Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

NorCal Racing thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-15, 05:54 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My goal is to ride the track in 2016.
Old 11-06-15, 08:49 AM
Impreza_aL

Bikes: yellow tricycle di2 grip shifters

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hack
Save your time and money and don't bother.
Old 11-06-15, 10:38 AM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Impreza_aL
Save your time and money and don't bother.
Ha ... It looks like fun though. Worst case, it's a Saturday wasted seeing what it's all about.
Old 11-06-15, 11:28 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Me too. We're trying to work out a day to take the Juniors. I think the kids will love it. (I've done it once and it was a blast.)
Old 11-08-15, 09:49 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
It's really fun. Also really frustrating, hard to take serious (compared to road), and kind of annoying on a weeknight after a long day at work. But still fun!
Old 11-09-15, 12:08 AM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Think I'll shoot for a weekend visit or try to get in with some of the guys looking to head down on occasional Wednesdays next year.
Old 11-09-15, 11:17 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
We were fortunate to have an aerial photographer show up for Saturday's session. She set up in the middle of the field and shot this video. Most of it was team pursuit (participants self selected teams) / pace line practice - one team launches off the back and another off the front and they chase each other for 2K. After the team pursuit was over, I put the group out as a peloton and had the same teams launch off the front and take a lap on the field. This gave the newbies a chance to ride in a peloton on the track and use the team tactics to lap the field. Later they did flying 200 meter sprints and then Australian pursuit. This was predicated by instruction and some contact drills - bumping and learning the old Madison exchange which is the push versus the modern sling. The push is to get riders used to riding and being able to do something else i.e. give their partner a push. This was all done at low speed first on the apron and then on the banking. All participants did a great job.

Video by Lauren

https://vimeo.com/145018943
Obviously @aaronmcd needs more challenge. Maybe something like this.

Last edited by Hermes; 11-09-15 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-09-15, 11:56 AM
Edonis13

Bikes: S-Works SL3 Tarmac, Allez E5, Leader 735TT, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would be nice if this got traction and became real within the next few years:

Sacramento Valley Velodrome Association
Old 11-09-15, 10:19 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Okay. I am new Hellyer track supervisor and I will be running the Saturday morning beginner session November 7th. Check out Northern California Velodrome Association calendar for details. Sooooo. Here is a chance for NorCal roadies to take advantage of the session and get supervised by yours truly. These sessions are designed as a skills session for beginners but experienced trackies are always welcome and I can always use the assistance and can make you a mentor if that is what you would like. However, the session is a good workout and we will do some racing albeit designed for beginners.

And there are no cars on the track, we only make left hand turns, there is only one gear and we do not have brakes. This is a great time of year to go to the track on a Saturday morning, if you are not racing the LKHC, and spin your legs and learn to ride the track.
When do the Saturday sessions end?
Old 11-10-15, 12:03 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
We were fortunate to have an aerial photographer show up for Saturday's session. She set up in the middle of the field and shot this video. Most of it was team pursuit (participants self selected teams) / pace line practice - one team launches off the back and another off the front and they chase each other for 2K. After the team pursuit was over, I put the group out as a peloton and had the same teams launch off the front and take a lap on the field. This gave the newbies a chance to ride in a peloton on the track and use the team tactics to lap the field. Later they did flying 200 meter sprints and then Australian pursuit. This was predicated by instruction and some contact drills - bumping and learning the old Madison exchange which is the push versus the modern sling. The push is to get riders used to riding and being able to do something else i.e. give their partner a push. This was all done at low speed first on the apron and then on the banking. All participants did a great job.

Video by Lauren

https://vimeo.com/145018943
Obviously @aaronmcd needs more challenge. Maybe something like this.

I approve of the music in last video. :-D

Too bad there is no indoor track in NorCal like there is in SoCal. :-(
Old 11-10-15, 12:42 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

When do the Saturday sessions end?
Saturday sessions run continuously throughout the year. Rain cancels. Supervisors change each week.

Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
I approve of the music in last video. :-D

Too bad there is no indoor track in NorCal like there is in SoCal. :-(
I really like the music too in the second video. Lauren did an amazing job on the video from Saturday but I would have preferred music that is a little more badass. Carson is the only indoor 250 m track in the USA. It is an amazing track to train and race on but Hellyer is a very cool facility and fun to ride.
Old 01-06-16, 09:55 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I am running and advanced structured training session at Hellyer on Saturday, January 9th, 2016, 12 pm – 3pm See Northern California Velodrome Association for details by clicking on the schedule

The goal of the session is to ride a lot of laps at track at varying intensities and will be a great way to get in some track miles to augment road miles. The wild card is the weather. Rain cancels the session so I will be following the forecast as we get closer to the time. I send out info on the NCVA list.

@mattm This has your name all over it.

This session will most likely not have a motor since my regular motor is out of town.

If you are not a cat 3 track or above and want to attend, send me your name, USAC license number and track experience and I will review it and can approve riders to attend.

This will be a structured endurance session that features working in teams and as a group with motor pacing as well as some non motor paced intervals. The goal is to build endurance and practice pace line and other skills. Final decision of the structure organization will be based upon rider attendance. This is not an open session but riders may opt in and out of efforts. There will be limited instruction and no rental bikes. Max gearing is 90 gear inches for efforts and warmup 80 gear inches or less. Suggestion is to use a smaller gear for the efforts and work on leg speed 84 to 90 gear inches. Aerobars or drop bars are acceptable and riders who have both may opt to bring them and switch depending on the efforts.

Group warm up starts at approximately 12:00PM with a 20 lap warmup and then the motor comes out to lead the warmup in a final 10 lap fast paced motor effort. Interval sessions follow and then the motor workouts. Motor workouts are in teams or groups versus individuals.

1. This session is open to Cat 3 track riders and above, or the approval or of the supervisor
2. No rental bikes with some exceptions such as an out of town rider
3. Motor pacing per the current motor pacing rules and rain or wet track cancels.

4. If we get a good turnout, we will do more sessions like this each month.

Cost: $5 Adults, $0 Juniors
Parking: $6

Required: County of Santa Clara Park & Rec & NCVA Waiver. Must be on-file or handed in at each session.
Old 01-06-16, 10:26 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Does sound like fun!

When does the moto come back?

my race videos
Old 01-06-16, 11:07 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Sounds great, I hope it doesn't rain!And if it's dry I hope I get the car!
Old 01-07-16, 12:14 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

The motor is out of town this weekend but back on Monday. I have two other sessions on the calendar but they are in the morning and open sessions but you can come to these as well. The motor will be there for those.

I put another structured session on the Calendar for Saturday March 12th and hopefully, my motor is available.
Old 01-07-16, 11:32 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

@mattm You have to get @Ygduf to the track. We could use him as the motor.
Old 01-07-16, 11:37 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
@Hermes you live north of me and probably ride the same size track bike. If it's dry and you promise I won't crash you can drive me down some day!
Old 01-07-16, 11:49 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Unfortunately, it looks like another system is arriving Saturday:

Old 01-07-16, 12:04 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Today, weather underground has rain early Saturday and then partly cloudy with 10% chance at 9AM. Due to the banking, the track dries quickly and it is safe to ride on it even when wet. We will not start the session if it is raining and or bad radar patterns. But if the rain is subsiding and clearing, we will run it and even if it rains during the session, we clear the track and after it stops, go back on. No big deal.
Old 01-07-16, 12:24 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Ygduf
@Hermes you live north of me and probably ride the same size track bike. If it's dry and you promise I won't crash you can drive me down some day!
Chauffeur my motor to the track....hmmm. Provide him with a track bike....hmmm. All possible.

You have to suffer at least one beginner session on Saturday morning to learn how to get on and off of the fixed gear bike and ride around the track. You can wait until I do another beginner session. In fact, you could ride my bike at the session since I have to stand around and watch everyone.

For new track riders, we require 3 beginner sessions. I am not sure about P/1 riders with extensive road racing experience. IMO, one beginner session is enough. They are designed for totally new riders that may or may not have any pack skills or racing experience.

From the website...Riders who are Pro or category 1 on the road may be upgraded to category 2 on the track and riders who are category 2 on the road may be upgraded to category 3 on the track without first having to begin at category 5, by
1) Passing a WRITTEN TEST (PDF) before participating in a race at Hellyer
2) Have the approval of a NCVA Board approved USA Cycling coach and NCVA Upgrade Committee.

I will promise not to crash you out but that is as far as I can go.
Old 01-07-16, 12:42 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I will promise not to crash you out but that is as far as I can go.
I've heard that before.

Let me know. I am interested to try it eventually.
Old 01-08-16, 11:46 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Ygduf
Only if you promise not to let go of the handlebars like Cavendish did.

Cavendish joins GB squad for team pursuit showdown with Team Wiggins - Cycling Weekly

Team Great Britain with Cavendish versus Team Wiggins. Besides falling while being held, Cav is gapped at the end.

#t=77
Old 01-08-16, 12:51 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I would get gapped badly in that situation.
Old 01-11-16, 04:00 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
CalAlgie crit at Wiliam Land Park. How sketchy is it in the winter? I am going to assume pavement will be damp/wet with wet leaves all over?
Old 01-11-16, 04:02 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Only as sketchy as any other race, I guess.

It hasn't been wet the last few years, no leaves, who knows about this year.

Just htfu and do it!

my race videos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.