Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

unexpected benefit of cycling

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-10, 05:41 PM
Jessica
cut my gas use in half

Bikes: walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently got an electric bicycle, so I am no longer pedaling for seventy minutes to get home. I get home in fourty five, and greatly appreciate the returned time, which I now get to spend on my home and family.

Something funny, tho'. I have to get a coat. The whole time I was pedaling for seventy minutes, the point was transportation, not weight or speed. But I did not need a coat. I was always warm enough to wear a light windbreaker in the winter. Got so I did not even have a proper coat. And now, since I am not contributing the labor for the trip home, it's cold!.

I have been pedaling more and more recently, because I find I enjoy the ride more, even if my pedaling is not really contributing to my speed to get home. And I have even tried to sprint faster than the electric motor (which kicks out at 20 mph) (not that I can, but I can try....) as a way of changing up the ride.

anybody else give up their coat?
Old 10-28-10, 07:00 PM
cracker7213

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love this feeling. When you are cruising and you are keeping yourself warm. A really cool feeling. No Pun!
Old 10-28-10, 08:11 PM
swwhite

Bikes: Trek 4300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have not given up a coat, but I do notice that I never am cold when riding, even at 20 below.
Old 10-28-10, 10:10 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I have a few different coats, but never wear an insulated one while I'm cycling. Even when the water in my bottle freezes.
Old 10-28-10, 10:36 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never needed one, although, I have arm warmers, and long sleeves in Jan-Feb... but it doesn't get as cold down here in So-Cal.
Old 10-28-10, 10:43 PM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I know your feeling. I rode in to work on Tuesday with just my bike shorts and short sleeve jersey. I won't do that again. My legs and arms were red and I could feel the cold sapping the strength out of legs. It took about 2 hours at work before I warmed back up and my skin wasn't cold anymore.
Old 10-29-10, 10:33 AM
Jessica
cut my gas use in half

Bikes: walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I guess I did not make myself clear. What I meant is that I did not need a coat at the times I was not on the bike... that my metabolism sped up to the point that I was warm enough when NOT CYCLING that I did not own a coat. Just a wind breaker and a pair of pants of the same stuff. Only wore the full suit when I was riding, and when I was not riding, the wind breaker was enough.

weird.
Old 10-29-10, 11:02 AM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jessica
Wow, I guess I did not make myself clear. What I meant is that I did not need a coat at the times I was not on the bike... that my metabolism sped up to the point that I was warm enough when NOT CYCLING that I did not own a coat. Just a wind breaker and a pair of pants of the same stuff. Only wore the full suit when I was riding, and when I was not riding, the wind breaker was enough.

weird.
Oh.. yeah, that wasn't very clear, but I can't say the same. I need my jacket when i'm not on the bike. When i'm on it, i'm warm enough from riding.
Old 10-29-10, 05:53 PM
MDobrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been this way since High School, and I just turned 30 this week. I've guess I've stayed active enough to keep a good "burn" going on the inside. My friends all make fun of me for wearing shorts in the winter (they are far more comfortable than long pants iMO), and I can typically get away with a Long Sleeve shirt down into the 30s and stay comfy when off the bike.
Old 10-30-10, 08:25 AM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My whole point of riding is the exercise and I like being active enough that I make enough heat to handle the fall temps. The few extra minutes saved by driving is not as valuable as the better health I get. I will ride in shorts and a light jacket/windbreak in the mid 40's. Thought about leg and arm warmers to get a to the low 40's but I spend a lot of time away from my desk in the office working in the Warehouse so it is time for pants at work.

I think this is the end of the shorts for the season for me. Frost on the cars this morning and it was cold enough at work I had a jacket on all day yesterday and the heaters were on.

Like the weekend rides where it is just right for insulated tights and a light jacket but not practical for wearing to work.
Old 10-30-10, 09:52 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I din't catch that either. I feel the extra warmth after exercising, but still get pretty chilled at times.
Old 10-30-10, 01:27 PM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
definitely don't give up my heavy coat, gloves, windproof mountain hardwear hat, or any of that when it gets cold.

Then again, the mountains of Virginia are much colder than Sacramento
Old 10-30-10, 05:14 PM
CptjohnC
Old, but not really wise

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dew Drop (the daily driver),'07 Specialized Roubaix (the sports car), '99 ish Kona NuNu MTB (the SUV), Schwinn High Plains (circa 1992?) (the beater)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I very rarely wear a real coat, though this has nothing to do with cycling. When it's cold, I wear a heavier shell, but almost never insulation. I do like gloves a lot, though. Frequently in winter I wear a sweater or sweatshirt and gloves (and a hat if its really cold). It has to be well below freezing and windy for me to want to wear an insulated layer.

I haven't cycled through winter yet, so we'll see how I do.

I would think most of the folks who do serious miles would get cold easily, as they have little body fat for insulation -- this does not (unfortunately) describe me.
Old 10-31-10, 07:16 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
20mph, traffic permitting, is by no means out of reach using your own "horsepower".
My commute is approx. 13 miles 1-way, which I typically cover in <40 min on average, riding time (changing/loading/unloading not included). That said, I typically spend <2min waiting for traffic or lights, but waiting time doesn't really enter into the argument, I think.
Old 11-01-10, 03:25 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe if the OP bought a *real* bike we wouldn't all be having this conversation
Old 11-01-10, 06:43 AM
closetbiker

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
It's very common that people don't understand how riding keeps the rider warm.

I often hear, "But it's so cold out..." when they learn I rode in.

I guess so few people exercise, let alone exercise outside in cooler temperatures, that they can't grasp how little you need to wear compared to just standing outside not exercising on a cool day.
Old 11-01-10, 07:01 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts
Maybe this explains those naked bikers one sees on the internet every now and then. At least, so I've heard....