Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

A good appetite suppressant?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 02-24-08, 06:51 PM
Trucker_JDub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Before I get slammed:
I am NOT looking for that magic weight loss pill.
I am NOT wanting to stay awake for a week and never eat.
I am NOT looking for extra energy.

I DO want something I can take/eat/drink that will kill my food craving in the evenings before I go to bed.

One of my biggest weight loss problems is that I like to have a 'bedtime snack' especially if I work out in the evening. I get the same feeling any time I workout but in the evening I don't want to eat before I go to sleep because my body will be more likely to store it. When I get hungry like that its hard to keep from eating badly. I usually have some fresh fruit or a small bowl of unsweetened oatmeal while drinking lots of water but I also find my self eating things I shouldn't be. A lot of the time I still find myself laying in bed feeling hungry when I did eat something small and healthy. I tried eating a lot of raw carrots and celery as these are 'free' foods and I never get satisfied no matter how much I eat. I heard once that taking a fiber pill with a lot of water was suppose to help but it didn't work for me. I am seeing good results in my training and am to the point where I love to be drenched in sweat while pounding my pedals or watching my arms bulging on the weights. The pain the next day has started to become addictive. I almost feel like I didn't do enough if something on my body isn't soar the next day. I say this to show that I am NOT looking for a get slim quick method. I want to earn it.

What do you do to keep the hunger feelings knocked down when you know your body has all the fuel you need and you still feel like you haven't eaten in days?
Old 02-24-08, 07:35 PM
Holyspokes
Goat

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your looking to lose weight, just don't eat. Think of it as part of the sacrifice that your looking to earn. If you want to be a stronger rider, just eat.
Old 02-24-08, 07:43 PM
Nickel
Splicer of Molecules

Bikes: Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might want to try something with protein and a little bit of fat. If you know you are going to be hungry, you can just incorporate your pre-bed snack into your daily Caloric intake. I like to have a piece of fruit and a little bit of peanut butter or a protein shake.
Old 02-24-08, 08:03 PM
AirBeagle1
2nd Century TBD

Bikes: Felt F75, Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know the feeling... I don't have any magic solution, but I have found that if I can force myself to drink a pint of water (kept in the fridge in a bottle all ready to pull out easily) before I eat anything solid, I seem to do better with ignoring the craving altogether or finding something smaller/healthier.
Old 02-24-08, 08:21 PM
flip18436572
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are working out before you go to bed, you may actually only be needing fluids. A lot of times your body is not telling you it is hungry, it is telling you it is thirsty. Try drinking some water and giving it 15 minutes.
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
Old 02-25-08, 12:05 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I think it's an old wive's tale that eating before bed will make you fat. I lost 100 pounds even though I ate a bedtime snack every night.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-25-08, 01:40 AM
ZXiMan
Raptor Custom Bicycles

Bikes: Raptor Bicycles... Fully custom carbon bikes... just the way you want them!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advocare MNS Gold works wonders for me.
Old 02-25-08, 10:09 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by flip18436572
If you are working out before you go to bed, you may actually only be needing fluids. A lot of times your body is not telling you it is hungry, it is telling you it is thirsty. Try drinking some water and giving it 15 minutes.
Or tea ... or hot water with lemon. Then brush your teeth - signalling to yourself that you're done for the night. Then you won't want to eat because you'll have to brush all over again

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 02-25-08, 02:17 PM
carbondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try an handful of unsalted nuts, like walnuts, pecans. Protein, oils. Been proven to make people eat less if eaten before a meal.
Old 02-25-08, 10:43 PM
mazpr
Banned.

Bikes: Tirreno Razza 900, Trek 750

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It may seem strange; black coffee with no sugar.
Old 02-25-08, 11:09 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Nickel
You might want to try something with protein and a little bit of fat. If you know you are going to be hungry, you can just incorporate your pre-bed snack into your daily Caloric intake. I like to have a piece of fruit and a little bit of peanut butter or a protein shake.
I am with Nickel on this one. If you know you are going to snack just incorporate it in to your diet. I think people giving the whole "two hours before sleep" too much weight/credit. In the end formula is simple Calories in - calories out.
Old 02-25-08, 11:38 PM
Jarery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For snacks, try pickles. They are only a few calories each and the vinegar makes it so you cant eat too many. But your sodium intake goes through the roof

Whey protein and milk drink or whey shake

Matcha tea
Old 02-26-08, 01:12 AM
humboldt'sroads
Chieftain

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale CAADX 105; Wabi Classic Fixed Gear

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drink juice, or do as was suggested: account for it in your daily food intake.
Old 02-26-08, 11:24 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Jarery
For snacks, try pickles. They are only a few calories each and the vinegar makes it so you cant eat too many. But your sodium intake goes through the roof
That's interesting. I always found that eating sour pickles would take away my cravings to eat something sweet. I always thought it was just me.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-26-08, 05:29 PM
kopid03
Runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i agree with the pickle idea. one of my friends chops up pickles and puts salsa over them. a big bowl of that would be about 50-75 calories
Old 02-27-08, 12:16 AM
brianallan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would just add this. Eating before bed is not as bad as you may think, and eating food with protein and fat content as earlier mentioned, prolongs your appetite from coming back. If you're trying to lose weight, just focus on creating a calorie deficit. I'm trying to lose a few lbs for the season, and from my reading, the recommended weight loss range is 1 to 2 lbs a week, which is about 500-1000 calories less a day than you're taking in. If you ride your bike and eat 3000 calories a day, you're probably still in a state of caloric deficit. Just be patient, it takes time for your body to adjust to cutting back on food.
Old 02-27-08, 12:17 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

One thing I read makes sense to me. If you're not hungry when you wake up, it means you ate too much the night before. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-27-08, 01:07 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carbondale
Try an handful of unsalted nuts, like walnuts, pecans. Protein, oils. Been proven to make people eat less if eaten before a meal.
For many people, nuts are a "substance abuse issue". They are very, very high in calories, and it's very easy to eat 400+ calories without even thinking about it.

They do have many good health qualities, but if you are unable to carefully control your intake, they can be one of the "healthy" foods that ends up sabotaging your diet plans.
Old 02-27-08, 01:09 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ECA. But, be aware that it may not be safe...
Old 03-04-08, 04:34 PM
zowie

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I find eating a huge bowl of pasta kills my food craving.
Old 03-04-08, 09:37 PM
wabbit
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think having a bedtime snack is not what makes you fat...it's what you eat before bed. A banana, a muffin, etc...that won't make you fat.Look at the countries where people eat dinner at 10 pm! it's just that they don't eat american food....
Old 03-06-08, 01:39 AM
RideMore
Yeah, it's a freewheel...

Bikes: '85 De Rosa:Super Record; '91 Trek 2100:600/Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wabbit
...A banana, a muffin, etc...that won't make you fat.....
Respectfully, that is EXACTLY what will make you fat. Shooting for weight loss and muscle gain means ZERO carbs at last meal. This is slice of cheese time, or burger patty or broiled chicken leg.

And to agree with some earlier thoughts expressed:
*drink that 16 oz. glass of water before that last snack
*a small cup of coffee (6oz. - did you know that is one whole serving?) black, non-sugar sweetener and whole cream or nothing. If you just worked out before retiring - as in your heart rate is still elevated - the caffeine will cause a rise in insulin production which your body will use as it rebuilds muscle tissue. You can have this just before your workout, if you wish.

Best of luck with your goals!
Old 03-06-08, 02:14 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Calcium pill or TUMS ... will reduce menstrual cramps, PMS symptoms, and those pre-period munchies.

My appetite noticeably decreases when I'm taking calcium regularly.
Old 03-06-08, 12:05 PM
fitrider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey Buddy,

I have suffered from midnight munchies for as long as I can remember, I noticed I was just eating **** in the middle of the night- and didn't have much control over what i was eating as I was so tired. What i do now is eat some pancakes before I go to bed - obviously have 20 mins before hitting the sack- but this seems to keep me happy till the morninng and was a better alternative for me!
Old 03-06-08, 12:28 PM
moyieriverman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you should just have a big glass of water. I know half the time when I feel hungry I'm really just thirsty. I used to come home from work at 9pm and eat...bad news, those calories just go to the waistline. The past 9 months I've lost 171 lbs through eating correctly and exercising. Now I don't eat after 7pm at all. If I get hungry after 7pm I just have a big glass of water or some crystal light. I hate to say it, but 95% of weight loss is having the right mental attitude and determination to follow through.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.