Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

problem with Dahon folding pedal

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 07-13-06, 05:24 PM
Jessica
cut my gas use in half

Bikes: walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm thinking I just need to get some new pedal. the left one is loose on the bolt, and I think it may fail and cause a fall if I am not careful. anyone else have problems with Dahon folding pedal breaking? Any advice about repairs?
Old 07-13-06, 05:36 PM
LittlePixel
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Loose as in needs tightening or loose as in something - maybe the bearing - is kaput? If it's the latter there are places - www.gaerlan.com that can sell you new pedals - if its the former - it might be that it needs tightening in the opposite direction as (left or right I can't remember) pedals have a reverse thread so they don't loosen in normal use.
Old 07-14-06, 08:44 AM
Jessica
cut my gas use in half

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its broken

it is the plastic coming away from the metal. I haven't been able to find parts prices for Dahon... but I found there are stores in the Bay Area who have them in stock.

I haven't decided if I want to go cheap as possible, platform, clip, clipless or replace with authentic parts...
Old 07-14-06, 09:26 AM
dalmore
Neat - w/ ice on the side

Bikes: 2005 Dahon Speed TR, 2006 Dahon Mu SL, 2000 GT XiZang, 1999ish Rock Lobster, 2007 Dean Animas CTI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I highly recommend the mks quick release pedals - very easy to remove them for when you fold the bike for transport. The make platforms in several configurations most of which work with power grips if you are so inclined. They also make a clipless version.

Two things to keep in mind on these pedals. If you need to take your bike on a train or something daily that requires folding - make sure you have a place to put the pedal you remove. It can get a little grimey. Second thing is to triple check that the quick release is fully latched after you snap the pedal back on the bike.

I believe gaerlan.com thorusa.com and calhouncycles.com all carry at least one or two of the mks line of quick release pedals.

If you go with a non-folding and non q/r pedal - make sure you understand what that does to your folded size ... On both my Dahons it leaves the left pedal sticking out there to catch on everything and make the folded size 4 inches bigger!

You know come to think of it - shoot me a private message and I can send you my dahon folding pedals that I took off to use the mks pedals. Free just pay shipping. Practically new. It was my first upgrade.
Old 07-17-06, 09:13 AM
Jessica
cut my gas use in half

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I replaced the left pedal with a platform temporarily. Finally some benefit from the multiple bikes which have gathered on my property hoping to be rebuilt.

and public thanks to dalmore... now I know I have more choices than I was aware of before!!
Old 07-21-06, 12:17 AM
knight9413

Bikes: Vintage Fuji Del Rey, Torelli Countach, Mondonico Diamond, All-City Mr. Pink, Mikkelsen Custom Road Bike, Surly Ogre, Dahon Helios, Marin Muirwoods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jessica
I'm thinking I just need to get some new pedal. the left one is loose on the bolt, and I think it may fail and cause a fall if I am not careful. anyone else have problems with Dahon folding pedal breaking? Any advice about repairs?
Had the same prob w/ my Helios, lost the pedal's dust cap and had a loose bolt. I thought it was only a minor prob, but one of the pedals eventually fell off. Replacing them with mks fd-6 cost me around $38 shipped. I liked the new pedals but didn't think they are worth that much.
Old 07-24-06, 09:11 AM
Jessica
cut my gas use in half

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whoo hoo!! Dalmore sent me better pedals than my bike came with. Thanks again, dude. (the check's in the mail)
Jess
Old 07-31-06, 06:37 AM
jackcoke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same problem with my Dahon. The pedal was broken, tihhtening would not work. The folding pedals just aren't as strong. I replaces my with some normal pedals. I never need to fold it up that tight.
Old 07-31-06, 07:03 AM
EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jessica
whoo hoo!! Dalmore sent me better pedals than my bike came with. Thanks again, dude. (the check's in the mail)
Jess
What a nice community of people this is! Wavshrdr sourced and sent me a set of excellent Koolstop Salmon brake blocks for my Merc at the basic cost of blocks and postage. I couldn't find any UK stockist of those brake blocks and they are really excellent. It's great to meet up with people who will go out of their way to help out a fellow folder fanatic. Public thanks to Wavshrdr.
Old 07-31-06, 08:20 AM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats how we roll

:-)

Thor
Old 06-21-13, 11:43 AM
ShonB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jessica, do you still have the pedals you were complaining about or have they long been thrown away?
Old 06-22-13, 01:41 AM
jerrysimon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I quite like these pedals.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1106115688...84.m1423.l2649

Or when I change them I might try these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1309195218...84.m1423.l2649

Jerry