Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with disc brakes and fenders?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-19, 01:27 PM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts

We love our disc brakes, but they have made a mess of trying to attache fenders. So far in back we have been able to attach our old fender and rear bike rack, but only through the use of extra long bolts and hollow tubes to spring out the rear rack enough to clear the rear disc brake.

Last edited by since6; 01-15-19 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-15-19, 01:32 PM
since6

On the front we have had to do the same, and cut off part of the cheap plastic fender.

Long term fender solution for the front to allow clearance will be to have Bill Stevenson our tandem builder make a custom from rack that will allow sufficient clearance under the rack for a Honjo fender. But front and back while these solutions work, I don't like the weakness inherent in a rack not anchored tight against the fork/rear drop out brazeons. If we were to ever carry our weekly food shopping home in panniers I don't know how well this set up would last.
How have you solved the problem of Disc Brakes and clearance for either fenders or in the case of the rear rack, rack attachment to the bike frame?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.
Old 01-15-19, 07:09 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
We have a Topeak built for disc brakes on our tandem. It steps out the rack to clear the rest disc but keeps the fixing bolt close,you reach into the extension to tighten the normal length bolt.

I'd love the see pictures of your bike. Love seeing folks custom builds.
Old 01-17-19, 06:11 AM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by since6
We love our disc brakes, but they have made a mess of trying to attache fenders. So far in back we have been able to attach our old fender and rear bike rack, but only through the use of extra long bolts and hollow tubes to spring out the rear rack enough to clear the rear disc brake.

If you intend to carry loads on the rear rack I would recommend that you keep a close eye on your attachment point to the frame. There will be high impact torque applied when you hit bumps and may lead to bending and metal fatigue failure of either the mounting tab on the rack or the eyelet on the frame. For your rack, as designed, you only have to contend with shear forces against the mounting bolt In your implementation most of the impact forces will been seen as torque applied to both attachment points. If you look at racks made to clear disc brakes, such as the Topeak mentioned above, they all have a very beefy mounting structure which is stronger than the moment arm torque seen for this very reason. Topeak did their customers a niceity by recessing the mounting hole to allow reuse of the commonly available mounting bolt. They needed the structure strength anyway.

Love the color of your bike, wouldn't mind seeing a full picture.
Old 01-17-19, 09:09 AM
since6

Is this the Topeka Rack that clears disc brakes? It is the Uni Super Tourist DX (Disc) ? Do they make a similar rack for the front? I did not see one on the website. Are there other brands that make racks, Tubus,etc. I should consider too? What do your do for a front pannier rack? Thanks for sharing as now that I know there is a commercial solution I can show this to our tandem builder and see about having him build us custom racks (they're almost too beautiful to use). Thanks
Old 01-17-19, 09:39 AM
since6

Per your request and thanks for help here's a little walking tour of our Stevenson Custom Tandem. One thing you will notice is that the stoker brace goes contrary to the normal slant direction this was an intentional design choice to make this a very strong/stiff frame by creating an additional triangular bracing (we are currently a heavy tandem, working on that). So this is a very strong frame, but at speed crossing rootlet bumps/bridge edges we notice little shock as the frame does that wonderful steel thing and absorbs the shock. We love the ride of this tandem. We also went with 650B wheels and ventured out to 32mm tires, largest until then had been 28mm, WoW this made a big difference and actually faster over real road chip surfaces, again absorbs road chatter rather than your body.

Missing seats? We take them off to have them for Spin Class, nothing better than your own.
Old 01-17-19, 09:41 AM
since6

Examples of Bill's incredible work, dual plate fork lug and lug work on the fork tubes.
Old 01-17-19, 09:45 AM
since6

More examples of Bill's work, internally routed brake cable through both Captain and Stoker's top tube.
Old 01-17-19, 09:49 AM
since6

Last guilty pleasures, the top picture is of a custom made extension for the Stoker and the bottom two pictures are of a custom made stem for my Stevenson Custom road bike. Not only is Bill a master builder he has found similar craft masters in chroming and painting/powder coating. Plus he's a really great person too.
(oops, pictures are great ways to remind you to get out the polisher and clean things up LOL)
Old 01-17-19, 11:31 AM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts

Is this the Topeka Rack that clears disc brakes? It is the Uni Super Tourist DX (Disc) ? Do they make a similar rack for the front? I did not see one on the website. Are there other brands that make racks, Tubus,etc. I should consider too? What do your do for a front pannier rack? Thanks for sharing as now that I know there is a commercial solution I can show this to our tandem builder and see about having him build us custom racks (they're almost too beautiful to use). Thanks
Yes, I have a diferent model from Topeak, but the mounting structure is the same.

A real smart looking bike. Love the color.
Old 01-17-19, 12:25 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
not a tandem rider & never been known for elegance, but FWIW this is is how I got around the problems of rack & fender stays with disk brakes

seatpost rack w additional custom DIY rack stays

rear left attaches to frame via a common compression clamp. fender attaches to frame & rack

rear right attaches to the drop as per usual

for the front I made my own giant compression clamps from metal strapping. I would later try some premade but they didn't fit as well. been torturing these & they have been holding up perfectly, even if they're not pretty

a slice of rubber helps snug them up for perfect tension/tightness

front fender stay quick release attaches right to them

several months later they're holding up great

I added some clearance & evened out the fender line

the green zip ties are holding the computer sensor

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-17-19 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-18-19, 08:10 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Yes, this is the rack I was speaking about above. Looking on the Topeak website I didn't see any rack for the front. We've done some light touring with this rack and have had good results, it seems pretty durable. Here's our bike with the rack but not a close-up. I forgot to take a picture last night so using one I had on my computer.
Old 01-18-19, 08:17 AM
Paul J

I was looking around the internet for other front rack options and was pretty sure Tubus had a solution for disc brakes. What I wasn't prepared for is when I clicked on The Touring Store the banner has them closing at the end of business today. https://thetouringstore.com/

My wife and I are planning some more extended touring once we retire at the end of next year and this site as been a great resource as we dream and plan. I wish them the best in this tough environment.
Old 01-18-19, 08:59 AM
since6

Wow, another quality product gone.
Old 01-18-19, 09:26 AM
Paul J

Wow, another quality product gone.
I'm sure Tubus is still available just the loss of The Touring Store.

I forgot to say in my earlier post, beautiful tandem, I'd read about his bikes and was wondering how they were. Looks really nice, beautiful filet brazed joints!
Old 01-18-19, 12:56 PM
since6

Thanks Paul J we hope to get out for a summer of rides once I get past now two surgeries. Ah yes, Life, what an adventure!
Old 01-18-19, 05:43 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Planet Bike fender stay clears front BB7 with creative bending on one of my single bikes. Also, plastic spacers on screws between fork and stay ends.

Last edited by JanMM; 01-20-19 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-20-19, 09:27 AM
since6

Thanks all for advice and suggestions.
Old 01-25-19, 05:18 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Alcanbrad

If you intend to carry loads on the rear rack I would recommend that you keep a close eye on your attachment point to the frame. There will be high impact torque applied when you hit bumps and may lead to bending and metal fatigue failure of either the mounting tab on the rack or the eyelet on the frame. For your rack, as designed, you only have to contend with shear forces against the mounting bolt In your implementation most of the impact forces will been seen as torque applied to both attachment points. If you look at racks made to clear disc brakes, such as the Topeak mentioned above, they all have a very beefy mounting structure which is stronger than the moment arm torque seen for this very reason. Topeak did their customers a niceity by recessing the mounting hole to allow reuse of the commonly available mounting bolt. They needed the structure strength anyway.

Love the color of your bike, wouldn't mind seeing a full picture.
Totally agree! The amount of leverage the rack will have on the eyelet will definitely cause problems. It would be far better to attach the rack to the disk brake mounting bolt instead - if you could. The disk tab and associated components are designed to accommodate high forces, so it should be fine to attach the rack there, assuming you don't compromise thread engagement or caliper adjustment by doing so.

That said, your solution to fender mounting looks just fine. No problem spacing the mounting point outward since fenders have no real loads associated with them.

And your bike is a thing of beauty! Thanks for including the close-ups of the wonderful lug work and fillet brazing. Truly wonderful. Fenders? You're going to take that beauty out into the rain???? (I kid. But still, I hope you waxed the paint and used tube prep before building!)
Old 02-03-19, 09:57 PM
jethro00

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
Planet Bike Cascadia bike fenders - 26" x 60mm (silver)

We ride our DaVinci Grand Junction every morning. So, when it's wet out, the stoker gets a stripe up her back. I am thinking about adding Planet Bike Cascadia bike fenders - 26" x 60mm (silver). We have a rear rack. But, the frame has eyes where fenders could attach. We have a kickstand that has 2 prongs that raise the rear tire off the ground. That's what I use to pull the rear wheel to replace the tube.
If I install fenders, is it going to make it harder to pull and replace the rear wheel?
Old 02-04-19, 08:37 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by jethro00
We ride our DaVinci Grand Junction every morning. So, when it's wet out, the stoker gets a stripe up her back. I am thinking about adding Planet Bike Cascadia bike fenders - 26" x 60mm (silver). We have a rear rack. But, the frame has eyes where fenders could attach. We have a kickstand that has 2 prongs that raise the rear tire off the ground. That's what I use to pull the rear wheel to replace the tube.If I install fenders, is it going to make it harder to pull and replace the rear wheel?
correct me if I'm wrong. don't see how your bike is different than other bikes w fenders, regarding wheel remove ale. when pulling it back into place, you'll just have to reach around the fender to handle the wheel. but no biggie. I don't ever want to attach anything to my skewers/axles. leave those for wheels only, in my opinion
Old 03-21-19, 12:32 PM
jethro00

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
fender install help requested

I got a pair of silver Planet Bike Cascadia bike fenders - 26" x 60mm for our DaVinci Grand Junction. They look okay. There are mounting holes midway on the front fork (see pic) and eyes down by the end of the fork. The directions call for attachment to the eyes using the supplied spacers (see pic) to work around the disc brakes. Would it be easier and better to attach to the mounting holes midway on the front fork? Also, does anyone have any suggestions about attaching the rear fender. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by jethro00; 03-21-19 at 06:44 PM. Reason: pic issue
Old 03-21-19, 05:12 PM
Rick

Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 274 Posts
I use the Disco Rack Spacers from Perennial Cycle. They come in for lengths. (17mm 21mm 25mm 28mm) You put them in with a 10mm wrench and screw your rack or fender to them. They are made out of SS and not hollow like a tube.