Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why choose disc brakes over rim brakes for a road bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why choose disc brakes over rim brakes for a road bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 03:45 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
*sigh*

I love watching this forum dissolve into chaos over something like this.

Like I said before - everyone's opinions are pretty much useless. No one in the industry cares what you think. Disc are here and aren't going away. It is simply a matter of time before they become ubiquitous.

Those that talk about any sort of real benefit of disc on a road bike: sorry - you're stretching. Rim brakes are amazing and have come a long way just in this century alone. We easily have enough braking power with the rim brakes available now to skid. When you skid your braking power has overcome your contact patch. It doesn't take much to overcome the contact patch of a road tire.

Yes everyone is drunk with going with wider tires. This is nothing new and will also return to narrower tires in the future under some new generally accepted marketing crap "backed up" by all sorts of biased data again. "Well due to new tire technology and compounds we have in fact found that riding narrower tires at pressure x results in a lower rolling resistance and aids in aerodynamic drag reduction.....blah blah blah" Wide tires make it harder to run with the rim brakes we have but there's over a century of rim brake design that is more than capable of handling it.

There will come a time int he future where leading edge niche of riders and certain racers will stray from the herd and field rim brake bikes again. They will cite the feel of the ride, the low weight, having to learn how to carry more speed through corners, etc all as reasons why they have gone that way. As long as they carry with them a Rapha-esque aesthetic pertinent to that time then the minions of recreational forum users will follow suit.

hell I'm already seeing a surge in riders going back to polished silver hubs, rims and spokes.....just because no one else is running them. "Everyone's bikes are all matte finish and murdered out. They're boring"

Sorry just enjoying a bit of this wild ass guessing from everyone and attempts to rationalize what really isn't that difficult of a question.
+1!!

My good road bikes have - Shimano dual pivots, old (really good) Shimano cantis and Superbe sidepulls, all "de-tuned" with Tektro V-brake levers for best performance on descents I don't know. Winter/rain/city bikes have mixed caliper, Mafac front, Weinmann rear combined with regular Tektro levers.

What all these bikes have is very, very good braking for the conditions they are ridden. (I tried the V-brake and dual-pivot combo on my good fix gear to get really nice big hand grips for climbing. First real test was coming down from MacKenzie Pass into Sisters. I had the corners dialed ... until I came to a blind, tight and steep one. Hit the brakes hard because this was a pedal scraper - no thanks! This was not a subtle squeeze, It was adrenaline driven. And all that happened was the bike slowed really fast; I made the corner with speed to spare. and nothing exciting happened, No lockup, no skip. After that experience, I was sold. Since then, I've been de-tuning all my good bikes' brakes with those levers. My winter bikes have stayed Mafac front, Weinmann rear, regular levers because they spend so much time riding the NW wet.

My V-brake lever, powerful caliper setup wouldn't work for a person who lives on the hoods. I do my serious braking from the drops where I can get a strong grip. I don't have strong hands but they are large.

Silver wheels? Never left them, (I do have one black DT wheel. I paid $10 for it, Forgive me.) I have gone to the 28c Corsa G+ (closet clincher to the old Del Mondo and Paris Roubaix silks BITD and ribbed tread! Heaven .. until I go sewups (and hell if I roll one off before I do).

Ben
Old 02-21-19, 03:46 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
@ljsense ---- you keep saying that rim brakes are so much easier to use with extreme precision for the most minimal applications. My question would be, how much have you practiced.

All your analogies mean nothing. Reality is where i ride, in a concrete, not conceptual world. it sounds like you have figured out a way to explain why a thing won't work---but refuse to accept the fact that it does.

Fact is, plenty of people find riding on discs to be just as easy as riding on rim brakes. if You cannot, then practice more. Stop inventing weird excuses based on turntables etc. ... it can be done, learn to do it.

You are essentially complaining that you can't make discs work with precision----though that might be your theory rather than your experience. Several others say they have---which makes me think you need to develop a finer touch.

Not suggesting that you look to solve your own issues as opposed to telling everyone that their own experiences are invalid .... at least not directly.
Here's my experience: cornering in a crit is something I've been doing for more than a decade, and I am still trying to maintain as much speed as possible through them. My goal is to not touch my brakes, stay within a few feet of the wheel ahead of me, and only have to do 500 watts instead of 580 or whatever coming out to get the good draft again. If I have to slow before a corner, I want to just barely back off. It's so tiring to ramp up that speed again and again. It's what makes crits tough. My experience is that my cork pads on well trued carbon wheels brush off a little speed, when needed, a little more gently and predictably than when I've tried it with disc brakes. I've only ridden 2 crits with disc brakes, but that is like five hundred corners or something.

I get that disc brakes are great. I love them. I have them on my mountain bike, my fat bike and my cross bike. I have outlined six reasons why I like rim brakes better for road racing. Trying to explain one of those reason -- why a rim brake might have a specific narrow performance edge -- is difficult. Forget about the record player or whatever you think sounded stupid, and just dive into corner after corner at 27 mph with people all around you. Yes, it certainly can be done with disc brakes with no real problem, I just think it's a hair better with rim brakes, in my opinion. If a dog or something ran out onto the course, I'm sure I'd wish I had disc brakes. But again, in my experience, crashes in crits happen so fast, great brakes usually aren't the salvation. What you really need is a lucky break.

Last edited by ljsense; 02-21-19 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-21-19, 03:57 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

@ljsense ---- you keep saying that rim brakes are so much easier to use with extrme precision for the most minimal applications. My question would be, how much have you practiced.

All your analogies mean nothing. Reality is where i ride, in a concrete, not conceptual world. it sounds like you have figured out a way to explain why a thing won't work---but refuse to accept the fact that it does. (the Catholic Church had to give in to Galileo ... hope it doesn't take 400 years for you to learn to ride discs.)

Fact is, plenty of people find riding on discs to be just as easy as riding on rim brakes. if You cannot, then practice more. Stop inventing weird excuses based on turntables etc. ... it can be done, learn to do it.

I personally don't care what kind of brakes anyone uses or favors. But i do want to keep at least some of the discussion on this site honest and fact-based. You are essentially complaining that you can't make discs work with precision----though that might be your theory rather than your experience. Several others say they have---which makes me think you need to develop a finer touch.

I use Ultegra rim brakes on my "fast" bike (that describes its set-up, its weight relative to other bikes, and its potential---no bike I ride is fast unless going down hill (or on a rack on a car being taken somewhere to ride)) and after a few panic stops left me fishtailing and flat-spotting rear tires ... I gapped the rear brakes a little wider. Because I am right-hand dominant, in emergencies I was over-squeezing the rear brake lever. A simple adjustment has eliminated the problem.

Not suggesting that you look to solve your own issues as opposed to telling everyone that their own experiences are invalid .... at least not directly.
I always run my rear brake housings early '80s road style - full length on top of the top tube. I always thought it looked best, but more important, I want that extra housing to compress and "de-tune" the power some for exactly that reason.

Ben
Old 02-21-19, 04:01 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by ljsense
Here's my experience: cornering in a crit is something I've been doing for more than a decade, and I am still trying to maintain as much speed as possible through them. My goal is to not touch my brakes, stay within a few feet of the wheel ahead of me, and only have to do 500 watts instead of 580 or whatever coming out to get the good draft again. If I have to slow before a corner, I want to just barely back off. It's so tiring to ramp up that speed again and again. It's what makes crits tough. My experience is that my cork pads on well trued carbon wheels brush off a little speed, when needed, a little more gently and predictably than when I've tried it with disc brakes. I've only ridden 2 crits with disc brakes, but that is like five hundred corners or something.

I get that disc brakes are great. I love them. I have them on my mountain bike, my fat bike and my cross bike. I have outlined six reasons why I like rim brakes better for road racing. Trying to explain one of those reason -- why a rim brake might have a specific narrow performance edge -- is difficult. Forget about the record player or whatever you think sounded stupid, and just dive into corner after corner at 27 mph with people all around you. Yes, it certainly can be done with disc brakes with no real problem, I just think it's a hair better with rim brakes, in my opinion. If a dog or something ran out onto the course, I'm sure I'd wish I had disc brakes. But again, in my experience, crashes in crits happen so fast, great brakes usually aren't the salvation.
If you simply like the feel and responsiveness of cork on CF rim brakes in a crit, then that is what works for you. Braking response and feel is a completely subjective thing.

I think where things went off is when you try to expand your subjective (albeit perfectly valid) experience to a larger truism about disc vs rim in general.

Rim and disc certainly do feel and respond differently.
Old 02-21-19, 04:24 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Really? I learned bike mechanics myself, from literally the ground up---picking up junk bikes off the roadside. I learned about different brake systems when I first saw the,

Sorry, but it ain't rocket science. A lever pulls a cable which in some way pulls actuator arms---or compressed fluid does it. A "bike mechanic" who can't cope with center-pull, side-pull, dual-pivot, cantis, and Vs is just lame.

As for discs, I had to ... read some instructions. Can i still be a mechanic ... after learning to be a better mechanic? I am nto sure of the Mechanic's Guild rules.

Why? Why is that?

If that were the case, shouldn't most riders be best served by single-speed and coaster brakes?

When it comes to brakes, most riders are best served by brakes which stop the bike with the least demand on the rider. A coaster-brake bike demands a weight shift. A bike with weak brakes demands a lot of pressure. A bike with weak rim brakes in the wet has longer stopping distances, demanding greater rider attentiveness and quicker reaction. Brakes that respond very quickly with not a lot of force are best---regardless of what some other person considers to be "tried and true," which is a vague enough phrase that it could mean anything, including Flintstone stops.

A new rider on a bike for the first time learns immediately how the brakes works. if that rider rides a different bike, s/he learns the particulars of that bike' s brakes and adapts---whether they be the same sort or different.

I have driven all kinds of motor vehicles, with air brakes, vacuum-assisted brakes, drum and disc brakes, and with varying levels brake boost. After the first couple stops i .... just drove.

It never took me even a few overly abrupt stops to learn the different braking characteristics of any bicycle I have ever ridden.
First off I was responding to a poster who said he's not experienced two bikes that more or less stopped the same way. Which is an entirely non-mechanical way of looking at it. There are a lot of people who ride bike who just don't get mechanics.

I've been riding a long time and have seen many riders fly over the handlebars from braking. On these forums you will find endless references to flying over the handlebars. If you are the great mechanic you say you are, you understand that the front exit is entirely about the rider and has very little to do with brakes. Have you ever successfully explained center of gravity to someone who does not have the concept?

It must be nice to be able to figure out any mechanical system by glancing at it once. You should come to Chicago and make a lot of money. We have LBS here where there is not one mechanic who understands discs. I have friends who love their Ultegra discs and friends who have been back to the shop twenty and thirty times trying to get the darn things to work. Also plenty of bikes permanently ensconced as garage ornaments because the discs don't work and no one knows how. Or the parts don't exist. Countless bikes where the discs don't work because the rider is never going to get the pads hot enough to break them in. I've been looking at bicycle disc brakes for 45 years and only in the past five have they been at all realistic. I guess there must be some reason why lots of engineers and lots of parts maker tried for forty years before it worked. And the parts are still a problem.

Coaster brakes are not about weight shift. They are about flatlands and coastal plains. Where most of the population has always lived. They work on bikes where the rider is sitting directly above the rear axle and the coaster arm. If you have to do weight shift you should probably be on some other brake and some other bike.

"Most riders are best served by brakes which stop the bike with the least demand on the rider." Hunh? Riders need to be involved with their bike. When everything works 'perfectly' with no demands placed on the operator watch them get in over their head. Much better if thought process is absolutely required to make it go. Or stop.

"It works for me." Fine. "Therefore it must work for you." Non-sequitur. You can use your insights to enjoy your rides and I hope you do. Do not fix anyone else's bike.
Old 02-21-19, 04:58 PM
RedBullFiXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
*sigh*

Like I said before - everyone's opinions are pretty much useless. No one in the industry cares what you think. Disc are here and aren't going away. It is simply a matter of time before they become ubiquitous.

Those that talk about any sort of real benefit of disc on a road bike: sorry - you're stretching. Rim brakes are amazing and have come a long way just in this century alone. We easily have enough braking power with the rim brakes available now to skid. When you skid your braking power has overcome your contact patch. It doesn't take much to overcome the contact patch of a road tire.

Yes everyone is drunk with going with wider tires. This is nothing new and will also return to narrower tires in the future under some new generally accepted marketing crap "backed up" by all sorts of biased data again. "Well due to new tire technology and compounds we have in fact found that riding narrower tires at pressure x results in a lower rolling resistance and aids in aerodynamic drag reduction.....blah blah blah" Wide tires make it harder to run with the rim brakes we have but there's over a century of rim brake design that is more than capable of handling it.

There will come a time int he future where leading edge niche of riders and certain racers will stray from the herd and field rim brake bikes again. They will cite the feel of the ride, the low weight, having to learn how to carry more speed through corners, etc all as reasons why they have gone that way. As long as they carry with them a Rapha-esque aesthetic pertinent to that time then the minions of recreational forum users will follow suit.

hell I'm already seeing a surge in riders going back to polished silver hubs, rims and spokes.....just because no one else is running them. "Everyone's bikes are all matte finish and murdered out. They're boring"

Sorry just enjoying a bit of this wild ass guessing from everyone and attempts to rationalize what really isn't that difficult of a question.
Don't know how it is in IL, never rode there ?
Here in CA, Disk Brakes are safer, on mountain passes, and around town where the best brakes add a saftey buffer, (Ca drivers )
Rim brakes are great for Crits, no arguing that

Old 02-21-19, 05:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
It's the Latest thing ...

To me it seems like disc brakes are unnecessary. But they sell so well, so I'm curious why -- why would or did you get road disc brakes? What do you think of them?

I now have a bike I ride on the street/road, with *disc brakes, on it , because it's my wet , winter bike... but its not a road bike ..

I have a road bike , it does have rim brakes , it's C&V and never had mudguards , It's not ridden much because the other bike is more practical..

*TRP Hy Rd.. they are quite nice .. replaced the original Avid BB7..

full on hydro Di2 brifters are showing off your wallet prowess.. nice if you got it..

Industry likes Buyers...

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-21-19 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-21-19, 05:32 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I have outlined six reasons why I like rim brakes better for road racing.
Might I suggest that you emphasize that you prefer rim brakes in that one narrow applications?

Fir instance, you did not open the thread by saying. "I think rim brakes are superior for criterium racing." You started by saying
To me it seems like disc brakes are unnecessary. But they sell so well, so I'm curious why -- why would or did you get road disc brakes? What do you think of them?
You never specified racing or criteriums ... you said "road disc brakes." had you specified, most of this thread would not have happened ... or at least would have been very different.

And by calling disc brakes "unnecessary" you took a very strong position agaisnt them ... a position which you have been trying to back away from, i notice.

Later you say
Yeah, definitely seems that way. I like disc brakes on my other bikes, but I'm scratching my head here. I mean, I don't think I'll ever want a dropper post on my road bike either, but we'll see where the industry goes.
but again, only specify “road bike,” never “criterium racing bike.”

When you had another chance you replied,
Sounds more like a gravel/adventure bike than what I had in mind when I said road bike …..
You do mention racing in your next post, but also that brakes are irrelevant in a race. You talk about training rides, and you talk about racing but never mention your “feathering” theory.
There are regular corners I do -- one is near home, toward the bottom of the hill, and it cuts widely across a divided avenue and ends off camber. It is the final test of many of my rides and my mantra is "practice for the crit, be brave, don't touch the brakes, heavy on the outside pedal, loose through the shoulders." When I'm riding a road bike well, have confidence in my cornering, and am riding in a good group, brakes are pretty much just along for the ride. Bike racing isn't like Moto GP where you accelerate so hard you have to slow way down for the next corner. If anything, it's about finding an extra half pedal stroke so you don't have to accelerate quite so hard after coasting through the corner. Some courses, you don't have the touch the brakes until it's over. That's fundamentally why I don't get why disc brakes are embraced so thoroughly by manufacturers and I assume many buyers. They're not part of anything that promises what to me seems essential to sell a racing bike: you'll go faster.
That is post #16 by the way. You certainly could have specified that the reason you didn’t like discs on specifically your crit racer was the whole ‘speed-scrubbing” thing. If that was really what you were talking about. So far it seems as though you were addressing discs in general.

Your next post doesn’t mention crits or racing.

Finally, in post #67 , you get to what you claim was always the heart of the matter:
… I don't think disc brakes are superior for road racing bikes in every manner.
In post #86 you again talk about hwo you cannot make discs work for you. You admit that others seem to be able to. You reiterate in post #93 , in effect saying you like rim brakes because they do not stop a bike as well as discs.

Finally in post #102 , you talk very specifically about your personal issues.

I think a lot of us understand crit racing, and how it is essential to be able to stay with a group, save energy, explode away when a beak goes, all that.

But there is this:
I've only ridden 2 crits with disc brakes, but that is like five hundred corners or something.
I suggest that maybe if you learned to use discs, and learned to set them up for the style of use you need … they might work. As I said earlier, maybe it is not the machine, but the operator.

But … as I said above, I don’t care what you use. However … waiting until 100 posts into a thread to actually talk about the main topic ….

Or, you were actually just railing against discs in general, and when pressed, had to admit there was really only one small issue.

As @Kapusta notes,
Originally Posted by Kapusta
If you simply like the feel and responsiveness of cork on CF rim brakes in a crit, then that is what works for you. Braking response and feel is a completely subjective thing.

I think where things went off is when you try to expand your subjective (albeit perfectly valid) experience to a larger truism about disc vs rim in general.

Rim and disc certainly do feel and respond differently.
Anyway … maybe next time if your issue is something Extremely specific, like say, your preference for rim vs. disc brakes on your dedicated crit machine … start there. You have to admit, form your first post and through the first several you made, it certainly looked like you were bashing discs in general.

Which is also fine. No reason you have to like discs … but as peoplel noted, your reasons for not liking them didn’t make much sense until you actually revealed the deeper reason. Confusion can be fun, I guess …. Or whatever.

Ride as you like and live as you think you should I guess.
Old 02-21-19, 06:00 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Might I suggest that you emphasize that you prefer rim brakes in that one narrow applications?

Ride as you like and live as you think you should I guess.
Hey man, you can try to lawyer me up the yingyang or, if you're going to parse and enumerate every post, give me some credit for what my actual position is. I listed 6 reasons why I didn't think disc brakes were better on road bikes. Everyone seemed to latch on to the feathering thing. Took the conversation where it went.

Road bikes to me are race bikes. Races, at least here, are crits. Even the "road" races are just crits with big laps where you can't cross the centerline. It's like that in a lot of places throughout the U.S.

Some engineer at every brake manufacturer has a bunch of curves showing braking force vs lever force. If someone wants to volunteer one that's not a trade secret and show how much braking force exists vs how much lever force exists, I think everyone will see what I mean. I don't think it's just personal experience when someone says that disc brakes help them down a long descent or get through some mountain bike trail. The data exists to back that up. But when I represent the other side of the curve, the assumption is that I'm just relaying a preference or personal taste.

Rim brakes operate differently from disc brakes. They have different response curves. Most of the time when you're braking, your going to want to be on the disc brake response curve. But in a crit, which is the essence of racing, and the market where so many of these bikes end up, riders are using their brakes in a way that doesn't scream out for discs; in fact, it's the part of the response curve where rim brakes shine.
Old 02-21-19, 08:06 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
*sigh*

+1

The OP's mind was made up before he posted the thread, and no one is going to change it.
Old 02-21-19, 08:55 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by noodle soup
+1

The OP's mind was made up before he posted the thread, and no one is going to change it.
Ditto many of the responders.

Ben
Old 02-21-19, 09:13 PM
Bikesplendor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The central issue: Trust me, I know what I'm doing,

Last edited by Bikesplendor; 02-21-19 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-22-19, 02:32 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
I got your sledgehammer!

Old 02-22-19, 09:00 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
This topic has been discussed ad infinitum on this forum. To the OP or anyone else...Just do a search instead of creating a topic.

The reality is disc brakes on road bikes are here to stay and rim brakes on road bikes will be a thing of the past within the next 5 years. The big 3 will drive this change and the component suppliers will follow making rim brakes more or less obsolete much like 26" mountain bike tires and front derailleurs on mountain bikes.
Old 02-22-19, 12:07 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I just ride disc brakes to annoy people.
Old 02-22-19, 01:01 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I ride discs to slice the arteries of my foes when there's a pile-up.
Old 02-22-19, 01:20 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I ride discs to slice the arteries of my foes when there's a pile-up.

Old 02-22-19, 01:24 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts

Old 02-22-19, 01:32 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti

Old 02-22-19, 02:05 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Finally this thread is getting good.
Old 02-25-19, 12:41 PM
Goldrush

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
I'm not speaking hypothetically about this stuff. Rim wear is just a reality for people who ride outdoors year-round here. A few thousand hilly miles in the mucky wet can be all it takes to burn through a rim, especially if a lot of it is night riding where the lack of visibility demands more braking. For people who ride a single set of wheels year-round, a rim replacement cycle of every year or two is not that rare; there's zero wear in the summer, but extremely rapid wear when it's mucky.

About a year ago, before a group ride, there was a sound like a gunshot. On a wheel that had just been topped off, the thin brake track allowed the hook to separate from the rest of rim in one spot. The rider of that bike is an experienced roadie, and did not "drag his brakes for a decade", he just hadn't been very diligent about checking brake track wear. Similarly exploded rims aren't a rare sight for bike shops in the region.
My wife and I both have rode thousands of miles a year over 2 decades with rim brakes and have never worn out a rim .
Old 02-25-19, 12:58 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Goldrush
My wife and I both have rode thousands of miles a year over 2 decades with rim brakes and have never worn out a rim .
I used to smoke cigarettes and I haven't dies of cancer. For some reason that doesn't negate the fact that smoking kills 480,000 people each year.
Old 02-25-19, 01:02 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti

That's why I don't eat bananas while riding.
Old 02-25-19, 01:20 PM
biketube guy

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The main benefit for the garden variety Fred is better braking performance, especially noticeable on long descents, and in wet/icy conditions.

A secondary benefit for Freds enjoying the sweet nectar of big heavy tires and rims; no rim brake caliper clearance issues. (However, disc brakes bring with them thru-axles, and the trick of aligning the rotor with the caliper, so wheel changes do not become easier.)

For actual road racers, the main benefit of disc brakes is to allow the use of light weight carbon rims, decreasing weight around the perimeter of the wheel, which is how you go fast.
Old 02-25-19, 01:22 PM
DavePL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't need disk brakes

Hi, Yes, I ride mostly on dry days, and don't need all that expensive technology to stop the bike! They wan't you to spend more money on technology that doesn't do anything to make a bike faster.
Let them do something to make the bikes lighter and faster, or less complicated for a change!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.