Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

2014 Pie Ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

2014 Pie Ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-14, 09:38 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
2014 Pie Ride

I've been anxiously waiting for "someone" to post something about this years Pie Ride. I can wait no longer .. so here it is. Perhaps many, or some, of you have been enjoying pie after every ride? Not me. I've been waiting 11 months and 2 weeks since my last Pie Ride.

This year our ride will take us past the very orchards from where the fruit will be harvested for our pies. Yumm.

Is anyone else carrying on with the tradition?
Old 09-05-14, 07:55 AM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Pie after a ride? Sounds good to me. When and where?
Old 09-05-14, 04:05 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Lately I've been stocking up on elderberry pie (pun not intended) courtesy of the neighbor lady. I should be ready in a couple of weeks.

For the uninitiated-the pie ride is the 3rd full week-end(if my memory serves me correctly) of sept. It requires that you ride enough miles that you earn a fine piece of pie. Karmic points for locally produced.
Old 09-06-14, 07:23 AM
LongKayak

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, Blix Aveny

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here in Omaha NE, the Omaha Pedalers host an annual Pie Ride, albeit earlier in the season. Their route takes them to four or five purveyors of pastry, and at the end they vote for the best.
Old 09-06-14, 09:02 AM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

I've planned two overlapping routes this year, to accommodate the recreational from speedy social riders. Hopefully if it works, we'll all start and finish at approximately the same time. Then we'll savour a variety of pies from a local farm to table establishment. I recall reading rules about the length of ride and even the type of pie, however I prefer a little more relaxed approach. For some of the cyclists joining us this year (I use the term loosely) this ride may double their annual mileage. Ie. not much. It's intended to be a fun event among friends, new and old, and enjoy an afternoon of cycling, food and friendship.

Unfortunately the 3rd weekend doesn't work with some of our friends' schedule this year, so we've bumped it up a week.

PS What happened to qpsamme's post?
Old 09-06-14, 09:10 AM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
What a wonderful excuse to bake a pumpkin pie.
Old 09-06-14, 09:14 AM
jtaylor2

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
+1

IMHO there is a group who are running the forum with PM's between themselves and then targeted complaints to ever compliant mods. It has lost the feeling of relaxation, friendliness and openness from years ago, which is why a number of folks have left and formed another option. It is not the forum we started.
I agree that this place isn't much fun any more and I miss the people that used to be here and the way it used to be when I joined. If those that have left have indeed formed another option please post send me a PM.

Jim
Old 09-13-14, 08:02 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jtaylor2
I agree that this place isn't much fun any more and I miss the people that used to be here and the way it used to be when I joined. If those that have left have indeed formed another option please post send me a PM.

Jim
PM sent about new group with some great old 50+ folks.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-13-14 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-13-14, 10:12 AM
h2oxtc

Today is Pie Day (unofficially) - it fits with our schedule this month AND it's a beautiful sunny day with a forecast high of 73. Perfect.

A dozen friends, a bike friendly route through the orchards and farms in town, lots of pie (and hopefully ice cream). Pics to come later.
Old 09-13-14, 06:41 PM
Louis Le Tour

Location: Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.

Bikes: Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Geeze, I hope to LOSE weight when I start my CC ride next year, this does not seem like a part of the program, however I've been known to "alter" my diet from time to time.
Old 09-13-14, 06:48 PM
h2oxtc

2014 Okanagan Pie Ride. Peach, Apple and Rhubarb pies with Tim Hortons coffee at the park. Great ride!

Old 09-14-14, 06:30 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Kind'a but I don't think that I followed all of the rules.

The pie was home made apple, ala mode of course, and it was GOOD!
Old 09-18-14, 12:12 PM
Consularrider

Bikes: Surly Pugsley, Jamis Renegade, Kona Rove, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm hoping for some pie on the Eastern Shore on Saturday's metric out of Oxford, MD.
Old 09-19-14, 02:15 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Well, I did my pie ride one day early, that is today. I must also confess that I didn't eat pie. This week-end in town there is the 100th year Cheese Days, a celebration where 100,000 people get drunk and eat cheese. I skipped the getting drunk part and instead of pie ate deep fried cheese curds. Tastes as good as it sounds and to me it sounds fine. MMMMMMMM

26 mile on the Badger rail trail which was nice. The only problem was a friend with whom I rode was having a problem with his I-phone app and kept slowing down and playing with it. I finally told him to turn it off and ride the bike, although he may have been using it as an excuse to slow down. One never knows.
Old 09-19-14, 10:53 PM
h2oxtc

Originally Posted by rck
... deep fried cheese curds. Tastes as good as it sounds and to me it sounds fine. MMMMMMMM
Serious? I'll stick to pie, thanks. Glad that you got in the ride.
Old 09-20-14, 11:06 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Not much response. This used to be a big deal here. In fact, I used to feel like it meant a whole lot less to me than to many here who seemed almost obsessed by pie.

Anyway, I waited too long to plan a pie ride for the club, though I did post something on our Facebook page and a handful posted pics of their after-ride pie or other desserts. After a busy morning and midday of chores and errands, I finally got out for a 23 mile ride around 3:30. Fortunately, today was one of the first mild days of the changing season here, so it was actually a pleasant 80ish degrees when I rode. After cleaning up, I had a slice of grocery store cherry pie I had heated up and topped with a scoop of frozen yogurt. I washed it down with a Terrapin Liquid Bliss Chocolate & Peanut Butter Porter. Yummy.

Pie Ride - Baldwin County, GA

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pie2014.jpg (99.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-21-14, 04:18 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
While it wasn't pie, I did my cinnamon roll ride today.

It's a 40 mile out and back ride with a break at the turnaround for coffee and a pastry at a local place that's a hangout for cyclists here in Tucson.

it's also the most like a little Seattle coffee place I've found here since I moved from Seattle (not Charbucks).