Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Finding your own "truisms" in cycling; the anti-internet-lifted-advice thread

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-09, 06:43 AM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I was just thinking about some of the "truths" about cycling I have read and heard over the years that really didn't pan out for me...or at least were not life-altering for me.

Some examples of these I have read more times than I can remember are:

Cotton kills
Wear a gore tex shell in the rain because it allows water vapor to escape, breathes, and is rainproof
Tight clothing doesn't flap in the wind, aids muscle contraction, and gives you an aero advantage
Wicking materials keep you from getting soggy, hypothermia, etc.
Get some low spoke count wheels to get faster!
Carbon forks deaden road vibration! (combined with advice to run 23mm tires at 120 psi )
Steel frames are heavy or flimsy or rust-prone or antiquated
Sora and Tiagra components are for beginners and shouldn't be used for hard or regular cycling, for regular cycling you need to step up into another $500 worth of shifters/deraillers.
Cycling specific sunglasses are totally worth the price because they sit higher on your head!
You need a jersey because you can store a banana in the huge rear pockets!

Anyone else run into this when first reading and learning about this hobby? I sure did, and really wish I would have had the wisdom at the time to ignore all this crap and just see what works on my own. I must admit that I "bit" on a lot of it at first without knowing any better
Old 10-30-09, 07:00 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gene2308
Anyone else run into this when first reading and learning about this hobby? I sure did, and really wish I would have had the wisdom at the time to ignore all this crap and just see what works on my own. I must admit that I "bit" on a lot of it at first without knowing any better
Well, it's not a hobby or a sport to me...it's just part of my life - and has been for most of my life. But based upon your recommendation of seeing what works best for me, let's review and see what does indeed work best for me:

Cotton kills
it sure does suck when wet.

Wear a gore tex shell in the rain because it allows water vapor to escape, breathes, and is rainproof
Pfft...I prefer a rain cape or a jacket with plenty of venting, if anything.

Tight clothing doesn't flap in the wind, aids muscle contraction, and gives you an aero advantage
True...if those are things that are important to you on a specific ride

Wicking materials keep you from getting soggy, hypothermia, etc.
well they can help to keep you drier and in the case of wool it can keep your body temp warmer when wet.

Get some low spoke count wheels to get faster!
faster than what?

Carbon forks deaden road vibration! (combined with advice to run 23mm tires at 120 psi )
They are better than aluminum forks...and running 23s at 120psi isn't as uncomfy as those with skinny-tire phobia would have you believe.

Steel frames are heavy or flimsy or rust-prone or antiquated
pfft

Sora and Tiagra components are for beginners and shouldn't be used for hard or regular cycling, for regular cycling you need to step up into another $500 worth of shifters/deraillers.
pfft

Cycling specific sunglasses are totally worth the price because they sit higher on your head!
pfft

I like having rear pockets

I think you've been listening to too many road racers and anti-road racers. That's the problems with noobs...they think they either need to be a total racer, or a total fred tourist. There is plenty of room in the middle.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Last edited by chipcom; 10-30-09 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-30-09, 07:06 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The only truism is that there is no truisms in cycling. Just 100 ways to accomplish the same thing.
Old 10-30-09, 07:30 AM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think you've been listening to too many road racers and anti-road racers. That's the problems with noobs...they think they either need to be a total racer, or a total fred tourist. There is plenty of room in the middle.
I wouldn't say I am as experienced as the late Ken Kifer and many, many other cyclists out there...but I have been a regular commuter and rider for about 5 years now....so I wouldn't say I am too new.

I began under the guidance of roadies, and probably am experiencing a backlash at this point to some degree...which surely influences my opinions.

Anways, I appreciate the replies folks! Good stuff .

Oh and the 120 psi thing I will have to "agree to disagree" with you on. I have an older road frame (old nashbar) with that exact set-up and find it obnoxious on I street SE in Washington D.C. Yeah, you can avoid a lot of it and "lighten up" over some of it, but still rough as hell compared to what I have now.

Last edited by TurbineBlade; 10-30-09 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-30-09, 07:55 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I wouldn't say I am as experienced as the late Ken Kifer and many, many other cyclists out there...but I have been a regular commuter and rider for about 5 years now....so I wouldn't say I am too new.

I began under the guidance of roadies, and probably am experiencing a backlash at this point to some degree...which surely influences my opinions.

Anways, I appreciate the replies folks! Good stuff .

Oh and the 120 psi thing I will have to "agree to disagree" with you on. I have an older road frame (old nashbar) with that exact set-up and find it obnoxious on I street SE in Washington D.C. Yeah, you can avoid a lot of it and "lighten up" over some of it, but still rough as hell compared to what I have now.
My La Raza with carbon fork and 700x23 GP4000S pumped up to 120+ rides as smooth as buttah! Of course at 240lbs, any lower pressure would probably result in pinch flats. But that's my road bike for doing the roadie thing...most of my other bikes run 32's at 75-85psi
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-30-09, 07:59 AM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I run my surly LHT with 37's at 60rear/55front -- super absorbent (like brawny)! I weigh 177, no pinch flats -- though I admit I notice it being a bit slower than my road bike.
Old 10-30-09, 08:07 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Hah! I like your list. Great list, and a great point.

Most of those truisms have a grain of truth somewhere, but that truth got blown up into some monumental statement that far overstates the case.

Cotton is a good case-in-point. It often is suboptimal for outdoor pursuits. And I'm sure it can lead to hypothermia under the right conditions. But where I ride, especially in summer, all that's going to happen is that I'll end up with a wet & soggy t-shirt that feels cold against my back when get into the van after a ride. I even wear cotton in winter sometimes. (The horror!). But when I do that, I'm never far enough from home to matter. I wouldn't wear cotton, for example, to climb Mt. Everest. But I won't die from wearing it for a six-block ride to the movie rental place.
Likes For JonathanGennick:
Old 10-30-09, 09:10 AM
Dave Armstrong
DelawareDave

Bikes: 3 mountian bikes 1 recumbent bike 1 racing bike 5 stingrays 1 hybrid 2 beach crusers 1 tandem and at least 6 more that are beyond description

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
strong, light, inexpensive, pick two
Old 10-30-09, 11:10 AM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
You must wear a helmet or YOU ARE GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kickstands are worse than useless.

Backpacks and bikes don't mix well.

Cyclists fare best when treated as drivers of vehicles at all times.

Cyclists fare best when they have their own segregated special accommodations and never ever mix with that horrible dangerous traffic.

And yeah, the "cotton kills" one. And the "wool continues to insulate when wet". Maybe it does, but I have not noticed much advantage.

Last edited by chephy; 10-30-09 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-30-09, 11:22 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chephy

And yeah, the "cotton kills" one. And the "wool continues to insulate when wet". Maybe it does, but I have not noticed much advantage.
that's cuz you wimminz have an extra layer of fat.

oh crap, did I just use the word fat in a reply to a gal? I'm f'ing dead, ain't I.
Old 10-30-09, 12:07 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,283 Times in 708 Posts
I was just thinking about some of the "truths" about cycling I have read and heard over the years that really didn't pan out for me
...[snip]...

So what didn't pan out for you? Can you not store a banana in the rear pocket of your jersey?
Old 10-30-09, 12:10 PM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
So what didn't pan out for you? Can you not store a banana in the rear pocket of your jersey?
Nope, it never really worked for me. It would always fall out (due to my upright riding position) and cause catastrophic MUP accidents not unlike Super Mario Kart.
Old 10-30-09, 12:19 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Nope, it never really worked for me. It would always fall out (due to my upright riding position) and cause catastrophic MUP accidents not unlike Super Mario Kart.
Dude, you must have a BIG banana!
Old 10-30-09, 01:39 PM
rando

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmets are necessary.
you need to have special shoes, clothes, etc.
Brooks saddles are the greatest thing for your butt
Don't be a wuss, get out there in the road with the 45 mph traffic

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 10-30-09, 02:09 PM
Thor29

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a great example of the herd mentality in cycling - messenger bags.
I see so many commuters using them even though the assymetrical loading on your body is inevitably going to cause pain. Nobody seems to have heard of these ancient devices called "racks" that allow the bike to carry the load. At least the messenger bag companies have finally introduced backpack style messenger bags...
Old 10-30-09, 02:13 PM
coffeecake
Blocking your fire exits

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still have the pie plates on 2/3 of my bikes. I used to get all worried about what other people would think, then I stopped caring. Am too lazy to take them off, and with my luck would probably break something in the process.
Old 10-30-09, 03:18 PM
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You clothes can't get wet if you aren't wearing any.
Old 10-30-09, 03:48 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Here are two guaranteed to stir the pot:

1. Bikes Direct bikes are the best quality bikes there are, and their service is top notch.
2. Bikes Direct bikes are rolling junk and purchasing one will put your LBS out of business.

Old 10-30-09, 05:07 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
At 61, I just feel better about everything when I work these old bones several times a week. bk
Old 10-30-09, 06:01 PM
billyymc

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Don't trust whitey.

Old 10-30-09, 07:17 PM
Bikewer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Consider that cycling has been going strong since the late 1800s, and the progression of equipment and techniques have been pretty rigorously studied.
Cycling-specific clothing (lycra shorts, jerseys, gloves, etc.) exist because they work better than old blue jeans, sweatshirts, and the like. Sure, you can disdain the stuff if you like... But for the most part cyclists are the most function-conscious folks around.
Just like any other activity, there are gadget-weenies who want to buy the latest and greatest thing to come along...But for the most part the stuff on the market is there because it works.

Also, a "cyclist" can be everything from the guy who tools around the block with his kids on Sunday to the hard-core pro road racer who eats Alps for breakfast.
Lot of room there for many different strokes....

Try telling a Merlin pilot that his steel frame is outmoded....
Old 10-31-09, 12:14 AM
grimace308
crash 5

Bikes: 90s? serotta t-max, 09' planet x ti frame w/sram force, '10 Bianchi Volpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
clipless pedals are dangerous in crashes
fat guys cant ride wheels made of anything less than 36h 4x 14g steel rims
i look good in lycra
spin classes are enough in the winter
lights at night are just something for drivers to aim at
cars are coffins
Old 10-31-09, 08:26 AM
kjmillig

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, I'm one of those in-the-middle people. Not a total Fred, but not going to spend every penny on expensive stuff either. I buy/use what's useful to me and just ride.
Old 10-31-09, 10:42 AM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Truisms are a bit like stereotypes in that there is a reason for both, but they aren’t absolutes
Old 10-31-09, 10:52 AM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Clipless pedals are not dangerous in crashes. Clips are.
God knows I have crashed enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.