Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rear Free Wheel with Quick Release Safe?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Rear Free Wheel with Quick Release Safe?

Old 06-29-19, 09:06 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Treker08
Thank you all for your input. To give you more context, I visited this bike shop about 3 years ago to get a new rear wheel for my 1994 Trek 800. Without my permission, they installed a solid axle wheel instead of quick release one that came with my bike.
Sounds like a "sell what you've got" scenario.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 06-29-19, 09:25 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
That is insane. A '94 Trek 800 is a mtb with freaking vertical dropouts and QR have been on widespread use for literally decades.

If they weren't just trying to justify selling you a cheap wheel, then the only explanation I can think of is that in the LBS world it is shockingly common for the owner to be a cranky old retrogrouch with some bizarre and objectively incorrect opinions that are based on absolutely nothing.

Oddly enough a lot of LBS are going out of business...
Old 06-29-19, 10:23 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
IMO, sounds like they are trying to sell you a more expensive bike. I have been road biking for 45+ years. All of it with quick release skewers. Never had a problem not due to my not tightening the skewer enough. Look at some video to get the correct way to use the QRs.
This was my first thought when I read the original post. That and they must be through axle fanbois.

The only downside of old QR freewheel hubs is you could bend an axle on cheaper hubs due to the narrower distance between bearing races compared to a freehub/cassette setup, especially as the freewheels got a bit wider. That could be cured with a higher quality axle. After a number of bent axles on my first Peugeot, the shop I bought it from put the axle and cones from a damaged Campy NR hub into the rear Normandy hub. Never bent again, and I still used the original Normandy QR skewer. (Still have that bike also) Proper QRs with internal cams put a much greater clamping force on the dropout even if horizontal, and if properly adjusted AND fully closed, do NOT move.
Old 06-30-19, 09:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
And an improvement on my Campag axles on the hubs I had, was Wheels Inc.

The heat treatment on mine from <C> may have been a little brittle-hard,
the Wheels control of the heat treatment process, a bit more fit for purpose..

Old 06-30-19, 10:10 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Typical of a bike shop employee who doesn't know his arse from a hole in the ground. I rode the same quality road bike (Motobecane Le Champion) for 30+ years and can never remember having either wheel come loose and that was in the days before they began to add "lawyers lips" to the fork ends to keep the wheel on in case the rider did not correctly tighten the QR.
Old 07-03-19, 01:52 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
Re. A QR axle being 'weaker' than a nutted axle: not really. Most of the strength is at the outer surface of the axle, and added material makes less and less difference as you get closer to the centre, and the QR skewer itself makes up for the material missing from the middle.

Sounds like the bike shop guy only had a wheel with nutted axle to sell and made up a reason.