Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 01-19-16, 03:48 PM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gtrob
Ontario races under a UCI license, so enforces UCI rules for track. Before each race you have to check in at bike check, they sometimes weigh the bike, they ALWAYS check the saddle and bars in a jig (takes about 30 seconds). Zero tolerance, Ive had to adjust a 3.2deg seat before, and push back a seat that was 2mm too far. Also a rollout for Jrs as they have gear restrictions.

almost all pass for mass start and sprint rules. Pursuit bars get most people the first time, people set them too long.
How are they with granting morphological exceptions? I was thinking about racing my steel bike this time, but it's only 2cm saddle tip to BB. I can pass KOPS on it, though.
Old 01-19-16, 04:12 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalai

<snip>On the track the one real benefit I've found it having data from my Pursuits to review and plan my training accordingly.<snip>
yuuuuup

Since you plan on using the trainer once you can confirm its accuracy then a Track PM could be a good thing. Not sure about the Rotor Track SRM, but be aware the SRM crankarmed Track cranks were not waterproof. Worth noting if you wanted to use outdoors in inclement weather. You can though actually change the crank arms if you want to have different lengths. My older cranks have the bolts accessible from the front and I did buy a set of 175mm arms with the intention to swap from the 170mm arms for pursuits. Since I've read a number of studies, but mostly couldn't be bothered so have stuck with the 170's for pursuiting and bunch races.

Another better valued track crank (not sure if waterproof) is the Power2Max units. Only downside IMO with the P2Max unit is you can't do a static calibration like an SRM to confirm the slope value is correct. This may not be an issue for you but I am disappointed this cannot be done otherwise they have been around a while now and I haven't heard of many issues since they started producing V2.
re: SRM track - Or say, you were taking a bus/exterior car rack to the track (a big issue for racers in the Portland/Seattle/Vancouver side of track racing), seasonally it will be for others as well.
The track power2max units are fully waterproofed- I had a chat w/ them about it. The guys I know who have them and are fussy about checking their PM calibration haven't noted any issues over 3 years now - i'd say they appear to be fine WRT long-term calibration.
Old 01-19-16, 05:49 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wens
There's a minimum length in the rules, but those saddles are mostly designed for fitting into the UCI 5 cm behind the bb rule, and so they're also over the minimum length.
The 5 cm rule does not apply to track sprinting per UCI rules (unless there is another invisible superseding change to the rules)

1.3.013 The peak of the saddle shall be a minimum of 5 cm to the rear of a vertical plane passing through the bottom bracket spindle. This restriction shall not be applied to the bicycle ridden by a rider in a sprint event on track (flying 200 m, flying lap, sprint, team sprint, keirin, 500 metres and 1 kilometre); however, in no circumstances shall the peak of the saddle extend in front of a vertical line passing through the bottom bracket spindle.
Old 01-19-16, 05:52 PM
wens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right, but the reason those saddles are manufactured is primarily to help road pros get legal tt positions.
Old 01-19-16, 07:28 PM
Impreza_aL

Bikes: yellow tricycle di2 grip shifters

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton
Further...

Slim sprinters have added advantages:

- They have to move less air.
- They draft much more effectively than larger riders.
- They provide much less draft for larger riders that are trailing them.
- The expend less energy throughout a tournament.
- They make less body heat (which leads to fatigue).
- They dissipate body heat much faster than if they had more muscle mass.

TRUST me. I've been on the wrong end of ALL of those before. When I race smaller guys I get NO draft whatsoever when I'm following and they get a crazy draft when they do. One of my main issues was longevity in a tournament. I'd qualify OK and my first 2 rounds would be solid, but after than, my energy fell off a cliff. I'd struggle to stay cool. Hot summer days were the worst.

granted he sat up as he saw me come around him... it's all about gettin low

i've lost about 16kg since i started riding/racing 2013. not only has dropping the weight helped on the hills but also my sprint/position. my power hasn't changed but my weight has dropped. last time i had a power meter i cracked a 1590w peak with a quarq and garmin 500. 15 sec was 1008w. i'll probably never hit those numbers at the end of a race though...

i also suffer from atrophied legs from all this road riding.

sorry for posting my road stuff in the trackie forum. the road racer sub forum are a bunch of freds

Last edited by Impreza_aL; 01-19-16 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-19-16, 07:29 PM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkWW
How are they with granting morphological exceptions? I was thinking about racing my steel bike this time, but it's only 2cm saddle tip to BB. I can pass KOPS on it, though.
They do the extra 5mm pursuit bars for tall people, but I have not heard/seen them do anything special otherwise. Maybe ocup they give some, I wouldn't risk the drive unless you think you can fit it though. Or email them, you should get a response
Old 01-19-16, 10:34 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkWW
my understanding is that one ME is readily granted. especially for shorter riders, saddle setback, and conventional positions on the bike.

but do you wanna risk it?

(you're probably fine though)
Old 01-19-16, 10:35 PM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Clearly I'll just have to bring two bikes. Such is life.
Old 01-20-16, 04:00 AM
jt_uk

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Further...

Slim sprinters have added advantages:

- They have to move less air.
- They draft much more effectively than larger riders.
- They provide much less draft for larger riders that are trailing them.
- The expend less energy throughout a tournament.
- They make less body heat (which leads to fatigue).
- They dissipate body heat much faster than if they had more muscle mass.
I went off and had a look at some of the slimmer riders as mentioned, Anastasia Voinova stood out, very slim and gets very low. The current world record holder for the 500m TT, she wrestles that bike up to speed out the gate. Although shes down the pack in the Keirin more often.
Old 01-20-16, 05:30 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dunderhi
I do like the pricing of Power2Max option. Is calibration an issue with these crankset-type PMs? More specifically, if you have calibratable unit, does it need much calibration?
All my SRM's have been bought secondhand, so any potential settling down has happened by the time I've got them.

Ideally nice to check the slope at least once a year, but mine have not budged so hasn't been critical. Easy enough to do though (I have a 20kg calibration weight +-4 grams I bought just for this) which offers confidence in the values from each unit.

Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
re: SRM track - Or say, you were taking a bus/exterior car rack to the track (a big issue for racers in the Portland/Seattle/Vancouver side of track racing), seasonally it will be for others as well.
The track power2max units are fully waterproofed- I had a chat w/ them about it. The guys I know who have them and are fussy about checking their PM calibration haven't noted any issues over 3 years now - i'd say they appear to be fine WRT long-term calibration.
Hadn't even thought of transporting outside. My bikes always go in the back of the car.

Good to know the power2max units are waterproof and have been stable, but if it did drift I do wonder what the process would be to update the unit?
Old 01-20-16, 10:49 AM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Good to know the power2max units are waterproof and have been stable, but if it did drift I do wonder what the process would be to update the unit?
dunno- lemme ask a guy.
Old 01-20-16, 02:43 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks. Not that I am looking right now, but if I was and couldn't find a used track SRM (which would be very likely as they rarely come up for sale) power 2max cranks would be my next pick.
Old 01-20-16, 03:02 PM
Trackliche

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone got a line on where to dig up a pair of track nut adapters for a Cateye Cyclosimulator?

TC
Old 01-20-16, 03:57 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Trackliche
Anyone got a line on where to dig up a pair of track nut adapters for a Cateye Cyclosimulator?

TC
I never found any.

I just let the clamp hold on the the bare track nut.

Do you have the problem where your axle is longer than your nut and it protrudes into the clamp? If so, just add a 2nd track nut to the end of it to cover up the axle. You'll look like you have BMX axle pegs...but it works
Old 01-20-16, 04:07 PM
Lunchbox27

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where is the best place or site to sell used or new track parts and bikes.
Old 01-20-16, 04:52 PM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunchbox27
Where is the best place or site to sell used or new track parts and bikes.
If you have a rare bike parts, I would recommend eBay.
Before you post something on eBay, don't forget about paypal fee and eBay fee.
Or you could try Craigslist and Pedalroom
Craigslist tips
-Never tell your email address(they will send you a fake invoice)
-Only accept paypal
-Check your paypal account when you receive the money
Old 01-20-16, 05:03 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by gycho77
If you have a rare bike parts, I would recommend eBay.
Before you post something on eBay, don't forget about paypal fee and eBay fee.
Or you could try Craigslist and Pedalroom
Craigslist tips
-Never tell your email address(they will send you a fake invoice)
-Only accept paypal
-Check your paypal account when you receive the money
+1

I personally like craigslist. But it only works well if you live in a major city with a big enough bike scene. I like quick local sales where I don't have to deal with shipping. On the other hand, I hate CL flakers...which seem to be on the rise lately. Ebay sorta deals with that when you get your money up front.

This is the winter in the US, so it may be harder to sell things because people aren't riding as much and aren't thinking about their bike projects 'til summer.

C
Old 01-20-16, 07:06 PM
Lunchbox27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have some chain rings and others in the classifieds but no hits. Also a few track based Facebook pages. Just making sure that I'm not asking too much or that I have stuff that is ****
Old 01-20-16, 08:49 PM
carleton
Elitist

I have some chain rings and others in the classifieds but no hits. Also a few track based Facebook pages. Just making sure that I'm not asking too much or that I have stuff that is ****
Yes, your prices are too high.

You (an unknown seller) are asking $80 for used chainrings that can be purchased new from a reputable retailer for $88...and the retailer probably offers free shipping if the order is big enough.

Used market values are generally 50-75% of retail prices.

Last edited by carleton; 01-20-16 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-20-16, 08:59 PM
Lunchbox27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh wow. Didn't realize that. I paid $115 for each of the chain rings. I'm not trying to make a mint just some of the money back and also hoping to get someone a ballin deal.
Old 01-20-16, 09:06 PM
carleton
Elitist

Oh wow. Didn't realize that. I paid $115 for each of the chain rings. I'm not trying to make a mint just some of the money back and also hoping to get someone a ballin deal.
Sorry, yeah. You are right. The black ones do cost more.

Your prices are fair then.

Maybe post them in the trade thread here if you are willing to trade them for bike stuff that you do need. Just don't mention cash.
Old 01-22-16, 11:24 AM
weavie

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's say I'm looking to run an 88 gear in. Is there any objective reason to use 49/15 instead of 46/14 or does it come down to personal preference?
Old 01-22-16, 11:42 AM
Koogar

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by weavie
Let's say I'm looking to run an 88 gear in. Is there any objective reason to use 49/15 instead of 46/14 or does it come down to personal preference?
I'll let someone else go over the theoretical differences in drivetrain efficiency and how some people can feel a difference between nominally equivalent gearing. I use 49/15 for a nominal 88 inches because I often run 49/14, so it saves me a chainring (I don't own a 46) and keeps the chain lengths closer.
Old 01-22-16, 12:25 PM
weavie

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear you, that's part of how this came up. There's definitely an efficiency of stuff.
Old 01-22-16, 01:37 PM
1incpa

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
46x14 was my go to gear for a couple of seasons. I'd switch out the chain ring if I wanted a bigger gear.

I've heard that the smaller cogs aren't as efficient, but never noticed any difference.

Paul

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.