Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rear Free Wheel with Quick Release Safe?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-19, 01:41 PM
Treker08

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A bike shop I used in the past recently me told me this, "Having a rear free wheel set on a quick release is sketchy, un-safe practice and is something we wouldn't risk our reputation on." What do you guys think?
Old 06-28-19, 02:02 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4805 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
With rim brakes and horizontal dropouts and a poor quality or design quick-release or poor attention to detail, yes. Following basic good practice and using a reputable quick-release with an internal cam and steel skewer, not an issue. Been done for 90 years and millions of miles.

Ben
Old 06-28-19, 02:13 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
As above, BITD when bikes had horizontal rear dropouts to account for poor alignment, QRs could allow the wheel to slip if something went wrong. Almost all modern bikes have vertical dropouts and the force from the chain pushes the wheel's axle into a solid part of the frame.

There are a few cases I can think of where the rear wheel slipped during riding. It is much more likely on cheap bikes that have been converted to QR as the dropouot thickness is too little for the QR to squeeze on before it bottoms out against the end of the axle. If doing this conversion you must cut the NDS of the axle down by a few mms. It generally slows or stops the bike, but is not a catastrophic failure.

If the QR on the front wheel lets go, the results are generally much more severe.

So what bikes does this shop sell that have no QRs on their rear wheels? Do they disassemble the hub on every bike and install a nutted axle? Because every adult bike from almost every bike brand comes from the factory with F&R QRs. Only bikes with internally geared hubs, and single speeds, come with nutted axles.
Old 06-28-19, 02:19 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Treker08
A bike shop I used in the past recently me told me this, "Having a rear free wheel set on a quick release is sketchy, un-safe practice and is something we wouldn't risk our reputation on." What do you guys think?
It doesn't matter if you have 1, 5, 7 or 11 cogs on a freewheel equipped QR rear axle, it's as "safe' and mature a design as you'll find.
Perhaps you or they meant "fixed gear" instead?
If so, I've ridden for years on a FG/QR set-up with zero problems.
That being said, get a proper track style hub for FG riding w/ track nuts and have at it.

Choosing and properly operating a QR as @79pmooney notes is SOP.

edit: Is this some shop shilling the "danger" of QR to sell a bike w/ disc brakes and through axles as the "safe" alternative?
If so, don't go back there.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 06-28-19 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-28-19, 02:57 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
IMO, sounds like they are trying to sell you a more expensive bike. I have been road biking for 45+ years. All of it with quick release skewers. Never had a problem not due to my not tightening the skewer enough. Look at some video to get the correct way to use the QRs.
Old 06-28-19, 03:06 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
I ride older bikes and expect a certain level of knowledge to have slipped through the cracks over the years.

But that? I'd be looking for another bike shop. If that's not an option I'd seek out a better-informed person within the shop at the very least.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 06-28-19, 04:40 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Quick releases require a certain minimal level of mechanical competence. More and more products are being designed on principle that entire population of users are complete morons. Designing for the dimwitted prevents legal problems. Also limits choices and degrades performance.

Most common error with quick releases is using them as wingnuts. Any who would even attempt doing that fail the test and should not do anything mechanical to a bike ever. That is probably a third or a quarter of all quick releases ever made. Past 30 years there has been an endless stream of external cam quick releases. Basically not safe, sell like hotcakes. Used on majority? of higher priced QR-equipped bikes for years now. So the pendulum swings and we go from dismal performing external cams to through axles.

One of my bikes in regular rotation is equipped with pre-war FB/Campagnolo QRs. Over 80 years old. Probably among the first few thousand ever made. No problems.
Old 06-28-19, 04:51 PM
NatusEstInSuht

Bikes: 1970's Piasentin Super Vitus 971, 1979 Carlton Professional, 2005 Trek 5000, 2011 Niner EMD, 2018 Argon 18 XRoad, 1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
You need to find another bike shop.

The only kind of bike I would not use a rear quick release on would be one with fixed gear (track or fixie).
Old 06-28-19, 07:06 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
In 55 years of racing, commuting, touring and just cruising around with QR freewheel bikes, I can count on one hand how many times the wheel has slipped in the dropouts. The momentum of the bike will carry you along if the tire tire contacts the frame. Usually you hear it, and have time to stop and reset the wheel in the frame and adjust the QR. The most recent instance of this happening was on a friend's carbon bike with QR and modern cassette. He stood up to finish a hill, the wheel shifted, locked up, and he went over the bars cracking his helmet and his one piece carbon bar/stem combo. Stuff happens. You could also get struck by lightning. Find another shop.
Old 06-28-19, 07:20 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Past 30 years there has been an endless stream of external cam quick releases. Basically not safe, sell like hotcakes.
How not safe? External cam QRs are fine in the right application ie. when used with vertical dropouts, which are found on the vast majority of modern bicycles. The only place I would require an internal-cam QR or a solid axle with nuts would be with horizontal dropouts
Old 06-29-19, 06:30 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
What sort of bike were you looking at? Because the statement is an odd one, and doesn't really make sense to me in isolation.
Old 06-29-19, 07:33 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Designing for the dimwitted prevents legal problems.
I remember a discussion at work a few years ago that went something like this:

Co-worker: "Make it idiot-proof so anyone can do it."

Boss: "Oh, you don't want to do that, they'll just make a better idiot."

Anyway, as others have said, it's time to find a different bike shop. I've been riding QR rear wheels for decades without issues.
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 06-29-19, 07:49 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
QR lever has to be really tight* and the axle rnd has to bite into the metal ..

* internal cam type can exert more force ..

as you close the lever, the resistant force, it should leave a mark on the palm of your hand with the lever.. 'that' tight..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-04-19 at 02:13 PM.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 06-29-19, 08:56 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
The correct amount of force/clamping power can be achieved with either an external or internal-cam design QR. The internal cam design just allows you to get that same force more easily. IOW they're probably better suited to the frail and weak.
Old 06-29-19, 09:22 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
OP, if you haven't gone missing in your own thread, read this:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html
Old 06-29-19, 09:34 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
I guess 6 of my 7 bikes are unsafe, better update my will. What a hack!
Tim
Old 06-29-19, 09:46 AM
Treker08

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for your input. To give you more context, I visited this bike shop about 3 years ago to get a new rear wheel for my 1994 Trek 800. Without my permission, they installed a solid axle wheel instead of quick release one that came with my bike. Although the new wheel has performed well, recently, I have needed to remove the wheel, and I greatly miss the convenience of the quick release system. So I posted a negative Google review for that bike shop, and part of the owner's reply to my review was the warning of the safety issues of using quick release on a rear free wheel.
Old 06-29-19, 09:49 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The correct amount of force/clamping power can be achieved with either an external or internal-cam design QR. The internal cam design just allows you to get that same force more easily. IOW they're probably better suited to the frail and weak.
Internal is superior though, according to Sheldon Brown’s article as mentioned in post #15. Looks way better too, the external style just looks cheap, probably cause it is.
Tim
Old 06-29-19, 09:49 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Thank you all for your input. To give you more context, I visited this bike shop about 3 years ago to get a new rear wheel for my 1994 Trek 800. Without my permission, they installed a solid axle wheel instead of quick release one that came with my bike. Although the new wheel has performed well, recently, I have needed to remove the wheel, and I greatly miss the convenience of the quick release system. So I posted a negative Google review for that bike shop, and part of the owner's reply to my review was the warning of the safety issues of using quick release on a rear free wheel.
Bah ha ha ha Never go back there, unless it is to demand they install a QR axle. That's nothing but pure lunacy!
Old 06-29-19, 12:08 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by NatusEstInSuht
The only kind of bike I would not use a rear quick release on would be one with fixed gear (track or fixie).
The only reason you don't see quick releases on track wheels is because track regulations often forbid them out of concern that a closely-following rider's front wheel could disengage the lead rider's quick release. Unless you're riding on a track in a pursuit event, a quick release track wheel is not a concern.

In fact, up until the 1970s, Campagnolo offered quick releases as an option on their track hubs:

Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-29-19, 12:27 PM
NatusEstInSuht

Bikes: 1970's Piasentin Super Vitus 971, 1979 Carlton Professional, 2005 Trek 5000, 2011 Niner EMD, 2018 Argon 18 XRoad, 1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The only reason you don't see quick releases on track wheels is because track regulations often forbid them out of concern that a closely-following rider's front wheel could disengage the lead rider's quick release. Unless you're riding on a track in a pursuit event, a quick release track wheel is not a concern.

In fact, up until the 1970s, Campagnolo offered quick releases as an option on their track hubs:
I was informed that a nutted-on wheel is preferred due to the increased force from forward and reverse lateral movements in a fixed-gear hub.

But your explanation makes far more sense.
Old 06-29-19, 01:14 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
One issue common, multi-speed freewheel rear axles had*, was metal fatigue breakage..
a solid axle stronger than a hollow QR type .. But the QR still held the 2 parts together
after the axle broke..

* because the right axle bearings were closer to the bike center line than the axle end

so axle flexed a little, often.. as you rode..

Old 06-29-19, 01:23 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
So I posted a negative Google review for that bike shop, and part of the owner's reply to my review was the warning of the safety issues of using quick release on a rear free wheel.
That seems silly - on the part of the shop.

Generally, I'd expect a shop (of any kind) to ask permission before doing work I did not ask for or substituting a different product. This at least gives the customer the option of going elsewhere. I understand that bike shops may refuse to perform some services due to liability issues, but it's not a good excuse for substituting something different without consulting the customer.

As you can see from this thread, most riders have no issues with QR rear wheels. Same here: the only time I ever had an issue was with a very cheap MTB single speed wheel with equally cheap QR skewers, in a very beat up MTB with horizontal dropouts (it was a low-budget winter build). On one occasion, the wheel slipped, causing me to stop and get grease on my hands on the way to work. After replacing the cheap QR skewer with a better one, no issues.
Old 06-29-19, 02:56 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Maybe you misunderstood the shop person. Their statement as you have relayed it is strange. The only time in 40 years I've had a properly mounted QR wheel slip in horizontal dropouts is ... never.

And the only time I've had a properly mounted QR front wheel fall out of non-lawyer-lip fork ends is again ... never.
Old 06-29-19, 07:24 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
That sounds like they installed a cheaper wheel, as this naturally profits them more at the price quoted, and have made up a lame excuse when you've later questioned their actions. Both the fitment and reasoning would come from the same attitude, and i wouldn't continue going somewhere practicing that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.