. I love my Fuji. You love...well, whatever it is that you love.
Heh, okay, true. But still.
Old 05-01-06, 08:59 PM
Nubie

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Diverge Carbon Comp, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2020 Specialized Creo Expert

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Tim:

Left: https://specialorders.jensonusa.com/p...ils&sku=LD7763
Right: https://specialorders.jensonusa.com/p...ils&sku=LD7762

Left: https://store.airbomb.com/Itemdesc.as...763&link=qbike
Right: https://store.airbomb.com/Itemdesc.as...762&link=qbike
Old 05-01-06, 09:06 PM
BeeTL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
What I found interesting was they didn't say why.
It's orange!
Originally Posted by mecheng
[...] What am I gonna dp now?! [...]

Last edited by BeeTL; 05-01-06 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-01-06, 09:19 PM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got an 05, 1000. Rode it 3000 miles last summer and plan to pile some on this summer. (even though i mainly ride MTB) I just put a set of Mavic Open Pro's with Ultegra hubs on it today. This really is a LOT of bike for the money. I spent $520 for mine brand new, last Summer. (This year's model is exactly the same, black model.)

I also threw on a new chain and cassette today. I'll be getting a lot of miles for very little $ as opposed to so many that have shelled out thousands.
Old 05-01-06, 09:40 PM
chroot
Newbie Extraordinaire

Bikes: Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did I hear that right? Some people buy Tiagra bikes and then put 105 labels on the components?

Isn't that lying to a chick and saying you drive a Camry, when you really drive a Corolla? Who can you possibly impress by pretending you have Shimano's third-from-the-top components?

- Warren
Old 05-01-06, 09:53 PM
Nubie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chroot
Did I hear that right? Some people buy Tiagra bikes and then put 105 labels on the components?

Isn't that lying to a chick and saying you drive a Camry, when you really drive a Corolla? Who can you possibly impress by pretending you have Shimano's third-from-the-top components?

- Warren
Huh? Where did you read this?
Old 05-01-06, 10:36 PM
ChristopherM

Bikes: 2006 Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iamtim
The Trek 1000 won Best Entry-Level Road Bike in the Bicycling Magazine 2006 Editor's Choice awards.

I'm just saying.

This is good news for me! I just bought one 3 days ago (my first road bike) and I'm loving it so far.

Was a bit under $700 as well.
Old 05-01-06, 10:53 PM
Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iamtim
Amen, baybee:

That one's mine, which is why I'm pimping the Trek 1000. 'Course, I upgraded some of the more entry-entry-level parts like the Alex wheels (I run Tiagra/Mavic CXP23), the 2203 front-derailleur (I run Tiagra), the brifters (again, I run Tiagra with a 9-speed drivetrain), the brakes (Tiagra yet again), and pedals (Ultegra, baybee!). But that's because I'm a tinkerer at heart, and like pulling for the underdog (the Trek 1000 takes a fair bit o' heat round these parts, heh.)

Since that picture was taken I've dropped the stem a wee bit, to test my flexibility, and eventually it'll be replaced with a closer-to-zero-degree-rise stem.
I'm really liking that handlebar tape! Nice bike, dood! F**k all the Trek haters! My main question for you is, why not get rid of that seat?! That seat is the same crap that is on my mountain bike. It just doesn't feel right under my booty. I'm sure you can find a nice seat out there that'll make that bike look even more sexy! Peace!
Old 05-01-06, 11:05 PM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

- Warren
What? Never heard that one. That'd be really stupid, anyway. All the fuss over different component groups is really stupid anyway, IMO. Just tune up your derailleurs properly, adjust those screws, and set the right height. There is no difference.
Old 05-01-06, 11:06 PM
iamtim

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
No, no. To make a long story short, Nubie gave me her Tiagra brifters and the caps were all scratched up. She replaced them with 105s, and just crashed and wrecked her caps. She's talking about getting new caps for her 105s, and I'm talking about getting new caps for my Tiagras.

Hope that cleared things up.
Old 05-01-06, 11:07 PM
iamtim

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pro
My main question for you is, why not get rid of that seat?!
Actually, I *really* like that seat. It fits my, er, seat perfectly. I'm going to snag another one for my fixie, so it matches.
Old 05-01-06, 11:19 PM
mecheng
Captain Slow

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

- Warren
Hmmm, that's an idea. Maybe I should replace my RD Tiagra sticker with Dura-Ace? Then I'll have Sora shifters, Sora FD, and a DA RD. What a ride that'll make!
And while at it, might as well take off those alexrims stickers and put some Mavics on 'em. Heck, why not go for a Cervelo decal?
Old 05-01-06, 11:26 PM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mecheng
Hmmm, that's an idea. Maybe I should replace my RD Tiagra sticker with Dura-Ace? Then I'll have Sora shifters, Sora FD, and a DA RD. What a ride that'll make!
And while at it, might as well take off those alexrims stickers and put some Mavics on 'em. Heck, why not go for a Cervelo decal?
Hehe, that reminds me of the time when I had a Sora/Dura-Ace mix. When I first bought the Bianchi Brava the store manager offered me a new Dura-Ace front derailleur for $30 after I complained about shifting problems. I took him up on the offer, but it just didn't work with my crankset, so I had him swap it back out for the Sora one and adjust it. Now it shifts fine. Still would've been fun to talk about, though. I can only imagine the looks on roadies' faces if I told them I was running a brand new Sora/Dura-Ace setup.
Old 05-01-06, 11:29 PM
mecheng
Captain Slow

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know about deraileurs, but your wheels sure are pretty!
Old 05-02-06, 02:45 AM
pdxtex
Portland, OR, USA

Bikes: kona paddywagon, trek 2.1, lemond nevada city, gt zrx

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trek could at least spring for a Tiagra rear der. though. Oh wait, they did. Whoops.
Old 05-02-06, 04:58 AM
Flying Dahon

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1000 - Orange / 2006 Dahon Speed P8 / 2008 Brompton M6L

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Trek 1000 (2005) was pretty when it was new. Now after a year of use, either I've grown used to it or it doesn't look so pretty anymore! But still, it's a great bike for what I paid ($589).
Old 05-02-06, 05:02 AM
SilentShifter
Let's Go!

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1500

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Go Trek!!
Old 05-02-06, 06:43 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by markwebb
I got my issue of Bicycling this month. I pretty much decided not to renew and instead subscribe to Velo News. I saw that "Best $700 Bike" on cover but there was no article. No real reason why it's The Best. That's why I won't renew my subscription - that rag is all fluff no substance. Some articles on nutrition are OK but still no more than common sense - lose weight by a) reducing calolries and b) exercising. Duh.
That magazine is HORRIBLE and a total waste of time and money. Nothing of substance between the covers. I love articles detailed articles in Velo News.
the magazine is good for cycling-related articles, not articles about cycling itself--mechanics, equipment, fitness, etc.

i enjoyed this month's write-up on the Little 500, and last year's article on Marco Pantani.... after 2 years of (free) subscription those were the only thing I found useful about the mag
Old 05-02-06, 07:13 AM
feltdude
dog = interval

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Given it's availability and all-around features, I agree that it is the best entry-level bike. A lot of other bikes (like the F90) have geometry that a lot of new riders find less comfortable.

Oh, I forgot where I am, I meant Trek sux and u only like it bcuz of Lance AHAHAH
Old 05-02-06, 07:14 AM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boooooo. It is not the best road bike under $700. Doesn't it still come with toe clips? The 'Alpha SL' frame is hardly what you'd call responsive, and it isn't that light. I can think of a lot of better budget road bikes than the 1000.
Oh? Could you share with us a few of those better budget road bikes? I need to know.
Old 05-02-06, 08:54 AM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
This makes two years in a row for the Trek 1000 being best entry level value.

So far I like mine. Got it last summer for only $499 new. At that price I have done some upgrading and plan to ride the crap out of it this summer. Later.
Old 05-02-06, 09:28 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Boooooo. It is not the best road bike under $700. Doesn't it still come with toe clips? The 'Alpha SL' frame is hardly what you'd call responsive, and it isn't that light. I can think of a lot of better budget road bikes than the 1000.
Please enlighten us poor masses,oh learned one

Statements like the above, stated as fact and not as opinion, are pure manure if you have nothing with which to back them up....an all to common occurrence in BF.

― Bruce Lee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.