Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Karoo Hammerhead GPS

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Karoo Hammerhead GPS

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-18, 09:26 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
^^^ I would love to know this as well-- I'm also on Verizon, and haven't found a pre-paid SIM that I want to spend the money on yet. I've seen a few guys that have gone with the $99 a year SIM option, but I'm hoping more for something with a "pay as you go" option. For now, I've just been using my phone's WiFi Hotspot for away-from-home uploads.
How does that work out in practice?

I do this occasionally to update software on my watch. It's painfully slow.
Old 04-10-18, 10:51 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I haven't tried to use the HotSpot for any sort of firmware update, just for activity uploads-- and FIT files are quite small, so the upload is done in a few seconds.
Old 04-10-18, 10:53 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Have you tried downloading any maps through the hot spot?

My plan is to use the hotspot while touring in europe to download maps, sync units with the dashboard, and upload rides. My guess is that should work and only take a few minutes.

J.
Old 04-26-18, 09:15 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
So, I finally got an opportunity to test out my Karoo in the 'real world' on a 500+ mile cycling journey across Texas with 150+ of my fellow disabled Veterans and I have to say it performed remarkably well. I had no issues with it.. it was easy to use, accurate, clear to read in all conditions.. it even survived a 4 hours ride in a severe rainstorm.. I love it.

I was able to use my phone as a wifi hotspot and the upload of my activities only took a few seconds.. and I was even able to apply a software update the same way.
I've got no complaints. Money well spent
Old 04-26-18, 09:21 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Yeah, rock-solid since the last update, I haven't had a single issue. The updated auto-pause reacts more quickly than my Garmin. I dunno what trickery they're doing with the software, but with every update battery life has gotten better. I've had a couple of rides at 7-8% draw per hour-- and I still refuse to turn adaptive brightness off.

I also have a FreedomPop SIM installed, seems to work fine. I have to leave cellular data off except for uploads, though-- because the "free" SIM uses little tidbits of data constantly, around 1MB of data a day, and I don't think that's an accident. No such thing as free, as they say. Uploads are blazingly fast, though. Worth the 15 bucks.
Old 10-16-18, 11:13 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Is there a silicon case?
Old 10-17-18, 08:46 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

I've seen a couple people use things like silicone wristbands wrapped around to act as a sort of bumper-- but I haven't seen any actual direct-fit protective cases.

As a side note, the latest software "update," oof. I've been in the Advanced Testing Group for a few months now, and this latest software is rough.

But they're still at it, and constantly updating, so it's all good. The battery on the "backup" Edge 520 is getting pretty long in the tooth, it's been charged so many times it gets about the same battery life as the Karoo, with 1/3 the screen size, no maps, no SIM, and the backlight off.
Old 10-17-18, 08:50 AM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I haven't seen any cases yet, but here's what I "CAN" Say. I had a REALLY nasty accident back in June and my bike was wrecked and that Hammerhead doesn't have a speck of damage anywhere. LOL I don't know how that happened, but it's still flawless. DrIsotope is right, our latest software update isn't awesome, but in general, the device really is fantastic. I don't regret my purchase one bit and I know they'll iron out the bugs in the next release.. and frankly, I don't care because it's too cold for me to ride outside anyways, lol
Old 10-17-18, 08:55 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

They seem to get the software right about 50% of the time-- whenever something gets added/fixed, something else gets broken. They were doing the work on the ANT+ protocol to allow stuff like power meter calibration, and now all of my sensors drop at some point during every ride, and never pick back up. But the new ATG software comes out tomorrow, so no big deal. They say it's fixed.

Still works as a map, which is what I use the thing for 90% of the time anyway. My ability to do rides where I never put a foot down is 100% courtesy of the Karoo.
Old 10-17-18, 11:36 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
They seem to get the software right about 50% of the time-- whenever something gets added/fixed, something else gets broken. They were doing the work on the ANT+ protocol to allow stuff like power meter calibration, and now all of my sensors drop at some point during every ride, and never pick back up. But the new ATG software comes out tomorrow, so no big deal. They say it's fixed.

Still works as a map, which is what I use the thing for 90% of the time anyway. My ability to do rides where I never put a foot down is 100% courtesy of the Karoo.
Looks like the new rev will have Android standard ANT+ driver support which should open the door to all sorts of interesting things.

J.
Old 10-17-18, 12:57 PM
Elvo

What do you guys use the 9 gb of space for? I downloaded the entire metropolitan LA area and it only took like 100 mb.
Old 10-17-18, 02:50 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Elvo
What do you guys use the 9 gb of space for? I downloaded the entire metropolitan LA area and it only took like 100 mb.
The plan is to eventually add an android app store. You can already side load apps using the Android tools. So, for example, I have both Osmand and Komoot for applications, a weather radar application, a podcast player and a communications app (Zello). What you see is the beginning of what had planned for roadmap.

Also, map size varies with quality.

J.
Old 10-18-18, 10:29 AM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Does anyone with a Hammerhead know if the Karoo works with the Shimano di2 wireless Unit?

My current bike has the 9070 and It would be fantastic if I could display battery life, etc. on my Karoo.
Thanks!
Old 10-18-18, 03:25 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

They certainly haven't added it yet, but the most recent software introduced a battery gauge for power meters, which is a step in the right direction.
Old 10-18-18, 07:22 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by motosonic
Does anyone with a Hammerhead know if the Karoo works with the Shimano di2 wireless Unit?

My current bike has the 9070 and It would be fantastic if I could display battery life, etc. on my Karoo.
Thanks!
If you mean displaying gear position and shifting information, then the answer is"no." It's on the roadmap scheduled for implementation by next year. They have a community forum where this was discussed.

J.
Old 10-18-18, 08:07 PM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
If you mean displaying gear position and shifting information, then the answer is"no." It's on the roadmap scheduled for implementation by next year. They have a community forum where this was discussed.

J.
Awesome! and yes! I haven't really been on their forums in a while. Been incapacitated from a crash, so just now really getting back into action. Just in time to put the bike away for the winter.
Old 10-20-18, 10:56 PM
Elvo

This screen protector works perfectly but only covers the actual display and not the entire bezel. I imagine any 3.5" screen protector will work fine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MEMOREX-GPS...53.m2749.l2649
Old 10-21-18, 09:07 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Elvo
This screen protector works perfectly but only covers the actual display and not the entire bezel. I imagine any 3.5" screen protector will work fine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MEMOREX-GPS...53.m2749.l2649
It's not a standard 3.5" cellphone display. It's kind of square-ish.