Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike rear tire bulge/tear - replace or fix?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-12, 12:14 PM
fishboy_chris

Bikes: 1999 Peugeot Competition Cyclocross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,

I just got home from riding and found this bulge/tear in the rear tire of my city bicycle. I bought it a bit over a week ago at a flea market, and though everything seemed fine I had it checked out the LBS across the street 2/3 days later. They charged me 25 euros for an inspection, said everything was fine, and now I've got the following issue.

Is there any chance that I can fix or patch the tire, or should I just get a new one? Can I try to reuse the same tube? It's still got plenty of pressure, regardless.

I'm a bit worried about changing it myself because I've got a internal 7-speed shimano hub with a coaster brake on the rear wheel, and I'm sure that I'll have to remove the gear change cable if I need to change the rear tire. I looked up some information on the hubs, but there wasn't a guide to removing the gear shift cable.

Any help would be appreciated!

See the attached picture!
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2694.jpg (93.2 KB, 70 views)
IMG_2683.jpg (98.6 KB, 43 views)
IMG_2684.jpg (99.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 04-29-12, 12:22 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
That tire needs to be replaced, no chance any repair could save it; would be looking for a new LBS, as they should have picked up that the tire was worn out, as seen by the cracks in the rubber, which would have been there long before the tear.

Not sure what the pictures of the Peugot are for, as we can't see any details of the hub you have, if it's Shimano, it will have a name / number printed on it, google this, and you will find instructions on-line for it.
Old 04-29-12, 12:26 PM
fishboy_chris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I will probably look for another place. This one's convenient because it's just across the street from my house. I wanted to upload pictures of the peugeot for another thread, and I couldn't figure out how to get the off of my initial post.
Old 04-29-12, 12:38 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
That tire is toast
Old 04-29-12, 12:39 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,420 Posts
I wouldn't automatically blame the shop. This kind of damage can often appear very suddenly in an old tire. The tire might have been old and dried but necessarily to where it was obvious, and the tearing happening only after hitting a sharp bump like a pot hole.

Also, put yourself in the shop's position. If during the inspection they suspected that the tire was near the end of it's service life, and told you you needed a new tire, or maybe two - since odds are the other is similarly brittle - you might felt they were hijacking you for more dough on an unnecessary repair. Since it wasn't a safety issue, they might have felt the best thing is to take a wait and see approach.

It would be different if you had the inspection done before buying, or as a prelude to a long tour, but as it is, I'd give the shop credit or at least the benefit of the doubt for erring on the side of trying to save you money. As it is you're now no worse off than if they told you you needed tires 3 days ago.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-29-12, 12:43 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
To be fair to the shop, that failure isn't something that can easily be predicted.

Plenty of tyres with such perished rubber are perfectly okay to use; to say you definitely needed new ones would've been verging on a hard sell, IMO. I'd actually consider that a definite plus for the shop, if they turn out to be competent.

If it was me, I'd have said the tyres might be alright, but possibly not. I guess this failure is a result of the bike sitting on a flat for long enough to permanently crease the plies.

The condition of the rubber doesn't say much about the important part of the tyre - the carcass.

Edit: Hah - FB beat me to it. Great minds ; )

Last edited by Kimmo; 04-29-12 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-29-12, 12:48 PM
fishboy_chris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, that's a very good point, I wasn't sure how obvious that kind of old tire damage would have been a few days ago, and I did put in a lot of riding the last few days (about 50 km) while I'm waiting for delivery of an adjustable stem for the peugeot above.
The bike was pretty cheap (for German standards, certainly). It's about 10 years old, an "Alu-Steel" frame city bike from Hercules, called "Airliner". The tires are certainly on the older side, though the front looks better than the rear. I guess I'll just change out the rear and keep an eye on the front tire as well.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 04-29-12, 01:08 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

What's with the Peugot?
Old 04-29-12, 01:18 PM
lungimsam

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I, for one, am glad you posted the Peugeot pics. That is one sweet looking Peugeot!! Do you know the year it was made?
Definitely replace the tire. Its gonna blow-out any moment now, and you don't wana be on the bike when she blows.

Last edited by lungimsam; 04-29-12 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-29-12, 01:33 PM
fishboy_chris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The peugeot is a 98 or 99 Cyclocross Competition . . . Columbus thron tubes and shimano rsx 14 speed components. The cantilevers aren't that great, so I might replace them with standard road bike brakes at some point. I'll add a few more pictures of it here. It rides really nicely :-)

Old 04-29-12, 09:53 PM
lungimsam

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Looks great. Thanks for the pics!! I saw a white Peugeot last year and ever since, I have been into their looks. For some reason they look better to me than the usual traditional style road bikes.
Old 04-29-12, 10:31 PM
Makeitso
Desert Rat

Bikes: GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I were you I'd put the new tire on the front and the current front tire move it to the back. I want my best tire on the front.
Old 04-30-12, 03:09 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Good call.
Old 04-30-12, 10:20 AM
Wolfwerx

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour (x2), '83 Bianchi, '96 Trek 820, '96 Trek 470, '99 Xmart Squishy Bike, '03 Giant Cypress

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you can, replace both tires and be done with it. No sense in waiting/wondering when that front tire is going to follow the rear.
Old 04-30-12, 11:48 AM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I wouldn't automatically blame the shop. This kind of damage can often appear very suddenly in an old tire. The tire might have been old and dried but necessarily to where it was obvious, and the tearing happening only after hitting a sharp bump like a pot hole.3 days ago.
Agree with FB that this is most likely what happened. I once bought four Continental car tires at a great price, only to find that they developed bulges/lumps on the sides after about a month of use. Contacted Continental, was told the tires were manufactured a long time ago and stored improperly. They gave me brand new tires, and was told they were going to "fire" the store that sold me the tires. Apparently, rubber/tires has to be stored in certain specific ways.
Old 04-30-12, 12:51 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboy_chris
Can I try to reuse the same tube? It's still got plenty of pressure, regardless.
Yes

If you decide to replace the front tire, and it still seems fine, you could keep it for a spare in case you need a tire and all the shops are closed

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html