Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peugeot PF60? Expertise

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Peugeot PF60? Expertise

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-17, 06:31 PM
KALI4NIADREAMN

Bikes: Peugeot PF60, Mountain dew mountain bike, Mongoose BMX, Coca-Cola Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peugeot PF60? Expertise

Hello everyone I'm new here so bare with me here , so I have recently gotten back into and rather excitedly into bike since childhood early teens and i just recently picked up a Peugeot (one of my fave bike manufacture) anyways I've been doing some research and got the bug to restore one of these and or find a ready to ride one and my journey starts with what i believe to be an 83 PF69 (based on the sticker at the bottom of the frame correct me if I'm wrong). I would like any and all input word is there are some Peugeot Experts around here and i would really appreciate all your input thanks for your time and fire away links pics suggestions all related to this bike(or similar ones) parts decals experiences are game thanks again and im looking forward to learning everything i can about this bike!!
Peugeotpf60.JPG

IMG_5542.jpg

IMG_5549.jpg
Old 11-08-17, 08:46 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
Hello everyone! I'm new here so bear with me. So, I have recently gotten back into (and rather excitedly) biking for the first time since childhood/early teens. I just recently picked up a Peugeot (one of my fave bike manufacture). Anyways, I've been doing some research and got the bug to restore one of these and/or find one ready to ride. My journey starts with what I believe to be an '83 PF69 (based on the sticker at the bottom of the frame- correct me if I'm wrong).

I would appreciate any and all input- are there any Peugeot experts around here? I would really appreciate any and all advice, and thanks for your time. Fire away all links/pics/suggestions related to this bike(or similar ones). Information regarding parts/decals, and experience with these bikes are game. Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to learning everything i can about this bike!!

I rewrote it with some more punctuation to make it easier to read. Good luck with your project! Unfortunately, I know nothing about Peugeots.
Old 11-08-17, 09:49 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
You have two Zefal Doohickeys on your seat tube. I call 'em "bolt-on braze-ons" and they can be very handy. No specific bike info on that model, although I was a Peugeot rep in the late '80s. Give us photos from the drive side.

Crank is probably a Peugeot-branded Stronglight 99 from their touring oriented Vagabond. I got one of those for my wife's MTB build back in '83.

Last edited by thumpism; 11-08-17 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-09-17, 05:28 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Very nice and welcome to BF!

Check out this page from the USA catalog:

https://bikeboompeugeot.com/Brochures...re%20PF60D.jpg

Or from the French catalog:

https://bikeboompeugeot.com/Brochures...oomPeugeot.JPG

That website has catalogs from other countries too.

For the PFN10 I just built up I used Spidel brakes, and they are quite nice. I also found those same shift levers as your bike has. They are paired up with original style Simplex derailleurs and the shifting is smooth.
Old 11-09-17, 07:10 AM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
Welcome to the site and the dialogue! A couple of things about your Peugeot. The Simplex downtube lever screws and bosses have an old spec M5 x 1.0 thread that differs from the M5 x 0.8 threading that is used on most other modern lever tightening screws. If you switch lever brands or switch to Retrofriction levers you will need to keep the current, old style screws (which may not be long enough) or tap out the braze-ons to M5 x 0.8.

As well, your early 80s Peugeot may have a Helicomatic rear hub. This rather polarizes opinions around here due to its unique engineering. If it is a Helicomatic, you will need a special rear cluster lock ring remover (with a bonus built-in bottle opener considered a necessity by some aggravated mechanics). You will then need to remove the rear cluster and repack the bearings with grease and replace the undersize rear hub bearings with, at least, new Grade 25 quality new ball bearings. Helicomatics are very sensitive to bearing quality and over tightening of the bearing adjustment. Some even prefer to replace the hub and rebuilt the rear wheel with a freehub cassette system.

Nonetheless, it's a lovely looking Peugeot with a nearly full French parts spec, so nice score (especially the JPR seatpost)!
Old 11-09-17, 07:55 AM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bertinjim
As well, your early 80s Peugeot may have a Helicomatic rear hub. This rather polarizes opinions around here due to its unique engineering. If it is a Helicomatic, you will need a special rear cluster lock ring remover (with a bonus built-in bottle opener considered a necessity by some aggravated mechanics). You will then need to remove the rear cluster and repack the bearings with grease and replace the undersize rear hub bearings with, at least, new Grade 25 quality new ball bearings. Helicomatics are very sensitive to bearing quality and over tightening of the bearing adjustment. Some even prefer to replace the hub and rebuilt the rear wheel with a freehub cassette system.
Locking plyers work fine for taking off the lockring. Bigger problem is the cluster often sticks tight after 30 years, the easiest cure being to ride around without a lockring until it comes loose.
Old 11-09-17, 08:01 AM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Cute Boy Horse-

Right your are about the lock ring pliers but be oh, so gentle. The Helicomatic lock rings I have experience are aluminium and can bend very easily or break if really torqued. Good info about the cluster sticking. One thing about the Helicos is that they usually just rotate off without the grief you get from standard screw on freewheels.
Old 11-09-17, 08:03 AM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 197 Posts
Give us a drivetrain side shot! I think that you will find that to be a fine riding machine.....Welcome to the Peugeot fraternity...
Old 11-09-17, 04:34 PM
KALI4NIADREAMN

Bikes: Peugeot PF60, Mountain dew mountain bike, Mongoose BMX, Coca-Cola Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input so far here are some pics of the drive side....also i found two additional frames almost complete just missing the front tires and seat posts I believe that I will be picking up later and will post pics when I get them. You cant tell from this picture (will try to get a better one later) but the smaller gear in the front is all bent almost as if it were smashed and put a small dent in the frame, maybe one of the other bikes will have a gear I can salvage

drive 1.JPG

drive2.JPG

here are the other ones I'm picking up

peugeot241.JPG
Old 11-10-17, 08:21 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by KALI4NIADREAMN
Thanks everyone for your input so far here are some pics of the drive side....also i found two additional frames almost complete just missing the front tires and seat posts I believe that I will be picking up later and will post pics when I get them. You cant tell from this picture (will try to get a better one later) but the smaller gear in the front is all bent almost as if it were smashed and put a small dent in the frame, maybe one of the other bikes will have a gear I can salvage

Attachment 588204
Different bolt pattern on those other two bikes, so, no dice on just swapping in a new ring from them. The BCD (bolt circle diameter) is what counts here, and the one on your triple is a bit of an odd size, 86mm, I think. Do a google on how to measure BCD on bicycle cranks and it will become more clear if 86mm BCD is what you need. Then if decide you want to replace it, you can find them at Spa Cycles or Boulder Bicycle, probably.

BTW, that long cage derailleur is worth some money on 3bay, so if you decide you don't like it, save it for selling, don't toss it.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 11-11-17 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-11-17, 07:38 AM
bertinjim 

KALI4NIADREAMN-

Your Stronglight 99 crankset has been modified. The self-extracting crankset fixing bolt is not a stock feature. As well, when you speak of "...the smaller gear in the front is all bent almost as if it were smashed and put a small dent in the frame..." are you speaking of the smallest front chainring? If so, your problem could be the two missing chainring fixing bolts on either side of the crank arm. This will allow the chainring to wobble, especially when under load as you pedal.