Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Opinions on 1989 Giant Sierra MTB?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-23, 11:24 PM
swissycle

Bikes: ~1982 Mondia Halbrenner, 1989 Giant Sierra ATB, 2021 Schindelhauer Siegfried Road

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts

I'm thinking of a second bike to complement my alu frame, track geometry, 28 mm tire road bike: steel frame, slack geometry, wider tires--a country bike, if you will, for moderate type 2 gravel trails and winter commuting.

WIth that in mind, this 1989 Giant Sierra is available for $150. What's the general view of this bike almost 35 years on?

And I can't help but notice the horizontal dropouts--could it make a good single speed conversion?

Last edited by swissycle; 10-19-23 at 01:28 PM. Reason: revision
Likes For swissycle:
Old 10-19-23, 05:39 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 650 Posts
I would keep it as is , change tires by either continental or michelin and probably change the rims by more stronger ones.Good and durable bike like anything made by Giant in the past.
Old 10-19-23, 06:28 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I dig mtb bikes of that era, but the only thing that would keep me from buying that one (maybe) is the under-the-chainstay u-brake. I had one of those back in the day and didn't love it.
Old 10-19-23, 06:50 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts
The under chainstay brakes aren't good for muddy conditions, but I never had any problems with them for everything else. I have a Ross Mt. Hood with a similar setup that I use for trails and short trips.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 10-19-23, 07:48 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 186 Posts
I am not sure how good the dropouts will be for a single speed. I have seen a few horizontal drop outs on MTB's of that period and they often have an extra bit of metal between the opening and the back of the dropout which limits how much you can move them. It may be fine on this one but if you really want to go single speed, you should check the dropouts.

Overall, I would love to have that bike if it was bigger and for sale locally.
Old 10-19-23, 09:36 AM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
The Shimano “Rapidfire” shifters have been replaced with friction thumb shifters, probably out of necessity. This is not a bad thing- the original shifters were failure-prone.

Between that and the semi-slick tires, whoever worked it over knew what they were doing. It’s a perfectly adequate street/trail bike.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 10-19-23, 10:03 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 249 Posts
I've got a similar vintage 1989 Panasonic MountianCat. I paid $200 (a little bit on the high side, probably) a year and a half ago. Mine's a lugged frame w/ unicrown fork. When I got it, the bike had the original steel handlebars and steel seat post. Also a solid axle / bolt on rear wheel. (all just HEAVY!) And it's got the BB-rear brake. It's a little bit of a pain as it's just more of a hassle to get to the it - releasing the cable, making sure the straddle cable is seated right. It works just fine, but I'm not cycling in mud - it's my touring bike (I updated a lot of it and set up for touring, it's a shade under 35 lbs...)

I also have a fully rigid RockHopper (about a '90, I think) I use for trail riding. It clear 26in x 2.3in tires, so it's pretty nice on the trails - at my slow skeeredee-cat pace.

This GIANT looks TIG welded (vs. my lugged Japanese PanaKat). I think $150 for this bike is fine. It looks ready to roll as is. In SE Michigan, it might be a little bit high, but the entire 80s metal market is a bit collapsed around here.
There's a guy who referred a late '80s Peugeot Orient Express near me. He's asking $450. It's a beautiful frame - lugged steel, bi-plane crown fork. Very nice paint. It's been up for sale for a looong time.

-- I hope he can hang on to it long enough so I can keep riding my Panasonic until it breaks! (.... if ever....)
Old 10-19-23, 10:15 AM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 131 Posts
At that price, in that condition, I think you'll love it.
Likes For romperrr:
Old 10-21-23, 10:38 PM
Romany275

Bikes: 89 Centurion Dave Scott IM Master, 92 Trek 950, 95 Giant ATX 870

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 17 Posts

This one’s not going anywhere -

I think I’ll be hanging on to this one - my winter bike.
Here’s mine - a bit newer and aluminum framed but what a bike! The welds on this look like something off a commercial fishing vessel. I think you did very well.

romany275
Likes For Romany275:
Old 10-23-23, 06:15 AM
swissycle

Bikes: ~1982 Mondia Halbrenner, 1989 Giant Sierra ATB, 2021 Schindelhauer Siegfried Road

Took it out for a ride this morning--comfy bike!

Any recommendations for fenders (the tires are 1.95" wide)? And bar ends that could be added to the existing handlebars?

Last edited by swissycle; 01-14-24 at 03:38 AM.
Old 10-23-23, 06:42 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 963 Posts
Your Giant reminds me of my 1988 Schwinn High Sierra. It also has a U-brake and the same slack geometry.

I was able to fit SKS plastic fenders for 26" MTB wheels on mine with plenty of clearance room. I'm running smooth tires on it which are about the same size as your tires. I added racks and it makes for a great all day touring bike to explore dirt roads and paths.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 10-23-23, 07:39 AM
swissycle

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Your Giant reminds me of my 1988 Schwinn High Sierra. It also has a U-brake and the same slack geometry.

I was able to fit SKS plastic fenders for 26" MTB wheels on mine with plenty of clearance room. I'm running smooth tires on it which are about the same size as your tires. I added racks and it makes for a great all day touring bike to explore dirt roads and paths.
I think Giant made the frames for Schwinn at that time, right? Would explain why the bikes are so similar. Thanks for the fender tip!
Likes For swissycle:
Old 10-23-23, 07:55 AM
Romany275

Bikes: 89 Centurion Dave Scott IM Master, 92 Trek 950, 95 Giant ATX 870

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 17 Posts
I also have SKS fenders - you can see the rear fender in the second photo of my Giant. I use the quick-release style, which go on and off in seconds. Although not shown I also have the SKS front mud guard, which attaches to the downtube right behind the tire. They’re not perfect but they keep the big slop off and that’s all I need.

romany275
Old 10-23-23, 10:23 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 249 Posts
SKS Bluemel B65

These are from RivBike

seems like SKS has one wheel size-kind of a one fender fits all. There’s enough flex where it seems to work fine.

oh! Wait PS- the b65 fenders were used with my 2in tires. It was super tight under the unicrown fork. When i enter to 1 3/4 tires, I pulled these narrower fenders out of my parts bin.

If you get new fenders I’d go narrower. Than the B65.

Last edited by mrv; 10-23-23 at 10:27 AM.
Likes For mrv:
Old 10-23-23, 02:39 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
The Shimano “Rapidfire” shifters have been replaced with friction thumb shifters, probably out of necessity. This is not a bad thing- the original shifters were failure-prone.

Between that and the semi-slick tires, whoever worked it over knew what they were doing. It’s a perfectly adequate street/trail bike.
That model and year of Giant didn’t come with Rapidfire shifters. It should have Shimano thumb shifters but it looks like those have been replaced. Thumb shifters are bomb proof and the cockroaches that take over from us will likely still be riding them. Here’s a picture from the catalog.

Originally Posted by swissycle
I'm thinking of a second bike to complement my alu frame, track geometry, 28 mm tire road bike: steel frame, slack geometry, wider tires--a country bike, if you will, for moderate type 2 gravel trails and winter commuting.

WIth that in mind, this 1989 Giant Sierra is available for $150. What's the general view of this bike almost 35 years on?

And I can't help but notice the horizontal dropouts--could it make a good single speed conversion?
Don’t damn the bike with faint praise! That’s not a “gravel bike”. That is a fully capable mountain bike similar to the ones I rode in that era on trails that are still being ridden today by modern dual suspension wonder bikes.

I think Giant made the frames for Schwinn at that time, right? Would explain why the bikes are so similar. Thanks for the fender tip!
Giant made a lot of frames for everyone for a very long time. They started making frames in 1972 but didn’t sell their own brand as a company until 1981.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-23-23, 02:49 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

And any recommendations for bar ends that could be added to the existing handlebars?
You can find all kinds of bar ends on line or, if you have a bicycle co-op near you, you can find bucket loads of them there. They seem to be part of the larval stage of bicycles.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-23-23, 07:17 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Took it out for another ride this morning, and I'm delighted. It's funny, this bike is the opposite of my other bike in almost every way:
MTB/road; 26"x1.95"/700x28c; steel/aluminum; round tubing/aero tubing; 3x6 gears/single speed; chain/belt drive; no toe overlap/toe overlap; slack/track geometry; flat bars/drop bars; no fenders/fenders; synthetic saddle & grips/leather saddle & tape...

I posted this pics from today's ride in another thread, along with a couple of questions:

What recommendations do you have for fenders (the tires are 1.95" wide)? And any recommendations for bar ends that could be added to the existing handlebars?
Congrats on the great find! I really like my Planet Bike Cascadia fenders; not too expensive and you can choose between black and silver. They also make clip-on fenders if that's your jam. Next will be swept bars; I like Velo-Orange's Tourist bar, but there are a lot of good options these days.

(Imagine Emperor Palpatine) Heh. Heh. Heh. Welcome to the slack side of the Force.
Likes For Korina:
Old 10-24-23, 01:20 AM
swissycle

Originally Posted by cyccommute
That model and year of Giant didn’t come with Rapidfire shifters. It should have Shimano thumb shifters but it looks like those have been replaced. Thumb shifters are bomb proof and the cockroaches that take over from us will likely still be riding them. Here’s a picture from the catalog.
I wonder if the thumb shifters on mine are original but lost the caps (with the brand written on them) somewhere along the line?

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Don’t damn the bike with faint praise! That’s not a “gravel bike”. That is a fully capable mountain bike similar to the ones I rode in that era on trails that are still being ridden today by modern dual suspension wonder bikes.
Indeed! To be fair, those are own my limitations, not the bike's.
Old 10-24-23, 08:10 AM
cyccommute 

I wonder if the thumb shifters on mine are original but lost the caps (with the brand written on them) somewhere along the line?
Those don’t look like Shimano shifters at all. The body and levers on Shimano’s look like the ones in this article.

Likes For cyccommute: