Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Hey Norcal, let's get to know each other.

Notices
Northern California Northern California

Hey Norcal, let's get to know each other.

Old 01-05-18, 02:27 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Originally Posted by Gpc2012
Hey @2cam16 (don't know if that will work, trying to tag 2cam and that's how it works in the other two forums I'm on) Reedley isn't really Northern California, in fact it's pretty much right in the middle, are there any groups in Ca that assist people in getting bikes? I've got 2 friends here in my mobile home park that would ride with me if they could get a bike. I'm saving up to get wifey one, but that's gonna be a chore. All my change putting it in rolls is gonna take forever
It worked.
Wish I had more info for you but I don't know of any groups. I can only think of checking Craigslist for the right bike.
Old 03-01-18, 10:41 PM
Adrudi

Bikes: Raleigh 1991 753 TEAM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
steel racers

Hi all-

Im Al, near the Norcal foothills and sierras. I am interested in finding out more about steel bikes that can be raced. I recently got a new bike after riding aluminum & steel my whole life, and it's just not the same. Carbon is definitely nice, but I would like to explore some new steel racing bikes. Any suggestions out there
Old 03-01-18, 11:02 PM
Lanceoldstrong
Family, Health, Cycling

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works, Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I signed up for the Davis Double today, it made me think about the many folks I know from this forum. So, I dropped by and found it more lively than I thought it would be.

Good on you NorCal BikeForums!
Old 04-12-18, 01:35 PM
SanFranCyclist

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale CAADX 105

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone. Henry here, 33, from San Francisco. Currently still trying to fine tune what I'm really into, but I'd like to say I'm into light trail riding. I usually ride at Lake Merced/Great Highway, but am discovering more and more things around the Bay Area. Hoping to meet a few other cyclists along the way.
Old 05-08-18, 11:58 AM
2000m2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all,

New on the forum. Recently moved to the Bay Area from Seattle (most recently). I've done different types of riding over the years, Mtn bike racing in upstate NY when I was really young and road racing in college. I'm trying to get back in to decent shape to join some group rides. I have a road bike, mtn bike and gravel/cross bike, so looking to learn some routes/trails in the area. I'm on the Peninsula in San Carlos.

It would be great to find some gravel, fire-road type routes nearby. Driving an hour each way to ride for an hour, ends up being a bit too much.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-18, 05:09 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Welcome to the Bay!
Quite a few riding areas near you. There's the Bay Trail . There's also Bedwell Bayfront Park off Marsh Rd.. Byxbee Park off Embarcadero.
You can also go west and head to Purisma Open Space Preserve off Skyline with some nice firetrails. Pacifica has a few too.
Old 05-08-18, 10:13 PM
prototoast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2000m2
Hello all,

New on the forum. Recently moved to the Bay Area from Seattle (most recently). I've done different types of riding over the years, Mtn bike racing in upstate NY when I was really young and road racing in college. I'm trying to get back in to decent shape to join some group rides. I have a road bike, mtn bike and gravel/cross bike, so looking to learn some routes/trails in the area. I'm on the Peninsula in San Carlos.

It would be great to find some gravel, fire-road type routes nearby. Driving an hour each way to ride for an hour, ends up being a bit too much.

Thanks!
You are in luck. You basically live in the greatest cycling location in the country, as long as you've got the legs for it (lots of climbing). Just ride straight towards the coast, and voila. The only problem is a lot of the glorious, glorious fire roads in Woodside aren't bike legal.

For a few starter rides, I'd recommend:
1) up Kings Mtn Rd (paved), and then descend Purissima Creek Trail. Have some fun in Half Moon Bay, then return.
2) up Alpine to dirt Alpine, then from there you (a) hit Russian Ridge with tons of trails there, or (b) descend Stevens Creek Trail or (c) descend West Alpine to Portola Redwood State Park and Old Haul Rd

Basically, everything between 280 and Highway 1 is a cyclists paradise, and there are countless ways paved and non-paved routes can be wound together. I recommend the following reading to give you some good ideas: https://www.amazon.com/Once-Upon-Rid...dp/1521896194/
Old 05-09-18, 10:04 AM
2000m2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prototoast
You are in luck. You basically live in the greatest cycling location in the country, as long as you've got the legs for it (lots of climbing). Just ride straight towards the coast, and voila. The only problem is a lot of the glorious, glorious fire roads in Woodside aren't bike legal.

For a few starter rides, I'd recommend:
1) up Kings Mtn Rd (paved), and then descend Purissima Creek Trail. Have some fun in Half Moon Bay, then return.
2) up Alpine to dirt Alpine, then from there you (a) hit Russian Ridge with tons of trails there, or (b) descend Stevens Creek Trail or (c) descend West Alpine to Portola Redwood State Park and Old Haul Rd

Basically, everything between 280 and Highway 1 is a cyclists paradise, and there are countless ways paved and non-paved routes can be wound together. I recommend the following reading to give you some good ideas:
Cool, thanks for the recommendations. I'll need to get in shape to tackle those hills! I've been out on the Russian Ridge Trail a few times with my mountain bike. It's gorgeous up there.

That book looks really helpful too, I'll have to check it out.
Old 05-09-18, 04:14 PM
SanFranCyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000m2
Cool, thanks for the recommendations. I'll need to get in shape to tackle those hills! I've been out on the Russian Ridge Trail a few times with my mountain bike. It's gorgeous up there.

That book looks really helpful too, I'll have to check it out.
The Pearson-Atrastradero Preserve has some nice trails as well in Palo Alto, right off I-280 South. I've been there quite a few times and I still have yet to climb up and down all those paths there. There's a parking lot right off Arastradero Road, but it does get filled up because of other people, but it's definitely very nice. I always spend at least 2-3 hours minimum out there enjoying the sunshine.
Old 05-09-18, 04:20 PM
2000m2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SanFranCyclist
The Pearson-Atrastradero Preserve has some nice trails as well in Palo Alto, right off I-280 South. I've been there quite a few times and I still have yet to climb up and down all those paths there. There's a parking lot right off Arastradero Road, but it does get filled up because of other people, but it's definitely very nice. I always spend at least 2-3 hours minimum out there enjoying the sunshine.
Do you ride your CAADX there?
Old 05-09-18, 04:26 PM
SanFranCyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i sure do! no problems at all.
Old 05-13-18, 06:42 PM
2000m2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Welcome to the Bay!
Quite a few riding areas near you. There's the Bay Trail . There's also Bedwell Bayfront Park off Marsh Rd.. Byxbee Park off Embarcadero.
You can also go west and head to Purisma Open Space Preserve off Skyline with some nice firetrails. Pacifica has a few too.
Cool, thanks, Lots to look in to! We go hiking in Pacifica frequently with our dogs since it tends to stay cool over there. Gorgeous views of the water are nice too.
Old 05-21-18, 07:11 AM
sodbuster72

Bikes: '85 Bianchi Sport SS, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello all. I'm in Dos Palos, which is small and rural enough that I'm probably the only one here from here. I think most of the NorCal board is Bay Area. On the off chance there is a small contingent from the S J Valley here, I thought I'd check in. It's close to 3 hours to SF or Sac from here...
Old 08-01-19, 09:33 PM
Kedge Drahl

Bikes: 79 Tour Easy , 96 Vision R-40, 2018 Terratrike Gran tourismo, 20011 Terratrike Path

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Farther up in Northern California

Hello:

Names Keith and we live in Willows Ca. 90 south of Redding on I-5

My Wife and I ride Terratrikes
My Son Rides a 96 Vision R-40
And the Grand kids ride whatever doesn't have a flat tire.
We ride the Valley floor a lot. Also go over to Bidwell Park in Chico Ca.
Likes For Kedge Drahl:
Old 05-05-20, 07:29 PM
FixedGearFix

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Howdy folks, just moved to Walnut Creek and started getting back into cycling. First it was mountain bikes (avid dirtbiker) and then more recently I picked up an older aluminum road bike to help me cross-train. For MTB's I've only ridden Shell Ridge and Lime ridge so far. Road you can usually find me on the IHT or Ygnacio canal trail. Looking forward to some group rides and bike parties if those are still a thing.
Old 08-10-20, 06:41 PM
paloaltan

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Hi, I'm a 35 year old native Palo Altan. Haven't regularly ridden a bike in nearly 20 years but picked it back up again due to COVID. Riding around in a green 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata.

Last edited by paloaltan; 08-10-20 at 10:32 PM.
Likes For paloaltan:
Old 08-17-20, 11:30 PM
Banxwondar

Bikes: Felt VR3

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by paloaltan
Hi, I'm a 35 year old native Palo Altan. Haven't regularly ridden a bike in nearly 20 years but picked it back up again due to COVID. Riding around in a green 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata.
Awesome! I love Palo Alto rides!

Hi, I’m 37, San Jose native. Climbing the Bay Area hills in my Felt Vr3. Happy riding!
Likes For Banxwondar:
Old 12-24-20, 12:21 PM
kbar1982

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey 1x12 27.5x3, Diamondback Haanjo Metro

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Anyone in northern Nor Cal? Like above Sac lol!! I'm up in the very NE corner, outdoors paradise!!
Likes For kbar1982:
Old 12-28-20, 05:21 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by kbar1982
Anyone in northern Nor Cal? Like above Sac lol!! I'm up in the very NE corner, outdoors paradise!!
Close; I'm in the NW corner. Welcome!
Old 12-28-20, 06:20 PM
kbar1982

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey 1x12 27.5x3, Diamondback Haanjo Metro

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I used to live in Ferndale, honestly wouldn't mind ending up back over there, I love the north coast!
Old 01-04-21, 09:02 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by paloaltan
Nice! I'm in East Palo Alto and I also am riding a green 2020 Stigmata. I haven't seen another Stigmata out in the wild yet, but have talked to a few riders that are planning on getting one. I love this bike.

I'm 53 and have been cycling for a lot of my life in addition to other sports. I primarily rode mountain bikes for many years and after some serious injuries had a break from sports for years even though I did keep up my fitness with a home gym.

I got a Peloton a while ago and incorporated spin classes into my workouts really seriously and then last year during the beginning of the SIP decided I needed a real bike again as well and the Stigmata was it. I've been seriously riding a lot of the local road loops and linking trails into my rides as needed. I'm about 80 - 90 percent road at the moment.

Anyone in the area that would like to add me on Strava, my username is: Kai Johnson.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 02-01-21, 10:59 PM
dutch.

Bikes: Brooklyn Bedford 3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm in Milpitas.. Just picked up a black Brooklyn Bedford 3spd after being off the bike for the last 15 years.
Initial plan is just casual riding around the area, but we'll see how that goes. Looking forward to getting back into it!

Last edited by dutch.; 02-02-21 at 02:33 AM.
Old 02-27-21, 01:13 PM
TooLegit

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
👋 I’m in Dublin
Old 03-04-21, 10:03 PM
sjammer

Bikes: Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 41 Posts
Belmont checking in. I am right in the middle of the Peninsula. Most of my riding has been out by the SF Bay Trail so far.
Likes For sjammer:
Old 04-02-21, 09:52 AM
PadreM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in the south bay towards S San Jose. I am kind of out of shape, so I am working on getting a bit of my skills up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.