Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Attaching Milk Crates

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Attaching Milk Crates

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-06, 09:27 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Eatadonut
+1, but I like the idea of using tie-downs better than bungees. Get some cheap cam-buckle tie-downs, they'll work just as well as bungees, and they won't rot. Also, if they snap in half, they'll just fall off, instead of rubberbanding into somewhere they shouldn't be.
True, a bungee (or a tie down ) that snaps/breaks apart could be a problem, but is one that seldom, if ever happens without showing obvious wear and tear long before any break. I have never experienced a bungee break apart from a hidden defect.
Old 07-02-06, 09:30 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Any load up high will affect the balance of the bike. That said consider
these baskets that clampe to your rack and fold flat when not in use.

https://www.bikeworldusa.com/cgi-bin/...&affiliate_id=

A much better solution to your needs while still leaving the top of the rack free for other use.

(P.S. this seller is a good person to buy from. I've found this seller to be honest in all that I've bought
from them. )

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 07-03-06, 08:35 AM
fillthecup
Kwisatz Haderach

Bikes: 1998 Nishiki Montana, 1972 Schwinn Super Sport, 2007 Trek 520

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the same folding racks that Tightwad suggested, and like them. But I got them for $15 each at my LBS, rather than $18.
Old 07-03-06, 05:58 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Tightwad
Any load up high will affect the balance of the bike.
Depends on how heavy the load, and how significant the affect on balance.

I had no problem with balance when biking the 6 miles from the WalMart with yesterday's load of 12 Litres of soda pop, with 2lbs of cheese, 5 rolls of film, and a loaf of bread in the white plastic bag. With my standard tool kit and cold beverages (for on the road refreshment) in the blue bag.

Click to enlarge

For larger shopping needs, I use the trailer/bike combo.
Old 07-03-06, 06:38 PM
propagandrew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My dr. thunder rides in WAY more style than yours...
Old 07-03-06, 06:47 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would want to file some notches in the bottom of the milk crate that match the rack it rests on. Once the notches are mated with the rack they will prevent any side slippage when the crate is bolted down. If you were considering stretch cords or straps so you could easily remove the crate, well gee just get standard panniers.
Old 07-04-06, 06:12 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by propagandrew

My dr. thunder rides in WAY more style than yours...
Yes you win in the style points but I can fix that.

Where are the helmets on those helpless passengers? I suspect soda pop abuse.
You drink soda pop from the evil empire? You foist it on others? I heard it might be inferior product bottled by underpaid wage slaves. I suspect abuse by soda pop. Where is my phone?
Old 07-17-06, 02:05 PM
bradchu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Staying with the grocery theme, what about "borrowing" a supermarket basket and attaching it to the rack? They are smaller/lower profile than a milk crate and have handles for easier removal. I may "research" this endeavor at the local grocery store this weekend.
Old 07-17-06, 03:22 PM
swwhite

Bikes: Trek 4300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tend to overdo things; mine is attached by bolting piece of 1x4 lumber to the rack through the holes in the rack platform, then attaching to the 1x4 a square of quarter-inch perforated hardboard (pegboard), then resting the crate on the pegboard and holding it to the pegboard with zip ties. Very secure, very heavy.

One day I had a load in the crate and was mounting the bike by standing on the left leg and swinging the right leg over, as one normally would. But, the left foot was a bit too close to the bike, and the bike started tipping to the left, toward me. It pushed me to the left over my balance point. I couldn't catch myself with the right leg because it was up in the air over the bike, and I couldn't move my left leg because all my weight was on it, so I fell to the ground to the left, twisting my foot severely. I was limping for a couple weeks.

So now, when I mount my bike with that crate on it. I place my left foot out to the left a bit farther than normal so I can't fall that way, lock both hand brakes so the bike can't move forward or back, and then step over with the right leg.

I chose the milk crate for cargo because I thought nothing defined a "utility bike" better than the classic milk crate, and because I thought a milk crate might "dorkify" the bike enough to reduce the risk of theft. If I were starting over again making a commuter bike, I might not go for the crate because of how it raises the center of gravity. I like the idea of those folding baskets, although I never have used them.
Old 07-21-06, 09:40 PM
cashew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about making the milk crates into panniers? The college kids here use square buckets that they bolt hardware straps to (to hook over the rack) then a bunge to secure the bottem. I think it could be done with milk crates too. I like the buckets 'cause they are really durable and the center of gravity is lower then with a crate on top of the rack.
Old 07-22-06, 04:29 AM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Wald baskets work great. I used to have some of the collapsible ones as pictured in a previous post.

These are huge.

https://cgi.ebay.com/Wald-535-Rear-Ba...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-22-06, 08:46 AM
Jessica
cut my gas use in half

Bikes: walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
homemade panniers

I made a set off water proof panniers using hooks bolts and nuts from the hardware store and Kitty litter buckets. Since I buy the kitty litter anyway, my cost was less than $5 ea. You can put large items over the top of them (like a large package of toilet paper) with a bungee or strap. If you are firm about buying rather than making, check it out.... Cobb is the name I think...