Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Show Us Your BMC

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Show Us Your BMC

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-10, 09:16 PM
go4gr8
Mountain goat

Bikes: BMC Team Machine SLR01, (RIP) BMC Team Machine SLT01, CDale SuperV400, Cramerotti Genius Nivacrom, C'Dale R600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yaniel
nice pic! i've done a couple of crits on mine, and a time trial.
Nice!!!
Old 05-06-10, 09:18 PM
go4gr8
Mountain goat

Bikes: BMC Team Machine SLR01, (RIP) BMC Team Machine SLT01, CDale SuperV400, Cramerotti Genius Nivacrom, C'Dale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FixdGearHead
Of course!
Crits and hill climbs...tho do have to admit that it took a while to get over the beauty of the bike and come to grips that it's just a tool.
That's the actual beauty of it! That it's great to look at, you still get compliments AND it works fantastically! Having ridden a Trek 2100 way back when and then riding steel for a long time, now back to a carbon frame, I had forgotten how responsive CF bikes are. And BMC just makes it better with its great looks.
Old 05-06-10, 09:21 PM
go4gr8
Mountain goat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
those with roadracers, does your streampost creak? mine is annoying the hell out of me on every ride with this "cracking" sound every 20 seconds. i've tried adjusting the tension on it but it still does it.
What do you mean by "streampost?

Also, my headset (I think) has been creaking when out-of saddle climbing so I'll have to get some carbon paste to remedy it. I recently learned not to use conventional grease on carbon parts.
Old 05-06-10, 09:31 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by go4gr8
It's the seatpost assembly they have on the SLX01 Racemaster and SL01 Road Racer frames. It's got a wedge like the old quill stems, and is loosened by a cam bolt.

The pictures of the '10 models show a gasket-like rubber collar at the top of the seat tube, so maybe they added it to quiet the post and keep contaminants from working their way down the tube.
Old 05-07-10, 05:52 AM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
It's the seatpost assembly they have on the SLX01 Racemaster and SL01 Road Racer frames. It's got a wedge like the old quill stems, and is loosened by a cam bolt.

The pictures of the '10 models show a gasket-like rubber collar at the top of the seat tube, so maybe they added it to quiet the post and keep contaminants from working their way down the tube.
I have the gasket on mine, and funny enough, it started after I put it on. Maybe it was because I removed the post to put it on and then the grit that was already there got wedged between the post and the tube. I'll probably clean it out this weekend.
Old 05-07-10, 11:00 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
^^ Sounds like a plan. I'll probably just tape over the seam once I settle on a height.

I think it's a neat feature, but I'd agree with people who don't like how it prevents seatpost choice (although I think that extremely-angled seatposts mean you need a different size or a custom frame), and any weight savings will be negated by my Brooks saddle.
Old 05-07-10, 01:07 PM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Bikes: Brompton S2L

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage queen!
haha! Nah, just, this is my only road bike, I want it to last!
Old 05-07-10, 08:35 PM
hansel

Bikes: '09 BMC roadracer, CAAD3, CAAD4,'88 Steel Custom, F moser track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the gasket on mine, and funny enough, it started after I put it on. Maybe it was because I removed the post to put it on and then the grit that was already there got wedged between the post and the tube. I'll probably clean it out this weekend.
try putting a layer of electrical tape around the postw where it enters the tube. I just looked at my post and the carbon strands that connect the wedge to the bolt at the top were almost all snapped!! . Looks like i need a new seat post. I haven't really adjusted it at all which makes me surprised.
Old 05-07-10, 08:58 PM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tsuru
nope, my bike is quiet as a mouse.
mice squeak

I haven't had any problems either. Using paste and torque wrench.
Old 05-08-10, 05:53 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hansel
try putting a layer of electrical tape around the postw where it enters the tube. I just looked at my post and the carbon strands that connect the wedge to the bolt at the top were almost all snapped!! . Looks like i need a new seat post. I haven't really adjusted it at all which makes me surprised.
Hmm, that sucks. Wonder if they could use Kevlar instead -- it's pretty low-stretch.
Old 05-08-10, 06:29 AM
hansel

Bikes: '09 BMC roadracer, CAAD3, CAAD4,'88 Steel Custom, F moser track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, that sucks. Wonder if they could use Kevlar instead -- it's pretty low-stretch.
yeah that would work even better. It would almost eliminate the need to adjust it. Its a good thing the guys at BMC north america are so cool. I emailed them last night at 9:30pm they responded 10min later and said i could gt one by Tuesday! great customer serivce
Old 05-08-10, 08:26 AM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rollin
mice squeak

I haven't had any problems either. Using paste and torque wrench.
AH! Touche! lol.... didn't even think of that.
Old 05-12-10, 08:15 PM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New bartape, back to the Aliante, new water cages (and bottle), Shimano pedals, and some minor swag... time for fresh pix!

Old 05-12-10, 08:24 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitro
^^^ the streampost on my racemaster has started doing the same thing. Seems to be getting worse. Anyone know if there's something to grease that will help this go away?
Yaniel heard mine last week... started doing the darn noise maybe for week and a half and yes is annoying as hell I was thinking on putting some grease to the seatpost but wonder how bad it could be due to the streampost system.
Old 05-12-10, 08:26 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Also, my headset (I think) has been creaking when out-of saddle climbing so I'll have to get some carbon paste to remedy it. I recently learned not to use conventional grease on carbon parts.
You dont have the streampost... the streampost it is a quill type of seatpost that the Road Racer uses.
Old 05-12-10, 08:30 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just in case the streampost seat clamp are identical to the ones in a easton ea50 seatpost, so if by any reason you busted out the clamps just get one of those and move the parts over, wonder if easton is making those streamposts also. And wonder even more if someone will come with an AL version of the streampost.

Old 05-13-10, 11:08 AM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys still got a squeaky butt? Man, that would drive me nuts. My BB was creaking after a tune-up the other week, had that thing back in the shop the next day! lol.
Old 05-13-10, 11:09 AM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys still got a squeaky butt? Man, that would drive me nuts. My BB was creaking after a tune-up the other week, had that thing back in the shop the next day! lol.
Its driving me insane. It never happens in the group rides where I really wouldn't mind it. It only happens while riding solo and suffering. Just to make it that much worse.
Old 05-13-10, 12:09 PM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its driving me insane. It never happens in the group rides where I really wouldn't mind it. It only happens while riding solo and suffering. Just to make it that much worse.
Sorry man... hope it gets figured out soon. What did your LBS say?
Old 05-13-10, 12:11 PM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry man... hope it gets figured out soon. What did your LBS say?
Haven't taken it by any LBS, especially since it has that annoying habit of only making the noise when I'm alone and suffering. I can't even replicate it at home.
Old 05-13-10, 12:26 PM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I keep seeing this thread so I thought I'd snap a shot since my BMC sits against the wall of my office. I posted a pic when I first got it but sorted out the steerer and stem so it's finally where I want it. Now I know it's not up to BF photo standards since I used the camera on my phone and I couldn't be bothered to get the drivetrain showing.

Old 05-13-10, 12:52 PM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't taken it by any LBS, especially since it has that annoying habit of only making the noise when I'm alone and suffering. I can't even replicate it at home.
I hear ya, when I went back after my BB was still creaking, they were a little incredulous at first, so I took him out to the parking lot and showed them. But, if you can't dupe it at the LBS, I don't know, I'd still take it in, they may have dealt with that kind of problem before and have a nice little remedy?? not sure.
Old 05-13-10, 12:54 PM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadiejorge
I keep seeing this thread so I thought I'd snap a shot since my BMC sits against the wall of my office. I posted a pic when I first got it but sorted out the steerer and stem so it's finally where I want it. Now I know it's not up to BF photo standards since I used the camera on my phone and I couldn't be bothered to get the drivetrain showing.

Not enough blue/black bikes out there, IMO! That's pretty hot!
Old 05-13-10, 02:43 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
me likes it
Old 05-26-10, 06:11 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not yet; it was listed as backordered on the order confirmation email. That date has come and passed, though, but I'll give them a couple more days before I ask about its status. I'm pretty patient anyway.
Been a while, but after a note from CC a couple weeks ago and some emails with Andy about sizing, I'll have a size 58 '10 SLX in red n' white shipping by the end of the month.

(long version)

I got an email saying that they ran out of the yellow '09 SLX's, and they asked if I'd like to change it to the current model, which comes in red, and give me a price break. If you can believe it, I dreamt about getting that exact email only a couple days before it happened. I had had doubts about whether the 56 that I originally ordered really was the right size after all, though. I had demoed one for a week, and although it felt pretty good, I couldn't help but put my hands as far out on its Campy Chorus shifter hoods as possible. Since I was going to be using DA 7800 on my bike, I wouldn't be able to ride with my hands so far forward.

Andy and I sent some emails back & forth, talking about the bike setup I've got now, and I eventually used their fit calculator. The results put me square in the middle of a size 58 with a 110 mm stem, and Andy agreed. So, with my permission, he switched the order, charged me the closeout price (cool), and I'll soon be getting my frameset.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.