Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

7200 Lumen Lupine Alpha Road Light

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

7200 Lumen Lupine Alpha Road Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-18, 02:50 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
The Lupine Alpha's pricepoint is so far beyond the point of diminishing returns, you couldn't see the point with all 7,200 lumens available to you. There are a number of top quality choices ~4,000lm for ~$350 (like the Exposure lights mentioned in another thread.)

Also worthy of mention, I've noticed that lights sold as "road bike headlights" are not offered above 1500lm, with most sitting at 1100-1200lm. Legality, perhaps?
I think that someone buying a 1300 light is not looking at any price point, at least I was not and no regrets here on all of my Lupine lighting to include some awesome flashlights too
Old 10-19-18, 02:56 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Lupine Flashlights also

LUPINE also makes some fine high quality LED Flashlights that are just fantastic..
Old 10-19-18, 03:27 PM
trekmogul 

Old 10-19-18, 03:47 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Are 7,000 lumens street legal? Or even trail legal? Do you have any consideration for fellow trail/path/street users?
Old 10-19-18, 03:52 PM
trekmogul 

Originally Posted by radroad
Are 7,000 lumens street legal? Or even trail legal? Do you have any consideration for fellow trail/path/street users?
When riding at 0345am 7 days a week on the MUPS, I have yet to run across any other cyclist at all, have no idea if there is any LUMEN Allowlance on the MUP but never heard of any. 0345AM is not for your sunny sunday afternoon rider...
Old 10-19-18, 04:17 PM
radroad

Originally Posted by trekmogul
When riding at 0345am 7 days a week on the MUPS, I have yet to run across any other cyclist at all, have no idea if there is any LUMEN Allowlance on the MUP but never heard of any. 0345AM is not for your sunny sunday afternoon rider...
Fair enough. What is the purpose of this thread however? Is it a review of the light? You offer no subjective impressions of any kind, nor is there any objective information such as photos or video with which to evaluate the light.

The more people ask for this type of information, which I think is perfectly valid, the more hostile and evasive you become. It strikes some as an attempt to garner attention and stir up an argument without any attempt to offer real information so forum members can evaluate the product. Your only response has been f--- off and go to inter bike.
Old 10-19-18, 05:22 PM
Kahsyrbag

Bikes: J.C. Higgins Freightliner built between 1958-1963, 1985 Mongoose City Bike, Sear & Roebucks Ted Williams Signature Series Free Spirit mid 70s, 2005 Schwinn Stingray Stealth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless
The image shows eight fat cables going somewhere, my assumption is to a stationary power source, w/ a large spool to permit bicycle movement over an acceptable range.

Alternately, are the two 30W lamps operated for a very short duration, is a car battery part of the mobile setup, or is some fuel-powered generator on-board to create electrical power?
My bikes main power comes from a 60V 35AH 2100 watt hour lithium, those cables are coming from the main control panel, I only have to charge it once a month.
Old 10-19-18, 05:53 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Fair enough. What is the purpose of this thread however? Is it a review of the light? You offer no subjective impressions of any kind, nor is there any objective information such as photos or video with which to evaluate the light.
The OBD-esque purpose appears to be to seek attention and discuss how much $$ he has spent on lights to ride on MUPs.
Old 10-19-18, 06:45 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Fair enough. What is the purpose of this thread however? Is it a review of the light?

Just do a search for trekmogul threads. This is par for the course. The LIGHTWEIGHT threads were entertaining for a good while.
Old 10-19-18, 07:43 PM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Kahsyrbag
My bikes main power comes from a 60V 35AH 2100 watt hour lithium, those cables are coming from the main control panel, I only have to charge it once a month.
Yes, that headlight creates massive illumination and that 23 lb 60V 35Ah battery is massive, larger than most car batteries.
Old 10-19-18, 10:07 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
The funniest part is using 7,000 lm to light up a freaking MUP. I ride on country roads in the middle of the night with zero ambient light, curves and quick descents, and 700lm is more than enough. I don't need a coming attraction mega search light that turns night into day.
Old 10-20-18, 10:19 AM
Todd@Lupine

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

Reading through this thread and it seems like there are a lot of questions that I would happily answer. I can also provide my first hand experience with the new Lupine Alpha and experience with all previous iterations of Lupine lamps and batteries. I will also state that I primarily ride mtb vs road, but during my first ride with Alpha I bombed down the steepest longest road in town on my enduro bike to attempt to out run the light while maintaining an average speed of 35mph. I could not out run this light.

First impression review,

I rode the light on "out of the box settings" to see what that would be like as I can expect a lot of people doing that first, so I wanted to mimic that experience. Also I didn't read the manual yet.. The stock settings are pretty awesome, the stock low was more than enough for general climbing and medium/high was enough just to ride with. I love the new remote, being able to turn the light on at low or medium from off is really cool. That feature wasn't clear till I messed with it for a bit.

The high setting. Definitely cycles down quickly. My first run down was Horeshoe,12 (tight twisty technical single track) and started out on high but the trail was super slick and the fog was very dense so I wasn't going nearly as fast as potential. By the time I got to the bottom it had backed down about 4 blue dots from full. This decrease in light was expected and even at a lower setting it was still plenty bright for conditions.

Next Dh run was 9, (very high speed, rough, rocky) I started on high on a faster run, got to that little rise just before you can turn right to hit 9-5 which was the only place I could look down and all blue dots were still on. But by the time I crossed the finish (crossing 5) it had backed down 2 blue dots from full, and I was carrying pretty good speed down that trail. The slight decrease from high did not effect vision of the trail. Side note I've contested the KOM on this segment and have held it for 4 years now.

Following DH run, climbed up to Peak 2 and went right towards 12 (very fast very steep rocky DH). Started and finished on full High, and even pulled a PR for 3rd overall without trying. The distance and beam spread is amazing, it really allows to see way further ahead of where you're going. Made me feel faster at night than day.

The images attached show low, medium, high all taken back to back from the same spot. The images just don't do justice to how far and wide this beam is. I then went down Pinch from the top (road I had earlier stated) with High on as fast as I possibly could, averaging 35mph down Pinch and the beam was always way out in front.

It should be noted that this first ride impression was conducted during a very foggy night where the top of the mountain had considerable fog.

Also set up custom level using the app last night which I think will be better for the scenarios I will put this thing through.

Another point in regards to road riding, Alpha has RVLR mode so as not to blind oncoming traffic and it’s all about the lens focusing. This can be set up using the app in any setting.

Another impression I got from this light which I tried to explain on social media. This light is not for everyone, this is the light the guy buying a $7-9k bike is getting. It's not just another bright Lupine, this is a serious light. The fact that it requires a non-standard battery and charger along with a remote being the only way to activate the light builds to this concept. I see this as a flagship to help promote the other models. A lot like when a bike company brings out that $9k bike and everyone drools over it, but has an offering for less but still packs a lot of value. This is how this light should be marketed, it's not for everyone unless you want absolutely no compromise riding.
Old 10-20-18, 10:24 AM
Todd@Lupine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Alpha has a RVLR mode so as not to blind oncoming traffic.
Old 10-20-18, 10:46 AM
Todd@Lupine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless
Not to say the OP needs this headlight, but this is far from bling.

Every part looks to be well-designed, engineered and implemented.

This is the headlight to select when cost really is not an issue.
Very good point made here, this is not just bling. The effort involved in engineering every part of this light most specifically the lens is to create a NO COMPROMISE system. I've compared this Lupine model to the (FRO) For Race Only type bikes.
Old 10-20-18, 10:54 AM
Todd@Lupine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure, but he's posted so many photos already, what's one more of the actual light in use? I suppose it could lead to a lot of criticism, either because a) it doesn't work as well as some people thought it would given the lumens rating, or b) it does work as well as they thought it would creating a safety hazard for cyclists and pedestrians in the opposite lane.

Personally speaking, 300 lumens is very effective as a night time light, although I could understand why some would want more, up to 700-1,000 even. I could not conceive of a practical use for 7,000 lumens light however. Perhaps during a blizzard with zero visibility? Probably not a good time to be riding in such conditions I would assume however.

Consideration for fellow bike and pedestrian trail users is an important factor. I think even drivers could be distracted which would pose a significant safety issue. Perhaps he will use it at the very lowest setting (3,000 lumens?) and never have to recharge? To me, a 7,000 lumens light is just asking for trouble and almost certainly a safety hazard for everyone unfortunate enough to cross this rider's path.
The Alpha and some other Lupine Lights have a RVLR mode so as not to blind oncoming traffic. You can also customize light levels by adjusting wattage per setting level, which a RVLR setting could be selected as a level. So when being faced with oncoming traffic or other users the light can be dimmed to a lower output or RVLR and save the 7200 lumens for when there is no one else on the road and you are riding at max speed.
Old 10-20-18, 11:02 AM
Todd@Lupine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
Again...not about others, or the details of the product. This is literally a "I paid a ton of money for a bike light, give me likes" thread. It's a IG model posting a picture of her butt thread.

You are of course 100% right. I thought I read somewhere in this thread that OP was planning to use this on the MUP. If some guy came at me with a 7,000lm light on a 10' wide bike path, I'd probably start yelling expletives at him, chase him down and ask him WTF are you thinking?! Of course this is massive overkill, I have no idea the intended use of this light, other than perhaps if you were a DH mtb racer on an extreme course, and the race was held at midnight on a closed course.
7200 lumens on a 10' bike path is overkill, and any user with this light on a bike path would most likely use a lower output setting as they themselves would see it being overkill. The 7200 comes into play when you are moving at max speed, whether that be on road or off. I am actually a pro level DH/Enduro racer and do push the brightest settings on our local trails. Do I run a lower setting while climbing or riding a trail that does not require full power, most definitely.
Old 10-20-18, 02:31 PM
radroad

Originally Posted by Todd@Lupine
The Alpha has a RVLR mode so as not to blind oncoming traffic.
What about fellow cyclists or pedestrians on a multi use trail?

Even 400+ lumens can be a safety hazard as I shield my eyes and so do others when facing bike lights at night.

Also, are you aware of regulations in the US or other countries regarding max lumens? Even if opposing automobile traffic, cyclists or pedestrians are not blinded, they may still find the intensity so high as to be distracted which could create a safety hazard.

I'm glad you are posting here as some of your customers are giving your product a rather poor image. Finally, do you have any demo videos or even photos illustrating how well these lights work? It seems like this thread has become rather pointless otherwise, with no real evidence of how well the lights work.
Old 10-20-18, 02:48 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts

Even 400+ lumens can be a safety hazard as I shield my eyes and so do others when facing bike lights at night.

Also, are you aware of regulations in the US or other countries regarding max lumens? Even if opposing automobile traffic, cyclists or pedestrians are not blinded, they may still find the intensity so high as to be distracted which could create a safety hazard.

I'm glad you are posting here as some of your customers are giving your product a rather poor image. Finally, do you have any demo videos or even photos illustrating how well these lights work? It seems like this thread has become rather pointless otherwise, with no real evidence of how well the lights work.
That's kind of an unfair question, don't you think? After all, cars come with high beams too, but that doesn't mean motorist get to use them anywhere or time they please. Its still an operator's responsibly to know the law, and to use the capabilities of his equipment responsible. This is no different for cyclist.
Old 10-20-18, 02:56 PM
trekmogul 

Surely you can demo one to see if it fits your "NEEDS" from a Lupine dealer..? So owning one of these is giving it a bad rap..? NAHHHH I do not think so...All you do is run it at 400 Lumens and you have no worries or issues with the law or anyone for that matter.. great light and for USD$1300.00 you can snag one from LUPINE USA as that's what I did.. I give it a thumbs up...
Old 10-20-18, 02:57 PM
trekmogul 

7200 lumens on a 10' bike path is overkill, and any user with this light on a bike path would most likely use a lower output setting as they themselves would see it being overkill. The 7200 comes into play when you are moving at max speed, whether that be on road or off. I am actually a pro level DH/Enduro racer and do push the brightest settings on our local trails. Do I run a lower setting while climbing or riding a trail that does not require full power, most definitely.

All we do is run it on low and kick it up when needed.. Awesome light and been waiting for it for over a year to update all my Betty 5000 Lumen units...
Old 10-20-18, 03:06 PM
radroad

Hello,

Reading through this thread and it seems like there are a lot of questions that I would happily answer. I can also provide my first hand experience with the new Lupine Alpha and experience with all previous iterations of Lupine lamps and batteries. I will also state that I primarily ride mtb vs road, but during my first ride with Alpha I bombed down the steepest longest road in town on my enduro bike to attempt to out run the light while maintaining an average speed of 35mph. I could not out run this light.

First impression review,

I rode the light on "out of the box settings" to see what that would be like as I can expect a lot of people doing that first, so I wanted to mimic that experience. Also I didn't read the manual yet.. The stock settings are pretty awesome, the stock low was more than enough for general climbing and medium/high was enough just to ride with. I love the new remote, being able to turn the light on at low or medium from off is really cool. That feature wasn't clear till I messed with it for a bit.

The high setting. Definitely cycles down quickly. My first run down was Horeshoe,12 (tight twisty technical single track) and started out on high but the trail was super slick and the fog was very dense so I wasn't going nearly as fast as potential. By the time I got to the bottom it had backed down about 4 blue dots from full. This decrease in light was expected and even at a lower setting it was still plenty bright for conditions.

Next Dh run was 9, (very high speed, rough, rocky) I started on high on a faster run, got to that little rise just before you can turn right to hit 9-5 which was the only place I could look down and all blue dots were still on. But by the time I crossed the finish (crossing 5) it had backed down 2 blue dots from full, and I was carrying pretty good speed down that trail. The slight decrease from high did not effect vision of the trail. Side note I've contested the KOM on this segment and have held it for 4 years now.

Following DH run, climbed up to Peak 2 and went right towards 12 (very fast very steep rocky DH). Started and finished on full High, and even pulled a PR for 3rd overall without trying. The distance and beam spread is amazing, it really allows to see way further ahead of where you're going. Made me feel faster at night than day.

The images attached show low, medium, high all taken back to back from the same spot. The images just don't do justice to how far and wide this beam is. I then went down Pinch from the top (road I had earlier stated) with High on as fast as I possibly could, averaging 35mph down Pinch and the beam was always way out in front.

It should be noted that this first ride impression was conducted during a very foggy night where the top of the mountain had considerable fog.

Also set up custom level using the app last night which I think will be better for the scenarios I will put this thing through.

Another point in regards to road riding, Alpha has RVLR mode so as not to blind oncoming traffic and it’s all about the lens focusing. This can be set up using the app in any setting.

Another impression I got from this light which I tried to explain on social media. This light is not for everyone, this is the light the guy buying a $7-9k bike is getting. It's not just another bright Lupine, this is a serious light. The fact that it requires a non-standard battery and charger along with a remote being the only way to activate the light builds to this concept. I see this as a flagship to help promote the other models. A lot like when a bike company brings out that $9k bike and everyone drools over it, but has an offering for less but still packs a lot of value. This is how this light should be marketed, it's not for everyone unless you want absolutely no compromise riding.
1. there are no images attached

2. the rvlr should be the default mode, not something they have to search for in the settings, just to avoid lawsuits or a bad reputation

3. your customer posting here is not using it for downhill racing, he or she is using it on paved rec trails at average speeds. They've not mentioned the rvlr so they probably don't know about it much less use it

4. what is the 'low' setting? I've had fellow trail users shield their eyes from my lights which are below 600 lumens. Even 300 lumens is extremely bright, and I don't mean from 5 feet out, but from 30 feet out.
Old 10-20-18, 03:30 PM
trekmogul 

Lupine Alpha & Pinarello Chris Froome Setup

Don't be on the fence any longer if you are looking for the best in high end lighting for any of your cycling needs.. great light and waited for over a year for this bad boy..
Old 10-20-18, 10:58 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This light is not for everyone, this is the light the guy buying a $7-9k bike is getting.
This is odd. I'm one of the guys who have spent in that range, or more, on MTBs and gravel bikes. Many of the folks that I night ride with also have MTBs in the same range.

Folks are riding a mix of Nightrider, Gemini, Glow worm, Magicshine, etc. Not a single Lupine represented in this diverse group of active night riders.

Great lights but to claim that "this is the light the guy buying a $7-9k bike is getting" is preposterous.
Old 10-21-18, 02:38 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Can anyone tell me if lights have a "sweet spot" that they are designed for.
That is, is there a brightness level that they are designed to be most efficient at and either side of it they are not as good as they could be?
Old 10-21-18, 03:00 AM
radroad

Originally Posted by ogmtb
This is odd. I'm one of the guys who have spent in that range, or more, on MTBs and gravel bikes. Many of the folks that I night ride with also have MTBs in the same range.

Folks are riding a mix of Nightrider, Gemini, Glow worm, Magicshine, etc. Not a single Lupine represented in this diverse group of active night riders.

Great lights but to claim that "this is the light the guy buying a $7-9k bike is getting" is preposterous.
To be honest, I had never heard of this brand prior to reading this thread. I actually welcomed it as a potential source of information about how well the product performs. And it doesn't upset me at all that a brand rep would shill a little bit for their company, as long as it's within forum guidelines of course.

What's confusing is that neither the customer nor rep have presented us with any objective information that would allow a third party to make a determination on their own about the quality of this or other lupine lights. No photos, no videos, no test results, nothing.

It's become an ongoing ad for a company and product without any substance. Honestly, I recommend this thread be shut down as it's going in circles with curious forum members requesting information and the people who rep the brand offering nothing except empty platitudes, evading and ducking the question. Very dodgy thread IMO.

Without any substantive information provided by the brand rep or the op, this thread and their posts seem to be in violation of forum guidelines, namely against solicitation and spamming. I bold the relevant portions. But before reporting the post, I'd like to give either op or the brand rep an opportunity to offer some substantive information that is of value, aside from repetitive and grandiose hyperbole, platitudes and sales pitches.

https://www.bikeforums.net/faq.php?f...aq_forum_rules

Solicitation
Please refrain from using Bike Forums to promote your "crowdfunding campaign" (kickstarter/indiegogo), commercial services/website, or to advertise items for sale. If you are a Premium Member (Titanium or Red Star), you may attach a short link to your own blog or personal site within your profile or signature to your market items in our marketplace forums here (private sales only, no ebay auctions or online storefronts), or to a noncommercial website that you specifically own. Free members are not allowed sig links for their sites.

Spamming
Spamming is the multiple posting of an identical or similar post on one or more of our Forums. Spam is also flooding the Internet with many copies of the same message, in an attempt to force the message on people who would not otherwise choose to receive it. Most spam is commercial advertising, often for dubious products, get-rich-quick schemes, or quasi-legal services.

Last edited by radroad; 10-21-18 at 03:09 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.